Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

I loved the Shatnerverse books. I'm a big Kirk fan so the were just awesome to me.

Those books make more sense than Troi beating Data at chess.

You have to enjoy them for what they are and don't take them too seriously. I mean, Kirk literally fights everyone, like Worf, Riker, and Picard, and WINS. :smug:

There are some cool Kirk moments too.

Binary Badger posted:

All right, which one of you guys made this page? Kinda weak jokes, I know, but outrage is outrage..

https://www.facebook.com/Garth-Alec-seek-Leaker-Is-it-YOU-290243024650080/?ref=all_category_pyml_rhc

I love this part from Alec Peters:

quote:

Axanar uses professionals behind and in front of the camera and thus you get different quality of work than ST:NV and STC.

Continues' lead cast are all pro actors...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Gammatron 64 posted:

I just watched the one where Ensign Kim's girlfriend comes back from the dead as a Kobali. I kinda liked that one because she was kinda cute when they gave her some hair, even though she's still a living corpse. As per usual, one of Voyager's guest stars is more interesting and likable than the actual cast and I was just wishing she was a main character.

I hate that episode with the fury of a thousand suns.

If that had been a main character, Janeway would have mowed down the entire Delta Quadrant to save her and bring her back. Instead, she's like "eh, whatever" and lets one of her crew go off to become an alien for REASONS. A crewmember whose dead body was hijacked by an alien race and brought back with all her memories intact.

"Dear Ensign Mary Sue's Mother,

I regret to inform you that your daughter died in the line of duty. She was brought back to life by some aliens, but we decided to let them keep her. Them's the breaks I guess!

Captain Kathryn Janeway, Commanding Officer, USS Voyager"

:psyduck:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

Wasn't the point that over time the other girl's memories would take over and that's what happened?

Imagine if it's been Tom Paris? She'd have found a way to technobabble him back I'm sure.

Arglebargle III posted:

The moon will never be a nice place to live. 14 days of sun and 14 days of night? Yuck.

Same with Mars. It's no place to raise a kid, that's for sure. Too cold I hear.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Good thing they didn't pick Chekov, or there'd be accusations of Jeep Burying The Gays... :v:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Maybe Prime Sulu was closeted and JJ Sulu embraced his true sexuality.

Pegg just said something that's making the rounds to the effect of "things are different in this timeline, so for whatever reason Kelvin Sulu might have turned out gay but Prime Sulu might not be."

I suppose you could handwave the canon by saying that the more time passes since the Narada incursion, the more things will change. Kirk was born at that moment, Spock and McCoy are older as well. But the younger folks? Hikaru Sulu's parent's might have had a son in both timelines around the same time and named him Hikaru Sulu, but if he was conceived even seconds later, and a different sperm hit Mama Sulu's egg? You get a totally different person, perhaps one who is gay. :shrug:

Which is why the odds of there ever being Kelvin Timeline Jean Luc Picard, William Riker, etc are exceedingly slim. Of course, Star Trek doesn't always adhere to this logic, since for whatever reason when the Mirror Universe timeline diverged around First Contact (if not earlier) you still had the same folks being born and getting together in the 23rd and 24th centuries, but whatevs.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Tighclops posted:

Canon is great when used to effectively tell interesting stories, add to the feel of a real living universe and for the occasional bit of fan service for an anniversary episode or something

Like anything else, it's a depressing waste of a good thing when abused to market a bunch of "shared universe" horseshit or otherwise done poorly

I take the opposite view. I don't get why people get so blase or against canon, like it "ruins" the story.

These universes have a large, shared history. It's no different for me as a fan to learn and know about it than it would for me to learn and know about real history I'm interested in, like the Roman Empire. I wouldn't like to watch a documentary about the Roman Empire where they play fast and loose with poo poo I thought I already knew, and for me things like Star Trek are no different.

Plus it's not like the old days of the 60s-80s where most of the canon facts were hard to find, usually locked into the episodes themselves and you'd have to watch them all constantly to make sure you were being "correct." Nowadays all sorts of minutiae is cataloged and written about online and in reference books, easily indexed for anyone to see. And if a writer doesn't have time to factcheck, there are literally thousands of fans who would do it for free.

