Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

maskenfreiheit posted:

getting in on that double post action with some great content:
My (M/27) sister (29/F) is making my girlfriend I plan to propose to (28/F) feel unwelcome in our family because of old high school bullying.How to tell her to grow up?[new]

Sister is now using bully tactics and doesn't realize the irony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

ArbitraryC posted:

Except as adults we use a less cutesy word and send them to jail over assault. It's illegal to do that to a 30 year old, it's only okay if they're a minor.

Listen to this guy who got swirlies during high school.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

maskenfreiheit posted:

How do I (26F) ask FIL to stop kissing me on the lips?Non-Romantic

Ugh, gross. Set boundaries with this man.

fruit on the bottom posted:

Should I [26M] skip church on Christmas because my girlfriend [27F] doesn't want to go?

No, go because you want to go. Your GF is being a baby about this.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Anony Mouse posted:

Girlfriend [23F] won't have sex with me [24M] unless I win my wrestling matches

Spicy emotional manipulation there. Dump her rear end.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

A Fancy Hat posted:

Thanksgiving is coming up. This guy just needs to train like crazy until then. Show up in full WWE style gear and beat the poo poo out of this teenage girl. Problem solved!

Nothing says "Holidays!" like a Stone Cold Stunner!

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

La Brea Carpet posted:

My husband of 2 years (29M) wants to buy his mother (60's F) a boobjob for Christmas. I (30F) want a divorce.

Just gently caress your mom already husband. drat.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Scathach posted:

E: anyway we should probably get back to idiot relationships before mods murder us all. Someone post something my god.

From Legal Advice:

[OK] Neighbor threatening to sue after I didn’t give him free electricity, citing implied contract.

quote:

Tl;dr: Neighbor asks to use my electricity for workmen. I say no. Neighbor sees extension cord on my property and thinks I changed my mind, so he doesn’t turn on his own electricity. Now he says I have to pay for the workmen’s failed visit.

Oklahoma, two single family homes. I own my mine. Next door is a rent house, recently vacated. Before this I had met the owner once.

Monday evening the owner of the house next door came by saying the the power is out at his house and he’s got a bunch of workmen coming in the morning. He wanted to know if I’d let them run extension cords from my house to power the work they needed to do. I wasn’t thrilled about the idea of giving a bunch of complete strangers hired by a near stranger access to my house when I’m not there— my house has no exterior outlets, so at the very least I’d have to give them access to my attached garage— but I’m sympathetic. I asked why the power was out. He said he always turns off the power to vacant rental houses to save money. As this wasn’t an emergency so much as him wanting me to give him free electricity I politely declined. He seemed surprised but took it well and left.

I keep an extension cord sticking out from under my garage door for Christmas lights, electric yard tools, etc. It’s always there, but it’s not always plugged in. It happens to not be plugged in right now. Tuesday no workmen had arrived when I left for work, and they’d all left by the time I got home. Everything appeared normal.

Tuesday evening the guy shows back up, and this time he’s furious. Said I played a dirty trick on him, that the workmen all charged him for coming out even though they couldn’t do work with no power and that I owe him the $550 they charged him. According to him he came by Tuesday morning to turn the electricity on, but saw the extension cord poking out from under my garage door. He decided that I had changed my mind and set out the cord to communicate that, and therefore didn’t turn on his electricity. He claimed that my leaving the cord out constituted an implied contract that I would give him electricity, that my failure to provide him with the promised electricity is a tort and that I must put him right by paying the outcall fee the workmen charged him. I politely refused, citing my refusal the night before when he asked. He said that that was before I decided to play a “dirty trick” on him, that I owe him $550, and if I don’t pay he’ll see me in court. I told him I didn’t owe him anything, bade him good evening, and closed my door. He rang the doorbell a couple of times, but I ignored it and he left.

This is ludicrous, right? I know that the vast majority of times people threaten to sue they don’t go through with it, but if he does this will be fairly open and shut, won’t it? “Implied contract” sounds like a crock since my NAL brain thought intent to enter into a contract was a baseline requirement. If this goes to court can i just tell the judge I told the guy he couldn’t use my electricity? Or will I have to prove that I always keep the cord poking out from under the garage door? I checked the street view history on google maps, but the resolution is so low it actually looks like there isn’t a cord, and I don’t know how else to prove I didn’t set it out that night like he claims.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Three Olives posted:

tbh I've jerked off with friends.

But did you masturbate with a lady friend?

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

La Brea Carpet posted:

My girlfriend (24F) is convinced that I’m (24M) gay even though I’m straight. She’s being very pushy and weird.

Someone has been reading too much yaoi.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

I know what she‘s getting on their anniversary.

A break up?

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

datajugend posted:

for my wedding ring i want a lifetime supply of hot pockets

Couldn't you at least opt for god tier microwave snacks like Bagel Bites?

