Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

How flexible are the reserves when it comes to working around class schedules? I'm separating from AD and joining the reserves very soon, and after applying to start school in summer semester I realized that the annual 2-week drill may interfere with that. I'm under the impression that it usually happens during the summer - is that so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Terminal countdown: 9 days

Rather than doing turnover, checkout stuff, and kickin' it for the duration I get to run around putting out fires and frantically trying to tie up loose ends until the last minute. Between the 2 large aviation programs I manage, one of my reliefs is in school until March and the other has been on leave for the past two weeks.

It is about to be Not My loving Problem real soon :feelsgood:

Gray Matter fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Feb 10, 2017

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

CMD598 posted:

Isn't this about the point where they tell you that you can't go on terminal?
I'm just waiting for that bomb to drop. As far as why I didn't drop my programs on my reliefs, its because the chain didn't even identify who was replacing me until about 2 weeks ago. One of them is a recent gain who I have never even seen cause he's been in school since arriving.

I returned my CWAY quota last spring.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

It's all worth it once you have that sweet, sweet DD-214 in hand my man. Got mine today.

Freedom beard starts now

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

PneumonicBook posted:

Take my lead and drop an IRR chit or just never show up for drill again lmao.
Tell me more about this IRR chit. Just transfered from AD to selres to finish the last 3 of my 8 years. Basically only reason I'm drilling is to keep Tricare until finding a cool & good employer health plan, at which point I'd love to drop the Navy like a hot turd make my graceful exit.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

And this can be done at any time during my selres obligation?

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

PneumonicBook posted:

Even if you took a bonus (like my stupid rear end) they just kindly would like it back at some point. Prorated, of course.
This sounds like some magical alternate reality version of the military where I can just peace out when it starts suckin too hard :stare:

Guess I'll find out how it is tomorrow at drill weekend #1

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Howard Phillips posted:

12 days from terminal :feelsgood:

Hang in there bros. I actually felt kinda weird and listless at first and kinda missed the Navy some days. Luckily that poo poo passed in a couple weeks and I'm about to start school on that sweet, sweet GI bill. If you're doing the same, make sure to sign up for the Pell grant and whatever others you can qualify for - between GI housing allowance, Pell grant, and the university grant, I'll be making something like 23k a year just to go to college.

Still in the drilling reserves too so I get a nice in-person reminder every month of why I left that poo poo behind. They just rescheduled this month's drill & PRT two weeks to the right giving me 3 days notice.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

Did the rest of you Reservists get your drill pushed back? Apparently we ran out of funding.
Pushed back 2 weeks. Speaking of discharges, would a hypothetical OTH discharge "override" the honorable discharge from AD on one's DD214 or how does that work? Reserves is still a complete mystery to me.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

PneumonicBook posted:

Dropping an IRR chit continues to be a good move based on the quota for selres FCCs...1.
How salty is my chain gonna be if I do this like the day my 2-year mob deferment ends?

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

maffew buildings posted:

Our post field exercise 96, which we would have gotten at least 72 of regardless due to the holiday, has been pulled due to two DUIs in two days and all hands formation at 07 tomorrow. Looking forward to some great training on how to continue not getting a DUI
Thanks for validating my decision to gtfo, I do not miss this particular brand of horseshit one bit

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Laranzu posted:

Probably the only time the NEX is competitive on electronics prices
Went in to buy a ~$850 TV a couple years back that was actually already slightly cheaper than the Amazon price. I scratched off a 25% discount at checkout on one of the scratcher cards they mail out from time to time and it was like winning a small lottery :feelsgood:

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

KetTarma posted:

Most reservists I met had little knowledge of their own rate.
Can confirm. I had to crossrate to a completely different community when going from AD to RC. To this day I have been given exactly 0 school, training, or relevant experience in my new rate.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Stultus Maximus posted:

Cheaper insurance
Literally the only reason I went reserves instead of severing completely. Jury's still out whether it's worth the trade-off of not being able to have a beard or smoke weed while living the GI Bill high life

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I don't think I was ever specifically told not to take apart my M9 while on watch.
It's you. You're the reason we have quarterly training on asinine, brutally obvious topics like "why raping people is bad". Now there's gonna be a page 13 to say "I will keep my weapon assembled".

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

orange juche posted:

considering a lethal dose in humans is 40-60mg, a seizure and then living is getting off easy. How in the gently caress was this dude able to take a drag on his vape without dying himself?
This is a dumb question, but I'm not a chemist and I need to know: what's the difference between taking 1 drag of 50mg and 50 drags of 1mg?

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Fangthane posted:

I just need to rant for a second.

I joined the reserves
LS to EM for about a year and a half now. No school, no rate training, no work experience (or any work at all really, every weekend is just admin poo poo and good old quality Navy training on the topic du jour). Ask me about 3M, tagouts, or even to explain volts and amps and be met with a blank stare.

I find myself constantly questioning if this is really worth the $220 healthcare premium.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Going on my first AT this weekend in Yokosuka since transferring to reserves. Anything I should know beforehand, stuff I need to bring, places to see, etc?