Changing up or ignoring established stuff about the fictional universe annoys the poo poo out of me, whether it's a biographical fact, technical detail, or something big like completely changing the physical appearance of a character (Zefram Cochrane, Khan) especially when new characters could have been slotted into their place easily. Some canon stuff is impossible to reconcile, especially when you are dealing with stuff from the 60s-80s, before there was a large shared universe with established facts, technology, and history. Thus we'll always have vagaries about Earth history from 1990-2100 that don't make sense, or stuff like the UESPA. But there's no excuse for modern Trek movies and shows, often written and made by fans, to gently caress up canon. :colbert:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Knormal posted:

I think he's talking about more like when they decide Khan's a white guy or Zephram Cochrane's completely different personality between TOS and First Contact, rather than when they have to swap actors for real life reasons. If they had cast Saavik-A as, say, some Asian woman instead of another brunette Caucasian, it would be pretty distracting. And I agree with everything he said about canon, I like it when there's a rich in-universe environment to get immersed it. Otherwise it's like why bother even watching if anything that happens can be retconned later when some writer gets a different idea. I'm not talking about little things like messing up stardates or character's extended family trees or something like that, but when they can't keep straight the number of decks their starship has it just seems lazy.

Yep, this is what I mean, on both points. Cochrane was completely different and it's a huge leap to believe that James Cromwell's character could have become the square jawed serious space pilot/scientist that Kirk met in TOS. There was zero reason why Cromwell's character even had to be him, other than fishing for some fannish reference points with the name, but that entirely backfired when they wrote him the way they did as a rocking Doc Brown drunk scientist. The entire story would have been just as strong if he'd had a different name, and was just another guy who contributed heavily to the development of the warp drive and Cromwell played him the same as he did.

Cumberbatch was a great villain, and the story of them messing with the original 90s Augments would have been a great hook, especially if he was another guy and the shadow of Sleeping Khan loomed over the movie as a possible threat. There's also a very interesting implied but unexplored (outside of novels and comics) background of Khan as a Sikh and Indian, and casting him as a British white guy blows that up. I mean yeah, Montalban was Hispanic, but at least he was attempting to play Indian. If they had to cast Khan, it should have been as an Indian or Pakistani actor, it would have been great. Khan had a complex origin which changes with the times--in TOS making him an Indian was a boost to the idea of the future multiculturalism of Earth as championed by the international crew Roddenberry created--this was a world where in 30 years India could create a genetic superman and compete on the international stage, and even though he was a dictator he was "one of the best" and shown to be tragically noble. It was ballsy not making him a white man in the 60s--I mean, he could have been German or something. And you'll notice Khan's crew in TOS were all pretty international. Nowadays, making him Indian and letting his origins inform his character has a different nuance in real life. Either way that was taken away with Cumberbatch, because it's essentially color blind casting but for the wrong reasons and changes the character's history (unless you contrive weird plastic surgery retcons). Personalitywise Cumberbatch is more similar to Montalban than Cromwell was to Corbitt, but I just feel something was lost whitewashing him and that's a shame.

I don't have an issue with Saavik being recast, stuff like that is what it is and at least Robin Curtis made an attempt to play her similarly. Recasting the original characters in JJ Trek isn't ideal either, but some (Quinto, Urban, and Cho) do a lot better than others (Pegg, Pine,) and some are just passable (Saldana, Yelchin) probably due to the lack of depth of the original characters to begin with.

On the technical stuff, that's what I'm saying too. It's lame when there are official published book and online resources and people like Sternbach and the Okudas who professionally keep track of stuff, but writers and producers just end up handwaving it for "story reasons" when if you did keep to canon, it wouldn't matter. It's also dumb when you're dealing with a property where it's fans pretty much invented obsessive nerdy technical fandom. I think usually it comes down to them writing something and when they find out it's wrong being so attached to the line or concept they don't want to change, or studio suits who have a frightening lack of understanding or care for the universe laying down dictats. It's one reason why Doctor Who is so much better at this, the people who have total control are the spergiest of sperg fanboys.. And yet somehow, even though they bend over backwards to keep to canon 99% of the time, they still tell great stories that resonate with a large following internationally of casual and new fans. Funny how that works?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

I think it was a great example of heroes not living up to their expectations. In later years, he's more formal because he's making public appearances. In that instance, he's just some guy building a space rocket in a post-war wasteland.

