Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I missed the ground floor of those weird-rear end Astro Boy collage monstrosities, and can someone explain what the poo poo is up with those? Are they some elaborate joke I don't get? What is going on? :psyduck:

Star Citizen fan AdzAdama makes weird psychedelic photoshops that often paint CIG staff as near-godlike creative entities. As of late he's been using Astro Boy as a representation of his hopes, dreams, and to some degree his favourite ship in the game. The fact it seems like his favourite ship is going to get refactored is what often results in images where Astro Boy is being mistreated/saddened in some way.

Lladre posted:

They are made by a non English speaking fan, who seems dangerously close to having a mental breakdown.

I hope they get help.

At the risk of a "That's what I said" joke response, I thought Adz was just Australian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Bluegoblin's pleas for not saying anything mean about Star Citizen always come across like it's the only way he prevents himself from accepting that poo poo is permafucked.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Someone get me my large bucket of paint, it's time to forget how to read.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

ManofManyAliases posted:

You guys can poo poo on my all you want, but I didn't say that Streetroller didn't deserve a refund because of his disability. My counter argument to him revolved around playability/completion of the game, and why (after accepting several iterations of the ToS) he is largely ineligible for a refund (unless CIG decides on their own merit) for those reasons. But sure - change the narrative.

I didn't say you said he didn't deserve a refund due to his disability, I said you and others got all smarmy about how "poor" he was and how he should have been more responsible with his money to mock him. His disability was an entirely justified reason to seek a refund when a promised feature got pulled and you and others mocked him and called him "childish" and denigrated him. You absolutely went out of your way to use the most chiding language you could and surprise surprise, it's the same playbook all these other shitheads have used to mock some other dude who likewise is no longer able to play due to a developing disability.

This kind of poo poo that just reeks of that sort of smarmy bottom-scraping kind of attitude where you have to reduce another person to a childlike state or a lower social class in order to defend a lovely videogame scam.

ManofManyAliases posted:

Did you get nervous when you blew three years' worth of allowance on online goods that weren't delivered to you right away?

That's not the only one you did either, if you'd like me to "change the narrative" some more.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Dementropy posted:

That's a very polite way of saying, "Fundraising clip-a-thons at Port Olisar and possibly a chance to bid on CR's Orgone/Prana/Argon/whatever-enriched blood."

Maybe even a space reliquary of his hair.

Buying Chris Roberts' blood would be a service to mankind because we haven't determined if this level of failure can be transmitted via transfusion. I mean people are practically willing the man to make their dreams come true with money and time and exposure being thrown his way and somehow in spite of all of this and all the money what we have is the jankiest tech demo at about 1% or so of what was promised. Imagine what would happen if someone weaponised this level of failure. You could bring down entire countries FROM THE INSIDE.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Hello Games is also like 7 people working in a shack.

A shack that probably receives about 20 death threats a day. Maybe less now.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Well at least Hideo Kojima will be happy.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

I like how the open book is blank.

They probably didn't have time to steal something to put on its pages.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

I was expecting some Skyrim asset actually.

I'm sure someone there is trying to fit The Lusty Argonian Maid in a space station somewhere before they're fired for a new cycle of underpaid temps.

Kosumo posted:

It's not blank, that's the Star Citizen's Design Document.

Star Citizen's book cooking book.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Beet Wagon posted:

Burn the subreddit. BURN IT.

Proof of brigading right here. Looks like it's back to jail with you, Beet Wagon.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Drunk Theory posted:

So, I've got to wonder, why did this particular uproar get two responses. Was Chris just bored and felt he should post some more poo poo to laugh at all the idiots giving him money?

Normally after one CIG response so the cultists get their marching orders they usually shut up and let their zealots handle things. But this particular issue got two responses. We're the zealots running out of steam on this one?

This round of criticism is getting right under his skin, especially since he already totally absolved himself of everything he's hosed up before. It's like the letter to the Escapist that took 8 hours to write, or the alleged AMD letter. A lot of "How dare they?" or "How could they not understand?!"

