Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Angry Salami posted:

It wasn't named after Elon, it just smelled really bad.

iirc she literally says she went to "elon musk elementary" or something like that (maybe it was middle school. i'm not watching discovery again to find out)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
i posted a bit about this in the other thread but i went to a trek thing on board the uss intrepid a few years ago (the real one, lol)

here's some props

(shouldn't have ate the peanuts)

my wife and i got there kinda late so the pics are lovely and rushed, sorry :smith:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

i don't know how many goddamn times i've seen it but i still have no idea what the hell the point of 'the lights of zetar" is

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

lol yeah scotty absolutely has problems with women

as mentioned "who mourns for adonais?" is just gross, super patriarchal, sure, but infantilizing as all hell. this lady is not only your friend, she's the greek mythology expert, perhaps she might have some insight as to the weird fucker threatening to kill your entire crew

i have a soft spot for "a wolf in the fold" because it's so ridiculous but it is also problematic — scotty basically gets to go to a prostitution planet and a bunch of women get murdered. everyone just assumes its scotty. thats not good! lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

also i didn't realize its that shari lewis either holy poo poo lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

:lol:

lmao i forgot about this

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

"Let That Be Your Last Battlefield" and "Requiem for Methuselah" both have problems, but they're enjoyable stories I think. They're not great episodes, but they're decent sci-fi, which is what TOS is on the whole

"All Our Yesterdays" is also good and should be watched instead of "Turnabout Intruder"

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Khanstant posted:

Picard S3 ep 3 spoiler Geordi married to a Soong golem implanted with a holo Leah. They even have a kid but they do nothing with the concept, basically ignore it.

lmao

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

There's two Star Trek Vics. The Good Vic, the holographic lounge singer from DS9, and the Bad Vic, the creep who molests underage girls and thought this

was an acceptable James T. Kirk.

lol can't believe this creepy looking dude is a creep

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

I still can't believe Terry Matalas had the unmitigated balls to try and compare that episode to A Beautiful Mind. Holy poo poo.

i think terry matalas has not seen any of the things he supposedly references. its the only way any of it makes sense

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

why does a space ship need racing stripes?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Arivia posted:

lower decks made racing starships a thing in the star trek universe recently and it's loving rad

"racing ships" are fine, that makes sense. they have yacht races for whatever reason too so i assume someone enjoys it

but these are apparently thrusters also? thrusters that they didn't need before?

i mean guess they needed to come up with functionality for these things that look suspiciously like racing stripes, but i find that almost more insulting than the actual stripes. if they just thought the stripes were cool... just add the stripes? apparently literally nobody will stop you unless the stripes cross over

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

MikeJF posted:

Every Starfleet ship ever, from the original series on, (ENT and Disco future excluded) has had red racing stripes on it if you look at it. The original had it on the nacelles and engineering. The D and Voyager had it on the top of the nacelles and down the spine. Defiant has it outlining the whole top. All the background ships have it. A red racing stripe on the top or side is the Starfleet livery. Lower Decks just extended it to yellow and blue.

Oh when I say the yellow things are thrusters I don't mean the stripes, sorry, the thrusters aren't in that little crop out. They're the yellow squares on the edge of the saucer and other sections.

They've been visible on every single Starfleet ship since the TMP refit. They're one of the many constants of Starfleet design language you don't notice but helps keep the feel.

They're not actually visibly shown in use much though, although ostensibly they're used all the time. We saw a shot of them firing off once in TNG, I think, and there was a cool scene in Lower Decks showing them

https://i.imgur.com/RyDW2K2.mp4

Also here's a cool fan made video you all should watch because it's awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdRUL8RbDw8

lol i appreciate the clarification, i was hoping it wasn't that dumb

stripes have obviously been a part of their design language from the beginning, that's true. they haven't been this prominent though and it kind of seems silly for something that people will realistically spend most of their time not being able to see

obviously we do see it though, so i understand why they're there. they look a little weird to me, but overall i think it's fine and relatively consistent with the rest of the design's evolution. i was just hoping they weren't paint thrusters

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

MikeJF posted:

I think he was taking about the big decorative stripes, not the hull utility markings like the thruster highlights or stuff like the little red circles around the umbilical ports.

The big stripes I think it's, well, you see ships on the viewscreen often enough. And also they're advanced enough that why not.

yeah, to be clear it's this

it was the source of my "just add the drat stripes then" diatribe lol. these producers have made some really really dumb choices to justify other stupid poo poo so it seemed plausible to me

not that the stripes are dumb — they're fine — but thruster stripes is going a bit too far. which they didn't do so that's good

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Cross-Section posted:

When Kirk orders Warp Point Five in TMP is he ordering half-impulse or what

according to wolfram alpha "warp 0.5" in the original series would be 0.125c. with the tng scale it would be 0.09921c

if it has any impulse propulsion capabilities though i haven't hit upon the magical incantations to make it work

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Twincityhacker posted:

...man, it would be cool if there was an app or program the writers could use that they could plug in "how long it takes to get there" ( because that's the important part in the drama ) and have the program spit out how far away the thing should be.

