Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

http://www.pstewsings.com/ doesn't deserve to be left on page 998 of the last thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3576140&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=998#post461624548 original post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

MikeJF posted:

I can't remember if that was the one where he married a smoking hot half-Klingon-half-Romulan chick, or was that one of the other ones.

Same series, but I don't think it came up in Return.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Baka-nin posted:

Having watched a lot of the early DS9 episodes again thanks to Netflix I've noticed quite a few of them have a very clumsy happy ending tacked onto them and some really wacky plots, show up, everyone remembers Move Along Home, and rumpelstiltskin , but there's also that one where O'Brien becomes a cult leader in a Bajoran village and has to fight the sky demons, or the one where they all re enact an alien coup and Sisko builds a clock.

I think no one mentions that village one because it's the worst kind of bad: it's boring. There's nothing to remember about it except that it's bad.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I can't believe I missed Vic Fontaine chat. I mean, someone actually said that James Darren's actual singing was bad? God drat that was a lot of 100% wrong opinions. Except that one mirror universe episode, that one you can call bad and I like most of the DS9 mirror universe episodes.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I like Time's Arrow because

Delsaber posted:

All I can ever think about whenever Time's Arrow comes up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Rd5DlT_m8I

It led to that.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

This got covered up by con news but so long Admiral Ross, you were the one competent admiral (and no more evil than Sisko).

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

WampaLord posted:

It's because Star Trek shouldn't take 3-4 minute long breaks to feature a loving terrible lounge singer. That's why I hate Vic.

Look, I'm willing to accept that maybe Vic Fontaine's character might not be the greatest thing DS9 ever did for SOME people, but stop insulting James Darren's singing :colbert:

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Aug 16, 2016

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Now the nerd in me is wondering if it would be faster/cheaper to just build a series of transporter relays between stars and planets instead of building a whole lot of ships. Though obviously if they go light speed that's out and I guess it was only the new movies that kind of established the "speed" at which transports travel.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Kazinsal posted:

I was always under the impression that "Federation fighters" were at least runabout sized, and were more like a Defiant shrunken to the point where there's no room for anything other than munitions and enough air to get you through a battle assuming that the antimatter bomb you're riding on doesn't get bisected by a Galor.

That's basically what a jet fighter is right now. It's easy to forget that jet fighters are actually kind of big - about 60 feet long and 40 feet wide if you include the wings. No idea what the runabouts in DS9 were officially sized at but I imagine it's somewhat similar.

Of course the DS9 space battles shouldn't have happened in general ("Huh, a giant line of ships in front of us. Okay, well whatever, angle 1 degree upward and don't drop out of warp.") so really someone just wanted action shots of small ships getting blown up by big ships again.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Aug 18, 2016

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Everyone else has starfighters. Can we not have one setting where starfighters aren't king?

Considering how often they were shown getting blown up, I think that setting is Star Trek.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Also Intendant Kira.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Jadzia's was at her best in the wedding episode because she was an arrogant know-it-all too obsessed with her own superiority to tone it down just a bit for someone she didn't consider an authority she had to answer to.

She should have done more of that.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

You're all some weak-rear end nerds if you can't watch Babylon 5 all the way through.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

Were there ever any Klingon Borg?

The one I remember shows up commanding a Sphere as Voyager attacks a Cube.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

This is the problem with post-First Contact Borg in a nutshell. They shouldn't have "commanders" or even communicate vocally. Even in Best of Both Worlds they had Locutus watching the attack on a viewscreen. I realize this was probably due to production limitations, but the Borg as a hivemind really went off the rails very quickly.

This was after they broke the link somehow (I guess it probably was Unimatrix Zero) so it's fine in that respect. It showed up to help Voyager.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Nebakenezzer posted:

Comes with glop bucket! sleeping vessel:

e2: it was packaged in 1995, which means poor Odo was unsold for 20 years.

Isn't that the outfit Mirrior Universe Odo wears?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

T.C. posted:

More importantly, what are Riker and Picard staring dramatically at moments before it gets turned on? The back of Data's head?

Without the viewscreen on, the enterprise bridge is super awkward. Everything is set up so that nobody can look at anyone's face.

It's like that friend who has their living room set up entirely for TV watching. Then they have a party and you realize that you're all just sitting there pointing at a wall while you're trying to talk.

I've always thought the crew on those couple of ships that get blown the gently caress up as they hang around their assigned position while Picard waits until the most dramatic moment to issue his "fire" order must have been really annoyed while they were consumed by fire and vacuum.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

What did they think didn't work?

I can tell what they didn't think didn't work.

Vic.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Rhyno posted:

So wait, these books say that the DS9 writers don't think Vic Fontaine really worked?

VINDICATION.

No, I was just making a dumb joke that they definitely think he did work, mostly because of posts like that :v:

Going by interviews Ira Behr certainly loved having him.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Angry Salami posted:

We're one step closer to the post-atomic horror!

If Trump is what it takes to bring about the Federation then I guess some sacrifices have to be made. Chances are most of us will be vaporized in the first seconds anyways so what do we care!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Data Graham posted:

I've seen more awareness of Tom Lehrer crop up in the last two days than in like my entire SA career to date.

It's going to be a good time to be a satirist. Assuming they aren't all executed at least.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Civil Discussion

The Pleasant Sunday Visitor

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Year of Heck

The Omegle Directive

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Rhyno posted:

89 new replies in the Trek thread! I bet we have a casting announcement!

