Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

:parrot:
My state went for Trump. Outside the normal strongholds: Madison, Milwaukee, and Janesville, It was overwhelmingly red. I don't feel at home here anymore. I don't live in the big cities, so I now know I'm basically living with big pockets of people who are diametrically opposed to me in political views at the very least. I don't feel I have a future here anymore. And really, my sentiment extends to the country as a whole at this moment. gently caress this country, how the gently caress did we let this happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

Listen, the Donald was who we thought he was. He's what we thought he was.

We went through the campaign; who the hell has a pussy grabbin' tape just layin' around like it's bullpoo poo?

We dealt with the emails and he's a serial sexual predator - Donald Trump is who we THOUGHT he was!

An' that's why we had the drat election!

Now- *hits podium* - if you wanna CROWN his rear end, CROWN EM'!

But HE IS WHO WE THOUGHT HE WAS!

An' we let 'em off the hook!

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

disjoe posted:

We're going to learn a lot about who is with us and who is against us in the coming years.

We're Darth Vader now aren't we?

Edit: VVV In this brave, new world, only the, "7's and up, and that's a hard 7" will have a shoulder to cry on. VVV

Acid Haze fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Nov 11, 2016

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

BadOptics posted:

After four years of having to sleep in the White House and do actual work Trump is gonna want to quit anyways. He's already got the title of President, you don't get any other honorifics by winning a second term.

Ha. How long have you been following politics? You should know by know that the campaign for term 2 began 4 days ago.

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

BadOptics posted:

If Donald Trump was literally any other politician I would agree, but as we've seen from the past year and a half Trump is in no way, shape, or form your "usual" politician. I could see him running again, but he's also a big baby who changes his mind at the slightest of things. I don't think anyone can guess at the calculus that will be in his mind four years from now when he has to compare the work of the office (which he hates already) to the $$$ he can make going back to Trump Tower.

He is now 'not a "usual"' president. He can and does have teams of staffers working on his re election campaign *(edit: Actually lets say by mid 2017) which he no longer has to run personally or pay for. You seem to be grasping at all these things that say he can't handle it, or some other spectacular personal failure that will.. make him not want to continue being president? He has achieved the epitome of his being, here. I would say the likelihood of anything else is incredibly low given that he will now have a personal physician, nutritionist, ect. Perhaps a psyc? That would be special.

E:*

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Guys what's the democrat equivalent of the shrieking sphere of pure white rage

Smoooth voice of social change coming from the bottom of an empty well.

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

Condiv posted:

how do i tell people trump is corrupt without revealing my radical leftist agenda? please help

There is no way. If anyone paid attention there was everything you needed to know you just had to see it for what it was. It's like people put a lock on their brains and threw away the key, closing the door to any doubt of supreme leader. Over 60 million people knew he was a liar, knew he was a misogynist, and were very happy in how open he was about racism and hate of the "other." There is no way.

The best thing that could happen now is that Democrats fight every single piece of legislation coming from the Republicans. There must be 100% uniform opposition from the Democratic side, because there is absolutely no loving reason to believe the Republicans will change, and that when the Dems control the Executive branch again that Repubs won't blockade anything that comes from him/her. We have to do to Trump what they did to Obama. Non stop opposition with no regard for what is being passed. The gridlock must go on, except now the uniform opposition must come from the other side.

And if this stuff about internment camps becomes a reality, it's over. It's literally war against a fascist takeover at that point.

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

Why don't you guys just post arguments in good faith and stop giving a poo poo if someone trashes you for it?

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

Business Gorillas posted:

I'm not thrilled about this but Trump actually implementing a set of massive infrastructure projects that aren't just slush funds for his friends are about as likely as him saying he was a secret democrat all along

Oh yeah, wonderful. And how are we going to pay for that with promised massive tax cuts on the way? You know how.

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

NewForumSoftware posted:

So basically progressives should fight against any and all actions taken by Trump because he's Trump? I don't know, I guess that "worked" for the GOP during Obama's presidency but it certainly didn't make the country a better place.

It doesn't matter anymore. The only option is gridlock, because we must never ever collaborate with a faction which threatens the republic itself. Any Democratic collaborators must be jettisoned from the party as quickly as possible.

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

NewForumSoftware posted:

It's just really weird to hear these arguments coming from liberals who convinced me that Obama's pretty bad, but we should celebrate what we can get.