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

peter gabriel posted:

So I thought I'd load up the game and make a fun video.
I cannot, the game will not let me:
Play it
Have any fun

They have designed the little bit of fun there was to be had right out of the game.
So, you now walk like a loving zombie on Prozac now, the tool tips (they have added a lot of these) tell you to press shift to run, so I do and I do.
The thing is, what they have done is so transparent with this my eyes rolled 365 degrees in my head and moonwalked away like an Xbox 360.
They have put in more and more 'poo poo zones' - These first started appearing years ago when the table I used to run on and jump off suddenly auto forced you to walk on it, and no where else but on that one table. This 'fixed' the issue of people jumping through the ceiling.
They now have these anti fun zones on all air locks, so you can no longer run at the doors. You are not able to move with freedom any more in multiple places and it's jarring as gently caress, as well as a SLAP IN THE FACE - it reeks of on rails console games made by EA and hand holding BULL$HIT like what evil publishers put in games.
So that sucks the fun out of that.
Then we move on to being outside. We all know that Star Citizen does not simulate anything at all but when you are outside now you get a tool tip telling you to 'monitor your oxygen levels at all times and press B to take some medicine or some bullshit' - So now you have limited time outside. I pressed B and nothing happened.
This essentially means open world dicking around is dead, you now have a fun tax slapped on that.
Then we have this new loving god awful lovely wank arse UI and how you 'interact with bullshit' - OK, so press F4 to go into 3rd person view, this is my preferred view as it really is the best way to see your commandos ultra 4K butt textures.
Now, want to OPEN A loving DOOR? Well space cadet, prepare to use your wits and training because doors no longer just open, oh no, this is the future after all. You now zombie your rear end up to the door and press F, while pressing F a very hit and miss UI pops up and your wobble your mouse at 5fps over the door handle, so now while doing this click the loving thing, go on click, click like the arsehole you are.
If this has all gone well the IMMERSION ANIMATION will open the door, and now you get to press F4 again to go back to the view you were in - every time.
This is lovely enough with doors but you want to fly a Mustang? Good luck with that, instead of being immersed in the greatest gaming experience of the century you are a twat kneeling down, pressing F, wobbling your mouse and clicking wildly at the ether hoping something, anything happens. If your man hole cover of destiny ever deigns to flop open you pop out of your preferred view, into a god awful view and all hell breaks loose until you mash F4, then guess what? PRESS F YOU BITCH AND CLICK THE loving IMMERSION LADDER - Are you having fun yet? WELL GUESS WHAT? View change out of no where. Press F4 again while totally doing the loving can can upside down and DO IT ALL AGAIN TO SIT IN A loving CHAIR.
They have killed this game dead, this is literally zero fun now.

OK, so I get in my commandos chair and IT GETS WORSE.
So now you do the press F bullshit and your chariot turns on eventually. Now then, after the usual 'Landing Gear Succsfl' welcome message you USED TO be able to hit space bar and zoom up.
Not any more motherfucker
Now you have to (while sat in the chair) press F and wobble your mouse around until you find a START CHARIOT button. This appears to do nothing.
This is as far as I got - Fuuuuuck this. The cockpit is all sort of interactive now with much F pressing going on, the UI too small to read and literally useless.
I never did take off because...

THEY HAVE NOW PUT A FUN TAX ON FLYING
So if you sit in your crap ship on the lovely grey concrete environment for too long you despawn after a warning of 'You are stationary in an active landing pad for too long you arse' warning.
So that was me, done with that poo poo, I got teleported back inside Port Olsisissrarar for loitering, my crime level went up as well, although I doubt that does anything.

I cannot express how poo poo this is now, it's not funny, it's not fun, it's shear joyless crap and you can literally see where they have designed the fun right the gently caress out of it. "People seem to be having fun running in this area and jumping around - I think if we disabled running and jumping that would solve it, also people are playing around on the landing pads, we should really take steps to KNOCK THAT OFF"

That along with 7 minutes loading screens, 12 FPS, chat still full of 'weapons not working' and other shite. It's crap, if anyone is on the fence about buying this just to see how bad it is, don't - Instead get off the fence and stare at it for an hour, it's more fun.

It's like that one guy who was concern posting about people running around stations ruining his immersion got put in charge of everything.

TheLastRoboKy fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Aug 5, 2018

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Agony Aunt posted:

That's one hell of a persecution complex he has.

