Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

how does Lion King fit into this

The Lion King represents the Prehistory of Robin Hood. A time before the Bronze Age that symbolizes the mythological state of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

So what you're saying is the apocalyptic scenario in Zootopia represents what happens when Lion King goes too far? :v:

Shadow Hog posted:

Animals go from walking around in the nude, to inconsistently wearing clothes, to collectively deciding shoes suck but pants are a must

Somewhere along the way, monarchical rule gives way to publicly elected officials

The Simba-Carta represents a major step forward in representative democracy and it's call for clothing, while controversial among certain sects of society such as the Yak species, was a welcome change from the constant "commando style" that ever-prevalent. It was the first step to real change in the animal species.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Holy loving poo poo they used Carpenter Brut as the music :stare:

please God let this mean Samurai Jack S5 has synthwave music

The music really sold me on the trailer.

I loved Samurai Jack when it was really trying to be something different, like that excellent Shinobi episode that was posted earlier. When Jack decided to go experimental or just straight up odd, the entire show really shined, even the goofy stuff like "Jack turns into a chicken" episode.

I'm pretty hyped about the return.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Hedrigall posted:

I thought it was nice sharing our own art times for thread :smith:

It all fun and games until someone posts a 'taur

Your picture was cute.

Shame about the 'taur.

So besides Cartoons101, which owns, does anyone else have any good animation themed youtube channels? I dig Lewtoons but would love some more suggestions.

My job is boring so I love little retrospectives and exploration stuff for background on long days.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Hedrigall posted:

Thanks for making me aware of Lewtoons! I was on the lookout for more channels too.

There's the Nickelodeon podcast hosted by Hector Navarro which is pretty cool. He interviews creators and voice actors from (mostly) 90s Nicktoons. (still waiting on an Angry Beavers episode though...) It's on youtube

Thanks for the podcast. I've been meaning to get into more and more podcasts.

Lewtoons is pretty cool. It may just be that "I have a type" and Chad is very much that type but I really enjoy his videos and the quality that goes into them. Also, his "I watch every animated movie of 2016" was a good way to keep me informed of some of the movies I had no reason to see, like the Ice Age or Norm of the North stuff. He seems pretty genuine and that goes a long way way with me. I hope you enjoy!

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Hedrigall posted:

Do you need a purramedic?

... Is this... am I being punk'd right now?

"In Eddie's defense, they drawn them really sexy."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btUx3gb0-FE

This always cracks me up.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Detective No. 27 posted:

Down Under is better for George C. Scott alone.

Seriously, he really steals the show. The lil song he sings in the middle part of the movie still surprises me for how brutal it is for a Disney movie.

Jake the kangaroo rat is adorable as well. Plus the Nun Mice always crack me up. The sending of the message sequence is great.

It's not a great Disney flick, but I think it has some good bits.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Regalingualius posted:

So Adult Swim went and put up a new small preview clip for Samurai Jack S5 today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMIZD-JSf5k

Looks great.

Jack with a gun is strange and I like it. In fact, it and the stabby/sparkly spear makes me think he will need to find his sword and that could be a decent way to get back into the main plot.

Looking forward to this!

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
The A.V club has its review for Rock Dog up and it seems pretty dire. Much like any review site, take it with a grain of salt but it looks a bit skippable. I will watch just about anything with J.K Simmons in it so this may go by as something half watched on Netflix while I fool about. The review does mentioned that "There is a scene where he trudges around in the rain to Radiohead’s “No Surprises,” so that is certainly something.

http://www.avclub.com/review/rock-dog-direct-streaming-cheapie-movie-ticket-pri-250764

Beachcomber posted:

I think I saw All Dogs too young, because it freaked me out and I refused to ever watch it again.

The Hell sequence legitimately terrified me as a kid. I adore it as an adult but it was wild at the time. There is something about Bluth's color palette that makes things intense and still dreamlike.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
The Neck Snap in Titan AE haunts me to this day...

The intelligent guard scene is really great. Its a shame because there is some good pieces to the movie but the sum of its parts is pretty meh.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
Yay for Zootopia! :toot:

I wonder if it will get a fancy special edition? I'd love to hear a commentary track or get that short documentary that came out a while back attached on a disc.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Hedrigall posted:

What if they also did a new short film with Zootopia characters for the release :kiddo:

Judy and Nick process Flash's arrest paperwork. It is 5 minutes long and still contains no less a dozen animal puns.

God willing, there will be a The Wire reference.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Clumsy Card House posted:

John Powells work on How to Train Your Dragon was bomb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5N3q68e7OQ

Yes!

The song with Jonsi from Sigur Ros is what attracted me to the movie as I've been a huge fan of that band since forever now. I decided to give the movie a try and completely fell back in love with animation in general. I owe that soundtrack a lot.

It's kind of cheating for this discussion but I'm posting it anyways: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXV2fCimTsE

To contribute scores, I know the Zootopia score has been brought up but I love the track, Some of My Best Friends Are Predators. The buildup is just great and hits me right every time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZepueN4yuqw

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Renoistic posted:

So. What is CDD?

Cat's Don't Dance

Unless I'm completely off the mark.