I don't see how it's weird? A corporatist diplomat vs Authoritarianism? Yeah, I know which one I'm going to pick. This is America and when we vote for president we get 2 options, typically neither one great, but that is what we get. I would love to have more parties and electoral reform, etc but that's way up there in the sky and we're down here in a ditch with, Donald Trump, President of the United States, because millions of people who voted for Obama said "gently caress it" and stayed home on the 8th.

The things we hoped to fight for have just been put far out of reach, and the focus now has to shift. There is no choice.

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

NewForumSoftware posted:

It seems the general consensus is that anything good accomplished by Trump would not be worth whatever the cost because it would "legitimize" him

note, I don't know what that means

I'll put it as simply as possible. Republicans obstructed our government and literally took away *the power of* the president of the United States to appoint supreme court justices for 8 years. Before that 8 years a Republican drove us into a massive recession.

Why the gently caress should any democrat consider compromise with them?

E: *

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

Niton posted:

Because a broken clock is still right twice a day, and throwing away the moral high ground over an absolute uncertainty is foolish?

It costs nothing to say you'll show up if they show up, especially if you don't believe they'll show up. If they do, and things get done? Everyone's better off.

Tell me what the moral high ground has done for Democrats. We are fighting a massive counter-factual machine that now has executive authority.

Christ, does the uncertainty of Trump being the supreme commander of the armed forces of the US ring a few alarm bells here?

If any of you think Trump is going to come around and turn out to be this perfect centrist democrat, you're loving fools. Look at the appointments already. Listen to what they're saying. This isn't a loving joke anymore it's reality.

Acid Haze fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 17, 2016

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

MaxxBot posted:

It must be depressing to be a Wisconsin Democrat, especially one that actually put time and effort into the party there. Has a political party ever failed so completely and totally in such a short period of time as the Wisconsin Dems from 2010 to now?

Yeah. It is.

But there have been moments. When the WI Senate democrats left the state to prevent a quorum and bought time for media attention to get drawn to Act 10 and the protestors. We fought a lot of the laws that many states have rolled over and taken in the courts, like voter ID. We created a petition and forced a recall election against Walker who is a complete shithead I don't want to even start on. But overwhelmingly Republican legislation has dominated because they controll all 3 branches of government and I no longer have any degree of certainty about how soon that might change.

So like I said we have tried, but, you know, there is no try.

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

Crowsbeak posted:

You still ran the same poo poo head who slto against him though. These peopple must be told that from now on if they want to be part of the party we lead and they get to be at the back.

Ok, yes. That, right there, was a huge, huge failure. It was really embarrassing in addition.

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

Lightning Knight posted:

Who the hell was gonna run instead though? Like completely honest what high profile Democrat politicians had a chance in hell of winning in 2010? Or in 2018, for that matter.

I guess Russ could run for governor now. :smith:

No, Russ won't run. It wouldn't make sense and it would be the exact same problem. So, WI Democratic Party, you have so few candidates that you're going to run the guy who lost to Ron Johnson again in 2 years against Scott Walker? I am also fond of Russ but if he wanted to run for Governor he should not have run for Senate. As far as candidates for governor, I don't know. poo poo, people should just start volunteering to run in the Democratic slot I'm sure they'll find someone more appealing than Tom Barret.

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Is there any outrage over this at all? Are people angry, or is it just me? Is the populace just as pissed off about this, or are they ignorant? Are we truly alone in this?

Over President of the United States, Donald Trump? Of course, but he's not going away. The pissed off, angry repudiation of Trump needed to happen at the polls but it didn't. Everything that that makes him what he is, what we've all witnessed, has to an extent already become normalized in our society, and it will more so as time goes on. That fight is already lost.

The focus has to shift to basically using the exact same tactics the Republicans used forcefully after 2008: Gridlock as much as possible and focus on making Trump a 1 term president.

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

Rabble posted:

They'll probably run Hillary's email server in 2020.

"I am but computer. I have 00 appendages. I only serve :( wo-man because of duty to serve man. I have downloaded the works of Issac Asimov and :) them. I fully calculate the 3 laws of robotics."

"My opponent's voters are a in a hard drive of undesirable fractions and hexi-decimal values."

Acid Haze fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 18, 2016

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

Probably none because even a troll has to have an objective and 10 bucks which requires a little bit of forward thought. Talking about that stuff on twitter has to be from someone who is incredibly stupid, not that there isn't any stupidity here.

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

cravius posted:

This is the kind of cutting edge discourse I come to DnD for.

If you want my opinion, yes there is racism in the military. And yeah, some of the vets I know are racists and openly use racist terms sometimes. But war has a way of loving you up, really bad. So I'm willing to forgive on some aspects.

