Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Zephro posted:

I've never tried a Radious mod so maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, but surely this defeats the point of having very different factions? Dwarfs are explicitly designed not to have cavalry, for instance...

Modder has no idea of the actual design goals of original game, news at 11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Zephro posted:

They have priests in World of Warcraft too, why no Warrior Priest for Dorfs CA? :argh:

I wonder if they also complain about Chaos and VC having no ranged or Orcs having no ability to spread corruption or whether they ever actually figure out that this is a feature rather than a bug.

Amusingly, fluff-wise, I could totally see an eccentric dorf becoming a Priest of Sigmar. I mean, Sigmar's a right, proper Ancestor God, just one for manlings.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Kimsemus posted:

VC in some ways are the most fun faction to play, hands down.

ABC, Always Be Castlevania.

If only they were proper draculas still.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Everything about the Tomb Kings except for their TT rules is rad as hell.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ammanas posted:

I want a mod that makes a very small unit of dwarves that have tiny health and no melee but slowly throw explosives a short range that absolutely annihilate nearby friends and enemies.

I want a Myth 2 dwarf.

Casualty.

I would like Myth: Total War.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

madmac posted:

Estalia and Tilea are actually pretty big NPC nations without an major oppressive force keeping them down like Kislev or the Border Princes. I have to wonder what they even get up to in all the games where they don't streamroll the Bretts.

Endless slapfight over where the goddess Myrmidia was born.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

kemmler's quest for the staff references them as well

it is noticeable how much they sprinkle them in; I've seen a few elf references, and haven't seen anything pertaining to ogres, beastmen, tomb kings, or other peoples. CA is obviously aware which faction is the best and I'm going to guess whatever expansion they're in will be a bit focused on them while also including the less hyped races that wouldn't carry an expansion on their own.

It might also be that there's another pretty successful recent videogame that features the Skaven as the main antagonists and they want to capitalize on that exposure.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Warhammer is clearly a setting that believes Cat+Bird=Murder.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

FutonForensic posted:

Dear Abby,

I have trouble getting my post-secessionist Empire economy strong enough to take on Marienburg. What buildings and forces do you have in the Reikland province once you invade, and why?

Sincerely,
Incompetent Buttchild

I recommend getting lucky and ambushing the hell out of their field army that's what did it for me.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It pleases me, as a fan of the fluff, that one of the most important things for Karl Franz to do is immediately go stomp a mud hole in Marienburg.

They're kind of dicks and deserve it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Lore of Beasts had loving better have Bear's Anger so that your squishy wizard can hulk out and go collect some torsos.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Triskelli posted:

He's too busy sleeping and getting fat at the Altdorf Zoo.

I like to assume his name is Scrambles and he's basically a pampered mascot.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Are you suggesting deathclaw isn't pampered?

Of course not. The thing with Deathclaw is he's obviously the favorite and actually gets to go out on adventures and things all the time, while Scrambles stays back at the zoo and preens.

Catbirds superior.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Sigvald is the best

Sigvald is so much cooler than Archaon that it isn't even funny.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Stephen9001 posted:

To be fair, I'm pretty sure I heard that Karl Franz tries to make things better, I seem to recall that he once made an imperial edict that was something like a noble isn't allowed to live the high life with fine food and poo poo whilst their peasants are literally starving, and that he has Ludwig Schwarzhelm enforce this.

Though, that's a case of the current ruler being a pretty swell dude and the fact that the aforementioned behaviour is so common mostly proves your point.

Karl Franz is basically a guy who can see the big picture and the practical reasons not to be massive dicks, but he is Emperor of the Not HRE and so he is surrounded by dicks who cannot see that picture, and even being talented enough to describe it to them will not entirely cool their dickery. So he does what he can while fending off crazed lutherans and hordes of turbovikings that want to hurt his magnificent catbird (and also empire).

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mordja posted:

It also seems surprisingly tolerant, given that it's a polytheistic institution rather than One God/God Emperor. And while Witch Hunters may rove the countryside, uh, that's because there actually are dangerous witches and wizards rather than women who know a little about herbs.

The Witch Hunters also have to actually bring evidence and need the local authorities for enforcement. Yes, the trials are pretty heavily in their favor, but they don't have total cart-blanche.

The Empire is polytheistic because all of those Gods provably have power, as well, and aren't that Chaos. Everyone like Shallyans because everyone needs a doctor at some point. Everyone likes Taal and Rhya because they're still primarily agricultural and having some Gods who have your back in the woods is nice when like 50% of your land mass is More Black Forests (and infested with maneating goatmen). It's a weird thing but Warhams actually (possibly accidentally) gets polytheism somewhat right, where a priest of a specific god is more of a professional who knows the complex rites needed for that God's propitiation rather than an enemy of the other cults who wants theirs to dominate; a Priest of Sigmar wouldn't spit on a shrine to Morr or Verena because they know those are still Gods and pissing them off is dangerous.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

unwantedplatypus posted:

Now I'm trying to imagine the vampire lords you see ingame attempting to pass off as normal nobles.

"Well I thought I would try the bald look because I think it looks quite good on me. Oh, what about my dad's nose? He lost it in a war"

They usually look a good deal more human. How they look in game is how they look when they're at war and don't give a poo poo about appearances.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Widows Peak Mannfred will forever be real Mannfred. Bleh!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

my dad posted:

Another issue with being a vampire openly is that there is a not-Egyptian Queen who died trying to stop the first vampire from doing some really nasty poo poo to her people, and is now back from the dead with a grudge that makes the dorfs look polite and forgiving in comparison.

