Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

hey guys i managed to gently caress up my wrist while the thread was gone. guess straight barbell curls caught up to me. it feels better already though, i guess in another week or two i'll just start back with dumbell hammer curls instead

my knee has been acting okay though at least

e: also rogue fitness bands smell like loving poo poo

You are younger than me, and 10 times more injured

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

how old are you? I'm 31 but I think I have said that in here before. mine is just a lot of naggling little things because I work so much(And a trash diet but I'm slowly improving). My knee is actually good enough I've been able to squat the past several weeks no problem, hoping it stays that way since I'm building my strength back up in my knees. My back wound up just being a pulled muscle confirmed by a dr visit. And the wrist thing immediately feels better already. I figure it'll be like this from now on although hopefully less frequent as I eat and hopefully sleep better.

e:Also my wrist is the only thing that actually originated from in the gym

46 in one week :corsair: Death approaches and I require gains.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Good Dog posted:

I have this and it works perfectly fine. I'm sure it'd hold up longer if I wasn't constantly dragging it in and out of position since I don't have the space to keep it set up all the time in my garage.

gently caress paying for a gym membership and having to commute to/from one. I don't have to deal with people giving me dirty looks for eating salami between sets.

Same here. Mine's in place on horse stall mats in the garage so I can work out while free-balling with no fucks given.

Tolkien minority posted:

take NAC poo poo really works for colds

I also smells like literal Hell - loving sulfur. I remember giving that in the ER to idiot 14 year old girls who tried to OD on tylenol. They got the option of drinking it down or I'd put a tube down their throat and pour it down that way.

a mysterious cloak fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 1, 2016

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

FedEx Mercury posted:

I lost 250 pounds because I DUMPED YOUR WIFE

:aaaaa:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

It's only sciatica if he strained his low back or glutes doing pull ups :crossarms:

Sounds like more a bottoming-in-the-sauna-gone-wrong thing.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

FedEx Mercury posted:

I've also been squeezing my glutes super hard lately and feeling pops. Is it normal for tailbone to pop?

Uhhhh maybe? If it doesn't hurt, don't worry. Tailbone is vestigial anyway.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Having trouble cutting weight? Soylent food bars have you covered.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Also pelvic floor PT

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

If I ate 4500 calories a day, that would be my body weight equivalent in pounds in about a month, poo poo. At age 46 I could probably bulk on 2200 :cry:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Zzulu posted:

at age 46 you should be more steroid than man

Doctor's appointment in one month and then we will see :drugnerd:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Khorne posted:

did I just watch someone pass out on a single rep of 205lbs, did he hit his head and have a seizure?

also jealous as gently caress that his upper back doesn't round even a little

The only time I got lightheaded deadlifting was the first time I pulled sumo.

He just had a vasovagal response. You pass out, twitch a little bit, then the blood comes back to your brain and it's all good.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

FedEx Mercury posted:

Where does the blunt force trauma of cracking your skull on the rack fit in?

If you don't vasovagal after every lift, you're clearly not pushing enough weight.

jonathan posted:

I forget exactly how to do it, but it's the breathing timing. If you do it just right (wrong) it's pretty much a for sure thing you're going to pass out.

Strain like you're taking a massive dump - that's the Valsalva maneuver. Same deal when you're lifting heavy - when you stop straining, your blood vessels can't adjust quickly enough to maintain normal blood pressure > BP drops > fall down, crack head open, twitch a little.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

jonathan posted:

So I've always inhaled enough that it felt right for posture and then began exhaling slowly as I was 75% through the lift, then with about half my air capacity I'd let the bar down. I've never felt light headed. Are you saying that people hold until the top of the lift then exhale strongly and that is causing the drop in BP ? I'm just trying to make sense as to if I am at risk with my breathing.

It's not necessarily the breathing, but the straaaaaaaaaaaining and sudden release of pressure. Basically you're pushing all the blood toward your head, and when you suddenly release the pressure, your body as to adjust by making your blood vessels contract a bit to keep your BP normal. Sometimes it just can't adjust quick enough, your BP drops, and then you faint.

Example:ever sit up in bed really fast and get super dizzy? Same kind of thing, except that's related to your posture instead of hard muscle contractions.

Breathing will help. It's those longer, more strenuous lifts that'll make you dizzy.

