Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Last_Taste
Feb 13, 2012

schmeo posted:

my scrub account is SwankyCornholer if you want to add that as well.

As one of the lovely players who is likely being protected by the current matchmaking, I am curious how it would be to make a new character. In terms of actual time invested, how long did it take to get decent weapons to play with? Did you level your entire super tree, or just get it started? It might be fun playing with a limited build, no reload gloves or extra armor gear.

Anybody else going to lag it up in iron banner this week? I will be playing most nights so feel free to add me -cyansnow19

Fake Edit - PaulaDeensGunt may be my new favorite gamertag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last_Taste
Feb 13, 2012

I decided to create an alt last night. Used my spark of light, which gave me a good scout, but then I ended up getting a Suros JPS 55 with Red-dot ORS and counterbalance. It is a Grasp/oversoul archetype and it kills hilariously fast. I played one game in the crucible and had the second highest score and highest KD. It was weird how bad some people were. I didn't see any cat emblems, but a lot of 334 players who would do stupid things like crouching down when getting shot trying to capture a point and not even trying to return fire. I had 3 or 4 throwing knife kills because people would stand still and shoot or run straight at me. I am a middling level player, and I felt over powered as a 26 with 125 light. I miss my trip mines, triple jump and a heavy machine gun, but it was fun.

I just hope I am not killing some 8 year old kid playing on his brothers account.

My new GT is NewbMeatShield if anybody wants to play. I will be doing banner under my normal account most of this week.

Last_Taste fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jul 19, 2016

Last_Taste
Feb 13, 2012

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Honestly they need to rethink what "Hard Mode" means. Perma death as a mechanic is really loving stupid.

Thats why I never did KF on hard mode. VoG was fun and challenging and DB was fine except for glitches. Synchronized swimming where if one goes down you wipe? Combine that with the 16 orb strat? Nope.

It isn't that hard to have a different mechanic:
-60 second death penalty. Trigger a legions phase like the Templar. Lots of yellow bars for your team to clean up/chain supers until you can be revived. Hard, but potentially fun with a good team.
or
-Dead guardian is in a containment field which can only be destroyed by a fully changed super from another entering the field. Have to sacrifice your super to revive your team mate.
or
-Individual supers disabled at a boss, you still charge your super bar. If a team mate dies, boss is buffed, and a debuff is applied to the group. Individual guardians can use a superbar to break the debuff and get a specific buff (something like radiance, increased damage output and increased shields) to keep DPS levels to the boss around the same. Kind of like a torn between dimensions/aura of invincibility mechanic. Revived teammates remain torn and unable to damage the boss until they can recharge their super bar killing adds to re enter the fight. Teams have to call adds and plan who charges a super.

Any of that garbage would be better than sitting there watching until the team wipes because I got hung up on a tiny piece of geometry.

Last_Taste
Feb 13, 2012

victrix posted:

Bloom as in 'repeated shots are less accurate even if you are perfectly on target each time' is lame but whatever

Bloom as in 'My perfectly lined up shot on his head while I and my target are stationary misses' is loving awful and stupid and bad, and that exists in Destiny right now, on HCs and Scouts both (really any gun, but its most miserable on HCs, you aren't going to notice or care on an AR or pulse quite as much)

Damage falloff accomplishes the same goal of preventing a weapon from being too dangerous outside whatever range, and is far less infuriating than aiming your weapon spot-on while ADS at a target, pulling the trigger and missing

But in the video, the shooter is outside the range. Below are two screen caps from the video. I made the cross hairs stand out more in each photo. In the top one, any shot will land within the white circle. ADSing it wills till fall between the 2 green lines on the thorn sights. I added the white to show the circle.

The range they want you to play at is very close, but every bungie game since Halo CE used the circle sights to represent accuracy before bloom makes it get even larger. The dot covers most of the opponents head, and leave a lot of room to miss.

Edit - I suck at posting pictures.

Last_Taste fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 13, 2016

Last_Taste
Feb 13, 2012

moist turtleneck posted:

Like you don't even have to be friends with these people anymore, just send invites to people in your Destiny Clan. We played with Bone Krew members we didn't even know existed yesterday

I never played with the OG bone crew before last night. Twas a good time and way more chill than I thought. I only heard one sigh related to my invective shotgun warrioring ways. And hearing everybody talk led to some funny confusion.

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

found a video of cheesefactory trying to get in to a private match lobby but his bros dont want him to stunt on them

Please guys? I won't use The Last Word... much.

Last_Taste
Feb 13, 2012

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Sure thing. I'll be on this evening. gt uberingram

worst case we two man both of them.

I will be trying to pry my controller from my wifes wine soaked hands tonight, so if I am playing destiny feel free to add me: cyanshow19

If I am on netflix, I lost the battle. Please pour some out for a fallen krew member.

Last_Taste
Feb 13, 2012

Isn't that crucible Chaotic Neutral similar to a BTRD? High stability high impact heavy with range finder? I think that will me my second purchase.

