Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

SplitSoul posted:

Today is the darkest day in Danish politics since Fogh committed to Iraq.

Martin Henriksen described it thusly: "There'll be cases where Denmark will violate the conventions. That's how it is when you ask people to walk the line."

And here I thought the constitution obligated us to adhere to international conventions and that MPs were required to pledge allegiance to said constitution when entering office, silly me. Of course, this is the same guy who publicly stated on his own website that he'd be thrilled if Muslim men were deported to torture and political persecution (his own actual words).

I’m a filthy American pig who has lived in Sweden for almost three years, and one thing that consistently confuses me is what the gently caress is up Denmark’s rear end? Between the above, the NYT article about the wild rear end treatment of rape victims, and its immigrations politics and policies, what is the loving deal? Sweden has issues, all countries do, but Denmark just seems so needlessly cruel at times.

Like I thought it was some form of media bias within Sweden in how Denmark is portrayed but no, I feel like I’m missing some huger cultural thing that much like nummerlapp, I’m just not real clued into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

The cruelty is the point.

Coming from the US I understand (the nation was built on it), but even with Kim Wall it seems that Denmark has this really odd edgelord streak in comparison to Sweden.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
When Swedes come to terms with Raggare I’ll handle the ice cream issues, tack så mycket

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Katt posted:

English wikipedia trying to explain Raggare to an International audience is a work of art.

When it's just "Imagine the worst of the worst of rural Alabama. Now imagine people in a relatively progressive country worshipping that culture"

Try living it as a Nigerian American in Sweden. Love to hear “but it’s Sweden therefore totally immune to history, change or self reflection! They don’t know and thus, can’t ever learn!” when god forbid, I take offense to Swedes using the confederate flag like it has no significant history that still endlessly reverberates today.

I hesitantly love Sweden, I’m happy I’m here, but goddamn this country loves to pick and choose what they want to adopt from America without context or history.

Slutligen, Sweden is a land of contrasts.

teen witch fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Mar 6, 2019

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

evil_bunnY posted:

They expect people to not behave like assholes when you point out the flag is racist AF. Could you possibly be willfully misrepresenting a point to further your dumbass agenda?

I don’t even expect that, I just expect a quick google search, an “Usch, fy fan” and minor sartorial reconsideration.

On the other hand, please go on svenskplaining. Hell, gör den på svenska, om du vill.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Mercrom posted:

To be fair who is the average Swede supposed to learn from about the racism of the confederate flag? Americans are not exactly a trustworthy source.

Well for starters, pretty much any source that discusses the CSA will contain that flag (or one similar) and the basic reason as to the civil war, in nearly any major language. Like, first few sentences of Wikipedia in Swedish on the American civil war discusses why it happened, and putting A and B together doesn’t seem too difficult.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Potrzebie posted:

Some very important customers of Swedbank are pissed the gently caress off that the money laundering business is now out in the open.

[url]https://www.svt.se/nyheter/inrikes/swedbank-blockar-anstallda-fran-svt-s-anonyma-tipssajt[/

[quote="Potrzebie" post="493157931"]
Some very important customers of Swedbank are pissed the gently caress off that the money laundering business is now out in the open.

https://www.svt.se/nyheter/inrikes/swedbank-blockar-anstallda-fran-svt-s-anonyma-tipssajt

Seems the PR move of blocking others from informing on their activities will surely work out in Swedbank’s benefit and by no means make them look even more sus as gently caress.

Meanwhile I’ve had to fight with Swedbank to be able to pay my student loans and send the IRS the correct information for the trillionth goddamn time.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Potrzebie posted:

It's cold and raining, check mate climate change believers :smug:

Fake Edit: and still the area around Rosenbad/slottet was full of young people calling for action to save their future. It was really heartwarming to see and hear :kimchi:

I work on Drottninggatan and it was a breathe of fresh air to see kids protesting and making their way down. It’s been a gloomy day.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Potrzebie posted:

If Swedbank gets shut out from conducting USD transfers I'm going to laugh until I puke.

