Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The Witcher 1 and 2 are both trash games that creepy weirdo nerds love to fellate for the dumbest reasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yang is the personification of Chinese Legalism, he really has nothing to do with marxism or marxist thought

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Jeza posted:

Certainly in the Witcher 2, it's the well written narrative and meaningful choices that I hate the most.

the story was alright, so long as you're okay with poor pacing and the final act being a big wet fart featuring an infodump; it was certainly better than most video games'

but the fact that there are two Act 2s and you only play one of them creates a situation where a shitload of plot just gets lost; this is "meaningful" in the sense that you're choosing which of 2 stories you get to experience, but it's a really bad idea from a narrative perspective because you wind up hiding important plot elements from the player and then you either need to force them to replay that act from the other side or you need to drop in a summary of what was missed. CD Projekt Red realized their mistake and didn't repeat it when developing Witcher 3.

and while a decent story is nice to have what really matters in a video game is gameplay which is just garbage in witcher 2

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

It actually owns that the game deliberately forces you to make decisions under pressure with incomplete information. Also the consequences come from these uncertain decisions, not just which side you pick.

It's a daring design choice, and more games should do something similar instead of giving you an option to deliberate with every party at your own leaisure.

you can create those situations and have those choices be meaningful without resulting in a completely divergent second act. Forcing the player to outright drop a bunch of major plot threads is ballsy but ultimately a bad idea, because the narrative suffers for it

like the witcher 3 provides important, meaningful choices in high-pressure situations yet manages to not have two exclusive acts, why would you think that this is necessary?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

1redflag posted:

Skyrim is boring as gently caress

That's the Bethesda Game Studios MO, make a huge open world and then assume that the player will make their own fun. Deliver half a game but charge full price

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

It's impossible to make your own fun in Skyrim.

:agreed:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Colonel Cancer posted:

Fallout is a trash franchise, starting at 1. Gameplay is atrocious, power armor is overpowered and story is ridiculous bullshit that's trying too hard to rip off Mad Max while adding edgy teenage humor.

mad max is a trash franchise (excluding fury road and road warrior which are both awesome) so i guess they were just being faithful to the source material

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Survival games suck and there’s not a single good one, might as well manage a spreadsheet

Same with MMOs

unpopular but true and correct opinions

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Oscar Wild posted:

Final fantasy tactics is the best game I never want to play again.

:same:

i have great memories of that game but i have absolutely no interest in playing it again

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

When will game developers become brave enough to include Japan as an antagonist in a ww2 game

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

:thejoke:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Shibawanko posted:

If you factor out manufacturing costs, the decision to retain carts was actually better for the N64 than if it had had CD's. The introduction of CD's represented an explosion of usable memory for games, which was usually used to create more assets, often in the form of cutscenes, but also textures and music. Most games of the era didn't know how to properly use all that memory for things that added to the game, and the best PS1 games are the ones which don't indulge in asset bloat or use the extra space very effectively. It wasn't a good business decision to stick to carts but in some ways it does make sense, and at least graphically the N64's games still look okay today because of the relative lack of textures or fmv's and voice acting. The real problem with the N64 was that most of its games were collectathons.

Counterpoint, the real problem with that generation of consoles was no one really understanding the best way to create 3D game environments, since that poo poo just wasn't feasible before then, so all of the games on all of the consoles not only look like rear end but play like rear end, too. Things like Voice Acting weren't particularly disruptive (e.g. it worked great in Metal Gear Solid despite having a ton of it) and I don't recall FMVs being a really big thing on the PS1 (I think that was more of a home PC and Sega CD thing that people got over before the PS1 became really popular)

Like Goldeneye was a foundational console FPS but go back and actually play it again, lol

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

hathfallen posted:

Prey is actually really dumb and boring and nothing that 100 other games haven't done in the last ten years

I remember turning into a banana and ruminating on the concept of self in the original half-life

Not in the game mind you, I was just really high, but not as high as you must have been when you wrote that post. Yes, prey merely perfects a number of key gameplay concepts instead of inventing them, like Prey did not invent skill trees or FPS mechanics, but dude did you even try playing through it as anything other than a DOOM clone?

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Aug 4, 2018

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

poverty goat posted:

I think the world design dropped the ball a little in that very few of the scenes of carnage on the station told any kind of story other than "people were doing science here and then dropped everything and got murdered" without having to read their emails, which makes exploring cleared rooms for junk to recycle much less interesting

This is one thing that Bethesda is really good at in their bad open world games, which is underappreciated

Bethesda's strategy amounts to trying to tell stories through careful skeleton placement while requiring the player to assume that the shopkeeper who uses the building wouldn't bother having these 300 year old skeletons removed

And I have no idea how you got that impression from Prey

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

It's okay for people to not like games that you like.

