Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Skyl3lazer posted:

^^ "Nic Fit" is just a catchall for the GBx builds - they're anywhere from 3-5 colors, have a bit of a ramp strategy, and win via creatures. It was just a joke name from the Source forums where someone said they had a deck that they thought would be "a nic fit for the current meta". The misspelling stuck.

OK, I'll be that guy: Nic Fit is unique from other GBx builds as it specifically plays (and exploits) the interaction between Veteran Explorer and Cabal Therapy, as well as Pernicious Deed as the board-wipe of choice, and often Sensei's Divining Top to take advantage of all the shuffle effects. Its best matchups are decks that don't play very many basics, which allows VE to be one-sided and can ramp you at crazy speeds while your opponent gains nothing.

T1: Bayou, GSZ into Dryad Arbor.
T2: Phyrexian Tower, cast Veteran Explorer, sac VE for BB and two more basics, hard-cast a 4-drop or GSZ for a three-drop
T3: You have 6 lands in play vs. your opponent's three

What you do with all that ramp depends on what your third colour is:

Blue: Jace, the Mind Sculptor, Consecrated Sphinx (plus you get Brainstorm)
White: Siege Rhino, Sun Titan, the best sideboard options
Red: Scapeshift into Valakut :getin:

PhyrexianLibrarian fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jun 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Skyl3lazer posted:

Do people bring in Sphere of Resistance against Miracles?

Why would they? Sphere effects usually aren't great against Miracles, as it's aiming for the long game and will have mana to spare. For it to matter you'd have to be trying to end the game early, in which case Sphere is just as bad for you.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Rogue0071 posted:

Not an Aggro Loam player, but Garruk comes in against Miracles and I would assume stuff like Merfolk and D&T. Engineered Plague on monk will kill Mentor tokens. Pulse I could see vs Miracles (it's an out to Moat, is a CMC3 so hard to CB, and can kill Jace or a bunch of monk tokens or whatever).

Garruk comes in against any grindy matchups, like D&T or Miracles, but especially Shardless where it can't be Decayed and can block Goyfs for days. If you think you need a stream of expendable blockers while you PFire something to death, Garruk's your guy.

Pulse is a good general-purpose answer to planeswalkers, so you'll see it come in against most Jace decks. Loam already runs Toxic Deluge so it's actually not for Monks/Elementals, although that's certainly a side benefit.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Skyl3lazer posted:

Tales of Adventure is hosting Eternal Extravaganza V in Baltimore this year on October 15-16 or thereabouts so huzzah for a big legacy event that isn't in Ohio.

I'll be there, hope you nerds show up and face me.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Elyv posted:

what are you playing and why isn't it doomsday

That's a funny way to spell black-red reanimator.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

TheKingofSprings posted:

I've been out of the legacy loop for a while, what's this deck do differently to justify the red and is it really better than UB Reanimator?

This is roughly what I've been running online:

4 Chancellor of the Annex
1 Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
3 Griselbrand
1 Iona, Shield of Emeria
1 Sire of Insanity
1 Tidespout Tyrant
3 Animate Dead
4 Dark Ritual
4 Entomb
4 Exhume
4 Faithless Looting
4 Lotus Petal
4 Reanimate
4 Thoughtseize
4 Unmask
3 Badlands
1 Bayou
4 Bloodstained Mire
3 Polluted Delta
3 Swamp

3 Abrupt Decay
1 Archetype of Endurance
1 Blazing Archon
2 Collective Brutality
2 Massacre
3 Reverent Silence
3 Stronghold Gambit

Pros:
- Lots of hands are capable of reanimating a T1 fatty with built-in protection in the form of Chancellor of the Annex
- Can actually cast Griselbrand/Sire of Insanity
- Badlands are way, way cheaper than Underground Seas
- Easy to splash other colors; green for Reverent Silence, white for Wear//Tear or Children of Korlis for the Tin Fins splash, blue for Show & Tell, or more red for Sneak Attack

Cons:
- No blue means it's much weaker to hate post-board; you can't counter or bounce your opponent's T1 Grafdigger's Cage, Leyline, DRS, Surgical, etc., and have to draw naturally into your hate-hate

It's a question of going under with a T1 Griselbrand vs. going over with T4 Griselbrand and Force backup. The best explanation I've seen is that the Legacy metagame has warped so much around Miracles, it's created an opening such that glass-cannon-style combo decks are stronger than they've been in the past. Leyline of the Void is the best card against it, and Eldrazi and Aggro Loam are basically the only decks that run it.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

C-Euro posted:

Is it mostly there as a budget choice, or is Duress strong enough for Legacy play? I imagine that here it's enough that it can hit a lot of GY hate turn 1 on the play.