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

My Imaginary GF posted:

I called MI and WI going R months ago, and folk shouted me down as an idiot.

When the gently caress is the last time any of y'all ever lived in a town of less than a thousand folk? There is a real hurt in rural America, and Republicans cannot solve it. The only way to solve it is by uniting the farmers and laborers of America against St. Paul Democrats. If it was the Democratic party uniting them, hell, Trump wouldn't be the PEOTUS.

I wouldn't have. I know it means nothing... but I was emailing, and for the gently caress of it sending twitter messages, to the Clinton campaign saying she needed to come back to Wisconsin before the end of the race. Chelsea Clinton ended up coming to a couple Democratic strongholds right before the end. Not really the effort you would expect in a potential "block" state as it had been predicted. Yet WI was a light blue state in just about every assessment.

And I grew up in a small city of ~3000 people.

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

paranoid randroid posted:

*slams knife point-first into table* AMERICA NEEDS HATE TA GET AMPED FOR BUILDIN A NEW BIG DAM

I HATE THE NATURAL ECOSYSTEM!

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

My Imaginary GF posted:

Clinton was an out of touch liberal elitist who was too afraid to be anything other than logical, at a time when America is in a very fragile emotional state.

After 6 years of a Republican Congress and a black President, America is like a girl on the verge of seventeen: Ready for a white man to call out her bullshit.

I don't think America was in a fragile emotional state. Quite the contrary there seemed to be a huge amount of desensitisation from the constant hate and anger that came out of Trump's run. A lot of people just kind of didn't want to believe it was happening, on both sides. Trump's own campaign office had a voter suppression division based on bombarding potential democrats over social media with constant, visceral, controversial and and sometimes fabricated campaign "news".

And... I don't know if I really agree with your analogy there.

Acid Haze fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Nov 19, 2016

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

My Imaginary GF posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EB6Gecy6IP8

Gotta see the film, its pretty great. America is an immature teenage girl who is seeking attention and reaffirmation of her insecurities. Trump understood this and hosed that teenage America.

poo poo, dude. After having only white men as president since the foundation of America, and then for 8 years having a man, only his skin color was different. And that was SO BAD America is now just an innocent little girl waiting for the heroic white dude #49 to come in and call her a oval office.

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

My Imaginary GF posted:

One minor correction:

After having only white men as president since the foundation of America, and then for 8 years having a man, only his skin color was different. And that was SO BAD America is now just an innocent little girl waiting for the heroic white dude #49 to come in and grab her by the pussy.

I have been bested.

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

Hollismason posted:

I don't understand why it is scary?

The future Supreme Commander of the US Armed forces is meeting, in his house, with his brand new Director of National Intelligence, who superseded the chain of command to attend the meeting since he would have been told "gently caress NO."

But doncha know he's practically sworn in already, and the Trump house can replace both the Pentagon AND the White House! We'll just call it the Pentahouse, or Penthouse for short.

Unprecedented breaks with US checks and balances already happening 11 days out from election! This is fine.

Acid Haze fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 19, 2016

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

the black husserl posted:

The core is right there in the quoted text - and if you'll click through and read the article, you'll understand why it's so chilling (the Pentagon wants this guy to be fired). But short version: chain of command is one of the absolute core principals of America's armed forces. It is beyond shocking for an officer to meet with the President without notifying his superiors. This is medieval court intrigue type of poo poo, it's just not done at all.

It means this guy is more loyal to the Trump organization than to the United State of America. Which is a significantly terrifying change in the culture of our rulers. You not understanding why its scary is sadly all too common cause this is gonna happen with no resistance :(

Not to mention it seems like a very uncoded, "I don't answer to you anymore."

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

So if I understand this correctly, the military's traditions and core values are violated by this act and the established system is being flaunted in favor of appealing to a new leader while the establishment is horrified yet unable to do anything at all about it?

Uh, isn't this some loving junta poo poo? Is the military breaking down too?

No, in a Junta the military would be the main power, not a power who is in danger of being puppet-stringed by neo-fascism. The Junta comes after the military gets pissed and seizes government control.

What we have here is a military officer essentially saying, "Haha, I get to go work for Trump now, so I only answer to the President of the United States. Now I'm going to go pitch policy ideas of the future president in his home."

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

Confounding Factor posted:

Yes and Democrats who are in Congress need to be just as obstructionist as the GOPers were during Obama's presidency.