Its a pretty cool movie. Great musical bits

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

LeJackal posted:

This looks like the worst kind of cheap garbage.

It just seems so generic. Like an animated expression of a "meh".

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

LeJackal posted:

That is what makes it so offensive. I can get behind a passionate project poorly executed in some way, like Rock and Rule, but something that just seems to exist for the purpose of checking boxes is obnoxious. Lazy and uninspired character design, cheap looking animation, and a color-the-numbers storyline. Snoozer.

I had a major eye-roll at "the mark on your hand means you're royalty, lets reclaim the space throne" reveal. I can forgive some laziness in a movie aimed a young audience but that is just weak. Ground so well tread that it's down to the literal earth's crust.

Das Boo posted:

Haha, holy poo poo. I didn't click the link until just now and just knew you guys were talking about The Emoji Movie. Go back and read the conversation, it's spot on.

This is true. I am baffled by the existence of the Emoji movie and even more at the knowledge that it almost certainly do very well at the box office.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Unmature posted:

In the Samurai Jack premiere he fights a scatting anime Dennis Miller robot.

And it was just fantastic!

I forgot how much I enjoyed the background art and style of Tartakovsky. So many cool locations.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Unmature posted:

I also wanna shout out the Samurai Jack finale. It doesn't tie anything up in any way, but it's a cool homage to Lone Wolf and Cub.

Also I reviewed the new episode on Cartoons 101 today. Probably too late to matter but I was crazy busy this weekend: https://youtu.be/Nn9F3lulofg

Loved it.

The little tease of Aku's voice was great and reminded me of why the little splashes of humor in the show just work so well. I know Mako is going to difficult to replace but Greg Baldwin should be a decent stand in. His work on Korra/Avatar was solid.

Looking forward to the next episode!

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

ConfusedUs posted:

Is the merchant in the intro supposed to be the Genie? Because he has a lot of the same speech patterns (notably going into rapid-fire not-quite-asides after every few lines), and a lot of magical stuff happens around him casually, like his stall which appears from nothing and the glowing sand from the lamp. His motions are also extremely bouncy and over-animated.

Yeah.

It was a fan theory for a long time but the director has said that it is true. Apparently the reveal got cut from the finished movie.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
The live-action Lion King will be completely redeemed if I can get uncanny valley hyenas goose stepping though a canyon set to "Be Prepared".

edit:

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Full Hyena Communism Now

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

This just feels like professional trolling at this point.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
World of Ralph: Wrath of the Wreck-it King

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

John Cena is cool, that's not bad casting.

As someone who does not watch wrestling, I appreciate getting a wrestling star to play a bull who does not want to fight. Its a cute choice and his voice work is pretty good. It may just be good directing, but his bit in the china shop is fun.

"You will bullieve" is unforgivable though.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Hedrigall posted:

I gotta get around to that show :o

Same.

I love the little puppets every time I've seen them in action.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Shadow Hog posted:

Less sensical: my brain also wants to insert a bat character into this clique. Especially if voiced by Will Arnett. It makes some sense on a meta scale (Jason Bateman and Will Arnett are huge friends; Will Arnett played LEGO Batman), but it's still dumb fanfiction.

There actually is a bat character that got cut from the film. He shows up in the art book and strangely as a toy with Clawhauser.

starkebn posted:

if you enjoy it there's no reason to bother with what I think anyway

I can't even remember the last time I watched anime and enjoyed it at this point, but Bebop has always a place for me. You have me intrigued enough to go back and give the subs a try. Been needing to finish watching the Blu-Ray anyways.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Flaccid Trip posted:

Here it is

The worst dub

Unironically one of my favorite movies growing up and I watched it constantly. Only later did I learn its terrible secret...

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

IUG posted:

ahahaha

It's pretty great. That box art is incredibly bad and misleading. There is no pegasus, no robo-skeletor, there is a male pilot character in the movie but he certainly takes a back seat to the main female character who is shoved to the upper right corner. Its so weird. I actually kind of wished I knew how the box art came to be.

Glad that I own the Blu-Ray now. Such a great movie.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
The Secret of Nimh owns. Great characters, cool color palette, and has that great sword fight at the end.

I really adore everything about the journey into the Rose Bush. The strange colors, the guard with the weird electric halberd, the little rat council. The attention to the little details is a lot of fun.

The stuff with the great Owl is awesome too. That spider gave me the chills as a kid.

Great movie.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

World Famous W posted:

I played the first Kingdom Hearts. It was fun. Then I played the second got about about an hour into... a simulation or something(?) and put it down and never looked back.

Just the opposite for me. I got the part in the first game when it asked me to find all 101 Dalmations and thought "Ehh...no."

I finished the second game simply because there was a point in the game when I realized the entire plot was insane, like genuinely crazy, fever dream anime nonsense and I was intrigued to see how far down the rabbit hole it would go. The answer was really really far. It helped that I thought the combat was fun. The Disney stuff is cool with the Lion King and Tron areas being memorable for me.

I'd probably just LP it these days but it was fun to play.

Now that I think on it, the start of the second game is really boring though. It lasts like an hour I think but it feels like 20 years that you never get back.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
Gonna watch Ernest and Celestine when I get home. I think its on Netflix.

