Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Man, I can't believe they got the license for Fallout 4!

quote:

Risks and challenges

Some of the challenges i will have currently is that i'm a lone wanderer currently looking for companions to help complete my quest. Another thing is we will need to get permission to use the name and information to make the book. We will also need to figure out how and where we are gonna print it once its done.

$40 gets you posted:

All previous rewards and a T-shirt

50 of 50 left

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Received my Do: Fate of the Flying Temple last night. It came in a UPS package inside a USPS box. :911:

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 9, 2016

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Congratulations on finishing Nocturne, I guess. I'll admit some curiosity just based on how much a bunch of people with no obligation to do so kept trying to get it made.

Kemper Boyd posted:

Considering Nocturne/Nightfall got done without any money whatsoever

When is Far West going to be released?

I'm sure he learned his lesson the last dozen times and will not put forward even the faintest hint of a release date, just like the last six times he definitely didn't do that.

PS Keep an eye on the comments sections or Google+ or Twitter for more than a faint hint of a release date.

EDIT:

quote:

Nocturne, the first third-party supplement for 13th Age, brings fantasy horror to the next generation of players and GMs.

:lol:

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Evil Mastermind posted:

GMS has pretty much said he's not doing release dates anymore.

Yeah, the last time he said that was roughly a year ago, and he kept to it for quite a while. But he couldn't help himself, and it was definitely coming out just this last MayJune:shrug:.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Jimbozig posted:

On the one hand, I want my copy of BW Codex to show up so bad. On the other hand, I know that's just silly because I already own nearly all of it (I have the monster, magic, and adventure burners). But I still want it in my hands!

I guess I'm just a big fanboy.

Look at this foolio, liking things unironically. Get offa the something awful dot com forum, scrubkins

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Slimnoid posted:

Does Diaz have any other job other than his pretentiously awful webcomic? Because if not I don't see why it takes him for-loving-ever to y'know, do what he's paid for.

I haven't gone dumpster diving into DC lately, but his really serious crowdfunding efforts were unveiled with great fanfare by him quitting his day job. He immediately accrued a huge amount of dollarssuckersdollars and suckers, after which he promptly didn't update for like a few months.

I really liked some of his whimsical little one-offs, from before his brain was eaten by his waifu mouthpiece's transhuman sexah garbage philosophy.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Aug 13, 2016

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Kai Tave posted:

Oh yeah, that's what Desborough's been up to, hasn't it? Let's see...flex-funding Indiegogo campaign, always a sign of quality, barely made its base funding goal of $5,000, okay, aaaaaand the last update was seven months ago saying "we're looking at a May release date" and nothing since then, cool.

Like any good crowdsourcer, he seems to update much more regularly on his blog. Most of which is still "sorry, nothing to report, but I'm almost back in the saddle, I swear. PS Buy this other stuff I actually managed to finish please."

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

The secret mystical truth of the universe that we are all smart enough to know is that scones are great.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Desiden posted:

According to the devs, he wrote those sections several years ago. Based on the posts I've seen from them elsewhere, I don't see any reason to doubt them on that.

Topher apparently claims to have some sort of complex chronic illness that hasn't been properly diagnosed after a couple years of testing, and which keeps him from finishing the kickstarter. Based on the extended whiny passive aggressive fart that has been all his posts I've seen elsewhere, I don't see any reason to give him the benefit of the doubt on that.

"Some rear end in a top hat won't communicate about his flat-lined Kickstarter" is a few steps short of "he's probably built an elaborate lie about a life-destroying illness."

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

FRINGE posted:

From one of the Cook interviews - I like the sound/idea of this:

This is an interesting concept that I fully expect to be executed as "Snowy: +1 to ice spells for three rounds".

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

malkav11 posted:

This is true if you're trying to sell people something. From what I understand, Luke Crane doesn't make much profit (certainly not a living) off his games. He just loves making them and wants to share them with people that are similarly invested. Given that, I can totally understand not wanting to bother with people that aren't. Perhaps it might be more gently put, but...I don't know. I've never spoken to the man and text is a difficult medium to parse intent from.

He's been pretty clearly kind of a dick for years. And while he can do whatever he likes with the delivery of his products per ~it's a free country, maaaan~, everyone else is equally free to raise an eyebrow at his stellar "curmudgeonly artiste" bullshit.

