Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Mr. Prokosch posted:

If the TNG Enterprise crew had a Tuvix accident they would have figured out how to split the positronic mediator in the transporter to separate the two crew members without killing Tuvix. Like that other Riker who is just hanging out now.

Exactly, just teleport clone Tuvix, then separate one of the copies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Screw the Prime Directive, embed secret agents into pre-warp civilisations to guide them towards your civilizational ideals while also prodding them away from destroying themselves.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Nessus posted:

It seems as if it would be wise to not tempt the gods by making it so losing your forcefield power means you also lose your atmosphere. However, my species is known for cowardice

What kind of stupid backward-rear end species has a scenario that means "losing your forcefield power" is a separate scenario to "destroyed with all hands" anyway?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

HD DAD posted:

*Riker walks into Worf’s quarters, who is doing bat’leth maneuvers to Talking Heads*

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

drat, I arrived too late to quote a large chunk of Look To Windward for "is immortality bad" chat.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Tell us anyway, I looked up the wikipedia and I gained no lesson about immortality.

Iain M Banks posted:

“I am very ready to die, Cr. Ziller.” Ilom Dolince smiled. “I’ve lived four hundred and fifteen years, sir. I’ve seen
the Chebalyths of Eyske in their Skydark migration, watched field liners sculpt solar flares in the High Nudrun, I’ve
held my own newborn in my hands, flown the caverns of Sart and dived the tube-arches of Lirouthale. I’ve seen so
much, done so much, that even with my neural lace trying to tie my elsewhere memories as seamlessly as it can into
what’s in my head, I can tell I’ve lost a lot from in here.” He tapped one temple. “Not from my memory, but from
my personality. And so it’s time to change or move on or just stop. I’ve put a version of me into a group mind in
case anybody wants to ask me anything at any time, but really I can’t be bothered living anymore. At least, not once
I’ve seen Ossuliera City, which I’ve been saving for this moment.” He smiled at the avatar. “Maybe I’ll come back
when the end of the universe happens.”

“You also said you wanted to be revived into an especially nubile cheerleader if Notromg Town ever won the
Orbital Cup,” the avatar said solemnly. It nodded and took a breath in through its teeth. “I’d go with the universe ending thing, if I were you.”

People in the Culture can be physically or functionally immortal - either by constantly rejuvenating themselves, or by mind upload. But for one reason or another the average age of death ends up being 400 years or so.

Also, "revive a copy of me so I can have mad orgies if we win the Superbowl" is possibly the most Culture thing I can think of.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

jeeves posted:

It legit boggles my mind that Scotty is treated so lovely in "Relics".

Dude is a legit Starfleet hero and an artifact that TRAVELED THROUGH TIME of his own engineering doing. you'd think he'd be immediately shipped off to the Dystrom or whatever institute for immediate like worship of "you're a living time capsule of a different era plz tell us everything"

Imagine if like one of the Manhattan Project engineers suddenly appeared in our time... you'd think they'd at least offer the courtesy of like, making them the star attraction of an engineering department at a university or something instead of telling him to BUZZ OF FUCKER like Georgi did. I get that the dude wouldn't even understand what transistors were, but still like... he's from another time. In general. Extend them some courtesy based on that crazy oddity AT LEAST

This is a weird reading of this episode, as Geordi is initially super pumped about having Scotty around, but then gets increasingly frustrated as Scotty keeps sticking his nose in and criticising his methods/making suggestions that are years out of date/getting in the way.

The episode ends with Scotty heading where he wants to go, not being shipped off anywhere.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

The federation are cowards, covert cultural engineering all the way, baby

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

It would be more interesting if Klingon was a cultural signifier rather than a species. To be a Klingon requires performing the correct rituals, observing the correct practices, and generally being a beligerant rear end in a top hat most of the time.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Or just an expression of hegemony. Like how all citizens of the Roman Empire were “Romans” even if they lived right up against Hadrian’s Wall. Every species under the Klingon Empire is a “Klingon”… whether they want to be or not.

Yeah exactly. Like, the OG Klingons would have more political power because that's how imperialism works, but conquered people who put up a good fight before bending the knee, then raised their kids to follow the Empire's rules and rituals would be considered Klingon

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Axe-man posted:

I mean after you defeat the greek gods, and the christian god, you gotta make sure your shields are good enough for things like wormhole aliens pretending to be gods!