Make sense?

a mysterious cloak fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 20, 2016

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Parents gave me a hex bar for my birthday. Deadlifts are different but good and it rules for farmers walk.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I just left the gym. Am now enjoying the chocolate-milk-post-workout fad.

I had salami at lunch.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I am currently gyming, but almost done. 5/3/1 is really pumping up OHP.

Later: chocolate milk and steroids.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Had a rugby player come in to get his jacked up leg looked at. He was Australian and in impressive shape and I almost went beta for him.

Almost.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Am in gym. Doubled my last PR in squat volume at highest weight.

5/3/1 rules. Now boring but big sets, then FOOD

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

genderfluid and beautiful posted:

Chill out and stop reading things into his post.

Highest weight means he's fat

Yes. Give me a ham.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Bench bodyweight, strains a trap taking off shirt.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Dum Cumpster posted:

Old man tip: if you were lifting and then hurt yourself doing something ordinary it probably means you were lifting wrong. See my pic in the fatass thread for reference

Nah, mine was unrelated to lifting. My body craves death before it turns 50 in a few years, but I will bend it to my will before that :black101:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Dum Cumpster posted:

I forgot to mention, due to my age, that it can also be due to chronic stupid poo poo like sitting in front of a computer all day.

:respek:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I took a Dump for Trump

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I fixed my posture by stretching my shoulders a pecs and being mindful of posture throughout the day. poo poo fixes itself if you just think about it instead of going fetal because you got stomped playing League of Legends.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Doesn't everybody finish their bag work this way? How else would the gym know you're done?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

if you're not aware Vegain Gains is the name of a youtube channel. go watch it if you ever feel like you need to be mad

jfc you weren't kidding

Do it, DO IT

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Metanaut posted:

Started 531 today (bench), boring but big style. I've been scared off by the volume in the past, but turns out it's not that bad. Did some inverted rows, close grip push ups and body drag curls on top. Feelin' good.

Wait until week three.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Get to church, guys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg_nAAQWkb4

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I just finished sledgehammering a wedge/chainsawing huge rear end oak tree roots out of the ground.

Too much like crossfit or legit strong dad activity?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Annual old man check up this morning. Getting test levels checked.

:getin: if my levels are low enough

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Have they started worshiping you as the reincarnated Adonis? Or are they trying to kill you because your body proportions are all out of whack compared to their own like an alien, or maybe a communist?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

My neurons are firing at about 45% due to lack of coffee and salami.

Also I did cardio the last two nights because my old body feels soft. Goodbye gains

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Goddammit why are my testosterone levels totally normal, I'm old and need more to catch the swoles :bang:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Defiant Sally posted:

Because the "normal" reference range includes 99 year old men. Ask not what is normal, but what is optimal. Just jab a needle in yourself already.

I know that, I'm nurse. My values are dead in the middle of the reference range. I just need to figure out how to lure a gymbro into my garage gym...

FedEx Mercury posted:

Don't bother, you can't buy time.

I know that, but I can buy my way to huge and die of cardiomegaly or atherosclerosis!

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Put more plates on the bar

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

FedEx Mercury posted:

Ok, what if I can't stand up?

Take a little bit off.

And steroids.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

So I need to stuff a pillow under my shirt to be a powerlifter... It all makes sense now!

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Tiny Lowtax posted:

I'm bulking!

*weighs 160lbs*

*is Tiny Lowtax

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Khorne posted:

I read a poo poo ton of actual research, case studies, etc, and I also got this stuff approved by 2 cardiologists and my thoracic surgeon. It was a big decision. And the first week or two sucked because my heart rate would borderline max at times. If that didn't improve I would have quit lifting really quick. Since then, it has been all good pretty much.

I was a cardiology nurse for a long time and when I read "artificial valve" and "stenosis" and your heart rate, I went :aaaaa: Glad to hear your docs gave you the go ahead and you're going for it, though. For christ's sake don't get your heart rate so high though, fool! I've seen tons of patients who just go full-sedentary-mode when they have a valve replacement/stents/what have you and those are the ones that do crappy post-op, so you're definitely staying ahead of the curve!

Also, all OHP last night with some lateral and rear delt stuff. Hurts so good. Still unable to lure 'roid bros into the garage despite leaving a subtle trail of creatine and PWO. May need to start working out in nothing but leather chaps.

a mysterious cloak fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I'm totally going to do that one-legged wad thing just as soon as I lose all sense of judgement and reason to live.