Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Outrail posted:

I mean, by the 60km/hr logic you can shovel a bunch of cats out of a plane at 3000m and they'll have the same survivability as a cat that falls out of a 8 story window. Anyone have a Cessna we can borrow?
"My dad was a skydiver back in the sixties. There was a guy in his club that was a nut. He had the idea that he could test the axiom that “cats always land on their feet” from free fall altitude, where he would fall with them and observe their self-righting behavior. He had no interest in aiding their descent, just wanted to see how they behaved in free fall. In his plan, landing was the cats’ problem, not his. Scientific impartiality, or some such thing.

He took four stray cats up in a pillowcase for the jump. After exiting the plane, he turned the pillowcase inside out, releasing the cats. To his great surprise, all four cats attached themselves to his body immediately. With their claws. Given that cats have 18 claws each, he was punctured at least 72 times. More, probably, because he struggled vainly to remove the cats as he fell, but they were having none of it, and would reattach with even more conviction with every effort he made to pull them off.

Presently, he was out of altitude, and had to turn his attention to opening the chute. Let’s pause to do some math. A chute opening can generate as much as 3 Gs of force. The average cat weighs 8 lbs at 1 G. At three Gs, this becomes 24 lbs per cat. So when the chute opened, for a moment this guy had 72 razor sharp claws in his skin, each one being pulled down with a force of about one and a third pounds. That’s 96 pounds of cat. He was sliced to ribbons, basically.

All four cats hung on through the chute opening, although the skydiver’s shredded flesh allowed each one to slip several inches. Bleeding and in misery, the skydiver managed to make a safe, if rather rough, landing in a farm field.

As soon as he hit the earth, all four cats ran off across the field, leaving him to lie there bleeding from his hundred or so wounds. He was the only member of the skydiving club that was displeased with the results of his experiment."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Koramei posted:

That's depressing then.

Have any of you, by some chance, talked about cannibalism with modern Chinese people? E.g. what's the reaction to the tale (I think from Romance of the Three Kingdoms) where the guy chops up and cooks his wife so the visiting official won't go hungry and is lauded for it? P-Mack's posts about the indifference to cannibalism during the Taiping have been pretty alarming.

I don't know if "indifference" is the word. Stories and rumors about cannibalism spread widely precisely because they were horrifying and outside the norm. There does though seem to be more willingness to acknowledge that "yeah this is probably what's gonna happen when the food runs out." The cannibalism taboo is there, but it's not as much in a separate category than murder or theft or the hundred other bad things people do when they're desperate.

I wonder if how highly developed and intensively cultivated China was played a role. Less dense areas people can scrounge the wilderness for mushrooms or whatever before jumping straight to eating corpses. Purely idle speculation on my part.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Outrail posted:

So pump it full of nitrogen under positive pressure and send in the archaeologists with scuba tanks.

The quote you responded to just said it wasn't oxidation...

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Re: air purifiers- if you want the effectiveness of ozone without the risks, check out bipolar ionization.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Boiled Water posted:

Question: Why are the three kingdom period done again and again as movies? Is it rich in many narratives to portray or?

It's a pretty good book.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Haier posted:

"Why do Westerner only eat sandwich? These do not taste good. Chinese have rice and vegetables. Westerners only eat bread and sandwich. I tried to eat it before and it was bad. They don't know how to cook."

I was told that westerners can't cook and that southern barbecue isn't real cooking.

Then they served spaghetti that had been boiled for 25 minutes and wondered why Italians like this stuff.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Outrail posted:

Much how China appropriated Tibet...an cuisine?

The only Tibetan food I've tried seemed halfway between Chinese and Indian, which makes sense I guess.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I'm cool with TCM fleecing idiots in Canada, but it's sad as gently caress when they do it in Africa to people who desperately need real medicine but can't afford it.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Myriarch posted:

If Southern China had at any point in the lands numerous conflicts and civil wars gained sustained dominance over Northern China the entire eastern asia region would be so much better off.

hong xiuquan did nothing wrong

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

It's weird that Sun Yat San is pretty well liked by both the ROC and the PRC.