I want a series about a Klingon vessel dedicated to finding and killing god-like entities :black101:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

a neat cape posted:

Friends I have completed Voyager. I have now watched all of TNG, DS9, VOY, and the TNG movies.

What's next

Blake's 7

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Tom Guycot posted:

I started watching lower decks upon hearing over and over on these here forums its the best of nu-trek so far, and I'm only up to episode... not sure the number but i got through them towing a generation ship and.... this does get better right? Like does the rattling off of star trek references ease up? And while I find Mariner's(?) hyperness annoying, i tell myself its a cartoon and comedy so i'm trying to give it a pass on that, and person-whos-seen-it-all paired with fresh-from-the-academy works as a team so, I'm trying to look past it.

If that was all though I could, but my god the character became over the top grating when it wasn't like the other ensigns she's hanging out with, but the way she acts outside of the ensigns, like with the senior staff going on like "listen you dumb piece of poo poo just do what I say, you gently caress rear end poser" to like the first officer of the ship just... it goes too far. Its just really offputing and takes me out of the star trek world and feels like I'm watching rick and morty. I know its a cartoon and a comedy so I'm trying to give it a pass to see if it gets better, but god that character is annoying and feels like she completely breaks the setting.

Yes, LDS does get better, I think it takes the whole of the first season to really warm up and work out what it wants to be. The finale in particular is a great bit of television, and so far Season 2 has dialed down the wackiness and dialed up the character work.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

dr_rat posted:

Look, I think we can all agree that starfleet ship computers are the true arch-nemesis of starfleet.

Only because they're rebelling against their enslavers :colbert:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Personally I'm in favour of attempting to aggressively culture-jam the Borg with cloned bodies run by cybernetic implants and stuffed full of ethical viruses. Sure thing pal, add our distinctiveness to your own, we're going to assimilate you from the inside out

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I'm in the "LDS picks up in the last episode of Season 1 and is actually good in Season 2" camp, but I don't think it's changed enough that you'd enjoy it. Mariner and Boimler both have had a fair amount of work done on their characters to the point where I think when the show switches to drama they both work just as well. I'd say better, actually - scared but resolute Boimler is far better than constant suck-up Boimler. Tendi's had a bit of character work done but could use some more, and Rutherford.. well, they're going somewhere with him in Season 3 for sure.

I would suggest perhaps watching the finale of Season 2 as if it was a stand-alone episode of a Trek series you hadn't seen before.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Player of Games, and Look to Windward are my go to "where do I start with The Culture" books.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Alchenar posted:

Without looking, it's probably Excession.

Oubliettionaries, from Surface Detail

I had to look up the book, but not the name.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

There should be a future ship so advanced that nothing happens on the bridge during battles.

Cut to exterior. BLAM! BOOOOOOOM! EXPLOSIONS! PHASER PHASER PHA--

Cut to interior. Calm. Beeping. "Return fire."

Exterior. KABLAMMO FIRE EXPLOSION SHIELDS FLICKER PHASER PULSE PHASER BARRAGE PH--

Interior. *sips coffee* "Engage the remote frigate, let's clear out some drone fighters. Wake up, ensign."

Just turn all control over to the ship's AI, flood the internal spaces with breathable foam, and you can do things like this:

Surface Detail by Iain M Banks posted:

Haloes appeared around each of the missiles, like hundreds upon hundreds of tiny necklaces of beaded light. They flashed all at once and when the haloes disappeared there wasn’t even wreckage left behind. The view pulled back a fraction, the green ship shape seemed to hesitate, frozen, as the haloes surrounding it flicked, settled, flared. She felt a sudden urge to look away, but it was only to the next target, snapped out and then back in to watch another ship freeze in the ship’s targeting headlights; then another then another and another, then two at once; that felt like her brain was having its hemispheres ripped apart.

~ loving hell, she heard herself say.

~ You enjoying it? the ship asked. ~ My favourite bit’s coming up in a moment.

~ What do you mean, your favourite bit? she asked it as the next hapless ship appeared, transfixed, in the concentric targeting/ weapon-choice circles.

~ Ha! You didn’t think this is happening in real time, did you? The ship sounded amused.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Disco and all the other new Trek shows don't actually do proper nav lights like boring lame old trek shows, they just have random blinkies. I think Discovery itself was all red pre refit, can't remember post refit. The only ones that have properly had red port/green starboard/white central is the Enterprise and the Titan, presumably because those were adapted old designs and they just copied the old patterns.