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Luckiest man in the world fucks own NOT-dignity.

Not allowed to go to a work Christmas party due to being a contract worker & they can't insure me apparently.

At least in USA many companies won't allow contractors to go to company events due to if you treat the contractors like FTEs, they must then be FTEs to make it short. Microsoft hosed that up a while back, seen here: https://www.reuters.com/article/businesspropicks-us-findlaw-dont-treat-c/dont-treat-contractors-like-employees-idUSTRE53063S20090401

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Pick posted:

That’s the kind of bad-science misogynistic poo poo I expect from comics, yes, the one most regressive media thus side of infowars

When was the last time you read a comic?

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Would It Be Selfish Or Rude For Me (15F) To Ask My Court (15-22F) To Pay For Their Own Dresses?

quote:

I'm turning 16 in a few months. I'm saving a lot of money for my dress and asking my parents about my venue and all the other details. I don't have a lot of money and I'm the "poor friend" as some have called me.

I turn 16 a few months after most of my friends and my cousins and sisters are already 16 or older. My other friends are both going to be 15 at the time of my sweet 16. I am going to have 11 girls in my court all together. I know I can't afford to buy 11 dresses, my own dresses, shoes, food, a venue, send out invitations, and pay for my hair/nails. I'm not expecting them to get an expensive dress like mine. I'm thinking of just asking them all to get a cheap dress from Charlotte Russe or Forever 21 that I'll pick out when it gets closer to the date. I don't care about the shoes or how they'll wear their hair/makeup but I really want them all to wear the same dress.

I'm not going to chose a dress that's more than $25 but I still don't want anyone mad at me for not paying for their own dress.

I haven't even thought about the guys in my court but I think that it'll be easier.

tl;dr: I can't afford dresses for all the girls in my court for my sweet 16. Can I ask them to pay for their own dresses?

First World Problems.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Transmogrifier posted:

Let me add some content:

My [29/M] gf [29f] said we should try an open relationship. She gets very upset when I mention other women.Relationships

Ya done hosed up lady. She can dish it out but not take it.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

It came from /r/Legaladvice. Guess the ages!

Ex boyfriend(23) threatening to leak my(14f) nudes again.

quote:

When I was 14 I was dating a 21 year old man online. We broke up and he made an account on a chatting website pretending to be me. He gave out my skype, kik and several of gaming accounts, he also linked people to a gallery featuring the pictures I sent him. I told my parents and they went to the police, they were able to remove my pictures from imgur, and after a day or so my ex just dissappeared and that was the last I've heard of him for two years. Today he messaged me saying if I don't send him more nude pictures he'll leak them again, and post them to every social media site. I don't know how he found me again. I don't think he knows my real name, and he doesn't know my adress or my families names. As of right now I don't know if he's posted my pictures again. What do I do? I have his name and address, but the police didn't really do anything last time. Please help me, I made a terrible mistake sending those pictures and it keeps coming back to haunt me . I'm from washington and he's from Connecticut.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

tater_salad posted:

Ex boyfriend (23) threatening to leak my (14f) nudes again.

:eyepop:

Beat you to it last page.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Palpek posted:

My girlfriend [21 F] told me [23 M] that she wants to be single for a month and a half to pursue other people whilst she travels

Hold up, let me put this through my translator...

beep beep boop beep boop beep

"I want to have sex with other people while I'm away for 6 weeks but still want someone to fall back onto just in case if it doesn't go well! You'll agree to this if you truly love me!"

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Featuring /r/legaladvice

A brothel I visited has underage girls

quote:

Once in a while I visit illegal brothels in NYC city. Usually you call them before, or text, set an appointment, go there, pay the fee, hook up with one with their girls, do the deed and then leave. There are different brothels i visit. Last week i went to new one “accidentally”. This was different from the rest, they ask you in the street whether you want to have fun time, you say ye or maybes then they bring you to the house. To cut it short, i was doing some job on that area when I stumbled in one of these guys who asked do you want to meet pretty girls. I figured what it is and said yeah.

So we went to the brothel, which is a regular three floor rented house. Went in, saw like 5 girls there, all late 20s, early 30s. Then the main guy for some reason strangely says to me we have some special girls if you’re interested. I said like what, then he opened the door to another room and I saw two girls there in the chairs. The girls looked scared and didnt want to be there. Clearly those were underage girls, like really underage, so young, probaly 13-14y, latin looking, i was shocked. Never happened smth like that, and I’ve been visiting brothel for a long time (10 years) but never saw any underage girls in that business. I said no. Wanted to leave completely, but since the guy was looking me strange I said I’ll go with the other girls, and picked on the other girls, 30 smth, left there. I’ve been very disturbed pas few days about what I saw, those girls were so young. Don’t know what to do. My question is this how can i hint/tip the police about what i saw? I don’t want to be involved at all. Either keep my mouth shut or I tip the cops. But the view disturbed me, and I’m not a person who gets easily disturbes. Thnx for info.