They both consider themselves the legitimate heirs of 1911. Sun also never actually got a chance to run the country post revolution and generate ill will with particular factions by doing so.

If we need to make everything about America, the Confederacy didn't see anything weird about continuing to venerate the founding fathers same as the Union did.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

McGavin posted:

FBR: No, you see it is really I who has done the owning.

the coin has two sides

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

So are we supposed to be teaching Chinese in our schools because it is the language with the most native speakers and a better time investment than Spanish, or are we supposed to accept that it is nigh impossible to learn even when living and working in China for years, on account of the baffling inscrutability of its four (four!) tones? Getting mixed messages.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Vesi posted:

Finland is full of airtight modern houses which has lead to massive problems with asthma and allergies as the weird plastics and lacquers used will release a constant flow of volatile organic compounds into the air. I think it's gotten better recently but if you have a house or workplace built in the 80s or 90s you can pretty much expect to get poisoned.

The thing to do there is to put in an Energy Recovery Ventilator, a relatively cheap unit that combines an intake fan, an exhaust fan, and an air to air heat exchanger, so you can bring in constant fresh air without wasting energy.

In the US southwest, evaporative or "swamp" coolers make a ton of sense and use a fraction of the energy of AC, while also raising humidity which helps with pollen allergies.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

"When the students poured into Tiananmen Square, the Chinese government almost blew it. Then they were vicious, they were horrible, but they put it down with strength. That shows you the power of strength. Our country is right now perceived as weak ... as being spit on by the rest of the world"

Our new president.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Hedenius posted:

Not sure what you think is so strange about this. People in the south are generally shorter than in the north.

Should be other way round due to increase in centrifugal force.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Didn't Mao promote basketball because he thought it taught good communist teamwork?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

The Great Autismo! posted:

I've recommended a lot of books about China in this thread and if you're looking for something super light that you could probably read in two nights I'd recommend Where the Mountain Meets the Moon by Grace Lin. Yes it is a kids book but it won the Newbury in 2010 so it's obviously pretty good. It seemlessly integrates Chinese folk tales, like Yue Lao and his background, with an original story. It will help you appreciate China and remind you how cool it was a long time ago

I really only mention this now because people were talking about how cool China would have been thousands of years ago, but also Grace Lin wrote a sequel to it that came out last month and I'm gearing up for about 20 hours of traveling and am going to try to crank it out on the plane

My daughter just read it recently, thanks for letting me know there's a sequel.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Well What Now posted:

the first B-29 raids on Japan were flown out from the vicinity of Chengdu in mid-1944

Mao was anxious to get US recognition and gave every assistance to Curtis LeMay, who later recalled that Mao offered to build as many airfields as LeMay wanted in Commie-held territory, but LeMay had to turn him down because they could barely keep the Chengdu bases supplied because everything had to be flown over the Himalayas from India

Yeah there was a huge slapfight between Chiang and Stilwell over whether the limited logistical throughput was going to go to support Air Force operations in China or to the front in Burma. They eventually got a road and pipeline built just in time for the war to end. Still, its existence suggests that even if the Japanese had somehow done much better in the Pacific their hold on China could still be insecure. (To say nothing of the USSR looming in the background. Japanese strategy was an incredible string of doubling down on a losing hand.)

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Koramei posted:

Manchuria wasn't just a series of puppets, there was an occupation force and sizeable Japanese immigration. You'd have to ask in the milhist thread for an answer from people that know more about it, but from my understanding the Japanese were already straining past their limits with what they held at the time the Americans intervened, let alone being able to take any more than that. If there hadn't been a war in the Pacific then the cost in life would obviously have been absolutely horrific, even more than it already was. But there was never gonna be a wholly Japanese China.