Khalida has every reason to be upset.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

wiegieman posted:

Well, they all basically become jerks after a few decades. In the Gotrek & Felix stuff, Ulrika goes from "woe is me this is awful" to "I'm a badass queen of the night, maybe I should turn the hero's wife into a vampire to get him to do what I want" in about 20 years.

From what I was told of that series, Ulrika's story is 'Ulrika Makes A Series Of Increasingly Poor Decisions'.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

KazigluBey posted:

This is like a super important point when discussing both Fantasy and 40K; a lot of the sources for lore aren't really an external Word Of God - This Is 100% How Things Are From A Neutral Unbiased Position. The army books, splats, heck the entire Black Library catalogue is basically faction propaganda to a greater or lesser degree. More "How They See Themselves" rather than "How They Actually Are".

It's less an intentional 'faction propaganda' thing (though I'm sure they still use that line) and more 'Has been written about for like 30 years by dozens of authors and there's no way in hell anyone's herding those cats'.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

John Charity Spring posted:

I had to make a gif of some of the eagle animations because they're just too good.

I see just the bird part of a catbird still performs very well.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Triskelli posted:

"Small But Vicious Terriers" :colbert:

I remember someone mentioning a campaign they did in the Roleplay game where a single SBVT managed to destroy a party of kitted out Stormvermin, you do not mess with Terriers.

That was me. I thought the dwarven ratcatcher with a gun was the real threat.

I thought wrong.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

DeathSandwich posted:

IIRC It was a game where everyone was playing as skaven and an enemy SBVT drat near full party wiped them.

Edit ^^^ You would use an animal in place of good dwarven steel? That's a grudgin.

It was supposed to be a joke encounter on the way to the real mission and the dog and dorf hosed my Stormvermin up real bad, nearly killed our Packmaster's giant rat pet, and almost tore off the Warlock Engineer's arm, leaving all of us to run off into the Under Empire swearing we'd get that guy and his little dog too.

We avoided Ratcatchers from then on.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Randarkman posted:

Seems like the Red Duke of Moussillon got himself a unique model. I would guess it's like Boris Todbringer in Middenland, though it would be cool if they made Moussillon an alternate Vampire start, with the Red Duke as LL.

The Red Duke is a cool dude and I'd buy that for a couple dollars.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Alright, fast-moving crazy person hick elves controlled by sinister time forests is enough to get me to give this another go.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Can Sigvald still solo siege situations, or does sacrificing soothing servings of slash sealing serums signify Sigvald sliding sadly to being simply sufficient at slaughter?

You're a good person.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

Oh how I dream of a fleshed out Kislev faction and campaign. Being right on Chaos' doorstep would be such a fun and challenging campaign, I wonder if we'll ever see minor factions fleshed out.

Not to mention winged hussars!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Reminder that Chaos still sucks to play as and are just as unfun to fight as well.

They really got them down perfectly from tabletop.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Gejnor posted:

Naval Combat will make them a ton of dosh, so why wouldn't they?

Has Naval Combat ever really worked well in any TW game, though?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Rygar201 posted:

You have to hand it the to Ariel and the Asrai. They did a fantastic job mindfucking an entire culture

It's a very easy way to make sure they have total control over who becomes the King and who becomes the most powerful and respected Knights, yes.

They also totally were the snipers on the grassy knoll who shot down Giles when he was no longer useful.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Lunethex posted:

an ultra lazy dwarf is carried into battle on top of a giant slab carried by 4 other dwarfs which also holds up a giant book containing written record of all the times the dwarfs got pissy

forever

You say this like it isn't supposed to convince people dorfs are incredible.

The Chair-Man is the exact kind of stupid that boomerangs back around into amazing.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Lunethex posted:

Nah I was just bandwagoning the line of dialogue about what is unrealistic or not.

But what is true is that dwarfs are double-hitlers. Each.

Only in Blood Bowl and every other tabletop game that involves them, in every mechanical sense.

Fluff-wise they're awesome.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

madmac posted:

http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Twelfth_Day_of_Festag_2016

The final teaser is King Louen, because we were all dying to get a glimpse of the guy who's been in the game since release. Nice select screen vid though.

They had better give him an outrageous french accent.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Wafflecopper posted:

You must be new to Total War. I'll be shocked if his accent isn't bordering on offensive.

All I know is Karl Franz doesn't sound nearly as German as he should.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

the true enemy of the old world is reddit

e: and GW

mostly GW

GW I understand, but what did Reddit do? Are they big into Age of Shitmar?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Rygar201 posted:

Hah, Harry the Hammer did own.

Someone should do a mod for Harry the Hammer or Asavar Kul to lead the Storm of Chaos instead

It's funny, Asavar Kul doesn't have much personality either but still manages to feel cooler than Archaon, probably because GW wasn't pushing him hard constantly.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

archaon at least has a good role this game, in allowing players to come up with fun new ways to punk him repeatedly

I wish I could find the screenshot one goon posted where Archaon's death animation synced up with Deathclaw's foot landing on him so it looked like the majestic Catbird was just curbstomping him.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

shalcar posted:

The one in the OP?

poo poo, you can tell I haven't checked the OP in ages.

Thanks! Deathclaw is the best catbird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The other problem Chaos has is the Gods are micromanaging jerks who kinda take all the character out of any character who serves them because of their incessant intervention.

This is one reason the Horned Rat owns. The comparison of Archaon to a fail video? The entire Skaven species is that for the Horned Rat. He's happy to just sit back and laugh his rear end off while they blow themselves up and scrabble their way into more death piles and hilarious failure.

• Locked thread