With special functions of "give it everything you got" and "divert all power from life support to engines" settings.

lol even warp 10 in TOS is really slow compared to warp 9.99 and it's 1,000 times the speed of light

1000c vs 7912c

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Opaka would like a word.

(Yeah, I know she stopped being the religious leader of Bajor early in S1).

she was more trouble than she was worth

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Astroman posted:

Klingots?

I remember like 8 Star Trek threads ago I was making that Enterprise reference and somebody got offended about me being racist to Klingons or something. :allears: Good times!

I haven't watched yet because I'm waiting to get together with some people to watch it. I see the 1500 new posts in the other thread and don't know if that means it's real good or real bad... :ohdear:

in TAS cyrano jones calls them "klingins" and i have taken to that pronounciation

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Prurient Squid posted:

How is it possible that we have endless Star Trek reboots and nobody has thought to launch a series with a fake out where we think that O'Brien is a ship's captain in the opening screen.

this is less plausible than moriarity returning

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

HD DAD posted:

Have….have you seen the trailers for S3?

unfortunately

they seem to be setting it up with the whole "fleet museum" thing, so i guess it makes sense if you ignore the enterprise-d saucer crashing into a planet from orbit

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Sash! posted:

Museum ship with a reproduction saucer.

If you go to see the Brig Niagara from the Battle of Lake Erie, you get to see a literal ship of Theseus.

that could make sense too, but then how did the holoprogram survive? in TNG they just trap moriarity in a battery basically, he doesn't actually leave

imo the only explanation that makes something resembling sense is that the saucer survived and was recovered, but that seems... also very unlikely, given what we are shown in generations (but it's been a while since i've seen it and paramount pulled it from plus, so)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

CPColin posted:

It'd be a hell of a thing to leave lying around for the pre-warp people to stumble on. They probably sent some Starfleet MiB to scrap it and rake over the big gouge it left.

lol yeah that's actually a pretty good point

but given that the dominion war kicks off shortly(?) afterwards, and starfleet gets their poo poo thoroughly wrecked, it doesn't seem like a plausible explanation to me. why spend time and effort restoring what is essentially just another galaxy class ship? if they were to do that i think they'd put it into service considering the manpower shortage (and later utopia planetia blowing up)

yeah yeah it's a tv show and matalas wanted everyone on the great space liner of the galaxy, but it at least used to make logical sense, even if it was contrived

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

disaster pastor posted:

There's a bit more than two years between the crash of the Enterprise-D and the evacuation of DS9 and beginning of the Dominion War. I could see them reclaiming the saucer immediately, but then just leaving it in mothballs as efforts move toward preparing for, and then being in, the war. Pressing it back into service might be harder than just building a new Galaxy-class from scratch, since you'd need to build a new stardrive section to begin with and then rebuild any part of the saucer that's no longer spaceworthy.

yeah, thinking about it more recovering it is not much of a stretch of the imagination in a universe where transporters exist. it just seems like an answer to a question nobody asked though — we're given three entire movies to show that the D is gone and everyone has essentially moved on to the E. it kind of feels like, "whenever picard and riker are on screen, people should be asking 'where's the enterprise D?'"

at the same time this seemingly gives geordi something to do (presumably after he also retired, but who knows) and is a convenient plot device, but still

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

CPColin posted:

There should have been a couple Galaxy stardrive sections whizzing around during the Dominion war, having either dumped off their saucers or had them destroyed in battle

since saucer separation is supposed to be routine in emergency situations, this makes sense to me. i think it also makes sense that they'd just bolt a (presumably pretty old!) saucer on to a stardrive section they found with the crew dead or whatever if they had a shortage in wartime. why just keep it mothballed?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Der Kyhe posted:

In LDS they already showed the ship museum with Ent-D saucer fished out from the planet and refitted to age-appropriate secondary hull. They also had a replica of Ent-A that Kirk blew up.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Wait, what episode did we see that in?

lol i also just assumed i missed this. admittedly i hadn't really given lower decks my full attention while i was watching it

this is the weekend however :thunk:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

HD DAD posted:

Speaking of Dave Blass, he posted something on IG that referenced the Shrike being built by the Elachi aka the Silent Enemy aliens.