CB is pretty great even as a T2 play. In one spell, you can remove a counterspell, kill a Deathrite Shaman, and uncounterably throw a Griselbrand into your graveyard. It's an ideal tool for reanimator strategies.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

C-Euro posted:

I don't have a lot of Legacy experience under my belt, but I'm guessing you bring this in for matchups where your opponent isn't going to have creatures in hand so you win by default, right?

It's mostly for other fast combo decks, especially Storm, but also surprisingly decks like Omnitell or 12-post. Their cheapest creature is often Kozilek or Ulamog, so your own Griselbrand still gets cheated into play. You could even Gambit in your Sire of Insanity against their Griselbrand and that might be enough.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

Is anyone going to GP Louisville (or plays legacy) and wants to jam some matches on XMage? It would probably be a little later this month and im also not interested in buying into legacy on mtgo

I'm hopefully going, although I'd rather avoid going solo, I'll install XMage when I'm home tonight.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

double posting but i haven't been able to come up with an answer to this:

I'm playing steve's UW landstill list that's in this thread (-decree of justice +enlightened tutor and some random sideboard changes including a Humility). What do you guys think of Spell Snare vs Pierce in the current meta?

Spell Snare
Kills chalice for 1 dead
gets gofys/bobs/SFMs
Gets hymn to tourach
gets infernal tutor
completely dead against resurgent sneak and show

Spell Pierce
Still gets turn 1 chalice for one and maybe other chalices later
much better against sneak and show
gets opposing planeswalkers
overall more versatile
does not get various creatures that are bad for me

Against sneak and show I have two Containment Priest and one Humility in the board that are actively good, plus i get to leave in random cards that incidentally get me out of jams (Council's Judgement, swords their griselbrand). do you think the permanent-based hate is enough, since sneak and show has basically no way to deal with them?

I'm pro-Pierce in general, about the only thing Snare comes out ahead on are 2-drop creatures. Between StP, Wraths, Judgment, and Humility, are you really worried about creatures at all? What have you been losing to lately?

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
By the time they cast Infernal Tutor they're in the middle of going off, so it's way too late unless you're sitting on a FoW. I'd almost rather main-deck Flusterstorms if that's the concern, it hits everything you care about that Pierce hits for the same cost, and is strictly better in some cases.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

uninverted posted:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/553522#paper

Abzan company with Saffi Eriksdottir + Renegade Rallier got 2nd at the modern classic this weekend. It looks like they're using it to get infinite scries with viscera seer. No tron in the top 16 is surprising.

EDIT: Actually it gets infinite bolsters too if you have Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit out.

I want to be sure I get how this works:
- Have Renegade Rallier, Saffi, and Viscera Seer
- Sac Saffi targeting Rallier
- Sac Rallier to Seer
- Scry & Saffi triggers go on stack
- Resolve Saffi trigger, bring back Rallier
- Rallier trigger goes on stack targeting Saffi
- Bring back Saffi, now you're back where you started
- Scry trigger resolves

Woe be to judges who have to deal with people picking up this deck for the first time.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

that esper control deck is fuckin hot. I mean it's just a pile of removal and counterspells but that's exactly what I want to be doing

I have a theory that people who play Modern gravitate to whatever their first formative Standard deck was. That's my only explanation for why I want to play that deck, INN/RTR was just after when I got back into the game, and Sphinx's Revelation/Nephalia Drownyard control was my weapon of choice.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Gnumonic posted:

I'm not gonna piss and moan about it, but Doomsday was the only thing keeping me playing MTG, and after having every. single. modern deck I thought was kind of neat end up banned, I think WoTC and I just have different ideas of fun. Time to part ways.