It's probably the most attention he gets in his day to day.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

TheAgent posted:

and when it finally all comes crashing down, you'll have the same people who were shilling hard for SC go "well yeah it was only like two thousand dollars and its not that big of a deal for me, so who cares" who you know will secretly back the everloving poo poo outta whatever garbage kickstarter chris roberts and co decide to launch next

I sit here and I try to think of what other type of game Chris could pitch without it being the same poo poo he's been trying to make since Wing Commander and the depth of his repertoire is just so incredibly shallow so I just can't imagine what he'd try to do otherwise except the same idea with the same loving mistakes all over again.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

TheAgent posted:

I should really start an alex jones clone site dedicated to star citizen rumors and conspiracy theories

TheAgent posted:

infoship.com

You'd never be able to top the poo poo that gets posted in the star citizen subreddit for sheer out there imaginary bullshit.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

CrazyLoon posted:

Yea, calling it right now, nothing is coming out in 2020. They can make all the loving plans they want, CR can make whatever bullshit promises he likes, whether internally within the studios or externally, but in the end he will do what he's always done (refactor and keep the money train going from the cultists with BS promises). If I'm reading this right, Cry-rekt hosed up their part of the lawsuit, so barring any legal action this poo poo ends only when the money (and human stupidity) dries out and no sooner than that.

Yeah even if Chris thinks 2020 is their last chance I'm sure he'd take another chance afterwards if he could hand wave it away. Honestly though that's a long time spent not producing a game and having people increasingly making GBS threads on you for your increasingly money-grubbing measures.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Oh man they scheduled stuff. They've never done THAT before.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Blue On Blue posted:

First step, account created and logged into the official website

This should be a harbinger of things to come...

Nothing like being begged to pledge right off the hop

Well if they ask you after you've tried the game they'll be too late.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

AngusPodgorny posted:

Does CIG even anything besides the Print Screen button? I know FFXIV has a special screenshot mode where you can mess with poses, lighting, cameras, filters, etc., so I assumed that's what the Battlefield tweet was talking about.

Some games can enter a weird/cool sort of screenshot mode using nvidia stuff assuming they have the right drivers, but I figure trying to do that with Star Citizen just gets you Chris Roberts sending you an angry email cc'd to your family and friends.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

It's not a surprise they're going with the paid to see stuff, but it's interesting because Square Enix just STOPPED charging for streaming of their Final Fantasy 14 fanfest events and just further incentivized turning up to the actual events.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

TheAgent posted:

on a lighter note, beloved hardcore "those blizzard guys who are no longer constrained by blizzard and will now make the mmo of your dreams, cupcake" mmo Wildstar is now loving dead

https://kotaku.com/wildstar-developer-carbine-studios-shuts-down-1828862729

if you fancy a read, go back in time to some old wow/wildstar threads where people sunk thousands of dollars into that poo poo claiming "I'M HAVING FUN FUN IS WHAT I AM HAVING AND HOW CAN YOU PUT A PRICE ON THAT AND ITS NOT A BAD GAME PLEASE WE NEED MORE PEOPLE TO SIGN UP FOR 6 1/2 HOUR RAIDS"

much like SoTA, it's going to be what star citizen becomes

Wildstar threads on SA were the first place I heard about Lethality, people bitching about how he was fervently defending every bad decision made and shouting down dissent in his usual manner on the official forums even as the game bled players. Then I peeked into Star Citizen and was like "Oh my god there's a pattern forming"

Case in point. Dude doesn't understand that criticism isn't necessarily an act of hate.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

This really is the debacle that never ends.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

BluesShaman posted:

I helped fund Broken Age, and it was mediocre.

Because I didn't learn my lesson, I helped fund Psychonauts 2.

According to the citizens' law of funding, Psychonauts 2 should be the BDTSGE (Best drat Tim Schaefer Game Ever).

I constantly forget Psychonauts 2 is a thing that is apparently being attempted (is it? I constantly forget, you know), but I'll never forget that Tim Schaefer was the original "Got way more money than he asked for, still had to slash the project into two pieces to deliver it" fail-dev. The proto-Chris Roberts in almost every way.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Dark Off posted:

he delivered on promises fully. The real problem was the fact that everyone were expecting the next monkey island/ grim fandango. And he never dispelled those beliefs.
also the documentary was great.
Broken age however was rather mediocre game.

I don't mean this in a mocking way, but it made me laugh that the "real problem" was that people expected him to make a good game, and he didn't tell anyone he was making a crap one.