Ps. this is in Queens , NYC. I;m not a good person for going to brothels, i cant help myself. and wonder why the guy showed me underage girls.

Thankfully everyone in the thread tells him to report the place to the proper authorities.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Ah cool time to share my story, one time a bum asked me for a quarter and I gripped my hanzo steel in case I would have to strike him down, but the moment passed. I don't think he knows how lucky he was;

You should think about therapy for your trials and tribulations.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Admiral Ray posted:

i (27f) just found out my best freind (27f) drunkenly kissed my husband (27m) of 2 years at our super bowl party last night. View this as a Drunken mistske or do I go nuclear? Relationships (self.relationships)

Never forgive, never forget, OP. Destroy her life.

Drunken mistake by your friend and your husband did the right thing.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Palpek posted:

The boss is a total rear end in a top hat but also by jumping up and down for a check you estabilished yourself as the office omega that can be made fun of when the team is stressed :rip:.

Exactly.

There were other options such as:

1. "gently caress you, give me my check."
2. Punch him in the dick and then take the check.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Pick posted:

English food is gross, too

Someone hasn't had a proper English Sunday roast.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

From /r/legaladvice, here's something on a lighter note.

My ex husband wants dog support. Florida.

quote:

Divorced in Florida. We have two kids.He was ordered to pay child support. He bought a dog about 2 years ago while we were still married but just about to separate. He didn't ask for it in the initial divorce but recently sent me a (not from a lawyer) letter about opening a case for "petimony". I didn't want the dog. I didn't agree to the dog. He just brought the dog home and was like "look kids, a dog". He is currently unemployed and is "finding it hard to keep up with child support payment and caring for the needs of a pet".

I googled it and apparently it is a real thing but it looks like more for people who have established and long relationships with pets and not just when one person unilaterally decides to bring home a really big loving dog one day so the kids will forget that he often forgets to pick them up from school on time. Most people would just buy them an xbox or whatever but fine.

Could it a REAL thing in this case?

The dog lives with him. The kids don't really like the dog because they are small and it is very large. It makes one of them cry so it never comes to this house. The littlest one won't even stay the night over at his dad's because he dislikes the dog. The other one is kind of "meh" about the dog. He would have rather had an xbox. I have never supported the dog. I have never bought anything for the dog. His name is on the adoption papers from the pound. Not mine. I wouldn't let it in the house while he still lived there. After that it went to a friends for a while and just recently settled into his house again in the last 7 months.

As an aside, I've been struggle with the youngest one not wanting to go to his dad's because of that big, untrained dog. He genuinely seems frightened of the dog and hasn't been to his dad's in about 6 months. If I have to go to court over this, could I bring that up at all or that a completely separate issue?

(yes, I asked him to get rid of the dog. He won't. Says it is "an angel".)

Edit: I want to add that he did use joint funds from our joint bank account to buy initial things for the dog and to pay the adoption and vet fees. He didn't tell me about it until after.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Update to Pie-Man!

quote:

Happened again last night, remembered what you guys said, called the cops.

The kids who were throwing pies had apparently put a chemical (they weren't saying what it was, just 'liquid funsies') into the pies they had bought from a local costco, and I'm assuming that's what caused the rash. The driver of the car never owned or had a licence, and the oldest person in the car was 16.

Thanks to this sub for telling me what to do (even if it was obvious, which I have to admit I looked past) and thanks to /r/bestoflegaladvice for making me realize how much of a goddamn idiot I am for even considering shooting at them with an airsoft gun. Not even being sarcastic, I'm honestly laughing at myself right now because I'm realizing how much of an idiot I was.

California, BTW

Thanks again!

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

My BF [M/23] got mad that I [F/22] clogged the toilet at his apartment.

AKA: I powershit so hard that my BF went mental.

quote:

My boyfriend is subleasing a room, and currently shares a bathroom one other dude. He's subleasing "under the table", in that they didn't go through management (extra fees), but instead just agreed to a verbal contract.

I came home from class today, used his bathroom, and ended up clogging his toilet. Neither had a plunger, but I did back at my apartment and the entire way there, he gets louder and louder saying I didn't see the risk in me clogging it and wasn't thinking and didn't care the situation he'd be put in if he was kicked out. His reasoning was, "If (roommate) uses the toilet when we're getting the plunger, and it floods and ruins all his crap, he could get pissed and go to management and tell them I'm living here and I'd be poo poo out of luck with a place to live." He began yelling about it, and I pretty much told him the chances of all of that happening was so unlikely. His roomie is incredibly chill and is even okay with him smoking weed, so I doubt an overflowed toilet that spills onto the floor would lead him to have bf kicked out. I acknowledged it was a risk, but an incredibly small one at that, and said he was overreacting.