I could use something cute and fuzzy after reading the political threads this week. Jeez

Also it looks like the dub has Forest Whitaker in it so that's a big plus for me.

Edit: Oh my god, the trailer is adorable!

Crazy Ferret fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 11, 2017

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
Ernest & Celestine is awesome!

Just too cute. Beautiful animation and I loved the little mouse city. The whole movie is just adorable.

The art stuff is just too good as well. Them painting the car to how they used the canvas painting to show the transition of the seasons. Really clever stuff.

Highly recommended if you haven't seen it yet.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

ShadowCatboy posted:

I'll admit it. I'm still nuts for Zootopia. :swoon:

Like, I really like Zootopia. I happily added into one of my lesson plans last year as a way to introduce Intersectionality and discuss things like privilege and race in a soft and simple way for highschoolers. Both my observing teacher and classroom instruction teacher loved it. I got a great score on the lesson plan. Its great and lord knows I've watched it enough times since then.

That said, do we really need sexy time Zootopia or dark, gritty dead character Zootopia? Its so bafflingly to me that everyone just wants to take the material into "adult" areas that feels so out of place. It was a fun city with really fun characters that grow in smart ways with a good message while still admittedly the entire concept its tackling is complex.

I love the gay couple neighbors don't get me wrong, but jesus, lets keep it PG. Its better for the story or any story worth telling with its inevitable sequel.

edit: lol probation but ya know.

Crazy Ferret fucked around with this message at 03:17 on May 14, 2017

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Hedrigall posted:

Some people just don't know how to show restraint :rolleyes:

If only they had a kind of shock collar...

Perhaps there is a story there...

SatansBestBuddy posted:

On the one hand, I think it's silly to say that only the creators are allowed to make a sequel to a story.

Yeah, I don't mean to suggest that. I'm pretty sure there are a lot of people that could tell a good story in the Zootopia universe. I just push against this trend, especially from the furry fandom per say, to take everything in either a grim or "sexy" direction for no other reason than to make it adult for adult's sake. It strikes me as just short sighted.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

that's the only part of Avatar I remember, the only part that was worth remembering, and it redeemed the entire rest of the movie for me

Agreed. I don't want to live in a future where my mech suit does not have a giant bowie knife to fight off the giant alien tiger-lizard. It was a neat fight.

I like James Cameron and Avatar is ok. Its a tech demo in which his Colonial Marines fight cat-people aliens. I've put it on for background noise for cleaning/painting miniatures every blue moon.

I don't have high hopes for the sequels cause...yeesh. Why?

In actual animation stuff, I found this in the FanArt a couple of days ago. Its done by the same person who did that rad Star Wars animation clip. Its R-Type themed with music by someone wishing they were Carpenter Brut. It think its pretty neato.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=876W253z6KY

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

starkebn posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=876W253z6KY

But wow, that dialogue and voice acting is bad. I can see why his TIE fighter animation didn't have any dialogue.

Oh man, I linked this earlier but I chose to pick the one that had the most likes just for whatever reason. I had no idea it had dialog and no idea that it was awful.

The one I saw was this one; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag2R79KXQIQ

It even references the fact that it is better without dialogue at the end. Oh my god, its terrible. I feel shame...

I have learned a valuable life lesson.

Crazy Ferret fucked around with this message at 01:22 on May 17, 2017

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Phylodox posted:

I mean...this is really debatable. The Furious Five are barely sketched in, character-wise.

As much as I genuinely like the Kung-Fu Panda movies, this will always be the biggest flaw to me. Great talent, mostly wasted.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Robindaybird posted:

As for Chicken Little - it's ugly as gently caress even for the time with some weirdass casting decisions - and how Foxy Loxy ended up was just so loving gross - she gets permanently brain-scrambled from a bullyish, rough tomboy to a saccharine girly-girl southern belle, but she doesn't get fixed because the pig decided he prefers her that way, and nobody objects. She wasn't made nicer, she was made into an entirely different person.

This and how Chicken Little's dad treats him and his reasoning for doing so makes the movie indefensible to me. The entire movie feels so mean-spirited because of it.

It's pretty bad in other places and ok in others ( I genuinely like the fish-kid), but what they do to Foxy is just ugly.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Shadow Hog posted:

I feel like one of these days, I should just watch that film so I have some context for how horrible it is, and just how far Disney's CG animation has come since.

I mean, it was on Netflix when I last checked, so I guess I have a quick venue to it if I want to suffer

Its real bad bro.

But I'd probably read your tweets about it so there is that.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
This Will Destroy You song "New Topia" is animated and pretty cool. Its simple but very hypnotic. The band is pretty cool if you dig Post-Rock stuff.

If its not for you, the part at about 2:00 is cool for the animation alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_tDiEwjAEU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
"Oh, so there's a THEM now"

Also this bit from Venture Brothers has been in-joke with some of my friends for ages, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaW4CJj_UPc

"That's Colonel Gathers to you, suit."
"Oh yeah? In that case, I'm President Cardholder and this is my associate, Emperor Doe." "God-Emperor Doe."