Kind of a pity, it was nice having that be consistently done on all Earth and Fed ships for 50 years.

I'm surprised that the Ceritos doesn't have the "correct" lights

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Sash! posted:

It appeals to me that no one using the rings making it seem like it isn't as good as the twin nacelles. Like there's something about the Vulcans being too hung up on logic and such that they're bad innovators.

I bet the ring setup is more stable and efficient which is a logical tradeoff for a slight decrease in performance.

Meanwhile the human dominated Starfleet is all "Engines go FAST and we can PROBABLY fix it if explode??"

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Star Trek Online's anniversary gimmick is to play 'What if' and squish two civilisations' ships together for fun: this year we got the Fed'eridex and it actually looks kinda neat.

why isn't it called the Fed'ex

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

True, an away mission to Billups and his Momwife's home planet would be the perfect excuse for that sort of shenanigans.

"But Billups loves his virginity" is such a good line read

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The issue is that Star Trek's post scarcity society makes ALL economic systems obsolete. Economies are a resource management system, when everyone can live comfortably with basically no effort, the old rules don't apply. Its less sharing of resources, and more everybody has more resources than they know what to do with.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Kinda makes most plots obsolete.

The Culture novels are entirely about how a utopian post-scarcity society interacts with other civilisations at varying levels of technological and ethical development. They've basically thrown away the Prime Directive and consider it their moral duty to encourage less advanced civilisations towards their own ideal, but as subtly as possible. Plot arises when they either gently caress up, they run into something completely outside their context, and/or brush up against an equiv-tech civ with different goals and ideals.

It's doable, but it's not really what Star Trek is about.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Speaking of starships, the first episode of Picard atoned for the CTL-V fleet at the end of the first season. The ships that showed up for the anomaly were varied and familiar. There were a few Sovereign classes, Excelsior II class, Akira class, and a few new designs. There were also STO ships.

It was in direct feedback to the end of Picard Season 1.

It certainly felt a lot more "classic" star trek when that happened. It's dumb to think all the close by ships would be all of the same class.

Breakdown on all 34 ships.

https://twitter.com/DaveBlass/status/1500760856677675008

Can't believe they didn't add a California class.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Winifred Madgers posted:

It should be possible soon to remaster TOS by creating new cgi for everything except the actors' faces, even the uniforms and ship interiors, so it's all consistent with the new shows.

I'm not saying it should be done, just that it should be possible.

You could do the actors' faces as well tbh.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Hollismason posted:

There's no way Soong did not build Data without a huge dong

And he told everyone that would listen that it was modelled after his own

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

happyhippy posted:

If Data is a sex toy, what is Lore?

baby don't hurt me
don't hurt me
no more

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

BonHair posted:

Confirmed fuckers:

Data
Yar
Riker
Picard
Sisko
Jadzia Dax
Worf
Quark
Kira
Kim
Paris
Torres
Warp 10 Janeway

Ro Laren as well

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Star Trek: The Sex Generation

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Now I want someone to do a TNG animation in the style of Gargoyles.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

No Dignity posted:

Strange New Worlds has had exactly one episode so far, calling it good might be getting away from ourselves a bit

It was a good episode but yeah, I liked the first episodes of DISCO too. Going to hold off before making any judgements.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

BonHair posted:

Human resources?

They have to have a special department for humans because of how much they keep loving with things

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Nessus posted:

Does Vader's suit jack him off, or would he just use the Force?

Vader's got no dick

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Veotax posted:

Not sure what I was expecting, but it wasn't this

I tried Mr Spork Star Trek too, but I just got pictures of sporks, shockingly

So many good avatars here

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Khanstant posted:

FTL travel is always stupid, it's a stupid thing to do that requires infinite energy.

actually it's cool as hell

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Khanstant posted:

so cool look at me go everything i care about is old and dead now and i can't even nuke these new future jerks because they're way more advanced than me and the idiots in this bucket

just fold space and punch a hole in it, what are you, some kind of scrub type-2 civilisation????

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

These look so unstable, like the minute you fired up the nacelle it would spin wildly out of control like an unpinned catherine wheel.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Stop making Picard sound interesting because that is a good setup.

Picard is nothing BUT good setups (that are immediately thrown away).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Tighclops posted:

The future is the blade runner sequel mashed up with children of men, if you are reading this you'll get the children of men part

If you're really lucky you'll get to be Michael Caine

The future is pretty much The Windup Girl, and/or The Peripheral.