He got even more mad and just yelled and made it seem like I just ended his life and career and goals by clogging the toilet, even though we were on the way to get the plunger at that point (less than five minutes after it happened..)

I just don't know if I'm in the wrong. Obviously I shouldn't have clogged it, but it's not like I could do much about that. I really think he overreacted playing the "what if" game about a clogged toilet leading to him getting kicked out. Idk, am I in the wrong?

tl;dr: Clogged toilet at BF's under-the-table subleased apartment, he yelled at me saying it could flood if his roommate used it, he'd get mad, and the roomie could report him for living there and have him kicked out.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Jeza posted:

My [17F] brother [13M] has been doing martial arts for years. The kid he was sparing made a sexual comment about me. So my brother split the kids forehead open and my mother wants me to handle it

Talk poo poo, get hit. :smuggo:

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Vargatron posted:

Really hard to measure when you have the male equivalent of FUPA.

I think the male equivalent is also called FUPA. Fat Upper Penis Area.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

loquacius posted:

Exactly how ugly do you have to be to reach the point where a literal blind person should care

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

*thinly veiled post about what kinds of porn I like and how many people of color are generally present*

I prefer two to seventy-three green people in my porn.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

TX - I am a private investigator who was hired to find the biological parents of a person adoped in the 80s. Found out his bio dad is the same bio dad as his wife.

quote:

So this guy is not actually a client, just very good friend whoI have been helping over the years try to find his parents in my spare time.

This is important.

He is white, and his wife is black.

In my investigation I learned that the baby was put up for infant adoption by his bio parents. Over the years I was able to track down the information. I will not say how and everyone will probably understand why soon.

The medical records list the parents by first name only, but that gave me a starting point. It took a few years but I learned the name of his dad and it scared the hell out of me. I confirmed it a month ago, his dad is the same dad as his wife.

I quickly buried everything I had and have not told him or his wife yet. I then tried to find out how a marriage license was issued as I know they check adoption records to avoid this very thing, but quickly found out the answer. A county clerk got lazy when she saw the mixed race couple and did not do her due diligence. This was a cheap JP wedding with a license issued in just a few days back in the early 2000s. I can understand why this happened as most people would not believe a white man and a black woman are brother and sister. Well half b/s anyways.

I know that I probably have a obligation to tell them. I know the father as well and have been avoiding him recently. I am concerned about the legal ramifications in all of this. Obviously the marriage would be annulled, but what about their 2 kids? They have a 17 year old boy and a 14 year old girl.

This is going to ruin the lives of 5 people here, possibly more.

Moral obligations aside, do I have a legal requirement to report this? He was never a paid client so I have no contractual obligations to him.

Basically I am just wondering how and where to proceed, or even if to proceed.

:popeye:

Holy poo poo.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

A follow up to the "I'm a PI and your kids are loving and don't know that they are related." story.

TX - Update. I informed the father of his possible two kids who are married to each other. (self.legaladvice)

quote:

Met up with him after work and got right down to it. I informed him that his son in law had asked me to find his dad and that I have a very good idea of who it was.

He did not take the news well when I told him his son in law was probably his son. Lots of screaming. Lots of blaming me. Eventually lots of apologizing to me. I told him I would like to approach this differently as there is the chance he is not the father. I told him to get a dna test done and that I would inform his son in law that his supposed father refuses to meet without a DNA test being done first to prove it. He agreed this was a good idea. His thoughts were on his grandkids asking if it would be a good idea to have them tested for any genetic abnormalities. I told him to hold off until this can be done first.

I told his son in law the news this morning that his possible dad refuses to meet until he gets a DNA test proving parentage.

He agreed without any hesitation.

So now its a waiting game. The lab I use for this takes 2-3 weeks but is very thorough with their work. The dad is scheduled for a swab tomorrow morning and the son in law is scheduled the next day. I did this on purpose to avoid any chance happenings.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Clark Nova posted:

Vegan girlfriend should have been able to taste his carnivore diet in his cum and dumped him immediately instead of having to set up a sting operation :colbert:

:thunk:

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Courtesy of /r/legaladvice

This even comes with pictures!

My Ex tattooed my name on his arm AFTER I left him. Now he’s stalking me.

quote:

https://imgur.com/a/Ex5ir

I made a post about this on another sub (/r/cringe) about a year ago. I deleted the original post (within a week or so) because I didn’t want it to get back to him. I didn’t want to upset him. I’m reposting because there are a few things that I wanted to add.