I'd like to take the opportunity to remind anyone interested that what appears to qualify as "whining and worrying" is a handful of backer comments amounting to "Hey, shipping notifications and receipt of product seems to be all over the place, what happen?" plus one solitary backseat driver-style comment that he never singled out. So he responded to everyone's """complaints""" by wizard-yelling at them all to be quiet. Then he trotted over to Twitter where he could more plainly :smuggo: "Get a load of these fuckers, asking politely for clarification on when they'll get products they gave me money for" free of his self-imposed wizard act.

It's not like he's just a little surly and uncommunicative; he'll actively mock customers, either because he hates really basic, polite questions, or because once one slightly overbearing customer rears their head he shotguns everyone with his horseshit.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Sep 16, 2016

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Neall is going to lengths to try to be respectful of the cultural beliefs the game plays with. He's a pretty good guy.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Kai Tave posted:

Care to elaborate?

I assume it's because it's still trait + trait pools of d10s, but from the system doc they previewed last year it's a better iteration on the creaky old thing than any of the others. TNs change, but only by supernatural type, so all your rolls are like TN 8 as a mortal, or 7 as a pulp action hero, etc. I'm pretty whatever about that. What they teased for specialties was intriguing, because they're special tricks you do at certain success thresholds instead of just +numbers.

As far as WoD derivatives go, I like what I see, but especially with the core game being split into two books I'm not going to be diving in. Demon the Descent was probably my last serious foray into White Wolfian games.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Kai Tave posted:

To be honest probably the bigger black mark on Onyx Path these days is they greenlit Beast: the Primordial.

Frankly, I don't think most people get why it was so horrible and is still not good, and delayed book deliveries will always be a higher crime in this hobby.

quote:

Exalted's biggest issue at the moment is that it's been literal years now and hardcopies have still failed to manifest. Last I heard the charm cards backers could get have been sent to them but A). there's still no sign of the physical books to use them with

Updates lately are about getting the different parts made for the super deluxe coup. :shrug:

quote:

and B). the cards themselves are less than useful, with some of them just referring you to the page number in the book to get the complete story which completely defeats the point of a shorthand play aid like that.

If three pages of Wyld-Shaping Technique was acceptable, a card telling you "lol there's no way, see p XX" shouldn't be a big deal. Most of them probably still fit.

quote:

Re: Storypath, I'm not trying to suggest that Doodmons is wrong or anything, I legit don't know much about the latest version of the system. His is the first strong opinion I've heard on the subject and for it to be a huge pile of poo poo sounds like something I'd be interested in seeing expounded upon.

I think the worst case is that it'll just be another WoDdy system, which, eh.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

potatocubed posted:

It doesn't help that I have no idea what the other tiers are getting me. A physical book and the option to buy a physical book at cost? What?

Probably so you can get your PoD copy to play with as soon as that's available, while you wait a few months for the deluxe traditionally printed book to arrive.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I am totally down for this, but I thought she'd quit the industry. I guess, much like people who live in Topeka, none of us can escape.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Maybe another ten years would help iron out that grammar, and another ten could make the pitch at all appealing.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Harlem Unbound, the Cthulhu mythos in the Harlem Renaissance, seems cool. Mentioning a video game stretch goal immediately makes me wary, though, even if it's kind of jokey. Still, there are good, reliable people involved, so backed for now.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Evil Mastermind posted:

So GMS sent out a Far West update the other day, saying that we're going to get whatever's done (if not the whole thing) by the end of the year. He also said that all that's left are the (and I quote) "last chapter & appendices".

I love that even "whatever's done, I'll give it to you by X date" is still unbelievable enough that I wouldn't bet on it.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

He lives in CST, not that it matters since he's almost definitely encountered the "unforseen delay" of a New Year's party or some other totally unplanned obstacle.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Maybe he meant the end of the Jewish year. So he's got until September!

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Jedit posted:

Giochi become the latest company to attempt a mega-boardgame. 90 EUR gets you the base game with cardboard bits. 200 EUR gets you the deluxe version with metal coins and almost 600 minis. And for a mere 370 EUR you can expand it up to 9 players with 275 metal coins and a minis count pushing 800. It's the first kickstarter I've seen where you can pay in installments.

The amount of playtesting they're claiming is kind of absurd. Apparently the designer had the idea for the game when he was 16 and there's been a playable prototype in testing since 2000.

:laffo: That's always a great sign.

Why join? posted:

Because you will make the realization of the English edition of this beautiful game possible, one that otherwise would be impossible to produce. Indeed, all previous publishers have given up publishing the game, due to its high costs and the manufacturing difficulties. Together, we can do it! 

:laffo::laffo::laffo:

quote:

Because it will send a very strong and positive signal to the gaming market, thereby making possible the publication of other games, which to this point were thought to be impossible to publish. 