Anyone have any tips for selling off a collection? Tcgplayer/Ebay still the way to go?

Well for starters, Doomsday seems like exactly the kind of deck that doesn't rely on a single card to operate, so I'm sure you'll be fine if you stick with it.

If you're committed, though, at least take it to the Buy/Sell thread first. TCGPlayer/eBay are good if you're willing to put the time into selling singles, if you just want it gone try to find a big SCG/GP event in your area.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Anyone in this thread going to Vegas in June? I'm trying to figure out what to play and test beforehand. My three options right now:

ANT
Aluren with Mesmeric Fiend for all the fast combo I expect to pop up with Miracle's demise
This

that last one is what i am leaning towards because it is sweet but i suspect my testing will reveal it to be Very Bad

I'll be there running Grixis Delver, Aggro Loam, or Grixis Reanimator depending on what I get the most reps in with beforehand. Definitely up for testing via XMage or Cockatrice or something.

Joe Lossett of all people pointed out on Twitter that Blood Moon just got a LOT better, which may cause Sneak Attack decks to come back?

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

What's the red for in Grixis Reanimator?

It's kind of a midway point between the other re-animator styles. The red is mostly for Faithless Looting and Dack Fayden, so you can more aggressively bin cards like BR while still having counters and selection like UB. It also allows SB options like Pyroclasm/Blast. Here's the list:

https://deckbox.org/sets/1610145

I'm not sure it's better than either of the two-color variants, but I think it's a lot more fun.

Edit: In fact, now that Miracles is out, BR Reanimator might lose a lot of its advantage, as it was exploiting a gap in the metagame where people were overcorrecting their sideboards.

PhyrexianLibrarian fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 25, 2017

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

L0cke17 posted:

2 Arid Mesa
4 Flooded Strand
5 Island
1 Mountain
2 Plains
4 Scalding Tarn
3 Tundra
2 Volcanic Island
1 Blood Moon
4 Brainstorm
2 Counterspell
2 Energy Field
2 Enlightened Tutor
4 Force of Will
2 Helm of Obedience
1 Humility
2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
1 Keranos, God of Storms
1 Moat
4 Ponder
2 Preordain
3 Rest in Peace
2 Supreme Verdict
4 Swords to Plowshares
Sideboard:

2 Containment Priest
1 Council's Judgment
1 Disenchant
1 Engineered Explosives
1 Ethersworn Canonist
1 Flusterstorm
1 From the Ashes
1 Izzet Staticaster
1 Kozilek's Return
3 Pyroblast
1 Pyroclasm
1 Spell Pierce

This is what I've been testing. It so far has done quite well in testing. It crushed death and taxes, jund, elves, bug, and eldrazi. I've only dropped games to jund, enchantress, and sneak and show. I have only played vs sneak and show twice, and won one and lost the other.

Obvious question here, but how required is the Moat? Obviously Magus of the Moat/Peacekeeper are a lot worse, but could Ghostly Prison/Propaganda/Sphere of Safety work instead? Particularly Sphere since it can't be decayed.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
Porphyry Nodes seems like a hell of a shift; it's slow, takes a turn to work, and can be Decayed. If EE is insane and you're already running fewer 4-drops, could the deck support Academy Ruins?

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
Here's the local Legacy metagame breakdown from my LGS (I was one of the Loam players; went 0-2 in the mirror, 2-0 against Shardless, and 1-1-1 against Goblins with a 45 minute Game 1. I kept looping PFire to kill off 2-3 goblins each turn, and he kept drawing gas and using Matrons & Ringleaders to rebuild his board. I have a new least-favourite matchup.):

23 players, 20 archetypes
4c loam x 3
Eldrazi
Maverick
Loam pox
Of Ports and Men
White Spaghetti
BUG x 2
RUG lands
Sneak & show
Shardless
Worldgorger
Miracles
Goblins
Grixis delver
ANT
Grixis reanimator
Family stompy
Soldier stompy
4 color fit
Blackjack

Has anyone heard of decks like "Family Stompy" or "White Spaghetti" or "Blackjack"? I haven't played them myself yet so I have no idea what they are.