No wait sorry a crap one in two parts.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

I dunno man CIG have managed to keep a lot of whales from achieving escape velocity with their money, and surely they have learned something from their orbiting fanboys.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Fangrim posted:

I have often wondered why Chris Roberts or someone at CIG didn't pull the brakes at any time.

At some point, relatively early on in development, someone had to realize, that there is no chance in Hell that this game could be made with CryEngine. No amount of money, man hours, or tweaking can force this engine to perform the way Chris sold the game.

Why the gently caress didn't they just say "Listen guys... We're sorry but we bit off more than we can chew! There will be instances and some loading transitions, but we'll do the utmost to make this game as close to our initial promise as humanly possible!

They're mired in an engineering debt that that haven't got any chance to get out of, but still they're adding to their engineering debt, and no end in sight.

It's mindboggling!

Chris Roberts doesn't like being told something can't be done.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Working literally anywhere else after CIG will seem like something magical. Assuming you aren't instead sent back to learn how to be a programmer/designer from scratch again to unlearn the terrible practices foisted on you trying to make the unworkable happen.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

They say any game where you play with other people can improve your game experience, but Star Citizen is probably the exception that proves the rule because a) The community; and b) The game runs worse the more people play it.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

SC cult-like behaviour is more swinging in to defend a multi-million dollar media production from criticism, as far as I reckon.

Kosumo posted:

Why did I not see anyone bring up space Mary Poppins/Princess Leia.

That was just totally poo poo and I'd like to see anyone defend it. :colbert:

Honestly I never saw the movie but I'd have gone and seen it if she broke into song during that sequence.

Mr.Tophat posted:

It made money.

Star Citizen is good again! Whew. Secret jpg stash is safe for now.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Mr.Tophat posted:

Fun thing. If I get into arguments with people about nerd poo poo, I can fight them with nerd swords that don't break. If they back down, well, maybe they should have paid attention to Yoda and do the loving training before fighting a father figure who wants to cut off their hand for good reason.

There's not a nerd alive that would not self-destruct in that self-reflection cave thing.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Aqua Seafoam Shame posted:

Imagine in any other company the head of community engagement complaining about work talk on his "personal" Twitter account. What the hell does that even mean anyway?

I wouldn't be surprised if he got told to deal with it and is trying to couch the terms of his response with "don't do this over twitter" so he doesn't get told to deal with it again. After all, if it's not on Spectrum the community team can't bury or remove it.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Sarsapariller posted:

Why does he have such a hate-on for Elite? This is venturing into hardcore projection territory

Venturing into it? He's pretty clearly bought land claim beacons and been staking it out for ages waiting for CIG to actually implement land ownership.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Facebook Aunt posted:

For a particular subset of gamers that seems fine to me. Some people love these job simulator games.

If someone came along and said “the game isn’t fun to play and I think they should focus on that instead of their idea of ‘realism’ or whatever” the sim fans would be annoyed because you are missing the point of the game. Making Euro Truck Simulator more like Grand Theft Auto to make it more "fun" would horrify them.

Some store citizen fans clearly want a MMO job sim . . . in space! Remember the folks who wanted a cargo stacking minigame? The idea being that if you spend an extra 20 minutes stacking boxes in your cargo hold maybe you can actually fit in 5% more than a guy who just throws it in wherever. LOL. Those folks genuinely want more drudgery, not more fun.

Star Citizen is just Gullible Idiot Simulator with yearly iterations. I'd recommend the free-to-play Watching the Train-Wreck Simulator to the average person though. Sure you don't get any of the gameplay features like "Being lied to repeatedly but still paying" and "Giving yourself amnesia to look foolish trying to win an internet argument while still paying" but it's still more or less the same experience.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Has anyone said "The inevitable consequence of picking a female avatar" yet?

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Quavers posted:

More static maps, and now 17FPS

Not being able to see past the screen of UI and twitch crap seems like a blessing.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

The Titanic posted:

I can't wait for the Star Citizen post mortem. :allears:

I'm still waiting for their in-house documentary!

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Just like Australia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

rePool posted:

So weird, his motivation is to prove detractors wrong. Not motivated by something he's interested in.

Hyper-defensive is probably the default mode for everyone working with CIG because in any given moment someone will blame you for what's hosed up and you need to be ready to lay that blame on someone or somewhere else. He could live in absolute terror of someone asking him why he can't abridge his stuff and save everyone some money because some dude can do a write-up of it all for free, and I wouldn't be shocked.