It was a great example of that thing with heroes--and would have worked far better if we hadn't seen the guy as an "old" man 200 years later, acting totally different.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Rhyno posted:

By the way, Nana Visitor in Cardassian makeup?

Still would.
\/

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

"On the Klingon homeworld, your name is not mentioned."

So? Do world leaders routinely shout off names of all the major houses at meetings or something?

"SOUTH KETHA WASSUP!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Crdao-yNAIA

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

More fan films news...Star Trek Continues is premiering their next episode in September, as CBS did say anyone who was in production on an episode could finish it. They had planned 6 more, but are being cagey as to whether or not they willl do them. Seems unlikely.

New Voyages/Phase II is done. Cawley said he has "quit making films" but in a surprising move, CBS has given him one bone: StarTrek.com is promoting a set tour of his sets which are now under official license by CBS.

http://www.startrek.com/article/the-original-series-set-tour-to-open

quote:

If you ever wanted to experience what it would be like to visit the set of Star Trek: The Original Series, now is your chance. Star Trek super-fan James Cawley is honoring the 50th anniversary of the iconic franchise with the opening of his meticulously designed TOS set tour. Located in historic Ticonderoga, New York, and under license by CBS Consumer Products, the set tour brings memories to life by allowing fans to boldly go and tour the sets of the legendary Starship Enterprise.

Stage 9 at Desilu -- now Paramount Pictures -- in Hollywood comes back into focus, as the sets have been re-created exactly as they were laid at Desilu during the original run of TOS. Visitors can step onto the soundstage and be transported directly back to 1966. Additionally, beginning later this month, visitors will enjoy guided tours, photo opportunities and an immersive experience into the world of the classic television series.

Cawley started creating the sets in 1997 after receiving a copy of the original set blueprints from TOS costume designer William Ware Theiss. He then spent 15 years researching, crafting and refining his set replicas alongside other dedicated fans and craftspeople, including Trek alumni and fellow fans prop fabricator Ed Miarecki and concept designer and SFX supervisor Daren R. Dochterman.

Pouring over stills and frame captures from TOS and sourcing vintage materials and antiques, Cawley ensured that even the smallest details were accurately and lovingly reproduced. This spanned from an array of props to set decorations. The result is a stunning achievement offering the most complete and accurate reproduction of the original TOS standing sets.

“To me, there is no other franchise around that is more enjoyable and more socially relevant than Star Trek,” James Cawley said in a statement. “I’m very thankful for all the support I’ve received on this project and can’t wait to begin welcoming my fellow fans this summer.”
For more information about James Cawley’s Star Trek: The Original Series re-created sets and how to tour them, go to https://www.startrektour.com.

"Sauce for the goose, Mr. Saavik."--it certainly sticks it to Axanar, and shows what happens when you play nice.

They are also letting him charge for the tours, so he is actually making money off Star Trek--legally! (and I'm sure CBS gets a cut of course) He can use the money to keep the sets and pay for the building rent/mortgage and power, etc...and I suppose recoup some of his personal costs. It also looks like the deal is he doesn't promote fan films anymore, and he is not allowing any fan films to shoot on the sets ever again. :(

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Awww, that's so rad. :3:

EDIT: Oh hey here's a CNN article about it from January

'Star Trek' show made by fans is a hit

Not only that, he was so into costuming that he used the stuff he got from Theiss to personally create all the costumes they used in NV, which is why they always had such great costumes from the beginning. He made the green wraparound tunic for Archer in the Enterprise Mirror episodes, IIRC:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

Gene was probably in favor of gay stuff

I bet he was! :quagmire:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

WickedHate posted:

Let's not forget what partially inspired that episode, after all:

Whoa, really? What's that from?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

A bit on the nose (as was TOS Star Trek and a lot of other fiction at the time though), but very cool. I had no idea that existed. Very ballsy for the era!