A very brief background, I was 14 when I met my ex. He was 42 at the time. A felon. A predator. When I was a kid, I didn’t have close friends. I wasn’t close with my relatives. I was lonely and sad, but I was optimistic. I figured that if I learned a talent, people would want to be around me. So I took up magic. There was a magic shop not far from my house. My ex worked there. He was friendly and told me everything I felt I needed to hear at the time. Before long, he convinced me to have sex with him. He was verbally and physically abusive. He was manipulative. There was always a reason why I couldn’t leave him: “I’ll kill my dogs or... I’ll kill myself or... I’ll kill you”. I was in that relationship for 6 years. For 6 years I was stuck.

I eventually gained the courage to leave. It wasn’t easy. He still harasses me. Stalks me. For three years he’s been sending me packages, a constant stream of messages and invites… Recently… On Valentines Day, he left flowers on my Dad’s door step because he didn’t have another way to find me (I changed apartments. The address on my license is still my Dad’s, so when you type my name into Google, it’s the only address that pops up)... On my birthday, he left another package at my Dad’s door: a giant cake and two teddy bears.

He tattooed my name on his arm AFTER I left him. He attempted to kill his dogs by starving them to death; it was his attempt to guilt me because I ignored his messages. I believe he did kill one of his dogs because when I was flipping through my Facebook to compile the photos for his post, only one of them is in any of his photos.

I don’t know what to do anymore. I’ve tried ignoring him… For over a year, I’ve completely ignored him. He’s not letting up. He’s not moving on. I am becoming increasingly worried about my Dad’s safety. My Dad is aware of this guy, but I don’t know if there is anything that could be done to keep my ex from visiting his house.

TL;DR: Ex tattooed my name on his after I left him. Now he's stalking me. I'm worried about my Dad's safety. Location: Oklahoma

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Caganer posted:

I’ve been told I look like Shrek :smith:

I'm sorry about the world rolling you.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

An interesting multiple subreddit spanning set of posts:

Started in /r/relationships, the follow up is from /r/prorevenge

quote:

I guess r/relationships removed my post. Here's the original that started all this:

Where to begin on this.

I am currently in a very expensive art school, it's always been my dream to be a paid artist and I think I'm very good at taking peoples ideas and turning them into reality. My parent's have been awesome and they saved up so much money for me to go to school that I only have a small amount of student loans but any paid work I get is a huge, huge help.

My dad has two brothers, both are married. So lets say their wives are Aunt Kay and Aunt Jay. Last year Aunt Kay asked me to paint a picture of the view of the mountains from her dads gravesite. I did a very stylized acrylic that I thought turned out excellent, in fact it's one of my favorite things I've ever done. Aunt Kay actually broke into tears and I was so moved that I tried to refuse payment from her because her appreciation meant so much to me and she isn't wealthy by any means. But in the end she insisted on paying me and paid me far more than any of my artwork is worth, the money was so helpful this past year.

So Aunt Jay contacted me at the beginning of the year talking about how impressed she was with Aunt Kay's painting and asking me if I would be willing to work on some designs for her new real estate business. I 100% remember telling her that I was really busy this semester and that as much as I hated to, I would have to charge her for my time because it would cut into my free time. I also swear on everything I am positive that she said "don't worry about anything, I'll pay you" but it came out very nice. Well she wanted a lot of stuff done, logos, office painting, a design for a mural in her office, a design for those magnets that go on cars and some other small things.

Things got weird from the start, I did some initial sketches for her to see if we were going down the right path and she actually got sort of mad at me because I was wasting her time with non finished products. I told her that's kind of how I work because I don't want to waste expensive materials on ideas that she may not like. I actually have this in text and she said "my time is just as valuable as your materials, so please don't waste it." I was like ok, so I spent the next week doing a very elaborate oil painting from which her business logo would be taken. I even UPS shipped it to her. She hated it and got mad at me again for wasting her time. I tried to explain to her this is why I like to do sketches so there's no misunderstanding. She agreed this time and I finally came up with things she liked. I'd spent a lot of time on this project already, not so much that my grades were slipping but it was costing me time with my friends. So I did final versions of the oil painting for the office, did what I think is a really cool logo and a really nice mock up of the office mural. I was out quite a bit of money for the materials and shipping and it was very stupid of me to not follow up about the payment then.

Things got really weird when she accused me of dragging my feet on the car magnet design. I said that what she should do is take the logo to a local graphic design place and they could easily do it. I also told her I thought we had the materials to make them at my school but I personally didn't. She accused me of not working hard enough for her. I was really taken aback and just decided enough was enough and I would just stop doing things for her. This is where things get really ugly. She contacted me out of the blue and thanked me for the advice on the magnets. She said that now she was ready for me to fly out and paint her office mural. I said that was pretty much impossible as I had classes and any decent mural painter could take my mock up and make it happen. She said she wanted me to do it. So I talked with my teachers to see if I could take a week off, all were supportive, so I looked up tickets and told Aunt Jay what it would cost to fly me out. She said that she assumed I would pay for it since I'd get to see my family anyways. I said I was really sorry but I just can't afford it but maybe if she paid me for the work I'd already done for her, maybe I could see if my parents would split the cost of the ticket with me.