Oh.

This is a terrible joke title.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Timby posted:

It gets better.

Jesus christ. Thanks for ruining actually good fan productions Axanar.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Phimosissy posted:

You're not authorized to use the tricorder yet.

You're not authorized to set your phaser above stun.

You're not authorized to use the express turbolift to the battle bridge.

That's the worst Star Trek sim ever. Everyone knows literally anyone is allowed everywhere on the ship and use any piece of equipment at all with no oversight.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

I forget if I ever posted the USS Derp from Chinese Toys-R-Us but I ran across the pic again so enjoy.

This had made me realize that Starfleet ships are basically flying saucers from the 40's with a few tubes glued on.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If you can watch TNG you can watch B5.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

MrJacobs posted:

I would loving love this. Have some white trash show up later wielding empty beer cans and baseball bats to make it better.

The elite guard are military/police drop-outs and discharges with mismatched and inappropriately coloured camouflage gear who are also wearing a bunch of tacticool gear they don't even need.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Lordshmee posted:

How exactly does twice-treasonous, noted Maquis terrorist, former ensign Ro Laren wind up with a third-chance captaincy?

They mistook her for Kira.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

override367 posted:

rich aloof people laughing about how hosed Europe is while the underclass' fuse is burning out around them?

I can see it

Already happening except replace "rich" with "white."

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Quark, totally more evil than Weyoun. That chart should be hauled away AS garbage.

The logic could be that since Weyoun is genetically engineered to be completely loyal to the changelings he literally cannot be evil because evil requires intent???

Though in that case he should be right at the centre because anything he does could be considered the will of another.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

It's probably because of the fact that my last arc run of DS9 was ages ago, but why did the Federation keep going through the wormhole once they realized that it pointed into the territory of a dangerous murder faction? The minute you realize you're in someone else's turf and they don't want you there, you say "sorry, I didn't know", you turn around, and you lock the magical door behind you. That way, the Dominion is just a race way out there, you're way out here, and nobody is gonna have an issue with anyone.

Oh, and another DS9 question: was the Defiant mandated by the higher ups? I thought the draw of the series was that it was a central location rather than a ship, but half the episodes I remember are "We were tooling around in the Defiant and found this hosed up thing".

That it was a central location with no Trekking was one of the complaints too. It is both right and wrong.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

What are a handful of solid non-arc episodes of DS9? I'm kinda bored and want to watch some of a series I generally haven't bothered with, but not bored enough for a grimdark war arc.

Duet (S1), The Visitor (S3), Second Skin (S3), Civil Defense (S3), Past Tense 1 & 2 (S3), Little Green Men (S4), Our Man Bashir (S4), Hard Time (S4), Trials and Tribble-ations (S5), Things Past (S5), Far Beyond the Stars (S6), Take Me Out to the Holosuite (S7).

The ones in the later seasons can have some things that relate to the Dominion war (for example, the reason behind Sisko's visions in Far Beyond the Stars) and may spoil earlier events if you ever want to watch the series from start to end but for the most part they are minor references only. I don't remember what exactly is talked about in those episodes but if you want to avoid any important spoilers, don't watch anything past season 5 as the final episode of season 5 and season 6 is when the war really gets going.

Edit: I can't believe I forgot Season 2. Whispers, The Wire.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Dec 18, 2016

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Speaking of DS9, and I guess I watched some clips at some point for Youtube to recommend these to me, but there's some crazy person currently uploading a whole bunch of 5-ish minute clips from DS9

So I guess if you ever need one of those good scenes to recommend DS9 to a friend, you have a resource now?

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Dec 18, 2016

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

WampaLord posted:

Holy poo poo DS9 is like the tamest war story ever told, it's the furthest thing from grimdark.

Chain of Command, Yesterday's Enterprise, Best of Both Worlds, The Drumhead, Measure of a Man, and Lower Decks are all fun, light-hearted episodes, I don't know what TNG you were watching!

In the Cards, Take Me Out to the Holosuite, Explorers, Little Green Men, Our Man Bashir, Trials and Tribble-lations, Who Mourns for Morn, You Are Cordially Invited? Get that Warhammer 40k poo poo out of my Star trek.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

As someone who has heard far too much baseball stupid on Chicago sports radio, there is no episode of Trek I hate more than Take Me Out to the Holosuite. Of course Sisko's team lost. They were a bad team. There's nothing noble about bad baseball.

See, you're missing the point. The point of "Take Me Out" isn't baseball, or teamwork, or "have fun more than anything else," or some sentimental bullshit like that.

It's " 'Vulcans? gently caress those guys.' - Benjamin Sisko"

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

No, I get the point they were trying to make, I just reject it. Unilaterally gently caress that fire-and-passion bullshit Sisko peddles about the sport in that episode.

You thought I was making a joke. I'm not. Sure, I can accept that the writers intended it to be your typical heartwarming Go Team episode but everything about it comes across as "gently caress those stupid Vulcans in their stupid Vulcan faces." And it's great.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Grimdark means something different than just "dark." Or it did, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

WickedHate posted:

Sisko: So... I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again, I would. Garak was right about one thing, a guilty conscience is a small price to pay for the safety of the Alpha Quadrant. So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it...

-in the background, Jar Jar Binks is engaged in light slapstick with some tribbles-

In WH40k, Sisko is then executed for even having a guilty conscience.