After The War posted:

Didn't you used to come to the Politoon Thread? EC Comics are the most important thing ever. :colbert:

At least in regards to genre storytelling.

Oh goodness no, I only ever frequented the newspaper comics thread, but it moved too fast and I lacked the time to keep up.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Wow, lotta hate ITT!

I was checked out the last couple days til I could see the movie tomorrow so as to be able to read the black bar stuff, but of course after seeing the Discover teaser I had to jump back in!

First thoughts--YAY IT'S IN THE PRIME UNIVERSE!

Second thoughts--gently caress, IT LOOKS LIKE ANOTHER PREQUEL! :mad:

Third thoughts--It's not an Enterprise? LAME

Fourth thoughts--HOLY loving poo poo THEY USED THE MCQUARRIE DESIGN?!?!DJFIOAJASOFJAD23R08R9FJCME3229345

Well I'll admit I've never been a fan of the McQuarrieprise, and I'm sure as poo poo not sure where it fits in between NX-01, Franklin, Daedelus, and Kelvin, but you know what, I gotta give 'em credit for sheer loving balls. I mean, they knew it was gonna be controversial. But at least it's not another increasingly flat post TNG ship, or a copy of something else (I'm looking at you NX-01 Akiraprise. I was salty about that for-loving-EVER). It definitely shows they are not afraid to try something different with the show, which is a good sign.

I think it'll grow on me, especially once we see the larger universe and where it fits in, what the rest of the Federation and Starfleet look like, the uniforms, and how they all fit in with established history. Also I'll give it this, it looks like a loving monster when it comes to power--is that like 3 warp nacelle pods banded together in each nacelle? :getin:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The Dark One posted:

Huh, I didn't realize Rod Roddenberry had a formal role with the new show.

Interesting. He's heavily involved with Star Trek Continues as well, in fact he said about that production:
"“I'm pretty drat sure my dad would consider this canon. And, as far as I'm concerned, it is canon.” -Eugene ”Rod” Roddenberry, Jr."

And also:
"Ultimately, I’m a fan of the fans keeping Star Trek alive.” Roddenberry said. “The group that I’m really interested in right now is Star Trek Continues. Their writing, their costumes, their sets, their lightning — everything is spectacular. I’d say a lot of those episodes are as good and in some cases better than some of the original episodes.” he said of the celebrated fan series."

It seems his role as EP of Discovery is more of a "goodwill ambassador" than anything else, but perhaps his being somewhat involved in Discovery is the reason why Continues is still apparently producing full episodes as of today.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Baronjutter posted:

What would that philosophy be be the way? The idea that it's ok for some people to have massive biological advantages over others so long as it's "natural" for their race, but trying to do it on purpose is playing god and horrible.

Why can Vulcans have super strength but humans can't? Why can tons of races of minor to major psychic powers but humans can't? And if all this technology does exist and is fairly easy to do why isn't every race that doesn't have the federation's hang-ups on engineering not turning them into super people. Do you really think the romulans would scoff at turning their race or at least their elite into genetic supermen?

I don't think it's a Federation rule per se, I think it's more a human one. Humans are deeply guilty about what happened during the Eugenics Wars and outlawed it among themselves. Vulcans or Tellarites or whoever could probably give a poo poo if humans did some genetic editing.

Falken posted:

Yes, I was thinking the same thing, but I actually kind of like Tuvok anyway.

Mr. Tuvok is actually one of my favorite Vulcans in the franchise.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Gammatron 64 posted:

Whatever, dude. Nu-Spock literally feels like an entirely different character to me. I feel like his characterization is way, way off.

I seriously feel like Tuvok feels more like Spock to me than JJ Spock. Nu-Spock is more like a T'Pol.

I think it's because Nimoy had a gravitas about him that Qunto lacks. Nimoy looked older and more serious

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

sunday at work posted:

There'd been a first run season of Trek on for like 13 years atraight when ENT premiered, the last few of which had just been Voyager. People were burnt out. It was not a good time to jump in on a poorly written prequel.