She literally exploded on me. I mean exploded. She accused me of showing favoritism to Aunt Kay because I'd tried to refuse payment for the gravesite painting, she accused me of dragging my feet and as quote as I can "I wanted this poo poo in January and it's almost loving April." I tried to break in and say that we agreed I'd be paid and she called me short sighted and said something like (not a quote) "do you realize how much doing work for someone like me can mean for someone like you? I'm giving you free advertising because hundreds of people will come in and out of my office every week!" She then said she had given me valuable experience that is worth more than any amount of money. I was shocked and I said, actually her work was pretty easy and I'd done tons of pieces like that when I was in high school. She then said I was insulting her intelligence and hung up on me.

That was yesterday afternoon and I'm still in shock. I haven't told my parents, I haven't told my uncle and I definitely haven't tried to call my aunt back. I'm worried that this is going to cause a big rift in my family and since she gets to see everyone on at least a weekly basis she'll get to tell her side of the story and I'll look like a greedy jerk that expects money from family. The art is a mute point because I can just stop and I can't afford a ticket with my own money so that will have to go to the wayside but I'm worried about the effect on my family.

What should I do here?

tl;dr: I agreed to do some art work for my aunt's business, I swear we agreed she'd pay me but she is so mad at me for asking for money and said I'm lucky she was giving me experience. What should I do?

edit: This totally blew up! I've been working all day and got to check in once in a while. Sorry I didn't get a chance to reply. I tried to call my parents and tell them but didn't get an answer but I'll keep trying. I did get to talk to one of my favorite teachers and she was pissed. She is best friends with our schools licensing/legal affairs advisor and set me up with an appointment in the morning to find out what recourse I have. Thank you so much for everyone and the advice. I would love to update but I have a feeling this might get removed or cross posted, but if it doesn't I will absolutely put an update when I'm able.

quote:

I originally posted my question on r/relationships on Monday so for the whole backstory please click on my profile but;

tl;dr: Aunt Jay (by marriage) asked me to do several pieces of art for her real estate business. I'm in school and am positive I told her that I would need to be paid. I'm also positive she agreed to pay me. My major mistake for not agreeing to terms up front but she still tried to take advantage of me. She was difficult, refused to accept drafts then hated the finished products. I was out tons of time and money and tried to wash my hands of her. Out of the blue she wanted me to fly out (on my own dime) to paint her office mural. I said I would have to get paid for previous work and she exploded on me and told me that "exposure from people like me is great for people like you" and "I'm giving you experience."

That was Monday, first thing Tuesday morning I had a meeting with my schools licensing/legal advisor and she helped me draft a letter stating since no legal transfer of ownership had taken place, Aunt Jay was to cease using any of my work immediately. We also wrote up and invoice for my time, materials and shipping up to that point (with a very friendly 15% family discount) and that if Aunt Jay were to work out a payment plan she could continue using the finished pieces. I emailed them to her.

I was very sincerely trying to handle this like an adult and not involve my parents or my uncle (dad's brother and Aunt Jays husband) but maybe 1.5 hours after I pressed send on the email my mom called me.

It basically went like this:

Mom: "Aunt Jay just called and completely chewed me out over what an ungrateful brat you are. What's going on?"

I explained the situation to her and apologized because I really was trying to handle it myself. She was apoplectic mad and revealed to me that Aunt Jay had been pulling this kind of bullshit ever since she married my uncle. Mom really wished I would have called when this first started and she would have advised to me avoid ever doing anything with her. I said I was sorry that I was in so deep but I felt like I was handling it ok. My Mom asked if it was ok if she got involved, I said that was ok.

Aunt Jay got her real estate license last fall and had been telling my uncle that she was a "lock" to be a franchisee (or whatever you call it in real estate) for a nation wide real estate company. I'll just say ProMax. My mom called a local ProMax office and asked who she should talk to because one of their agents had commissioned several thousands of dollars worth of professional promotional materials and was refusing to pay. She was put on the phone with whoever was the highest "ranking" agent in my home town who was incredibly confused because all the local offices were under his guidance and they had a promotional materials contract with a local graphic design company. My mom gave him Aunt Jay's name and holy poo poo...

Aunt Jay was using this multi million dollar real estate companies name and materials when she wasn't even part of the company! I mean this is a huge deal and she could literally be facing years of legal trouble and since real estate licensing is a fairly small world in our state, she is almost certainly going to lose her license if ProMax pursues her. I honestly don't know enough about real estate to know how or even if she was making this work or if she was just biding her time until the franchise did come trough... I have no idea...maybe her scam wouldn't have been figured out if she'd just paid me.