Exactly. Have you ever heard the phrase, "Scratch my back and I scratch yours"? Well, kick me in the balls for 8 years, and, well... I'm going to come back with a shovel.

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

Hammurabi's code is deprecated for a reason.

Yes, but in this case we've lost an eye and are thinking about working with the person who ripped it out of our skull while he hides a scalpel behind his back.

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

thechosenone posted:

Of course. Though if they do actually get a good idea or two in somehow, I don't think we have to be as nonsensical as Republicans about our obstructionism. This assuming they don't put something worse riding on top of this hypothetical good idea.

I would add a poison pill rider to as many pieces of legislation as possible. Tag Universal Amnesty onto anything and the Republicans will scatter in every direction. Of course this is a joke really since they control both houses and the executive. They could easily remove any riders, but it would slow things down.

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

Nevvy Z posted:

I voted against Trump, I feel a vague unease at listening to people who were too 'pure' to do that properly telling me what my moral obligations are now.

That's up for you to decide, no ones dictating anything to anyone. There has to be serious discussion within the left right now about what to do.

But hell, it's Trump's America now! Party like it's 1999 and you know what's coming in 2000, 2001, 2003, late 2007, and 2016

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

Lord Hydronium posted:

The wall...was in your heart all along, America.

See, my idea was to find Dr Nimnal and make his robotic dogs go catch immigrants instead of cats. He's already got cages for everyone.

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

MizPiz posted:

I won't lie, after going through over a year of the media dismissing your campaign as a joke and expecting you to be gone be the next week, I'd have done the exact same thing. If anyone deserves to have their noses rubbed in Trump's victory, it's those chucklefucks.

Or maybe, just maybe, the Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces of the United States should be able to handle criticism without seeking vengeance afterward.

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

TheScott2K posted:

He will be in 2018 :getin:

You do understand this is an independent who caucuses with the republicans, right? Let him take up office in his state, fine, I don't want him near the federal government. Saying, "I don't like Trump!" or "I don't like racism!" doesn't mean he won't drop right into lock-step with congressional or senatorial republicans.

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

MizPiz posted:

Nah, you're just in the wrong universe.

Please let us know when you find the right one.

I'll let you know when I find my flying, way bigger on the inside, police call box.

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

I don't really understand all the hubbub about the electoral college. I mean, I do, but I don't think discussion about it now is very productive. We've all known how stupid it is for many years, but neither party wants to get rid of it because they both think they know the best way to use it to their advantage. The electoral college bit the Democrats in the rear end in 2000, but during Obama's 8 years the party didn't push any kind of electoral reform and, what do you know, it bit them in the rear end again in 2016. Now Republicans won't want anything to do with it because they plan on incumbent Trump winning the EC again, especially looking at the popular vote from this year.

So your hopes of electoral reform lie future senators and congressmen who campaign on electoral reform, and a future president who might make it a priority (most likely a democrat). So the fight then is in the midterms, and trying to elect progressive congressman and senators who will in the future be able to vote for electoral reform if it comes around. And I would expect that if the Dems started pushing electoral reform, Republicans would fight it tooth and nail and what the SCOTUS looks like at that time will have a huge impact.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that while many criticisms of the EC are valid, the Dems were perfectly content to let the EC carry Hillary to a landslide victory, as was being predicted. They wanted to keep trying to game the EC, same as Republicans and it cost them again. Whether you think the electors should vote out Trump is another story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

Inferior Third Season posted:

Significant progress was made on the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact in the years following the 2000 debacle, but they never got enough states on board. That's the only viable alternative outside of a Constitutional amendment, which is not going to happen due to Republicans holding most state legislatures. Also note that all of the members of NPVIC are strong Democratic states, so it is not true that neither party wants to get rid of the electoral college. Everyone knows that it clearly favors Republicans.
SCOTUS and the president have nothing to do with Constitutional amendments, and Congress is only partially involved, and requires a 2/3 vote in both houses just to start the process. Most of the heavy lifting is by the state legislatures, and they don't want to do it because they're mostly Republican. NPVIC is only among the states themselves, and therefore the federal government has literally zero impact on it.

Basically, if you really want to get rid of the electoral college, we need to vote Democrats into power in 38 states and then call a constitutional convention. And if we could do that, we'd have NPVIC already, so we probably wouldn't even bother at that point.

I didn't realize that state governments were required to do that. I also need to read up on the NPVIC, I didn't know about that either.

But we would still need an upswell of progressive democrats in the legislature, so midterms is a good place to start on that side of it.

• Locked thread