Because, even if the campaign is successful, due to the cost and size of the game it will not distribute and will be very difficult to find the game in stores. Only here will you be guaranteed to get it.

These are literally right next to each other.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Kwyndig posted:

What even is that game? A more complicated armies game but similar to Risk? A broader boardgame like the original Civ? Some kind of insane boardgame version of Crusader Kings? I can't make heads or tails of it.

It's Europa Universalis: the Board Game, except he claims to have been working on it since 1989. What a coincidence with the name thing!

I love that the board game itself is kind of an off-hand thing in the incredibly long author's bio that's mostly about his enthusiasm for canoeing.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I was trying not to be too judgy when it comes to gameplay (what with no rules available), but after watching the videos and looking through the components list there is no way this is not deadly tedious to play. How could you possibly play this game in 2 hours, even with just two players? I shudder at the thought of a 9-player game.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

What's funnier than overly elaborate gaming paraphernalia? Far West!

Kickstarter, almost a full month of silence after the for-reals totally the end previous deadline posted:

I have purposefully not been checking the comments page -- assuming (apparently incorrectly) that if somebody had a serious problem they needed addressed, they'd contact me via the email that I've provided regularly for that purpose.

Just stepping in to leave a brief note:

I've been contacted by the Kansas AG's Consumer Protection office, and I've been responding to them. This, naturally, takes time that I would prefer to be using to finish this and deliver, but it is what it is.

Regardless -- delivery will be occurring soon.

Twitter posted:

TFW You're one guy working to finish a project, and have to take time to fill out paperwork to respond to a complaint filed b/c its late.

a little later in that Twitter thread posted:

That's a fair criticism. I said I was going to do it, and I didn't.

That last is all the response he's got to "You take umbrage at being called a liar and people pursuing what meager legal action is available to them, but you swore you'd release whatever you have end of 2016." Stunning.

Will Far West be released? Find out in the exciting next episode: Another Blown Deadline.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Desiden posted:

It makes sense if he's basically trapped himself in a spiral of "it has to be X better to prove it was worth being Y months/years late" where upping X naturally leads to more Y, which requires more X, and on to infinity we go.

Some of the discussion in the exalted thread has periodically speculated whether they're going down the same rabbit hole.

A couple of years ago (jfc) he was posting about nearly being done, putting up a preorder page on RPGNow. Up to right before he missed that particular launch date, he was talking about simultaneously laying out and writing the same chapter, creating art assets as he went, and there was still an entire chapter that was not even laid out, possibly not even finished writing.

Also, all the way back at the beginning, his original estimated delivery was some handful of months after the Kickstarter would finish. Some chapters weren't even finished being drafted at that point, and obviously a lot of the art wasn't either. He gave himself barely enough time to maybe meet his original deadline if everything went absolutely perfect.

He has always been (at best) delusional about Far West. All the more baffling considering he'd been writing and laying out books for some time before.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Rand Brittain posted:

Like I've said before, I spent most of the Chuubo production process being sure we'd be done in a month or so, and being sure of this for over a year.

GMS is only really different in that he doesn't seem to be aware of the joke and keeps making confident pronouncements which then turn out to be wrong.

(Also he threatens to sue random fields in Iceland, which I guess is a fairly major difference.)

I think the principle difference is that he's an rear end in a top hat about it. Even after all these years and deadlines, he'd probably still have a much more robust number of faithful in his comment sections if he didn't harass patches of Iceland and act like "Where's the product I paid for? You're really late." was "an axe to grind." Sure, his was one of the first big RPG Kickstarters, but there are others nearly as hosed up for whatever reason that draw a lot less fire.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Desiden posted:

Also, what's the iceland thing? I must have missed that.

I can't remember if Wields Rulebook (I think?) just happened to mention Far West first, or if it was one of those times where Skarka barged into a social justice conversation to be a big whiny straight white male at everyone and WR snarked about Far West. In any case, WR said something mean about Far West in some G+ thread. This constitutes a harassment campaign, so Skarka started implying legal repercussions and knowledge of WR's address, but he was just being a terrible internet detective and mouthing off. One of the places he "uncovered" was some farm or something in the middle of nowhere.

At some point GMS sent some sort of legal bluster to some address, and this guy who wasn't WR who got it came to the G+ thread to tell everyone they were weird nerds and to please stop sending him bullshit.