But it gets even deeper than this. Aunt Jay had just bought a huge new Cadillac Escalade over Christmas and since she said it was for work, she told my uncle that ProMax was helping her finance it. My dad called my uncle (his brother) to let him know what my mom had found out as a heads up. My uncle freaked out because obviously if she wasn't part of ProMax then she wasn't getting generous financing terms from ProMax on her new $80000 dollar car. My uncle ran his credit and it looks like Aunt Jay had taken out two credit cards in his name and maxed them out--he thinks for the down payment on this car.

So not only was Aunt Jay screwing me over, she was in a round about way stealing using the established name of a multimillion dollar company....but she committed identity theft against her own husband to! And now she's been exposed because she refused to pay me.

My uncle told my dad that he's known that last straw has been coming for a long time and this was a last log. He's contacting divorce attorneys immediately in hopes he doesn't get taken down in case ProMax decides to pursue real legal action against her. He's going to have the lawyer advise him on what to do about the identity theft.

Basically, Aunt Jay is screwed in every way imaginable. I've never been one to gloat and I always take pity on people who are having a hard time...I'm not this time.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

LethalGeek posted:

What sounds like a normal (if there is such a thing) 20something poly disaster in progress really takes a turn in part 2

My(22F) boyfriend (23F) is jealous of me having a girlfriend(23F)even though he also has one(23F)

That lady dodged a missile.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Ex-husband's new girlfriend is evil - and I'm losing my family

quote:

So. Back story.

My ex husband (45M) and I (43F) are divorced. We separated three years ago because we weren't in love, just platonic friends. (I.e. no sex either. For years.) No ill feelings. He was like a big brother to me.

I have supported him all through the 15year marriage and even since the separation - why wouldn't I? He's my friend... and the father of my children. I also I wanted to show our two teenage children that people can divorce without animosity and nastiness. It's not necessary.

Also. There's always one person sniping. Before you go there... This is NOT about jealousy. I've been seeing someone for almost two years now... someone I love (- who has mega issues but it is what it is. The heart is fickle, haha.) And for us until now that's meant our little family was unusual but a bit bigger. We've all been peacefully coexisting.

Fast forward to now. Ex husband has a girlfriend (30?F) he started dating before Christmas last year. I tried to welcome her to our imperfect but accepting little family. But she responded by threatening my ex husband. He was not to spend time with me or speak to me. Or else she'd leave him. She felt it's "inappropriate" for him to be friends with me and we'd get back together. (Wait, what? Haha). Christmas he wasn't allowed to come over to mine even though we've always done a big Friends Christmas... because she felt it was "too soon" for her to meet me.

Fair enough. But also... not nice. I'm from Africa - I moved to Europe when we got married because ex-husband couldn't find work in my country. So that leaves me alone here. Just me and the kids and him. And our friends.

Christmas is about family, and he and the children have been all I've had. Plus his family... who are lovely and a hop skip and a jump away in a different country.

Thing is... she decided he couldn't spend Christmas with us. It was too soon to meet me. Yet it wasn't too soon for her to spend time with all his friends and family over December/Christmas and New Year. Obviously i wouldnt fly over there to join them - that would be weird. It also wasnt too soon for him to spend Christmas with her family.

Anyway... That was the Too Soon excuse. Fast forward to 5 months later... And I'm still not welcome. Where there used to be respect and friendship from him, there's now... "erm. I cant talk right now. GF is on her way over".

I had my family visiting recently (from another country). They brought him gifts - we've retained friendships, so why wouldnt they? Anyway I invited ex-husband and his gf over for drinks. He declined and instead invited my family over for brunch - without me. Ok...

The GF who is usually clingy as gently caress, suddenly remembered she had a "thing" to attend, and packed her things and LEFT his house 15minutes before my family got to his place. He still didn't invite me. And when I went to pick them up later, didn't offer me a drink or a seat. Awkward as gently caress.

I'm just really angry and disappointed. My little family is broken. I cant believe I spent 17 years supporting him and helping him even after the divorce and he's so ready to just dump me and our kids. I gave up a whole life in my home country for him. And a promising career. I stood by him even when he wasn't particularly good to me. Because he was family and family means loyalty.

At least it did to me. And now my little family is broken - all because one very awful girl has decided this is how she wants things.

She wants him on her terms. Dear Lord, she can have him, that's not my issue. I don't want him. I just don't see why she had to break our little family to be with him. It wasn't necessary.

And I'm hurting because I'm alone here now. My family are all far away and the person I left them behind for has thrown me under the bus.