Asked them if they knew of any way to pay back my student loans in the States, what with having a counter in Manhattan and all. They told me the transfers were for businesses only and I kept thinking “what loving businesses are using Swedbank for anything in the US?”.

Clearly I missed the hint.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Cardiac posted:

Companies that does business in the US?
Given that the Swedish located company I work in gets like 50%+ of its business from US, I wouldn’t be surprised if we had a Swedbank account there.
For international businesses having accounts for USD, pound, yen and Euro is standard.

I would figure they’d use a bank a bit more known than Swedbank, outside of Swedish companies perhaps. Then again, Citibank has a counter in Stockholm.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Potrzebie posted:

Um, this is quite the derail from Scandinavian politics...

Mp, in a desperate attempt to make sure we never forget just how much they suck, now via the minister of athletics (also minister of culture and democracy, because why not) enthusiastically support a swedish bid for the Olympics. Who cares that Stockholm, one of the places to host this shitfest, does not want it.

gently caress everyone if that stupid corrupt poo poo is held here.

I work on Drottninggatan and the summer tourism swells alone are goddamn infuriating.

On the other hand, maybe SJ will be taken serihahahahah sorry I can’t I can’t finish.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Vaguely related, but Assange has been nicked

https://twitter.com/richard_littler/status/1116279995482165248

He...isn’t looking great.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Last summer was surreal when it came to the fires and the insane heat. I’m used to hot summers, I’m used to forest fires, just...not in Sweden, if that makes sense

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Katt posted:

Jesus. I just spotted one of the KD signs in the wild "make EU lagom again"

How did "lets reference Trump" pass all the political checks and balances all the way to publication?

Do they think young Flashbackers with Pepe shirts are going to vote for the Christian party with a whole range of straight racist parties to choose from?

Sörmlandstrafiken did something similar with loving taking the buses and I felt disgusted that no one thought “let’s associate public transit with a racist demagogue.”

I’m kind of hoping that someone calls out KD for this but lol at genuinely confronting racism here. I’ve seen knockoff MAGA hats at Buttericks for fucks sake.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Rutkowski posted:

Uh no. That's not true in any way. I have never met a single Swede who isn't KD, SD or even further right who isn't openly against him in a way that was never present even with Bush who was pretty universally loathed. It's a constant subject matter in public transportation and it's never positive or even neutral. He is hated in a level that is unprecedented.

also lol that media is never on KDs side. Last year KD were pretty much the media darlings all year up until the election.

Rutkowski posted:

Uh no. That's not true in any way. I have never met a single Swede who isn't KD, SD or even further right who isn't openly against him in a way that was never present even with Bush who was pretty universally loathed. It's a constant subject matter in public transportation and it's never positive or even neutral. He is hated in a level that is unprecedented.

also lol that media is never on KDs side. Last year KD were pretty much the media darlings all year up until the election.

Yeah but no but yeah. Swedes are more curious and kiiiinda naive about Trump, but don’t support him unless they’re further right than KD/SD, and they’ll let you know.

Most Swedes, however, will ask me how I feel about Trump as an American. I’m painfully brown.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Groda posted:

Trump's great.

When Bush was president, Swedes blamed me for America having voting for him.

When Trump got elected, they just felt sorry for me.

I still get “but what about Bernie?”

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
They’re taking up the Assange case again, here come the dumb conspiracy theories.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Not sure if we can embed IG posts but Pony Hans, darling Pony Hans

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxhcN5qCJR6/?igshid=ekawr9mhb2kv

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Dirk Pitt posted:

Why the gently caress is this the top of DN on the 21st of May year of our lord 2019?

I am actually kind of embarrassed that I sold all my poo poo in Oklahoma to move here 3.5 years ago.

