Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
How was Storm in X-Men Apocalypse? Having her included actually made me less enthusiastic about the movie, being as that she was the shittiest part of the original trilogy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Retro Futurist posted:

She's barely in it, but she's good in what she's in

Good. Like, I get that a lot of what annoyed me about Storm isn't the character, per se, as it was the "Halle Berry is a big thing right now, so let's make her role bigger and bigger even if it doesn't work and she's actually pretty terrible", but it's still left me kind of wary about anything Storm-related.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

FilthyImp posted:

It's pretty clear that the story they wanted to tell with her was done in one, but they kept the character around because of name recognition. I'm kind of glad they don't force her to be plot relevant too much in the sequels (unlike Storm...)

That was more Halle Berry being a big name than Storm being a popular character at that point. And Halle Berry was beyond awful in those movies.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah, people are 75 percent water, so if it's pumping out enough microwaves to flash-boil all the water around it in pipes, people are gonna have a real bad time.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Aphrodite posted:

You can aim it.

It would only incinerate anyone under the tracks, and those are mostly the homeless so nobody will miss them.

Man, no need to dump it into the water supply, then, just put it in water bottles, give those to the homeless, and voila! It'll be a panic attack twofer of exploding homeless people releasing fear toxin!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Oh good god, it's Lord and Miller. Gonna watch the poo poo out of this.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

David D. Davidson posted:

There actually was a band called steppenwolf, they made Born to be Wild.

They're the only Steppenwolf I have any kind of familiarity with, so it's what my brain defaults to when I'm reading summaries, which probably makes the movie sound a lot better than it really is.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I wonder what the dropoff is going to be like. It'll be interesting to see how well the whole rotten tomatoes "reveal" thing protected the initial numbers vs. what the numbers turn into with the word of mouth/36 percent tomatometer

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rough Lobster posted:

That's not surprising at all, actually.

When I hear "superhero that sucks" I pretty much always think "aquaman"

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

JT Smiley posted:

Why on Earth would you scrap Wonder Woman? AKA, the only universally liked movie/ character in this entire universe.

I went and rewatched Wonder Woman recently and while it was a pretty good movie, I feel like a lot of the hype had to do with it being the first D.C. Movie that wasn't a complete dumpster fire. It was good, but the "holy poo poo, wow!" reaction feels a little oversold in retrospect.

Also that "hyrdrogen based mustard gas, instead of sulfur thing" still annoys me.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

RevKrule posted:

Original estimates were $120. They shifted down to $110 in like the past 3 days (basically since review embargo was lifted). Now it's shifted down again to $95.

This is not a good sign for the DCEU and I can only hope it leads to a lot of soul searching and heads rolling because it really is kind of unacceptable that they can't put out a product with regularity that's close to Marvel.

Here's the thing about Marvel, that I'm sure someone will "well, actually" me on on account of shots looking like TV or something. Err, wait, no, not posting in CD. But that part still stands, since it's what the "Snyder as an auteur" types often miss-

Every marvel series has felt like it's own thing. Even the early ones. Iron Man was a movie that used humor to make the story of a conflicted war profiteer palatable. The Hulk had science gone too far and a reluctant hero. Captain America was an amped up war serial. That continued, and you had sci-fi comedies like GotG, and heist movies like ant-man. It casts a wide net, it lets you get a lot of different talent, and it makes crossovers fun. Hell, I'm kind of lukewarm on The Avengers now, but when it came out, I was like "HOLY poo poo, THE AVENGERS AS A MOVIE!?" The variation meant that a lot of people would have something they liked, even if every single movie wasn't for them, but that gave an appeal to the franchise. Well, I liked guardians, maybe I'll go see ant man.

D.C. Has more or less kept to one tone and style the whole time. Even Wonder Woman, which was lighter, was set during WWI, and had a plot revolving around chemical warfare. That's still pretty grim.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

fruit on the bottom posted:

I think that’s interesting, because one of the early criticisms of the MCU was that the studio was enforcing a sort of paint-by-numbers approach that IIRC sort of hit it’s peak around the first Guardians movie.

Thinking back, I don’t really know where that came from, since Hulk was very differently toned from Iron Man for example. Since it was always contrasted with the “auteur” DC style I wonder if it started from that side of the conversation?

I honestly have no idea. I just watched Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk at work this week (yes, I have the best job) and those movies are so different. Iron Man is obviously the hero in his movie, and you have these long shots of him in the suit doing Iron Man stuff. The Hulk has always been kind of a monster, and the movie treats him the same way, down to his first appearance being all quick cuts and almost horror-movie ish with the Brazilian SWAT guys and Bruce Banner actively resisting it and being on the run. It was rig hit around when The Dark Knight came out and was well regarded as a Serious Superhero Movie, so you may be right.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Jamesman posted:

If Marvel really was making, or wanted to make, the same product over and over, you'd think they's just have a couple writers and directors under contract, that would make cookie-cutter poo poo every time.