Edit: In retrospect, "Of Ports and Men" is probably Death & Taxes, and someone's trying to be clever.

PhyrexianLibrarian fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 4, 2017

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
Thought from playing L0cke's RIP/Helm deck on the weekend:

- It has less card selection than a normal combo deck, and a lot of one-ofs that may not be the one-of you're looking for. 3rd Enlightened Tutor over the Standstill may be better, Standstill requires you to already have a lock or be ahead in some way, and if you are you don't need the extra 3 cards as badly.
- I lost a LOT of games to not having Humility/Moat in the main.
- Rather than jamming the combo, most of my games were won by establishing some kind of lock (RIP/Field, Humility/Moat) and then playing draw-go until I drew the matching wincon (Helm/Keranos).
- Could the deck handle a Karakas? Extra protection for Keranos and another soft-lock with Clique, and opens up running a Venser for the same reason.
- Is Cast Out an option over Detention Sphere? Flash + Cycling are both super relevant, and maybe worth making the card a bit more expensive (and non-blue).

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

L0cke17 posted:

#freetop

Without having to devote all that sideboard space to beating miracles, I can now play multiple cheap sweepers like staticaster, kozileks return, pyroclasms etc and just gently caress d&t and elves. I kinda like it.

Speaking of which, have you read this? http://www.hipstersofthecoast.com/2017/05/build-around-mee/

Not sure if he's actually tested his list, but in my own testing I think Moat makes sense in the main again. I haven't had much luck running it as a combo deck like you mentioned. It's objectively slower than other combos, and setting up a soft-lock so you survive to draw into your combo means you have to play as a control deck anyways. Humility is probably still SB-worthy, but I think Moat is unanswerable enough in Game 1 that it's worth the risk.

Edit: vvv I believe his justification is "Baneslayer Angel is sweet"

PhyrexianLibrarian fucked around with this message at 22:08 on May 23, 2017

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Is anyone going to GP Vegas to play in the legacy event? I've been trying to test but I can't figure out what the hell to play. After L0cke's sweet deck didn't really pan out in my testing either, I tried those predict/portent/16 cantrip Artist-Formerly-Known-As-Miracles piles. They're loving awful and I hate them. So, the contenders:

UR delver feat. price of progress and cryptic serpent

UB Standstill

UB Standstill feels like the better deck (mostly because it doesn't have joke cards like cryptic serpent) but based on my last legacy gp experience with no buys, it seems loose to bring a deck that cannot ever, in one million years, beat burn. What's everyone else playing?

I'm Legacy-ing, still deciding between Grixis Delver, Aggro Loam, or something else (Grixis Control, maybe?). Not even sure I'll bother playing Modern, my only deck is Esper Control that feels really slow and bad.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
Heck yes I have returned from the wilderness, will PM you both

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
Updates from the floor: Cactrot and Johnny Five-Jaces are both 3-2, and I have unceremoniously scrubbed down to 1-4. Bad deck played on ugly guitar.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

C-Euro posted:

Cross-post from the main thread, the guy who recently Top 8'd GP Vegas with UB Taking Turns posted a very thorough trip report on Reddit. It's a good read, even though the deck is very annoying to play against.

On the other hand, be ready for every wise-rear end at your local LGS to show up with this at the next Modern event.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

C-Euro posted:

Also someone refresh my memory on the KotR/Retreat to Coralhelm combo- get both in play, repeatedly sac lands to Knight and untap it with Retreat until you have a really big Knight? Are you trying to empty the typed lands and fetches out of your deck in one go, or is that you can pump your Knights for basically free whenever you want to?

Personally, I'd run a fun-of Goblin Charbelcher for maximum rub-ins, but yeah I think Knight beatdowns is Plan A.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

EvilBeard posted:

So now that they fussed with how Blood Moon effects work, is there anything cool we can do with it?

As soon as my FBB Taigas show up, this baby will be complete. So let's not do all the cool Blood Moon things, ok?

Kind of the opposite: under the new rule, if you Dark Depths with a Blood Moon in play it enters with no counters, so blow up the Moon nets you an instant Marit Lage. If anything, this makes your Moon matchup better.

