Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.
Great new initial post. And thank you for including my channel in the YouTube links. Here is a tiny ASCII heart to express my appreciation for your work:

<3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.

Elliotw2 posted:

The 3DS is the only portable to have region locking, actually.

The DSi preceded it. There were maybe five retail games that made use of DSi's much-hyped under-the-hood power boosts, but the majority of DS releases quietly made use of the region lock once it became available, even if they weren't designated as DSi-enhanced release. So you could play any pre-DSi DS game on any hardware, and you could play any post-DSi DS game on DS or DS Lite, but if you used a DSi you had to be mindful of regions.

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.
There were a lot more than that. Pretty much everything from SEGA, for one — Sands of Destruction and Sonic Collection come to mind. I picked up a Japan DSi at launch and ended up having to buy an American system in order to review American DS releases. It was a giant pain in my rear end (and bank account).

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.
In any case, I think we can both agree that region-locked handhelds are Dumb and Not Good.

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.
It's interesting that people are angry at Nintendo for doing the thing most other publishers take heat for failing to do: Recognize that old properties have value. There's definitely a lot wrong with copyright law in its current form, but I can't really fault a company for taking actions necessitated by the existing system. Yeah, they're being super douchey about it, and they deserve to take their lumps for it. Still, I'd rather see them treat their archives as something with potential value and worth protection than simply shrugging and moving along like the Irems and Konamis of the world.

Mace Bacon posted:

Talking about the Analog NTs, I thought they were buying all the yellowed Famicoms no one else wants to buy for their boards? I don't have a problem with that really. I've seen Famicom's that look like they were played by a person playing Dragon Quest in long sessions constantly chain smoking and then buried in the dirt for 20 years.

Yeah, the prevailing rumor seems to be that they got a sweet deal on a dumpster load of dyspeptic Famicoms, which were unsalable due to looking like this or even having actual physical damage to the cases. Japanese retailers are super particular about condition and will sell things at fire-sale prices for blemishes that would still constitute "NEAR MINT L@@K" for Americans on eBay, and super-grody Famicoms like these would definitely go straight into the dumpster at someplace like Super Potato. So it's hard to complain about them being given new life. Though, supposedly that's also why they're not making more NTs — they don't have a cheap source for more console guts.

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.
Don't forget the Super Mario Bros. 3 airship theme, which is basically "Mars, the Bringer of War."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jmk5frp6-3Q

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.

falz posted:

Cover art? They made it look like gameplay in Popeye and Q Bert were on par with Dragon's Lair.

Speaking of NES's pixel art though, are those pixel perfect versions of games or are they also cheating a bit?

They completely cheat. All (or most of) the NES black box pixel illustrations are a lot more detailed (more colors, higher resolution, etc.) than the in-game sprites. But they get the point across clearly and I would definitely not consider them misleading. Especially compared to, say, Breakout's incredible "astronaut paddleball" painting for Atari 2600.

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.

shyduck posted:

Anybody here have Rockman & Forte for Wonderswan? I'm contemplating buying it and probably will anyway, but I'm curious as to how it actually plays.

The definition of hot trash. Bad level designs, bad controls, bad enemy designs, bad weapons, annoying use of screen orientation switches. I don't care how much you like Mega Man, you will not like this game.

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.

Phantasium posted:

Speaking as someone who lucked into a GC component cable and tried it on his GBA games, it's really not worth it.

Yeah, even with the component cables, GBA games look pretty assy on the GB Player. You need TheRedEye's 240p hack to make it worthwhile. It was posted here a long time ago, so I'm sure someone has the link handy.

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.
I bought a Doujindance Duo-R based on strong recommendations from a bunch of people, and it worked exactly once before dying. Definitely my best investment in 2016.

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.

d0s posted:

not when you consider that as a medical unit it spent most of it's life displaying the inside of anuses

That wouldn't be TOO bad except that the splash guard is missing.

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.

Miles McCloud posted:

The "joey joe bags" is a GB/GBC/GBA cart reader/writer from BennVenn. It can dump roms and save files, as well as flash new roms to writable carts, including chinese pirates. It can also do weird things like stream live video from a Gameboy Camera but I haven't tested that yet.