Seriously. They got Shane Black to do Iron Man 3, and he had done a very specific kind of movie with RDJ, and in general, and he nailed putting the character arc on the path they wanted for Avengers 2 and Cap 3. It's really more thought and character than you'd expect from a giant franchise, and they put out as many films in a year as the DCCU has ever.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Phylodox posted:

Why didn’t he just shave his moustache and have make-up apply a false one for his work on Mission Impossible? I mean, it would have been moot, since filming on MI was delayed, anyways, but you’d think a fake ‘stache would be a lot cheaper than CG depilation.

Paramount would not allow him to do that

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

X-O posted:

I know this is just going to start another argument but this needs to be said. This poor opening weekend that it's shaping up to have wasn't a result of a Rotten Tomato score. It wasn't a result of Wonder Woman of course, which is looking more like an anomaly than ever now,. It wasn't a result of bland uninteresting marketing or anything like that. Whether people want to believe it or not this opening weekend was a direct result of Batman v. Superman poisoning the well for the wider general audience. That movie dropped like a stone after opening weekend and people remember their experience and the negative buzz. I know some people around here like to refer to it as an "interesting failure" at worst but the bottom line is that even if Justice League is better, and I'm not sure if most people will see it that way, the audience had already made up their minds not to see this movie because that one left a bad taste in their mouths.

I completely agree. BvS took a lot of steps towards setting up JL, including cameos that had nothing to do with the plot at hand and whatnot. That's another thing the marvel movies did- they kept the crossover poo poo to post-credit scenes until it was well established. It meant that if one movie didn't work out, it wouldn't gently caress with the others.

WW had basically nothing to do with JL during the bulk of the movie.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

purple death ray posted:

The movie is bad whatever sure, but I am not ready for this revisionist history that Wonder Woman wasn't that great and only seemed better because every other DC movie is piss

I liked it when I saw it but it didn't really have lasting appeal for me. It was good, but I felt like myself and a lot of other people kind of got overly excited because, you know, every other D.C. movie was piss being boiled over an on fire dumpster.

The ending was literally the ending of Captain America but with more CGI, for shits sake

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Justice League being "artfully" grim the same weekend that The Punisher came out and actually was thoughtful about the damage that violence does to who you are as a person is probably also not great

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

twistedmentat posted:

If the GL movie gets made, it will have a better villain than Peter Skarsgard in a wheelchair.

That sounds like a really confident statement a few days after the GL movie featured "CGI thing I keep confusing for a Canadian rock band from the 60's" as a villain.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Phylodox posted:

No way is it better than Thor, if it's at the bottom of the pack. Thor is some quality stuff, baby.

Thor 2 is at the bottom of the Marvel movies for me. I forgot about that movie while I was watching it. The weird portal fight was the only thing about it I remember.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Samuringa posted:

Mate, I know we're all very euphoric over how good Ragnarok was, but let's not forget how utterly mediocre Thor 1 & 2 were. They're the bottom of the barrel of the MCU.

I'd disagree with Thor 1 being one of the worst. I haven't seen it in a long while, but I remember it having a lot of stuff I liked (the scene with Hawkeye, the bit where Thor and the professor get drunk, actually any of Thor's fish-out-of-water stuff, anything with Kat Denning's character, and the destroyer fight was pretty good.)

Iron Man 2 was pretty drat bad and totally wasted Sam Rockwell.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

fruit on the bottom posted:

I’m also noticing on my rewatches that I really do miss the phase 1 films. Most of the best stuff comes later, but there’s something charming in the simplicity.

Yeah, it feels like they really went with a 60's comic book feel, plot wise, and it worked really well.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

SonicRulez posted:

It's 2017, we can't seriously be docking films for not being 1:1 adaptations of the comics. Kitty in the Fox films barely has anything to her.

Yeah, and considering all the work they did to make DoFP a bridge between the old and the new, Logan was perfect for that.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BrianWilly posted:

That Dark Phoenix EW article kinda worries me 'cuz, yeah, it's 2017 and I don't see even a hint of superhero costumes in those photos. I'm sure they'll pop up in the film, but even Mystique seems to be dressed in the...old yellow/black uniform?...for the space mission which is like, ughhh. (Although I do like the touch of her looking subtly more human now which makes sense with her new, nicer attitude) (Look, I know it's because J-Law doesn't want the heavy makeup anymore, but either way it makes sense)

That said, some of the ideas they're tossing out do seem interesting; at bare minimum they seem have a clear vision of what they're doing. And poo poo, those Sophie Turner images just look really cool.

