Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

korusan posted:

It's actually really cool going to a new region and having another 8 gyms to train new team members in.

Too bad the only game that had a chance to do this failed miserably by not giving you a single good source for exp. Gen 2 is a mess.

Also I don't remember BW ever needing Surf, but my memories might be wrong there. You do have one forced use of Cut after the first Gym, but afterwards I don't think you need any HMs. Then again, I might've forgotten Surf simply because I don't think I've ever gone a game without a core member of my team with Surf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I got a shiny Venonat in Crystal, and then failed to find any until Y, where I found a Smeargle in the Friend Safari then got a Druddigon from a (Masuda method) egg.

I then tried to breed for other shinies, failed even stacking the Shiny Charm and Masuda Method, got bored and stopped.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

cheetah7071 posted:

When I have children I will present them with a garchomp toy and a pikachu toy. Those that make the wrong choice will be dead to me

That's rather unfair when you aren't giving them any right choices.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Harlock posted:

I'm so ready to play Pokemon again I'm pretty close to deleting my X save and starting over.

I get you. I started a Black Nuzlocke two days ago just to do something Pokemon-wise, and that's the only gen I haven't Nuzlocked yet.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Zuzie posted:

Anyway, has anyone made a tally of all the old Pokémon that appeared in Sun and Moon trailers yet? They might be clues to who isn't getting Alolan forms.

While I haven't done this, the Japanese Sun/Moon site has pages for several Kanto Pokemon, and I think those are the ones that appeared in the trailers. As such, we can expect these Pokemon to not get Alola forms:
-Dragonite
-Zubat
-Gyarados
-Spearow
-Pinsir
-Lapras
-Arcanine
-Psyduck

All of these show their full evolution lines too, so I wouldn't expect Golbat, Crobat, Fearow or Golduck, either.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The Great Burrito posted:

I'm just pissed that when it came time to finally battle Tierno after all his dancing Pokemon talk there was no Spinda, Ludicolo or anything really that seemed to fit. Like I love Corphish and Hawlucha but COME ON

His choices are not quite as random as they look, all of them know a Dance move: Corphish/Crawdaunt and Talonflame know Swords Dance, Roserade knows Petal Dance and Hawlucha knows Feather Dance, and they know these in every single team he has.

He's still underwhelming and pointless, but it's a neat detail.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Rygar201 posted:

I didn't know there were good digimon games, help a goon out guys

Digital Card Battle, PS1. Cyber Sleuth, Vita.

That's it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Calaveron posted:

In this case it was actually the twin brothers who were dark and light elements because thematic reasoning (one was like light-element Garurumon and the other was dark-element I forget, I think a lion mon

Koji with Wolfmon/Garmmon/Beowolfmon/MagnaGarurumon and Koichi with Loweemon/KaiserLeomon. The former is one of the two that keeps importance, the latter loses his powers so the former can fight in better forms and is ultimately killed because, as you can read, his second form was a Leomon and that's a death sentence.

It's Takuya with Agnimon/Vritramon/Aldamon/KaiserGreymon that takes the other spotlight-stealing spot.

Internet Kraken posted:

Weren't all the kids in every series overshadowed by the designated protagonist being the one that does the most important poo poo?

One thing I do vaguely recall about the Digimon shows is that when they moved on to new seasons, time actually progressed and the old characters showed up as young adults. I thought that was neat cause I compared it directly with Pokemon where everyone seems to be frozen in time.

Not quite. Adventure actually gives a lot of importance to the entire team even as Taichi and Yamato hit one level higher than the rest (hell, it's Takeru that is critical in taking down the most powerful Dark Master, Taichi and Yamato lose). Tamers has all four protagonists hit Mega and, while Guilmon gets a super mode, it ends up being mostly unimportant and it's Ruki and Ryo that give the finishing blow to the D-Reaper, with Jenrya devolving it to a primal state; Savers also has all four protagonists hit Mega although Masaru and Touma ultimately hog the spotlight, and Tri is divided into movies which follow two Children each, thus evading that problem entirely.

Also the time moving is very much an Adventure thing, since no other series got a sequel. Taichi goes from 11, to 14, to 17; with the other characters following suit. Xros Wars also has a one-year timeskip, but we don't talk about that, ever.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Zore posted:

you don't feel like they just throw Luvdisc everywhere and call it a day like they usually do?

I hate so much that you can't permanently steal items with thief any more. Being forced to catch like a dozen Luvdisc is just :shepicide:

I have good news for you, then. You can steal permanently from wild Pokemon. At no point were you forced to catch all those Luvdisc.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Blue, Silver, Crystal, Ruby, Emerald, FireRed, Diamond, Platinum, HeartGold, Black, Black 2, Y, OmegaRuby.