This is all on top of the fact that legally speaking there was absolutely no way anything would possibly happen in an international suit of US Citizen vs Snarky Internet Comments.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jan 26, 2017

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

dwarf74 posted:

Oh wow, it's just so weird how all of these things get staggered so steadily, isn't it? Any bets on what's next after his cold goes away?

Is anyone giving him grief about sending out the plaintext again? (There is no plaintext, so it will not be sent out.)

It looks like everyone's dropped it since he acknowledged that he had said he would but then didn't do it, and didn't announce why until (about a month later) someone bugged him on Twitter and all he had to say was basically :shrug:

Meanwhile, it looks like the KS comments are mostly split between "gently caress you, Skarka" and "I wouldn't use that kind of language, but I am disappointed."

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I don't think the subject is vital enough to sustain its own thread. If hearing about Far West every couple of weeks is that grating, just put a moratorium on it until it comes out, i.e., forever and in perpetuity ban all mentions of Skarka's Shame.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Evil Mastermind posted:

The Watch: a PbtA game about soldiers fighting a desperate war to save their homeland

Been looking forward to this! They've been posting some interesting snippets/thoughts on G+ for months.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

El Estrago Bonito posted:

So I think you could make an argument along the following lines that there are four distinct waves of Heartbreakers:

I think you're painting with such a broad brush that it renders the term "heartbreaker" meaningless. Certainly, D&D has had such an outsized impact on the hobby that there are traces of it in nearly every game. But if that makes everything from GURPS to WoD a heartbreaker, but not T&T, I'm not sure this makes any sense. Not to mention that "heartbreaker" is also often taken to specifically refer to some untenable financial effort to start what amounts to a self-important cover band.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

EverettLO posted:

So can somebody recap what's gone wrong with the Robotech KS? I know there was a second wave that appears to have become vaporware, but that's about all I know.

· There were suggestions that Simbieda wouldn't be directly in charge, because by now everyone knows that's a red flag. This turned out to not be the case.

· Well after funding, it turned out that the detail and complexity of the minis had to be scaled back. The detail and complexity that was part of what sold many people on the Kickstarter.

· The whole thing has been the usual sort of Kickstarter clusterfuck, but worse because you get Simbieda's Essay Korner instead of normal human updates. Like…

· A literal 10k word "update" that mostly talked up Palladium's past, including dwelling on licenses he no longer has. It had to be split into two update posts because it was, I cannot stress this enough, 10k word long. This is the one where he revealed that when the first set of minis were ready to start shipping from China, no one had actually set up fulfillment ahead of time. Also, everything was all the fault of mini-designing partner Ninja Division; poor little Kevin is just trying to manage their blunders.

· The time he decided the scale for the game was wrong, after the first set was done. He put it to a "vote" where he would count Kickstarter comments, and anyone who didn't show up counted as "yes, please make this game incompatible with itself."

I'm sure there's more, but I only look in on it when something egregious enough happens that it gets posted about on forums.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Feb 20, 2017

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Woops, that's correct.

I don't remember what, if any, input he solicited for the scale thing.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

One game of Munchkin I played was 12 hours long in our hotel at GenCon, from around 10pm to 10am. We kept de-leveling ourselves and each other, over and over. As people began shuffling into the cafe area for the hotel's complimentary breakfast, I was about to hit level 10 but then de-leveled myself and everyone else, and I was the only one willing to keep going after that. Everyone else wanted to go to a restaurant before the convention hall opened back up. So I won by default.

That's the best game of Munchkin I've ever played, because it makes for a funny story, and that's only because it's an incredibly lovely game where you can use your boring ~jokes~ cards to screw each other over continuously for literally half a day.

$250,000

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Ettin posted:

I'm digging that design work on the covers. How do the insides look?

Yeah, after the barf bag full of art they previewed during the Kickstarter, I'm curious what the end product looks like.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I'm not familiar with Alternity at all, but what in the world is the draw of a "new edition" that doesn't/can't use either the rules or the setting of the previous work? Like, I can totally see the draw of a spiritual successor type thing, but going so far as to take the old brand name while everything else is only sorta similar seems like it would only invite problems.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Oh my god, it uses a tick system for combat just like Exalted 2e/Scion 1e. This poo poo is hosed.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I think it's possible to have an interesting and distinct Noble character type in D&D. Just probably not in a version of D&D where a level 20 non-caster OMFG capstone feature is +4 to an Ability score.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

LeSquide posted:

I am irrationally annoyed by those rewards tiers; print-and-.pdf being a more expensive tier than just print rubs me the wrong way.

While I don't really begrudge them the money, it does seem weird considering the PDF will presumably be Creative Commons.