It's pretty awful. Not sure how to fix this or if there is even a way. I can't even walk away and give it all up and go back home - because of the children. Education, plus I would never take them away from their Dad.

This sucks.

Advice anyone?

TL;DR: ex-husband's new GF broke family. Now what?

:thunk: Hmmm.... let's read the thread.

Poster 1 posted:

She didn't break this family by herself. He could have said No to any of her demands.

OP posted:

I know. :(

Poster 2 posted:

He's not a puppet or a helpless child. Blaming her is just a way for you to avoid acknowledging what a jerk he actually is.

OP posted:

You're right. I've been blaming her for this. Because I couldn't believe he'd do this. We'd been through so much. He even fixed his domestic violence issues to avoid losing us... ive just been trying to believe there was good there, something salvageable in the notion of family. And he blamed her for all the nastiness when we discussed it. I just took what he said at face value and didn't think of his role in it.

OP posted:

That by the way is another reason I'm sad. I managed his temper for years, just to keep a decent status quo.

I looked after the kids as a buffer between them and him... until they were old enough to stand up for themselves.

I could have told the courts about the beatings, shown them the xrays.
I could have requested child support. I did none of those things, because I wanted to keep him decent. I was nice.

All I wanted was peace and quiet. I even used all my savings to pay for the divorce myself.

And now I have nothing. I'm so broken I can't even say it. But yeah.

Moving on.

There it is.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

From /r/legaladvice

Tricked into eating something I don’t eat at work. Is this illegal/a toxic work environment?

Spaced out to make it easier to read.

quote:

This is in Alabama. I’m really really upset over all of this so I’m sorry if it doesn’t make sense. This happened last week and it was only brought to my attention today what exactly I ate and I’m a mess. My coworkers all cook a lot and bring in food for everyone. They all know I have food restrictions because I usually don’t partake (which pisses most of them off because it’s “rude”). One girl brought in a pie and was very proud of herself, saying I could eat it.

So I did because I’m a trusting idiot. My stomach was a wreck that night and the next day but I’m pregnant and have a weird stomach anyways so I didn’t connect the dots. There’s been some other poo poo since and I’m on even stricter rules right now. One of my coworkers was commenting on it all today after seeing me eat my sad work dinner, and said outright that it isn’t the end of the world if I eat the stuff I’m not supposed to because “a lightning bolt won’t come from heaven and kill you”. I sort of gave her a look and she laughed and said it didn’t when I ate the pie and told me what was in it. I’m so so upset right now.

I genuinely don’t know what to do or say. They’ve ignored my wishes and been outright hostile before but never like this. I went home crying last week over something else and filed with HR over it but they didn’t take it seriously and this is just my breaking point. I’m not coming back after I have this baby but is there something I can do legally? TL;DR- Coworkers put something I don’t eat into food and lied about it to me, saying they specifically made it safe for me. Now they told me they did it to prove a point. Do I have legal recourse?

Rather standard stuff... but if you read the comments...

Poster 1 posted:

Wait, are you the person who was upset about the unwelcome work baby shower, because baby showers are not consistent with your Jewish faith?

OP posted:

How the gently caress do you know this. That happened last week and I went home crying and went to HR. Wtf

Poster 2 posted:

Please take this thread to an attorney immediately. You have what appears to be a real hostile workplace claim.

:thunk: Time to read that thread...

Threw an employee a baby shower now being threatened with “hostile work enviroment”. What do I do? (AL)

The now deleted, but recovered OP #2 (Different OP than first OP) reads...

quote:

So I’m in Alabama.

I’m an assistant manager for a call center floor. One of my associates is generally standoffish, and isn’t super social, but I figured this was because she is from a different background than the rest of us.

She is currently pregnant. She got even more cagey as it became obvious and got outright rude when people would ask her about it. We’ve thrown work baby showers for all the other girls, so we threw one for her.

She was furious. She is now threatening to go after us for a hostile work environment, claiming we acted in a way that was harassing because her religion/culture doesn’t do baby showers/they’re bad luck.

Does she have a leg to stand on or is she bluffing?

:popeye:

:siren: The rear end in a top hat from the current post made a post herself prior and didn't give all of the details (of course) and tried to make herself look like she was in the right! :siren:

Bonus:

OP posted:

I’ve asked them to intervene multiple times on the religious harassment. The only time they did was when I was reprimanded by my manager for wearing religious clothing (headscarf).

Kuros fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Caganer posted:

I'm not following how they're connected? :confused:

Also what did they put in a pie that she can't eat - pork lard in the crust? :confused:

Edit: wait are they 2 diff people? one saying all she did was throw a shower and the other saying they dropped off food she can't eat etc?

I added in some more clarification. OP #1 is an employee under OP #2. OP #2 is harassing OP #1 due to her faith. There was lard in the crust when OP #1 was told it was butter.