(:ohdear:)

I have hope for it. Apocalypse was flawed, but it wasn't unwatchable and it had some really good parts (the x-mansion stuff would have been great as its own movie, and quicksilver v apocalypse was well done). The x-men movies have been hit or miss but only once uninspired (X3 was awful)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

I watched it once and was like "Man, a good X-Men movie! That was nice."

I watched it again in recent years and no, it's....super duper loving bad. It has good scenes and sequences, especially whenever Charles or Erik are doing stuff, but a a constructed film it's so, so bad.

It wasn't an all time great, but it was pretty good and built up a lot of stuff that got used well in DofP.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The disney/fox deal was just announced ten minutes ago. It may take a year to get through regulatory stuff though

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Jamesman posted:

Never heard of the guy. Looked at his work on Wikipedia and I've never seen anything he's been in.

The Guest is pretty fantastic.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lobok posted:

This seems insane to me.

Poe was definitely supposed to die, but they filmed Oscar Isaac's stuff early enough they were able to do significant rewrites after he rocked it. He's been one of my favorite character actors since Drive. God I was so annoyed he was too prosthetic'd up to really do his thing in XMen Apocalypse.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Dec 20, 2017

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mulva posted:

Because Adam Driver is a really, really good actor.

Kylo is pretty awesome. I like that he comes across as lashing out because he's angry and upset, since that's basically the essence of the dark side.

Driver sold me on Kylo in TFA pretty well when I found saw him do the Marines thing of hitting a minor wound to have the pain piss you off and dump adrenaline, but also made him look like he was having a tantrum. It was perfect and apparently his suggestion.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Bright on Netflix is way better than the reviews suggest and has a few well-done set pieces that are about what being on the receiving side of a comic book character attack would be like.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I enjoyed Wonder Woman but I left the theater thinking a lot of the praise was over-the-top for what the movie actually was. The first act was pretty plodding, and the ending was just a giant CGI fight between two super humans while someone else went and re-enacted the end of Captain America But In World War I.

Like I said, I enjoyed it, but after I was wondering how much of the praise came from the one-two punch that it was the first major female superhero movie and was also the first and so far only DC movie that wasn’t loving terrible.

That guy’s weird urine mention makes no loving sense to me though.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Samuringa posted:

I think that was why I didn't really hate it at first, it was years ago and before this whole thing blew up. It was just "Oh, a book about videogames, cool. "

I remember rave reviews and poo poo everywhere when it came out. I had so much other poo poo to read since I had just gotten my kindle that by the time I had figured I should check it out I read enough excerpts that I knew it was hot garbage.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I'm looking forward to Aquaman most, then BP, then A3, but probably a bunch of other lovely movies in there too.

Why are you excited for aqua man? That sounds like me being a dick but it isn’t meant that way. All I know about it is that it’s a DC movie and their track record sucks boiling rear end so I’m wondering what makes it different.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Pigbuster posted:

These are awesome, holy moly. I would’ve actually been into Nerf if these were around back then. Getting around the limitations of “girly” designs by going full pirate is pretty clever.

That looks like an exotic gun from destiny. Fuckin’ awesome.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Isn’t there no Snyder cut? The circumstances of him leaving the movie meant that it wasn’t a complete film at the time of his departure, right?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I was disappointed they didn’t go with Blunt for Carol Danvers. She was amazingly badass on Edge of Tomorrow.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

I might get the Blu Ray instead of digital for once, look at those extras. :drat:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Endless Mike posted:

What.

Go watch Die. Repeat. Die./Edge of Tomorrow right now.

Seriously, it’s easily one of the best action movies of the 2010s.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Wheat Loaf posted:

I saw the trailer for that new assassin movie coming out with Taraji P. Henson, which looks like it could be a good Black Widow movie.

I think it's good to have these action movies with comparatively smaller budgets (like Atomic Blonde and Baby Driver and the one I mentioned) proving they can be successful. If you sink $100 million into everything, you run much bigger risks.

Wheelman had a budget of 5 million bucks, was filmed in 19 days, and was fantastic. I like the way that these projects are becoming more and more common.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

RevKrule posted:

^^^ Also Edge of Tomorrow.

Movies Anywhere almost always has all the blu ray extras. Looking through my collection, I've got all the extra pieces they did in the early series and blooper reels and production design poo poo. I think the only thing I miss is commentaries but even then maybe I'm wrong. These may not get ported to other retailers (vudu/itunes/google) but if you have a chromecast, you can easily cast the extras to a tv w/MA.

I usually buy my movies on Amazon, and I don’t think that usually does the bonus features. Good to know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Electromax posted:

iirc they set aside budget already to re-record all Venom lines when test audiences inevitably can't understand Hardy the first time

I know test audiences are usually regarded as absolute dipshits who ruin all of what they touch, but remember that preview of DKR with the original bane voice? It was a mix of incomprehensible and inaudible. I have no idea how anyone thought the original version was usable.

• Locked thread