Hopefully the new prequel isn't poorly written! :haw:

Seriously though, I'll be very disappointed if STD is just another prequel. I want to see new stuff, not backstory dammit!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Arglebargle III posted:

No it was bad.

What I hated about the Xindi arc was that it almost immediately took away from the premise of the show. If you're going to do a prequel, then it should be the Enterprise exploring the Alpha Quadrant and finding new poo poo, setting up the world we see in TOS. Oh look, here's this new planet blah blah and we are having first contact with them! Here's some weird cool poo poo like giant space amoebas like Kirk used to find! And if they were really ballsy, they could have went with canon and had the Enterprise have no viewscreens so it was like Wrath of Khan sub warfare, radio only (or BSG, to name another example of good, non-viewscreen scifi). And lasers and atomic missiles instead of "phase pistols" and "photonic torpedoes." No shields instead of "hull plating." No transporters the whole run of the show. Instead of making it a 1:1 clone of TNG era Trek, it could have been very different.

Granted, they reversed that later with the Vulcan/Andorian/Tellerite stuff, and they had some cool exploration episodes, but the Xindi arc was a misstep. Hopefully if STD is a prequel again, they'll do a better job sticking with the premise right away.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Finally got to see the movie today. Great movie, definitely my favorite of the 3. Pine has really grown into the Shatner role, and the callbacks to TOS and Enterprise were awesome!

So a question:

The helmeted soldiers were all drones right? So were the other humanoids like Krall's righthand rear end in a top hat and the chick who got a house saucer dropped on her the other survivors of the Franklin?

Gaz-L posted:

I think Krall's motivation, thematically anyway, is a bit more complex than 'revenge'. (I don't think Admiral Robocop was after revenge, either? I thought it was a whole false-flag/pre-emptive strike thing?) It's basically a concept of nativism and nationalism (Edison feeling like we need to constantly be in conflict with aliens, trying to beat them and 'win' without any thought to what winning actually gets you, basically a harder-line version of Archer's anti-Vulcan stance at the start of ENT) vs diversity and the Federation's cosmpolitan, diplomatic utopia, which shows that Pegg and his writing partner understand Trek a lot better than the previous team.

I think his motivation was actually more similar to another Peter Weller character from Star Trek, John Frederick Paxton. More than likely with Edison being a contemporary of him, Edison believed in his Terra Prime ideals.

I also gotta say I think The Franklin is a really cool ship. Like an old hot rod. I'm glad she finally made it home.

Astroman fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Aug 1, 2016

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Oh I forgot my favorite joke/callback in the new movie:

"I ripped my shirt again!"

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Gammatron 64 posted:

Patrick Stewart, Levar Burton and Whoopi Goldberg already had fairly prolific acting careers before TNG. Patrick Stewart is also one of the greatest actors alive.

I hear he's won 37 individual awards!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Unless you're Admiral Forrest, and then you just look like an idiot.

I love the fact that the tie, a last piece of 20th century fashion, made it almost to Kirk's time. :colbert:

But then again, in the Kelvin Timeline at least, there were a ton of civilians rocking ties in Beyond.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

So if TNG scripts were rejected Phase II scripts and ENT scripts were rejected TNG and VOY scripts, then STD will be...rejected ENT scripts? :aaaaa:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Baka-nin posted:

Oh you mean how the Federation thought Joe Piscopo was the greatest comedian of all time?

That and the root beer analogy really explains a lot about future culture...

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

quote:

the lead role in ‘Discovery’ is not necessarily a captain

:what:

I guess it could be about the end of the Romulan War or something, but in that case they'd better goddamn well have NX's and a cameo from Idris Elba...

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

At this point I hope it will be in the JJ timeline, because they're gonna gently caress up canon of that era to hell and gone.

