Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
That book was super boring and McKelvie needs to stick to character design and cover art, his sequential art is way too static for superhero comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Retardog posted:

Off topic, but does anyone remember the goon's name that got the movie accurate Batman Begins (Dark Knight?) costume made? He had it in an armoire with batarangs and everything.

That dude is still out there buying useless jerryrigged poo poo on ebay, posting it in The Action Figure Thread

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Bryan Singer should be in prison.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
You're all wrong, War Machine has just been re-cast again.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
What difference does it make? Santa Claus and slavery are inseparable, regardless of nationality.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Soonmot posted:

I don't know how much I plays into the movie, but the Dr Strange tie in comic had Danial Drumm and Tina Minoru as masters of the mystic arts.

Tina being Nico's mother? I wasn't aware that her (or any of the Runaways', really) parents had been named.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
I guess I don't remember Runaways very well. You guys are talking about the O.G. BKV stuff right?

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

IUG posted:

So I saw this in a Twitter advertisement last night, the first time I've ever clicked on to get more info from an ad there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SZ3rMMYBLY

My first reaction is, the hair is all wrong. But as a real opinion, I'm just hoping that there's a first episode twist that shows that the girl was really one of his personalities. Otherwise I don't think they're going to be doing this character or his powers correctly. Which will annoy me because he's one of my favorite X-Men.

This looks so boring and lovely. Couldn't even figure out who was supposed to be David Haller until like 3/4 of the way through the trailer (unless this is deliberate and they're ALL David Haller in which case 5 stars???)

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
How does Suicide Squad compare to X-Men Origins: Wolverine?

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Lurdiak posted:

The Kevin Smith cinematic universe.

*Ahem* You mean... The View Askewniverse???

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Lurdiak posted:

I'm pretty sure it's a homophobic slur?

:milk:

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

teagone posted:

I cut a modern trailer together for the Spawn movie. It's a film forever ingrained in my childhood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-uWeDRUfpU

Wow, I actually want to watch the Spawn movie again, so good job. Although I remember the HBO animated miniseries being way better.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
BSS Movie Thread: The goggles, they do something.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

howe_sam posted:

Nope, no sign of Ego either.

Thought that was Mantis at :31

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

SonicRulez posted:

That's not the same. GotG was coming and everyone went "Why?" Gambit was coming and then not coming and then coming again and then not. It's confusing as to why they keep trying despite the only buzz around it being the trouble it's had being released.

Gambit come when he ready, cherie.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Also, while we're on a fan-casting tangent: Glenn Howerton (Dennis from "It's Always Sunny...") for the Joker. Adam Devine (demamp from "Workaholics") for Hal Jordan. Or maybe Guy Gardner. The dude is a living Kevin Maguire drawing. Hell, he could play anyone (male) from JLI. He'd be a great Max Lord. drat, now I want a JLI series.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Jamesman posted:

If you're gonna cast someone from Always Sunny as The Joker, you gotta go with Nate Mooney/Ryan McPoyle.

I think he'd be a better Riddler.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
I just remembered that they made a Jonah Hex movie.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

This article explains why Sony will never do a good job with the Spider-Man movies, citing some tech bro executive's clueless e-mail that was revealed during the big studio hack:

http://www.avclub.com/article/spider-man-should-be-snapchatting-edm-fan-accordin-218519

Mods please change my name to "Spidey thought"

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
WB should cast Keaton as Hawkman

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

bunnyofdoom posted:

Ok, hypothetical here, but say DC/WB decides to pull their heads out of their asses. They decided to make fun of themselves and BvS especially with say, a Blue Beetle/Booster Gold movie. Who do you cast as Ted, who as Mike?

Tim Heidecker as Gold and Adam Scott as Blue. On a JLI sitcom.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Aphrodite posted:

His trophy cabinet has some items with dates on them.

This is the type of poo poo that doesn't matter at all. Some art department PA was told to get trophies so they went and got trophies. There's no way the PD or Set Decorator or whoever was like, "yo make sure all the trophies match this year" or whatever.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Just go one step further and cast Rihanna, it even rhymes.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Is Larry Fishburne playing Bill Foster?

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
The rhinos were really cool. I want to see more animal friends in the sequel. Jabari obviously should have some gorilla friends, but what about, like, a war giraffe? Crocodiles would be cool, too.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Koalas March posted:

Honestly with Lupita and Angela already in Black Panther canon, who should they theoretically tap to play Storm?

Aja Naomi King? Nicole Beharie? Gabrielle Union?

What about the gal from Atlanta?

E: oh she's already playing Domino in the Deadpool sequel

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Yeah I'm sure the movie would've been better if Wakandan society was perfect :rolleyes:
Also, if their society has been functioning well for thousands of years, why change certain traditions?