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Thanks for the Yokosuka tips, I'll try my best to restrain all stabby and rapey impulses. Where's the best udon in town?

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Well I must have picked the right billet, my shop is completely civilian except for 1 other reservist O, workin civilian hours. That said, the weather here is miserable as poo poo and I'm ready to go home after 2 days. Food's good though, and those melon shakes from vending machines are the nectar of the gods.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

PneumonicBook posted:

I hear females can wear ponytails and many males are incredibly upset at this.
Dude brought up the timeless beard question at the SECNAV call today and was, of course, brushed off

e: RIP, Zumwalt

Gray Matter fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jul 12, 2018

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Wonder Free posted:

When I switched over to the NOAA Corps I learned that “shipmate” is a positive or at least neutral term. I’ve done my best to corrupt and use it derisively.
As if there's any other way to use it

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

scripterror posted:

as lovely as the last 6 years has been, I now am debt free with great credit and years of free college ahead of me.

Only cost me the best years of my life :smith:
Same but 5 as an LS. Very glad I was swayed from my first inclinations toward the nuke program.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Stultus Maximus posted:

I've seen some pretty great reservists crash and burn because reserve admin fucks their pay, orders, and/or medical.
Speaking of which, how long should I let my NOSC sit on my voucher before I start bitching? This was my first AT so I'm not sure what the average turnaround time is, but it's been nearly 2 weeks with zero progress since I initially routed it.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Anyone familiar with the regs governing ebaying my blue nwus?

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Got notice today my disability claim was finished and rated 50%. Anything I should be particularly aware of as this relates to me, school, or the reserves?

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Dorstein posted:

If it's VA disability, they deduct your disability pay from your reserve pay. My experience was that neither bureaucracy could cope with it and it was easier to drop a chit to get out of the reserve. I have heard of those who want the retirement or insurance staying in, despite the zero paycheck. Seems like one of those things where unit/NOSC admin competence matters a lot.

If it's DoD disability, I have no idea.

It's VA, and as much as I'd love to GTFO of the reserves, I really need the Tricare for my dependents until I graduate and can get (hopefully) reasonable coverage through an employer. Fortunately my expected graduation date roughly corresponds with EAOS.

Gray Matter fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 5, 2018

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Ron Jeremy posted:

Go back to school on Uncle Sam's sweet juicy tit. The GI Bill is amazing.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

40k pre-tax pales in comparison to what I'm making from the GI bill and grants over the same ~4 year time period, not to mention the quality of life increase.

Never not get out.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Yeah, marching in a parade, that sounds horrible.

This, but unironically

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

They told me I was going to accelerate my life.. I didn't know they meant that kind of speed

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Dorstein posted:

Think Priebus needs the health insurance?
Speaking of which, anybody know how separating from the reserves affects Tricare eligibility? I expect I would lose coverage effective the date of separation, but maybe they let me keep it until the end of the CY?

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Godholio posted:

For AD it cuts off immediately unless you're enrolled in a special program like TAMP (you're probably not).
Yeah I received TAMP after separating from active last year - it ran for 6 months and iirc doesn't apply to reservists. I'm thinking ahead here to 2020 when the reserves end of my contract is up (or preferably an early out to IRR if I can score some affordable healthcare)

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I am currently mustering with the entire duty section at midnight because our duty section chief threw a temper tantrum.

I go on leave in 16 hours so gently caress it bring the gently caress gently caress games on bitch.
Lol if you're still in

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

So, what are the consequences of just.. not doing an AT this year, beyond my unit leadership being butthurt? I plan on getting out of selres March of '20 and couldn't give two shits about sat years for retirement purposes.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

You know what you did :v:

Anyway just wanted to take a moment to thank the thread for when I asked about six months ago for advice when my sister was considering joining. Turns out she was on the precipice of making a terrible decision (enlisting as a nuke when she had literally just graduated with a degree in mechanical engineering with little to no student debt), and apparently the information I gave her was enough to make her reconsider and get a job in her field.
If I can stop one heart from breaking, 
I shall not live in vain; 
If I can ease one life the aching, 
Or cool one pain, 
Or help one fainting robin 
Unto his nest again, 
I shall not live in vain.

-Emily Dickinson

Another GiP success story!

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Fuuuuuuck the Navy.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

Some sailor is whining that the people smoking weed outside his hotel may give him a contact high so if he fails a drug test tomorrow it’s not his fault.

Ok 1) No. This isn’t a Cheech and Chong movie.

2) Way to tell everyone you smoked weed last night dude.
It is 2019, surely there can't still be people that legitimately believe "contact high" is an actual thing that happens?

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

ManMythLegend posted:

Looks like a murder/suicide by sailor with a Japanese woman in Okinawa. It's on CNN but I'm too lazy to link.

Here comes the big blue weenie FDNF-J.
AT in Yokosuka next month, I swear to God if you ADs gently caress 7th fleet up for me again...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

Don’t marry someone