:negative:

i had to look up who they are

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

That's a shame because Silent Enemy was a pretty great Enterprise episode on the premise of "the NX-01 encounters an enemy far out of their league that says nothing, kicks their rear end, and then leaves and is never seen again." Emphasis on the "never seen again" part.

that's exactly what i was thinking too. it's probably been like 5 years since i've watched it, but the whole "silent" part is right in the title. i had to look it up because i didn't remember anything about them — no surprise, they don't actually tell you

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

knox posted:

I thought the Silent Enemy aliens looked super cool/interesting/pretty scary honestly. Watching Enterprise for first time now and I do wish they were able to do what someone posted earlier that the writers wanted, to be on earth for first season as you would think any prequel series would be, but that the studio wanted them to do same old poo poo again and be exploring in the Enterprise. This rush into space without establishing the show/characters/why it's a prequel led to the kind of hollow feeling Xindi 'Big Bad' (and Mr. Hologram Man lord of lizards or whatever) as a new villain like The Dominion which they 'technically' avoided copying by saying these 5 (or 6?) distinct races somehow advanced together on the same planet (respek to the gigantic ant race that held it down).

Also, does anyone else feel like a lot of the Season 3 time stuff doesn't make sense in any sort of fictional standard time travel-y way? Like when Archer pushes T'Pol out of the way of the temporal wave anomaly which gives him outside-of-time nanobrainworms so that he can't form new memories. The way it all went down with Archer climatically triggering the whatever blast that will kill all the nanomachines, I guess ending that timeline, and waking up in sickbay like it never happened, was a little what the gently caress moment; essentially because they said "if we get rid of them and Archer can be captain again for those 6 months to find the Xindi weapon, everything will be alright!"

a lot of enterprise doesn't make sense in exactly the same way. that could be because there's simply not a lot of it, but it's pretty clear they were running on fumes idea-wise

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

> punch dukat

The Federation has a treaty with the Cardassians.

> tell dukat to go away

> poison dukat's kanar

Kanar is already poisonous.

> use phaser on dukat

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

the snes ds9 game came on a microsd card that was included with a handheld emulator thing i got. i could never get very far in the game though because they basically don't tell you anything and it isn't intuitive at all. i'm not even that bad at games from that era lol

so i realize that's probably because games used to come with an actual manual that explained the setting, story and instructions, but goddrat that game makes no sense as-is

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

holy moly i had no idea there were two hours of footage for this

does it combine into a coherent narrative?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Timby posted:

Not particularly. Pretty bog-standard story of a conspiracy between some Starfleet cadets and some Klingons to incite war between the two empires. (Translation: They did a find-replace on The Undiscovered Country, with an added Kobayashi Maru cheating subplot.)

Also, that YouTube video incorporates footage from Klingon Academy, which could have been a great game but is so janky that its code is held together with toothpicks, chewing gum and the ligaments of the wretched and the damned.

ah thanks, that's what i figured from scrubbing through it. maybe someday i'll leave it on as white noise

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

worf is more of a fascist than odo

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Odo’s worse than a fascist; he’s a collaborator.

true

Seemlar posted:

Odo is a worse person but at least he didn't do domestic terrorism on Risa

also true, worf is also a prudish weeaboo

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

part of the thing that makes the founders compelling to me is that the other authoritarian/fascist regimes (i.e. the cardassians, klingons and romulans) are all like :stare: okay these guys are going a bit too far

they are ruthless. the federation has to resort to genocide, for fucks sake, to stop them and this is apparently a failure, even

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

I would assume it is a money thing, because they had talked about going 7 seasons.

i feel for the people that genuinely like discovery but it's honestly probably better that they didn't. they seriously seemed out of ideas

while i'm not averse to them trying new things or having star trek in a nontraditional format, i stopped watching discovery because the series taken as a whole is simply incoherent. it doesn't know what kind of show it wants to be, never did, and seems to exist simply because someone five seasons and four (maybe more, i haven't been keeping track) showrunners ago was given a commission for a new star trek series. that's not good, and the results are predictably not great either

it had a strong cast, good visuals, and interesting set design, but those are simply the trappings of a good star trek show, imo. you need good writers and a showrunner with a clear vision to make it work, and discovery didn't really ever have that

i said this in the nutrek thread and i stand by it: if this means more resources get allocated to SNW (or it simply can continue with whatever it already has), then that's good, imo. i don't think it's controversial to say it's the better effort, and given the choice i'd take more SNW over more disco any day

e: lol genuinely no idea how many showrunners disco had, whatever

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Mar 3, 2023

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Animal-Mother posted:

To be fair, what new sci-fi ground could a Star Trek show cover that wouldn't be overruled as "too weird or unacceptable to the wider audience" by the network people?

i feel like this is a trick question, they haven't tried anything genuinely new

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Angry Salami posted:

gently caress, is SNW going to be the only live action Trek show? Guess it's race to the bottom of stale nostalgia.

fun fact: historically, it was not uncommon for there to be only one star trek series at a time, and when they did overlap, it wasn't for very long