They were able to hit hard and take territory even late in the war in the Ichi Go offensive, but yeah they couldn't afford to hold it. You look at maps in textbooks of the territory they controlled and it's pretty impressive at first glance. But if you upped the resolution it would transform into a thin spiderweb of strategic cities and the roads between them with huge areas left ungarrisoned. The long term solution would be a puppet government under Wang Jingwei or some such, but the short term solution was "kill all, loot all, burn all" which kind of undermined the hearts and minds approach.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Here's another thing I don't get about China, or more about the rest of the world. How come everyone keeps conducting diplomacy and business deals with the chinese government and firms as if they were western institutions and getting shocked every time they're totally hosed over or china does the most petty short sighted poo poo? "Oh they'd never screw us over on this on this minor thing, we both want a long term relationship and it's in both our interests..." NOPE. They will happily gently caress them selves out of millions of dollars in long term business if they can gently caress you over for a few thousand today. And it's not just about the short term gain, it's like in the business world you lose face for not loving someone over the moment you see the smallest opening.

"Well this western company says they want a 10 year metal fabrication contract, that would keep my company in business and growing for a decade and make me rich, BUT they didn't send an engineer over the watch the work this month so I'd lose massive face if I didn't replace the structural steel they ordered with this scap iron we found out back, thus saving us a few thousand dollars. Surely they won't ever do business with us again, but I'd look weak and lose face for not jumping at this chance to screw over a valued client, oh well I have no choice..."

Step one: make 不殺金鵝 a chengyu.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

ded posted:

It's a huge instant jump. That is SKY IS FALLING kind of huge.

Yeah, if true I hope it's like some weird auto-trading flash crash and not a signal that some serious poo poo regarding the real economy is about to drop.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Jose posted:

i don't know why shes bothering anyway since his parents speak reasonable english and his grandparents know enough to drink with her which is all they care about

Yeah, the big flaw with learning Mandarin is that it's very rare for your lovely Mandarin to be better than your counterpart's lovely English, especially if you're not actually in China.

Not going to do any harm though, so whatever. She can drop a "乾杯!" next time they drink and everyone will act impressed.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

bamhand posted:

I'm Chinese and getting close a to a 400 pound rear end to grass squat. Is this why China has good weight lifters?

Serious answer it's because they identify thousands of kids with potential talent, train them hard from a young age, and get a handful of Olympians from the ones that don't break. In the US a kid with a genetic gift for weightlifting is more likely going to end up playing football instead.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Anyway my Chinese teacher decided to phone it in last class and instead of drilling vocab he shared a bunch of poems from the Tang dynasty. I thought they were pretty cool and I look forward to exploring more of China's rich cultural heritage.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Sheep-Goats posted:

You may have found the literal one in a billion Mainlanders who cares about his own actual high culture !!!!
unfortunately not, he's from Taiwan (第一)

nomadologique posted:

i read the chinese classic novels a few years back and they were awesome, china at least wasn't slouching on literature, man did those decadent bourgeois read a lot of poetry to each other

I have a really nice bilingual edition of Three Kingdoms, and am in the market for something similar for Water Margin. Anybody know if there's a particular translation or edition that is generally recommended?

P-Mack fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 13, 2016

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Dicky mouse posted:

So are 3 ways a thing in china?

you/your boss/prostitute

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Haier posted:

They have 30 million single, unmarried, extra men uselessly breathing in all that precious smog. I don't know of any war where 30 million dudes were wiped out, but that would finally level the male-female ratio for the country. It would save the government tons of money.

Paraguay would be the go to example of a war producing an insane demographic imbalance, if any one wants to do some hosed up reading.

The risk to the CCP isn't casualties, which would be relatively low since they'd likely lose the war at sea before it goes any further. But it would be an insanely humiliating failure that undermines the government's legitimacy, Falklands on a grand scale more or less. (armchairstrategist.jpg)

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

Oh man I forgot we have loving railguns now.

And loving lasers in testing. The USN ain't nothing to gently caress with, especially when you can avoid it by just building a new Trump branded ghost city in Gansu.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

Simulations had Hillary beating Trump. They likely assume the Chinese military as it exists on paper will perform like a modern military and their poo poo won't break down the second it operates under real world conditions.

I can totally see some Washington think tank "running simulations" to push Congress into selling another $1.8b of weapons to Taiwan.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

When it happened people loved the idea that someone thinking outside the box bloodied the arrogant nose of the US military, proving the plucky countries that think outside the box can defeat the evil decaying empire. But the dude flat out cheated and ruined the entire point of the training.