Friend, where can I acquire one of these magnificent devices? I need this in ways I can't begin to explain.

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.

Thank you, you're a saint.

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.

al-azad posted:

Xenogears and Tool must've made for a lot of annoying 12 year old atheist weeaboos ordering $50 3 episode VHS subs of Evangelion from Yahoo Auctions.

ExCUSE me there were only TWO episodes per $50 Evangelion tape. [hearty sobs]

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Even at that level of collecting, you have choices at MGC. Also it's an unwritten rule that the prices on whatever are almost always negotiable other than super low or super high prices (hello $1500 Little Samson cart).

I had to laugh at that $1500 cart-only copy when there was a CIB Little Samson around the corner priced at $1400. Which is still insane, but not outright rapacious like that cart was.

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.

worthless. posted:

I'm also a member of the El Gato HD and Framemeister club. Works great

Yep, same here. I use the Elgato/Framemeister combo both for my produced video projects as well as for live streaming to Twitch/YouTube. It's a pretty painless setup and yields good results, once you recover from the agony of the initial sticker shock. My one frustration with using Elgato is that the software's color/brightness adjustment options are pretty limited, but most people probably won't be bothered by that.

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Retro_console_accessories is where I tend to get my cables. On occasion she has the cable up for sale. You could contact her and ask when she'll put up another batch.

I picked up my Toro box cable from them and would definitely recommend doing the same. They do great work at a reasonable price, and I find that if you ask about a specific type of cable, a batch of those cables will suddenly appear on their shop a few days later.

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.

Random Stranger posted:

I can't say I'm really surprised since it's the name everybody knows.

The Famicom throne is still there, right?

The Famicom throne was removed sometime after the 2011 earthquake, sadly.

The Akihabara Super Potato has been largely picked over, but there are other locations for the chain. The one in Ikebukuro is a lot smaller, but it was pretty well stocked when I visited it recently.

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.

Random Stranger posted:

I wonder if there's a particular reason that Virtual Bart is so expensive. Obviously being a western developed game on a dead platform in Japan meant that it sold very few copies but that's usually a couple of hundred dollars (see Battletoads sitting next to it on the shelf or the Spider-Man beat-'em-ups).

Yeah.. there are several Acclaim games from the late 16-bit era, almost all of which are licensed titles (across both Super Famicom and Mega Drive), that have inordinately expensive ($600-1500) Japanese releases. They've been this way for several years, and all I've been able to come up with is speculation along the lines of what you've posted: Low print runs on moribund consoles, franchise ties that lead to high desirability among completists, etc.

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.
My understanding is that the PS1 translation of FFV came from a script originally slated for the abortive PC adaptation of the game in the mid-to-late ’90s. That port obviously never happened, but supposedly they salvaged its localized script, and clearly didn't bother to do any polishing.

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.

fishmech posted:

That still pales in comparison to getting the full setup for Game Boy Faceball 2000.

You need 16 Game Boys or other systems that have a Game Link port and play GB cartridges, 15 Game Link cables, 7 Four Player Adapters, and of course 16 Faceball 2000 cartridges.

Last I heard, the biggest confirmed game ever gotten together was 10 players at once, but the game does support 16 which has been shown to work in emulator setups.

OK, I need to make this happen at the Retronauts PRGE meet-up this fall.

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.

Pastry of the Year posted:

Son of a bitch, that absolutely is it! Holy wow.

Are we really sure it's the same game? I don't see any carpet on the cabinet in the flyer.

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.

Mak0rz posted:

I also remember the dungeons in Legend of Mana being basically straight lines. Is that accurate?

Pretty much. Also, you can only attack on a horizontal line, so it essentially plays like an open-ended magic-fueled brawler. If you approach it from that direction (rather than from the "Secret of Mana sequel" direction) it works pretty well.

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.

Kid Fenris posted:

He's done a few other projects, like this adapter for plugging Famicom peripherals into an NES, but no Kickstarters yet.

https://m.imgur.com/a/DMf0T

This is incredible!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.

DoctorWhat posted:

The Switch uses USB-C for charging and connecting its Pro Controllers.

Yep. Being able to charge my Switch and MacBook with the same charging cable has slightly reduced my travel tech burden, which is a pleasant reversal of the usual trend.

• Locked thread