Things we won't see:

These uniforms:

Or these:

Or a bridge that looks like this:

Or Klingons that look like this:

And nobody is gonna wanna futz around with lasers and wimpy old Starfleet ships of Pike's era that are clearly not as advanced as what we're used to seeing. I mean, I want to believe that Fuller and Nick Meyer will respect the history, but I've been burned before on Enterprise, even though towards the end they did a lot to start dovetailing the history and look and feel into TOS. I just can't see CBS wanting to see a series that doesn't look like JJ Trek, all shiny and new and futuristic. Retrofuturism is not something to hang your hat on.

So gently caress it, set it in the Kelvin Timeline.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Give me a Trek from another powers point of view with Starfleet as these assholes antagonizing people through being uptight dinks. Like, where's the Romulan Trek? Or even a show back in the Delta Quadrant, showing how Voyager totally hosed up their lives and the legends around them somehow.

From a few pages back, but can you imagine how great that could be? Like a serious, hard hitting show set 100% in the Romulan Empire with good guys and bad guys, all Romulan? That made you CARE about their lives, families, intrigues, and politics? Plotting, murders, love. Like Man In The High Castle, where you find yourself feeling weird for like a Japanese Empire official or American Nazi guy, because there's shades of grey and everyone is humanized. That would be an amazing show.

Also the Excelsior Class rules. gently caress the hatas. :colbert:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

He's aged very well but he very much has shown signs of aging. Please compare:

Wow, you're right! :v:

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

How do the photonic lifeforms of Voyager reproduce? Are there wavelengths of light which contain photonic chromosomes?

"When one photonic lifeform and another photonic lifeform love each other very much,"

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Am I the only one who thinks they should just continue the DS9/Voyager timeline instead of trying to do retro shows? You can't have the 60's back. It's done.

Nope, I fully agree. In fact what I've said for years is that I want ST:TNG:TNG and set it 100 years or so past VOY (or the video game even) so that it's as alien and different to us as TNG was to TOS 30 years ago. Make that poo poo look even more futuristic than JJ Trek, WOW us in 2016!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

After The War posted:

I would love to see a return of the Big Idea Science Fiction you only really saw in TNG, especially with beings far removed from our definition of "life." Before they were dumbed-down, the Borg were an exercise in not just collective intelligence, but collective identity. You had a four-dimensional species that built nests in black holes. Nagilum was a sentient sector of space that needed to have the concept of "death" explained. The Trill. The beings trapped in the other side of the Tyken's Rift whose communications could only be interpreted through dream imagery.

We still need all the stories that are about holding the mirror to our own world, of course, but I miss their opposites, where they see just how different life could be.

That was also a very TOS idea, that Weird Space Stuff.

I know all the cool kids like to poo poo on Roddenberry, but that sort of stuff was endemic to the years he directly supervised Star Trek (though how much of that he had a hand in is debatable I suppose). The Bermanga Years were fairly bog standard scifi.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

"The Secret Intrigue Behind The Mirror Universe" is apparently...LESBIANS! :rolleyes:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I think part of the intention too though was to show how the two series were connected, to show ENT was "legit Trek" and part of the history of the world of TNG. It was a very poor time to show it. Had that been a midseason gimmick, it would have probably been a fan favorite on par with Trials and Tribbleations.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The mechanics of the framing device and the episode they chose are inconsequential in comparison to the episode they chose to do the crossover in--the finale.

Think back to how much everyone loved the Sulu flashback on Voyager. Fans love that poo poo. Just not as a series finale.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Mukaikubo posted:

From that Ron Moore interview, which was pre-Enterprise:

"At one time, Moore considered the idea that he might be at Paramount to work on the next TREK television show, but things did not work out that way (see Part I). Now he is looking at TREK from the outside for the first time in many years. Moore says, "I’m not there, so I don’t know really what the situation is between Paramount and Rick and Brannon, or how far apart they are, or what the proposals are. What they shouldn’t be afraid to do, is to step away from all the STAR TREK that there is. A new series should not take place in the same time period as THE NEXT GENERATION. It should not revisit any of the current plot lines. It shouldn’t deal with the Klingons, and the Cardassians, or the Romulans and their current state. It should either go forward in the future, or back in the past.