It really is like spending millions on a beach landing simulation and the opposing team just saying "actually the beach is lava you all died, I hid a million electric base board heaters under the sand using my secret army of trained moles and powered them with potato batteries. Oh you don't like the results? Heh poor losers can't stand your embarrassing loss." and then the media going nuts about how one weird trick defeated the entire US military and the guy who did it got in trouble for shaming them.

Also live action wargames are about training the crews (otherwise you could just use computers or dice or whatever), so refloating a sunk ship and continuing the exercise makes a lot more sense than having a thousand sailors sit around with thumbs in their asses for the next three days.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

whatever7 posted:

Are these "things" all Blizzard games or there are other lame "things"?

Short-track speed skating? Which is actually kind of cool to watch every four years but most countries stop caring about it as soon as the Olympics are over.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

caberham posted:

Heck I would be their fresh off the boat North America fixer buddy if they say east Asian governments should be more democratic and transparent, there should be a giant union like EU with freedom of travel anywhere

Like some kind of co-prosperity sphere?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

caberham posted:

I knew someone would say that. But without the killing and crazy militarism. An actual working one

So more like a Pacific Partnership, got it. (But seriously, it would be cool and good and I'm sad the world seems to be moving in the opposite direction)

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

oohhboy posted:

I had no idea the US bombed the poo poo out of China.

We were bombing the Japanese devils occupying China, via General Chennault and the Flying Tigers. Chiang kept asking us to do more of it but Stilwell wanted to prioritize operations in Burma instead.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Last I read Mexico is now the top of the obesity chart, though that might have been excluding some tiny places like Samoa.

It also comes down to whether you're establishing the cutoff at regular obese or morbidly obese, I think US is still number one on the truly incredibly fat fucks.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Conversation my azn waifu has had more than once...

"So where are you from?"

🙂"New York"

"Yeah, but where do you come from originally?"

😢"...New Jersey"

"But like, where does your family come from?"

Like seriously, if you want to know someone's ethnicity just ask. If you think it would be rude for whatever reason to ask directly, asking indirectly probably isn't much better.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Fojar38 posted:

most developed countries have plenty of loving but it results in fewer kids due to better access to healthcare and sexual education

i thought that japans problem was that there was just very little loving in general

They are further ahead on a trajectory a lot of other countries are following.

Singapore has an even lower fertility rate (and some cringy ad campaigns trying to raise it), but they also have plenty of foreigners and temporary workers to keep the economy chugging.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Modest Mao posted:

Is singapore cool to live in and how does it compare to Taipei

Dunno. I've never lived there, just gone to visit family. Probably going again in October. Pretty much everyone speaks English (or something close to it), so it's extremely westerner-friendly.

Food was really good and cheap, beer was bad and really expensive. Insanely hot and humid but that's okay because there is a clean, orderly, air conditioned mall like every block. Outside of malls and shopping, there's not a whole lot else going on. My wife's cousin drove us to see where all the whores hang out (Geylang Lorong 18) cause I guess that's a major tourist attraction. Everyone else excitedly asked if we had visited Singapore's world class Sentosa amusement complex, before admitting that they'd never been there themselves since it's really overpriced.

Everyone seemed to think this movie was pretty spot on as far as conveying what life is like there and criticizing the lovely materialistic aspects of the local culture.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Haier posted:

The producer's name is "Woffles Wu." I had to Google it, and found there are more people in Singapore named Woffles. Holy poo poo. That name is amazing.

the imdb trivia has some other good stuff-

To distract curious onlookers when shooting on in the city, director/producer Colin Goh and 1st assistant director Stephen Chin staged a mock fight.

As preparation for their roles as fiancées, Asher Su and Serene Chen conducted a fake SMS and e-mail romance for weeks before the shoot. To Serene's chagrin, Dick gave her the nickname "milky pig".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

You don't need to actually defend the indefensible if you can just never talk about it in the first place.

• Locked thread