Edit - Oh, low mag size. Still, not bad.

Last_Taste
Feb 13, 2012

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Lol how could anyone play this game solo?

First two matches, I'm dropped in on games in progress, 62-20 and 44-10. The first one I'm immediately arc bladed.

Third, I get a krew of teammates who rack up some impressive single digit scores on the way to us getting reamed.

Fourth, it starts us 4 on 6 with the other side having a dude I recognize as an outstanding player. I turn off the console.

How is Bungie so bad at this? In a game with a cascading super energy mechanic their stance on JiP and starting lobbies unbalanced is abominable.

I played solo last night due to having to do real life stuff between games, and the salt was real. I got put into a game at 70-12 and it was non stop supers.

I put up with it for a few hours to grind drops, but it was a painful experience. Several games our team was all 365 and lower matched against 2 teams of 3 with everybody 375 plus. It was very discouraging to see my hawksaw hit criticals at 22.

Last_Taste
Feb 13, 2012

I had the thorn quest drop on my Titan. Real talk: Is the new thorn worth the grind? I would gladly do it with my warlock, but doing it with my titan sounds like slamming my huge dick in my corvette door.

Last_Taste
Feb 13, 2012

Well, I guess its time to start hording my daily legendary engrams.

From Bungie:
On October 18th, corresponding with the release of Heroic Mode for Wrath of the Machine, your Maximum Light will be increased to 400. With this increase, many reward sources will also increase their maximum Light. Strike Hoards, Nightfall, Exotic Engrams, Trials of Osiris, Crucible, and Iron Banner will now provide rewards up to 400 Light. Archon’s Forge, the Heroic SIVA Strike playlist, and Legendary Engrams will now provide rewards up to 385 Light. Rare Engrams and the SIVA Strike Playlist will now provide rewards up to 365 Light. The recommended Light for these activities will remain the same with the exception of Nightfall, which will be increased to a recommended light of 380. For those striving to reach Heroic Wrath of the Machine or even attempt their first run at Normal Wrath of the Machine, players should find more paths and options available to them to reach the recommended Light.

I will be buying a bunch of arm engrams from xur and saving them until next week.

Last_Taste
Feb 13, 2012

To avoid boredom I am playing with all my PVP loadouts. I played as a sun breaker in supremacy this morning, and it was weird but fun to have a roaming super. What is the best sunbreaker exotic? I was using arma since I am used to having two lightning grenades, and the incendiary nades were pretty effective (I suck at sticking people with fusion). I know that immolation fists are a go to, but has anybody used dunemarchers? Matching it with the shoulder tackle super could be fun. Any other obvious choices I am missing?

I always run voidwalker on my warlock, but I am going to switch to a shock lock. Are impossible machines the go to since landfall was nerfed, or is ophidian the new hotness for pvp?

The only class I am going to have a hard time changing is my hunter. I love gunslinger, but the new tracking grenade gloves seem good, and I might finally try to run a blade dance. I just want my 1HK tripmines back... :smith:

Last_Taste
Feb 13, 2012

YYYYEEEEEESSSSS!!

You nailed the opening.

Last_Taste
Feb 13, 2012

CheeseFactory posted:

So yeah, I made a Montage: https://youtu.be/ZEU-7epnpHA

It's not super serious or anything, just a bit of fun. Hope you get a laugh out of it. Made it an an afternoon.

If you like it show it some love on the Bungie forums so I can try and get a movie of the week win: https://www.bungie.net/en/Forums/Post/217974305

Edit: looks like it's working fine now.

JFC that triple snipe on Memento is just gross, then you team wipe snipe on Asylum and triple down with The Last Word on Black shield.

I will never be a gud.

Last_Taste
Feb 13, 2012

Menstrual Show posted:

Primary meta is, in order from most to least popular

- Very low impact pulse (clever dragon, waltz or grasp of malok), ideally with High Caliber Rounds
- Mid impact hand cannon (eyasluna or palindrome) with rifles barrel
- No Land Beyond
- The Last Word

Special meta is, in order of popularity:

- Very high impact shotgun (matador) with rifled or reinforced barrel or one step down in impact if you don't have that (party crasher)
- High impact sniper (1k stare, LDR, Winged Word)
- Saladin's Vigil with rifled barrel
- Crow's Eye sidearm with a damage barrel, or Wormwood archetype otherwise (people have said conflicting things on HCR but it's easy to get one with it while you grind out a waltz)

Heavy meta is:

- Silvered Dread with field scout (this poo poo is far beyond broken)
- Truth
- G&H rocket launcher
- Zombie Apocalypse with a damage mod (props to ABGD for explanation here)
- Bonekrusher / Bane of the Taken with Rifled Barrel

For somebody starting back up right now, I would recommend doing the following:

- grind FWC rep, primarily for a waltz with either perfect balance or smallbore, HCR, and your choice of CB/RF/HH. Save good rolls on the sidearm, fusion, rocket launcher
- buy the vendor palindrome
- grind DO for the shotgun and sniper
- buy the vendor event horizon/get devils dawn from skeleton key chest
- grind archons forge for saladins vigil and the sniper

If you like hand cannons for PVP, buy the vendor palindrome (Crucible quarter master). It is a very good roll.