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Rhyno posted:

I'm not a fan of her comedy and have not seen her in anything that could be called a serious role so ehhhhhhhh.

Can we at least get Melissa McCarthy as a bad guy somewhere?

White Queen

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
That, and it's a great film. Far better than any of the other phase 1 MCU origin films.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Rhyno posted:

This is a CD thing which has leaked over. Hulk is, was and always will be poo poo. The only thing it has going for it is Jennifer Connolly.

It's not a "CD thing", it's my opinion that I've held since the movie came out. I would watch Lee's HULK any day over the likes of Captain America or Thor. The only one that comes close is Iron Man. Why haven't they given Favreau another Marvel flick to direct? I could see him totally nailing a Fraction-inspired Hawkeye that also merges the MCU family aspect.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
I think it's hard to make a good Hulk movie because any story that takes place on Earth paints the Hulk as a monster. It's the type of story that kinda needs to be taken seriously and portrayed as a dark, psychological drama, bordering on straight-up horror. So, unless you have a master like Kubrick or Scorcese at the helm, you're never going to have the type of emotionally-nuanced movie that allows an audience to connect with a protaganist who also embodies the central conflict of the story. This is ultimately why I think Ang Lee came closest. But really, the tone they have set for the MCU films pretty much demands that any (successful, competent) Hulk film needs to be full-on fantasy, Ragnarok-style.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Lurdiak posted:

Unlike the amazingly original plot of every Iron Man film.

The plots don't need to be so original when the protaganist is so compelling.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Lurdiak posted:

I'm making the opposite point: cast someone interesting* as Hulk and the movie doesn't need to be original, just use a winning formula.

*anyone but Bana

Like who?

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Also there was no Chinese star cameo, was there? Like that scientist in some of the Iron Man and Avengers movie.

Edit: who could Jackie Chan play in the MCU?

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
I think the sense a lot of critics/fans have is that superhero movies are a trend in the same way that gothic supernatural movies were a trend in the late 90s-2000s. Sure, they still make an Underworld or a Resident Evil or whatever each year, and it makes money, but there aren't 10 other sexy vampire techno movies all breaking the box office the same year. In other words, they think the market is shrinking, when the numbers basically say the exact opposite. Comic book adaptations are obviously here to stay, like adapting any form of story. I think the question, at this point, is whether "superheroes" are a stylistic trend, or big and unique enough to really be their own genre, like westerns or noir.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

I'll buy that

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

SlimGoodbody posted:

I was once assistant to a producer and got the chance to do a pitch for the biopic of a turn of the century industrialist candy mogul. I wrote a well researched story pitch that built a layered narrative about the dude and his life and family, as well as a historical bible of the topic over a sleepless weekend (unpaid), only to be told "Oh, we actually want to do something completely different now." I was then given charge to write a "scriptment" for a lighthearted kids adventure movie based around the candy property and its adjacent history. Scriptments are like 10 page treatments of a movie that broadly outline characters, stakes, arc, set pieces, etc. It's basically like describing a movie you just saw to a friend over beers.

The producer I was working for said he wanted something "like The Goonies," so (over another sleepless, unpaid weekend) I wrote something very much in the vein of The Goonies; a squad of archetypal, uniquely talented kid characters coming together in defiance of adults to solve a bunch of puzzles of varying complexity and lethality in order to defeat a greedy scumbag villain and discover a MacGuffin that would change their fortunes and the fortunes of their families. I was honestly pretty proud of what I wrote at the time (it was yeeears ago at this point). I turned it over and find out the producer didn't like it at all. Like literally disliked every point I just mentioned above, and when his direct assistant (who loved it) said "but it's exactly what you wanted, it's very similar to The Goonies," the producer admitted he had never seen The Goonies.

He gave the materials to another producer friend who did a nearly complete teardown of the story I wrote and did an incoherent rewrite where the protagonist kid spends most of the time hanging out with the horrifically scarred ghost of a kid who died in a house fire that was based on a totally unrelated movie idea he had and it was... it was insane trash. It was a lunatic cokehead's idea of what constitutes a movie people would take their children to. It was about that time that I realized I needed to get the gently caress out of that job and L.A. in general for a while.

edit: this wasn't even for a story I really gave much of a poo poo about; it was some stupid licensed property that shouldn't be a movie anyway. I can only imagine how bad it would be for something you really put your heart and soul into.

I dunno, "Charlie & the Chocolate Factory, but he's friends with Casper and Wonka is evil" kinda sounds like it could work

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Bro how else do you represent casper's trailing off lower half in a photorealistic way?

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Rhyno posted:

Winter Soldier, GotG, Thor3, BP.

This is the objectively correct list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Trask