Yeah, that's totally fine and not in dobut.

It's also okay to ask a person why they're trying to use a screwdriver like a hammer, or to ask them if they might enjoy the movie better if they took off their welding goggles. "This game well-known for breaking convention is exactly like every conventional game" gives away that the person likely played it like a normal FPS when it's anything but.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Final Fantasy 7 is an okay game, definitely not the best Final Fantasy

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

is pepsi ok posted:

It's a goddamn travesty that Undertale got all the attention while LISA was ignored.

LISA was definitely the better game

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Oldstench posted:

Is LISA actually worth playing or is it a meme-ridden random-monkey-cheese stupid thing?

It's not meme-ridden or random-monkey-cheese at all

It's an RPG game with some cool stuff in it and was overall fun to play

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

SpazmasterX posted:

So what you're saying is it's a lovely game in a post apocalyptic setting

I mean yeah, it doesn't have the greatest RPG combat ever or something, but it's entertaining enough

I think the game would probably self-describe as "lovely"

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Total Warhammer has made me realize that Total War games are generally not very fun. Total Warhammer is fun because of its setting and because you can fly around on a dragon shooting spells at dudes, so lol at ever playing a normal Total War game

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Earthbound is as much of a secret as the In N Out secret menu, every loving nerd already knows about it

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Jeza posted:

The sooner we move away from anything that resembles garbage points-based, roll-based choice systems the better. Game narratives might upgrade from hack D&D campaign schlock to children's CYOA book which is probably still a flat-out improvement.

Games mostly already have CYOA elements, e.g. if you choose faction A then you can't choose faction B and poo poo like that

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Minecraft is some boring bullshit

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

oh also Jade Empire was the best bioware game

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Vakal posted:

Like mosts thing gamer related it got hugely blown out of proportion.

When I first heard the anger about the ME 3 ending being bad I figured it was going to be something along the lines of "it was all a simulation" or end on a massive cliff hanger.

Instead it is just a standard ending while people that invested way to much of themselves into the series were expecting something life changing I guess.

That said the Citadel DLC is really good and provides much better closure to the series than the actual ending.

dude i never even played me3 and even i could tell that people weren't just upset about the ending being "standard"

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Semi-unpopular opinion: Total War: Warhammer sucks, especially with its issues surrounding the campaign, and badly needs a balance/quality-of-life patch.

- There are dozens of CPUs and they take forever to resolve turns.

- There's a limp diplomacy system, for some reason, even though the campaign is largely Last Bastions of Good vs. Apocalyptic Evil. Boy I sure do love my allies trying to hit me up for money every three turns in return for nothing, and factions only agreeing to military alliances when they are two turns away from going extinct. Your allies get pissed at you when you have armies on their territory. That's how an alliance works, dumbasses.

- And then there's all the random ways to take attrition damage, which is basically just a point sink until you can ignore that mechanic entirely

- Once a CPU comes out dominant among its neighboring competitors, it forms a murderball army and sweeps the continent. C'mon even Civ figured this one out.

- Every faction has at least five cities too many, artificially dragging out campaigns. The amount of Norsca/Chaos tribe cities is loving ridiculous. Food doesn't grow in the arctic and they have an entire lost civilization up there. It also takes too long to siege cities.

- gently caress fighting the dwarves, seriously. Also why the gently caress are the orks like the hardest race to play

These are mostly just Total War problems. Total Warhammer is only saved for me with tons of style and cool fantasy poo poo.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

DrPossum posted:

ME3 was really bad in general. Like ME1 was interesting and new with genuine world building

ME3 had a guy trying to gently caress his spaceship

that's one point in favor of the game being good, now try listing some of its bad qualities

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

fruit on the bottom posted:

The most frustrating part imo was the alignment system.

So the game sets up the alignment system as Open Palm/Closed Fist and even describes at length why it isn’t Good/Evil—Open Palm philosophy is about harmony and cooperation, so you help people but you also potentially rob them of the chance to grow and better themselves through struggle. By contrast Closed Fist is about embracing conflict as a means of bettering oneself. So if you saw someone asking for help, an Open Palm would help and a Closed Fist wouldn’t unless the odds were ridiculously stacked against him or he stood to benefit in some way but not simply out of cruelty. Conversely, a person who decided that they had the power and the right to impose order by force would also be Open Palm.