You and me both, but replace OK with NY. I feel like I imported American style brain worms whilst immigrating.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

learning Swedish politics is fun and not at all loving mind boggling as to how people haven’t started throwing punches.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

BigglesSWE posted:

Found out one of my oldest friends (who lives in NYC nowadays) intended to vote for SD in the EU election but wasn't able to because of...reasons.

Dunno how he voted last year but I feel a :sever: is in order here. I might let it slide tho; if he wants to be a loving idiot, at least he's an whole ocean away.

Sever and hope that a minor glitch in his immigration process deports his rear end.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I can barely commute to Stockholm from Eskilstuna without a delay because of a leaf landed near the tracks.

Olympics in Stockholm is just a bafflingly stupid idea that barely merits a second thought.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Wild Horses posted:

Very rarely have I seen someone disregard someone asking them to smoke somewhere else.
Of course, most people never actually ask smokers anything, just imply things by clearing their throats and stuff

Then those same people go home and write legislation against public smoking haha

Confront someone? Absolutely not! Easier to look down than to do something.

Seriously, if someone wants me to not smoke somewhere or move from a spot for the love of god ask it’s sincerely not a big deal. I’m already hyper aware of where I do smoke to try and avoid others, or go to a designated spot.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

hosed up but true. I’ve had to venture on there for answers to little random questions, and yeah I found out that it’s basically a big sociopathic Facebook news comment thread...but I’ve also found what I needed, answerwise.

No one exactly informs immigrants on a ton of things here, a lot of us have to sort of venture out on our own and hope it isn’t hosed. Sweden is quite closed off if you aren’t Swedish (even if you speak Swedish), so we rely on what we can and tell each other.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Groda posted:

The amount of mundane information I've gotten off it of it since I moved to Sweden is huge.

As soon as you can read passable Swedish, it and FamiljLiv instantly become your toxic Hitchhiker's Guide to Sweden.

Legit this, as I said before, you don’t exactly get a helping hand once you move here, Swedish speaking or not.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Winklebottom posted:

have you taken into account the fact that the Greenlanders don't want to be a US state

besides, would 55k people even make a difference in any US vote?

No, because they’d likely go into weird protectorate limbo and have no actual say. Wyoming has 570k approx and has like 3 EC votes.

They’d never get statehood, because they’re too “”””””ethnic””””””, and the whole “colonialism speedrun” of this hairbrained media stunt/expression of severely deteriorating mental illness.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

loving hell that chasm for France.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Poil posted:

Welp. They've quietly closed down the closest arbetsförmedling to me and smugly direct people towards other municipalities. Doubling the time to commute and increasing the fare price by three or four times depending on which town I "chose" lol. Oh and I received a letter from them asking if I wanted to remain (gotta grab all the chances to improve the statistics) with a short time to reply. No idea if the response letter made it there in time, depends on the post. But at least they weren't as slow as socialsekreterare who takes two weeks from posting to arriving despite having their office about 10km away from where I live. It was so fun to receive a letter with a meeting time three days prior and my response e-mail being autoreplied with "I'm on vacation for four weeks lol".

gently caress everything.
:suicide:

Good god, my condolences. I’m lucky that I have one downtown but I’ve heard horror stories as to how useless they are, among their poo poo campaign they had recently.

The vacation auto reply is Swedish_bureaucracy.txt, as I’ve learned.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Groda posted:

Back when I first moved to Sweden, in order to get an ID card from Postens kassaservice or your bank (only two options for non-citizens), you needed:
  • A Swedish form of ID
  • A valid Nordic form of ID
  • An EU-passport book
  • Someone who could vouch for having known you for five years
Non-EU and just arrived? *crickets*

Fortunately, they ended this nonsense and made Skatteverket start issuing ID cards, since Migrationsverket had already validated the non-EU passport as part of the immigration process, and vouched for it when you got folkbokförd.