If you have dead orbit ranked up, you can buy a competitive shotgun. It isn't a god roll at all, but you won't be totally outclassed.

Use Truth or an older good roll machine gun until you can get a good one to drop.

If you are grinding light levels, the weekly strike bounties can have some good gear via RNG. Lots of the bone krew still run strikes, so getting the bounties done isn't too hard. Otherwise run some forge for a ghost/artifact.

Last_Taste
Feb 13, 2012

yamdankee posted:

^^^ So my precious The Ram and Lifesteal won't actually regen a shield, just health? And they didn't mean to do this? Wow! That's pretty terrible...

Guess its time to finally switch to shocklock. I like my blinking high armor ramlock. Surviving a shoulder charge, then quickly killing the titan was the best.

I never got ophidians (F U RNG), but it sounds like they got nerfed as well.

Last_Taste
Feb 13, 2012

If increased armor (over 10) reduces health, is there a reason to ever run high armor? Build to 10 using armor boosts, then give extra points to agility and recovery?

Am I missing something?

Last_Taste
Feb 13, 2012

pech posted:

Do any of you guys wanna play with a level 10 who got the game yesterday and is really bad? Everyone I see is level 40

System and GT?

Really you should play though the campaign to unlock all your class abilities and get some decent gear. Jumping into PVP with other players will suck because you won't be properly equipped and you won't know the maps. At this point even scrub pvp players know what works. PVE can be fun. Run missions and patrols, do public events for marks and buy good vendor gear when you hit 40. Once you can do strikes and dailies you will be rolling in marks and you can get better stuff.

Last_Taste fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Feb 22, 2017

Last_Taste
Feb 13, 2012

I'm a shameless merch monkey, but the collectors edition poo poo is ugly as sin. Ugly messenger bag, bunch of gold boxes and "art".

Still hyped, and will enjoy the beta.

Last_Taste
Feb 13, 2012

Banner is live this week? I see it in the app, but I swear I didn't hear anything about it.

Last_Taste
Feb 13, 2012

Maker Of Shoes posted:

This. I'll risk a repeat of this:

http://i.imgur.com/8AzD4l1.gifv

rip my face

The only thing that could make this better is if you would have nuked 2 oracles and got the challenge failed notification.

Last_Taste
Feb 13, 2012

BiohazrD posted:

looks like we found mechwarriors ebay account

:vince:

Last_Taste
Feb 13, 2012

Im old, so I run the last word at the end. Can't use hipfire though, terrible grouping.

Last_Taste
Feb 13, 2012

Mayhem will be fun just to run defender with arma. So many suppressed supers.

Last_Taste
Feb 13, 2012

I will probably run my litc lingering song for that reason. Its mayhem, primaries don't matter that much, so try for fun two shots. May have to use it with a WoL defender.

Extra fun to run with a nightstalker. Since the bubble invites supers to challenge it, having a tether on top of or infront of the bubble is a fun way to troll people into trying to super you.

Last_Taste fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 9, 2017

Last_Taste
Feb 13, 2012

He missed his (panic) slam in the door way, so I think the other team came out to gloat. RIP.

Last_Taste
Feb 13, 2012

CheeseFactory posted:

Been playing zone control for an hour and only managed to played 3 games.

The sbmm bs really needs to die in a fire

Create an alt account and bathe in the tears of your enemies. Run all blue gear and enjoy the challenge of not having TLW or t12 gear.

Last_Taste
Feb 13, 2012

BlindSite posted:

Datto was right when he said hardcore pvp players and hardcore pve players have the same legitimate gripes and theyre ignored because 80% of the player base are drooling dipshits who cry when they cant get a shader let alone lose a game of control via mercy.

They dont want to make higher end hard content because then some little flower will wilt too hard under the strain and complain with a
"Dear bungie Im a 98 year old man with cancer who cant go flawless but i played since alpha please give me a handout emblem".

As much as Halo 5 sucked, it was very nice to have social and ranked playlists. I know that Bungo doesn't want to split the player base and they have always stated that destiny PVP was supposed to be fun and not super serious MGP tryhard mode, but there seems to be a good population trying to do just that. At least show us rankings like in the Halo days, so we can see the rank 50 players, and can try to contain them in game with team fire.

Also, the lack of lag and responsive feel in halo 5 is a decent example of dedicated servers. Too bad the gun play and movement feel heavy and dated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last_Taste
Feb 13, 2012

I love the new supers:
Titan -Shield - Roaming shield/multi hit offensive super
Warlock -Sword - Ranged and panic super
Hunter - Staff - Remixed blade dancer

Bungo hates hunters.

• Locked thread