What's interesting is that this ruling also applies to other static effects, so cards like Humility actually turn off as-enters effects on creatures, like Painter's Servant and Clones.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

wiskibubbles posted:

So the guys that are lucky enough to have a legacy scene around them how do you feel 4c loam is going to line up in the current iteration of legacy ? Asking because I finally finished my post miracles legacy deck and it ended up being loam because I'm to poor to afford a tabernacle and got my diamonds before the price spike

4C Loam is the kind of deck that either runs the tables if you're in a meta with lots of Delvers and small creatures, or is a feel-bad worse version of Lands if you aren't. You'll have to get a LOT of practice in because of the number of lines the deck has, and even then, you'll still have some nearly unwinnable matchups.

You can bend it to your local meta, but I wouldn't take it to a GP at this point.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
Oh don't get me wrong, I have the deck and love it despite all its flaws. When it works it feels completely degenerate, and Tabernacle is a relatively recent addition, so the deck is fine without it. Personally I do run a Deathrite as a GSZ target, but that's the whole beauty of the deck; how many different ways you can build it based on what you expect to see.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
Has anyone else noticed that Bob Huang's latest Grixis Delver list has a 16 card sideboard?

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=116987

An identical list from both EW and the last Legacy Open, what the hell?

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
Can someone with SCG Premium snag Tom Ross's decklist out of here? http://www.starcitygames.com/article/36025_The-Boss-VS-Tron-Human-Knightfall-VS-Eldrazi-Tron.html

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
Makes sense, I've been playing around with the Bant Knightfall version and have a lot of games where my best chance at disrupting my opponent is to get lucky off a Collected Company, rather than just jamming the combo as fast as possible. Slowing the deck down slightly in exchange for ensuring you survive long enough to combo off is a good approach, and the Scullers will draw removal away from your combo pieces. It's win-win.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
If anyone is interested in testing for SeaTac on XMage, let me know, I'm likely bringing Aggro Loam and Grixis Delver and deciding between the two.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Lightning Lord posted:

Did Jace and Bloodbraid destroy modern yet?

They aren't legal online yet, but early testing from a lot of pros and Modern people are pretty consistently portraying Jace as the best thing you can do for 4 mana by a pretty wide margin.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
I'll probably going to try 2 in the board of Bant Knightfall, specifically for the mirror.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
It sounds like your co-worker hasn't played since the early 90's, which was the last time "an ability's source has to still be on the battlefield for the ability to resolve" was a relevant rule, if ever. She probably has been in tournaments where these distinctions matter, but that sure doesn't make her right.

5Jaces is 100% on his explanations, and with Case 3, the protection from green wouldn't affect Hardened Scales at all, since that effect doesn't damage, target, or enchant the thing that's getting the counters.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

EvilBeard posted:

Went 3-1 with Lands. Lost to Goblins Round 1 on a poor draw, and then ran the table.

Luckily for me, some whiny baby got upset that they couldn't play Modern every week, and they threw a tantrum. Our Lgs has avoided running both modern/legacy every week (we rotated modern and legacy) to make for stronger fields. Now they're going to play both every Friday. It means I don't have to play Modern anymore, and I can just play Legacy every week.

I'm officially turning my Aggro Loam deck into Lands, as it's always kind of felt like a worse version of it. Seems like it's getting a lot of attention in the lead up to the GP, what list are you running?

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Thisuck posted:

Edit: What are ya'll playing for Legacy this weekend?

I'm bringing Lands and Grixis Delver, just so I can waffle until the last possible second. I'm still new to Lands but I played Aggro Loam for a long time, and I don't want to play an entire day of Delver mirrors.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

yo who is all in Seattle? my wife, for SOME REASON, would rather hang out with her friends instead of watch me play Magic: the Gathering for 10 hours

Just touched down!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Lieutenant Hoffman posted:

Man I wish Lion's eye diamond was reprinted with new art. The lion and the diamond look great but but that ladies face is a deal breaker for me. Such an interesting card mechanically but at that price it needs to have art on the same level as Gaea's Cradle to be worth buying.

Counterpoint; the old art is great and the artist is like a sweet old grandma.