Jfc, I needed my “you’re allowed to be here” papers from Migrationsverket and US Passport. Brought the ex to assist. Got my ID card like two weeks later, with personnummer :toot: this was in 2016

However

I work with like a third Brits and holy poo poo they’re trying to get their ducks in a row because of Brexit and the amount of paperwork needed is boggling and seems to change constantly. My office manager has been in the country for nearly a year, was denied a personnummer multiple times, and had to give every paystub - ever. She’s here to marry her German partner who is a citizen and live with him in Sweden. She finally got her number two weeks ago. Another coworker just got citizenship today after being with his partner for around a decade and having a kid together.

I’m dreaaaading going for dual in two years.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Groda posted:

Personnummer / civil registration problems are 99 % an EU citizen problem, since their right of residence is such a nebulous concept, and only truly covers people supporting themselves long-term. We non-EU went through a well-documented application process, while they just kind of showed up.

Dreading the citizenship application process is verging on cultural appropriation. It's literally the least demanding application process for us. Even applying for status as a long-term EU resident requires more paperwork.

Holy poo poo I didn’t know it was more of an EU hassle than for us filthy infiltrators. Finally everything’s coming up golden for Americans! :shrek:

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

SplitSoul posted:

In my case, it was the shitheads accidentally handing out internal addresses. Five times in a row. Could be that, maybe?

And they wonder why some people get physically aggressive to the point where they need security guards.

Once in a blue moon my work email gets weird with ö in emails - could be it?

Also good god while I feel bad for the workers at arbetsförmedlingen, the system seems incomprehensibly hosed. Which kind summarizes my life here dealing with anything that has the state involved. Better than America though :shepspends:

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Ofaloaf posted:

If immigrants to Sweden get a house and four wives, can someone tell be what office I'm supposed to submit paperwork to so I can get that?

e: just the house would be really nice.

I’ll take the wives and we can just be five wives. Sometimes an immigrant is just five wives, stacked one on top of another.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Wild Horses posted:

snus doesnt smell unless you're literally kissing the snusée
and it usually doesn't show on a person (except on me because me lös-snuser)

Incorrect. Snus in SJ trash bags riiiiight up against the heater reek to high heaven and I’ve surrendered seats because of it.

there is no ethical tobacco consumption under late harm reduction.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
As a Movingo monthly holder, I should go lay down on the tracks now for a 2 hour delayed train to obliterate me, yes?

The more I learn about railways in Sweden the more I’m amazed that they run at goddamn all.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
When I did SFI, one of the first things they did was show us where the library in Eskilstuna was and everything the library could do for us.

Wouldn’t be shocked if SFI was next on the chopping block.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Cardiac posted:

Well, considering SFI have a number of issues, something should have been done about it a long time ago.

The SD suggestion is stupid as hell and btw never going to happen.

It’s not without it’s flaws but a program that supports immigrants trying to learn the language is a good thing.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

BigglesSWE posted:

And since these questions won’t lead to action-packed headlines, no one will notice and suddenly “oops, Vänsterpartiet is now legally a terror organization.”

My girlfriend is two years from becoming a citizen; if that were to be arbitrarily prolonged because Ulf decided he wanted some of that racism I’m gonna be royally pissed. Anything else they’ll cook up will obviously be loving terrible as well.

Two years away myself and having to mentally prep for “chances are they’re going to pull Some poo poo” isn’t great after hearing too many migrationsverket horror stories.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Groda posted:

Holy poo poo, did I oversleep and wake up in Denmark?

https://www.migrationsverket.se/Pri...get-boende.html

You know what asylum seekers need after losing drat near everything? A slap in the face.

Jfc I’m convinced these people live in an entirely different plane of existence.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

BigglesSWE posted:

Tack Danmark, för att ni påminner oss svenskar att hur illa vi än beter oss, så är våra grannar alltid värre.

This video but replace Cleveland with Sweden and Detroit with Denmark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzgAjjuqZM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Nice piece of fish posted:

This except totally unironically

If I had a better camera, and vague musical skills I would do it. I’m like halfway thru mentally storyboarding it.