Leaning towards Sun because I like Solgaleo because it reminds me of GaoGaiGar, but I'm still not completely defined simply because there isn't anything version-exclusive I particularly care about. If UBs were catchable then I'd definitely get Sun though, because Absorption is super cool.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Dexie posted:

Seeing that so many people like Torterra and have him so high on their lists makes me happy. :swoon:

I'll add to your happiness then.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Improbable Lobster posted:

My question is why were the first two legendary trios Ice/Fire/Electric?

Fire/Ice/Electric is the single most popular element trio in videogames in general, likely due to Dungeons and Dragons.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Internet Kraken posted:

Actual overdesigned Pokemon

I wouldn't say that's overdesigned. It's a horrible design, it looks terrible and whoever decided it should be included needs to get fired immediately if they haven't gotten fired yet, but it isn't because it's overdesigned, just because it's bad and it saddens me that something as great as Rhydon becomes that.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Countblanc posted:

It means Rhydon can use Eviolite, so consider it a buff to a mon you like

On the other hand, it means that if it ever gets a Mega, it goes to Rhyperior instead of a cooler Rhydon, and it almost definitely means we aren't getting Alolan variations of the Rhyhorn line since those are for Gen 1 only and now there's a pesky Gen 4 design at the end. And it isn't even good!

Also all the Electabuzz line is awesome. Wish I could say the same for Magmar.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

McDragon posted:

ha, the rugby ape does not respect trainers who can't throw pokeballs with good form

If Pokemon Go has taught me anything, it is that Poke Balls are really hard to throw well. I don't think I can use Passimian.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

sharrrk posted:

why don't the genies learn wish

People make wishes to them, they don't make wishes themselves, that'd be breaking the rules. You didn't see Genie in Aladdlin wish for his own freedom.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Zore posted:

Protagonists lose to idiot jobbers all the time, esp. if its their first encounter.

Raditz killed Goku and he was so weak they could grow tiny little aliens who were stronger. Also Yamcha beat Goku.

Raditz didn't kill Goku, Piccolo killed Goku, finally fulfilling his promise to his dead father, and then proceeded to kidnap Goku's son and become a better dad for him than Goku ever was.

Yamcha also didn't beat Goku, he had to run away the moment he saw a girl, and Goku was starving at the time. The moment Goku ate, Yamcha took his rightful place as someone who gets beaten up repeatedly.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Also worth pointing out, from Serebii's Twitter: we have Ice Stones now. I guess that ends the "how to evolve Alolan Vulpix" debate.

https://twitter.com/SerebiiNet/status/783301634009030656

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Improbable Lobster posted:

Monster fusion is the worst gimmick from the dumbest season of digimon.

I hated Frontier too but thankfully all that poo poo is in Re:BURST and not in the actual games.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

oddium posted:

you can get a munchlax with the z stone to do the funny move. that was a preorder thing right

No, that's just an event running very early in the game's life. It's the same as the Blazikenite Torchic for XY, in that and in likely being a preview of the next game in the series (the next remake, rather, for both cases).

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Since I live in a country Nintendo does not give a poo poo about, if anyone can get me a code, I'd be super thankful! I have a full livingdex (except for that one), so I can breed down anything that can be bred if that works for a trade, and I have a few spare legendaries because...I obsessively collect poo poo. It's me, I'm the guy who pays for Pokemon Bank.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Internet Kraken posted:

Would be nice if people explained what they meant with posts like this. Assuming you mean something other than the existence of Bruxish and Tsareena.

One of the datamined moves, Psychic Terrain, nullifies priority moves completely (also increases the power of Psychic moves).

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

oddium posted:

z moves can only be used once per battle. if you don't use it, you're wasting an item slot. if you do use it, you're down to three moves and have a good chance of hitting a protect or a follow me. they are going to be blocked by protect and protect is not going to be negated by any priority negating abilities. dattebayo

Why would you be down to three moves? It's not like Z-Moves overwrite one of your moves permanently. So long as you don't have one move only to serve for your Z-Move, you still have four, you only lost your item slot (which is big in and of itself).

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Zore posted:

Yeah, the move to 3D really killed a lot of the stylistic sprites of the old games (Xatu, Sigilyph come immediately to mind).

They weren't killed by the move to 3D, they were killed because of the incredibly stupid idea that was Sky Battles.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Injuryprone posted:

I wear cargo shorts

Are they comfy and easy to wear?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

About the Shiny Charm: I know you only need the Alolan dexes now instead of the full national Pokedex, but is it "seen everything" or "caught everything"? Also, do the Alolan Pokemon that aren't in the Pokedex (like the UBs and Type: Null) count towards that?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Ceramics posted:

Legit kinda bummed to hear you don't have to breed for IV's anymore. I know it sounds dumb but breeding was my favorite thing to do while watching netflix or listening to podcasts or whatever.

You do realize that you don't have to != you can't, right?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Neo_Crimson posted:

Did they not remove Missingno from the VC versions? You'd think that'd be one of the first things to do.