"The STAR TREK past—it’s challenging; it sounds like it’s fun on one level, and I thought that was an interesting way to go for a long time. But it has a lot of pitfalls to it. You have a very complex future mapped out. If you are going to go into STAR TREK’s past, say, pre-Kirk, you better have an iron-clad commitment to maintaining the continuity that’s been established, or I think you are just going to lose everybody. Because if you go back before Kirk, and you start screwing around, and you just don’t care what NEXT GEN or DS9 or VOYAGER established, or the movies, or even the original series, you just try to make it up as you go along, I think you just lost everyone. The whole franchise will just collapse, because it will have no validity whatsoever. If you are going to go there, you really better be prepared to truly put on the STAR TREK mantle and be the keeper of the flame. I think that is really hard for Rick and Brannon. It’s hard for them to do that, because they don’t like the original show. Let’s not mince words. They don’t like the original show. They have never liked the original show. They’ll bob and weave a bit here and there in public. But they don’t like it; they don’t want to have anything to do with it. If you are going to go before the original series and do something, you better have a change of attitude. You better have an epiphany about how much you love the original series. It’s all going to be about leading up to that.""

Yeah.

....yeah.

:smith:

Next time I bitch about prequels ruining canon and my reservations with Discovery, and someone wants to say I'm just being a nitpicky nerd, remember that Ron Moore agrees with me. :colbert:

Ron Moore posted:

if you go back before Kirk, and you start screwing around, and you just don’t care what NEXT GEN or DS9 or VOYAGER established, or the movies, or even the original series, you just try to make it up as you go along, I think you just lost everyone. The whole franchise will just collapse, because it will have no validity whatsoever.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Duckbag posted:

Some of the other time travel episodes have the same issue, but you're less likely to notice if, say, the 19th century costumes are cartoonish exaggerations (no, Mark Twain didn't dress like that all the time) than when it happens to the present day. Star Trek's costumers have always struggled with their non-Star Fleet wardrobes. The Fed civilians in TOS have this very weird mix of flamboyant contemporary (or somewhat old fashioned) styles or drab jumpsuits and space pajama.. The aliens usually wear repurposed costumes from old historical epics or more bland jumpsuits. For the civilian attire from the movies, everyone had those awesome (but not particularly future-y) leather jackets and McCoy had that inexplicable disco medallion. TNG only had two main characters who weren't in standard uniforms and they were a nerd in a weird one-piece space turtleneck and a grown woman who went to work all day in a variety of tight blue leotard get-ups. Weirdly, Troi's mom, whose outfits are supposed to say "loud and flashy," comes across as pretty much the only character who actually dresses with a sense of style. Factor in the upholstery fabrics in DS9 and the horrible nonsense then came up with for the aliens of the week in Voyager and it's not a pretty picture. I read a little bit of the Fashion It So blog, but it was too depressing (also I'm a nerd who doesn't really care about fashion).

What amazes me though, is that despite Trek being on the air for half a century, we never got a coherent picture of how Federation civilians dressed and, aside from the love of one-pieces, how it's actually different from our era.

I thought they did a great job on the civvie stuff on Yorktown in the new movie.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

There are still people who see WW3 looming every time Putin sneezes.

Fuckin' ECON, man!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

quote:

One of the more fan-maddening comments about the new show – which has kept the nerdiest of us digging deep into Star Trek history minutia the last few weeks – is that ]b]DISCOVERY will be set about ten years before Captain Kirk’s five-year mission[/b] on the USS Enterprise.

Fuller talked some more about choosing that spot on the timeline… and how the passage of time might be portrayed a bit differently in the new series.

[The time period we chose] came pretty organically, because we are going to try to achieve a new look for ‘Star Trek’ that is very much ‘Star Trek,’ but also our interpretation of ‘Star Trek.’ I love each of the shows I work on to have a distinct aesthetic […] so it seemed like a good place to start our signature look for the ‘Star Trek’ universe and work our way forward as we tell the stories.

:ughh:

quote:

[Uniform design will be] something completely different [from ‘The Cage’]. I think when you see the design, it’s a little bit of this and a little bit of that.