Of course in-game virtually all the options end up being the basic Good/Evil. The worst example I can think of is a quest where you find a woman trying to escape a slaver.

The Open Palm resolution is to set her free and kill the slaver. There are two Closed Fist solutions:

1. Give her a knife and tell her to kill the slaver and free herself (fits the philosophy perfectly and the only in game example I can think of)

2. Sell her back to the slaver (gives you more Closed Fist points!)

It’s a fine game and all, but it’s such a waste opportunity to set up a nuanced system like that and just waste it.

Of course, selling her back to the slaver creates an opportunity for her to free herself again

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

lol basically every Bioware romance is creepy

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

sebmojo posted:

I actually think the witcher 1 sex cards are better, they're straight up 'yeah you hosed'

Those are actually way worse

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

It's a single picture that briefly fishes on the screen versus excruciatingly long scenes of "tasteful" and "meaningful" depictions of two Barbie dolls loving. the same criticism applies for the Witcher sequels as well

Nah you still get the barbie doll loving, it's just blurry and in the background behind the card reveal. Meanwhile you can take solace in the fact that you're collecting binders full of women

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Verisimilidude posted:

the only kinda decent game romance is in baldur's gate 2, and that's only because it's more story book/bad fantasy novel romance rather than weird pandering gamer romance, where the ultimate goal is to bang and get some 'chievos

In BG2 you can also get a companion pregnant, and have an in-game child that takes up one of her inventory slots rofl

a hole-y ghost posted:

I did not play Mass Effect at all, actually. Is it good, aside from this thread's description?

I only played the first 2 but I remember them being a lot of fun. It's just ME3 that a lot of people had a problem with, and IIRC that was mostly because of the ending, and some people just don't like Bioware games (not me; Dragon Age Origins and ME2 are simply good games imo)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

a hole-y ghost posted:

whats the mass effect where people were making fun of the faces

Andromeda, which I forgot even existed until your post

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Just lol if you think Bioware is in any shape way or form capable of delivering a decent MMO, or even a game with MMO components

*looks at Anthem*
Ohhhh... ohhh noooo, guys.... what are you doinnnnggggg

Counterpoint: SWTOR was actually really good right until you hit the level cap. They had the best implementation of group dungeons I've ever experienced, some of the character stories were very good and fleshed out, their open world stuff was SWG-level excellent, and they kept more bullshit MMO mechanics to a minimum. Like, that game had way fewer MMO mechanics and felt like more of a good singleplayer game than DA:I somehow.

With SWTOR they did a super great job at solving most of the MMO experience, but then the endgame was just standard MMO fare, because making a non-grindy MMO endgame that people actually want to stick around for is a hard problem or something. In fact I think SWTOR's goodness may help explain all of the Bioware games since then have sucked? Like they put all of their remaining talent on SWTOR permanently and everyone else was like "how does i make game" and that's the story of how Andromeda got made

zenintrude posted:

Every Souls game - including Bloodborne - is terrible

Sorry but that's a popular and trendy thing to say whereas this is the thread for unpopular opinions

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Aug 11, 2018

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

PS4 alone is pushing probably 20-25 great exclusives at this point.

lol now there's an unpopular opinion

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

fruit on the bottom posted:

SWTOR didn’t have a group finder for the first eight months. Somehow BioWare decided to ignore every QoL lesson that Blizzard had learned over the years to just start from scratch and learn them all over again.

I recall it having one though, and I only played for the first 6 months. I remember it only matching you in the same zone, not across the galaxy

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I haven't owned a console since the PS3 days and there were so few games that I wanted to play on that that I didn't feel it necessary to buy any consoles since then. Bloodbourne is the only console-exclusive game that I've felt like I'd want to play on the PS4, everything else has been on PC

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

good thing I can play basically every noteworthy game that’s on PC as well on it then.

You can make that argument for basically any console or PC, yeah. Most good games come out for basically everything, and each system (including PC) has a smattering of exclusive good titles

I wouldn't give up Into the Breach for a million PS4 exclusives though, that game is amazing

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

The funny thing is that whenever I get into these arguments on the forums people seem to miss that I haven’t actually said PC is a bad/inferior platform. I just like calling people out for saying dumb things about consoles and people immediately start defending their PC gaming even though I didn’t even challenge anything about it lol.

And no one in the thread is accusing you of saying that, so that's cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

So you'd rather play on PC, the platform who's main selling point is a bunch of unfinished games.

"I'm not saying that's a bad thing!!"