As far as I know, the VC versions are identical to the originals in every way except changing trading from using Link Cable to the 3DS' own wireless for obvious reasons. This means that MissingNo. is still in, although I seriously doubt Bank won't block all glitches.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

TFRazorsaw posted:

Oh no.

Oh nooooooooooooooooooooooo

Where did that come from? It's the second time I see it today. Is it fan art? I'm pretty sure it never appears in-game.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Alxprit posted:

They probably weren't removed because nobody liked them, but because the game can barely handle Double Battles as is; how would it work with six Pokemon out in the field? Exactly.

Yeah, I think so too. The 3DS can barely handle Sun and Moon as-is, forcing even more models on-screen would probably end badly.

Triple and Rotation Battles are the Ice Climbers of Pokemon.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The Bible posted:

I'm able to download a Bank update in Korea, can't connect to the server, though.

Same for USA accounts. The update can be downloaded, but trying to actually use it just gives an Error Code saying that the server is undergoing maintenance. Because Nintendo, I guess.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Someone tell me an easy way to get a Cosmog/Cosmoem, Type: Null/Silvally and Lunala for my livingdex please.

Because my current plan (Wonder Trade) is not working that well, unsurprisingly. I did get a lot of Pokemon in different languages though!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Cbear posted:

Is there a point to playing gold/silver, ruby/sapphire, or just skip them and play the newer versions? I want to play through the series again but looking for advice.

HeartGold/SoulSilver are a straight upgrade over GSC so there's no point in playing the older ones. Gen 3 is a bit harder to say, since ORAS are upgraded RS...but not Emerald. Emerald is still the better game there, but the mechanics will feel very outdated if you're accustomed to the current games, especially since it's pre-Gen 4.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I won't allow anyone to say bad things about my good friend Mega Beedrill.

Mega Pidgeot is poo poo though, feel free to insult that one. Mega Fearow or Mega Dodrio would've been so much better, or hell, why not Mega Staraptor? That could be genuinely useful.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

FishBulb posted:

But if you use old Pokémon on a new gen game you're my enemy.

I only use old Pokemon if they have something new and interesting (Azumarill and Blaziken in Y due to the Fairy-type and Mega Evolution respectively, Alola Forms in Sun) or if I'm doing a gimmick run (mono-Grass in OR, Nuzlockes in general). Otherwise I prefer to stick with new stuff, who knows, I could find a new favourite! Like Wishiwashi, Wishiwashi is super cool and good.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

AlternateNu posted:

Cynthia was the best League champ with Alder as a close second, both as characters and by chosen teams. (Volcarona is still my favorite bug type.) Steven probably would've been better if his games hadn't been poo poo, and Iris was a better swap out than Wallace. But they still don't compare. Everyone else was complete poo poo; yes, even Red.

I don't get saying Steven would be better if his games weren't poo poo after saying Cynthia is the best. That makes no sense.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Reinanigans posted:

Trading for literally anything you want is trivial in this game. There's no need to have everything on one cart besides placating a small subset of children who refuse to accept the core concept of a 20+ year old series.

The legendaries can be kind of hard. My livingdex is still incomplete entirely because I lack legendaries (Lunala, either Cosmog or Cosmoem, either Type: Null or Silvally). I hope Ultra Sun/Moon lets me fill those spots so my livingdex can be 100% complete.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

That seemed pretty clear from the trailer I thought.

I kinda hope the plot editions are mostly post-game stuff because I don't know if there's really anything in the main story that needs expanding. Maybe give Mina a real trial or something but I don't know what else.

I'm not sure how anything could be clear from the few seconds of "trailer" we got beyond Mimikyu having a new Z-Move and Nebby having new forms.

Also I hope the exact opposite. The game wastes the Ultra Beasts subplot with only Nihilego having a role and even there not a great one. While I loved the Looker postgame (as I often do), I really hope that they properly utilize what they have this time. Sun and Moon had a great storyline by Pokemon standards but it also had some very clear missed opportunities.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

vandalism posted:

I think a Pokemon game that was like xcom would loving own. Maneuver your Pokemon vs the other trainer's Pokemon and then battle. Could be sweet.

You can have it but only if it is a crossover with Rabbids.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Zore posted:

Also ORAS is terrible because it builds on the worst mainline games :colbert:.

But ORAS has no connection to DP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Momomo posted:

Also I didn't like that he convinced two of the kahunas to give up the role a god gave them to stand in a room waiting for people all day. Acerola was fine, but Olivia and Hala really should've been new characters, like Kahili.

They didn't though. They're still Kahunas, it's just that they have a second job now as Elite Four as well.

The Alolan traditions are still what they are, but with the addition of a Pokemon League. I don't think at any point Kukui wanted to just smash every tradition of Alola and turn the most original Pokemon region into the same poo poo we've played for 20 years. Guzma was the extreme one who hated the past, Kukui just wanted to properly move forward, add to what's already there. And while Guzma is my boy and the best, we aren't meant to sympathize with him on that.