Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Starcraft: Brood War was so good and successful it actually completely killed the RTS genre, including sabotaging its own sequel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Fallout 3 was the best 3d fallout game

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Blazing Ownager posted:

The N64 controller was a crime against humanity and anyone who likes it should be forced to get an adapter for modern systems and play on it again

Their nostalgic memories for that massive piece of poo poo will shatter like candy glass

It's really good at the one thing it was literally designed for: Play Mario 64

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Far Cry 2 was great, maybe the best game of the series (haven't tried primal yet)

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Fartbox posted:

I do like the Shadow of mordor games as mindless fun but I do agree there's zero challenge at all. You can be half asleep and murder the entire orc army basically. There's just no challenge. But, it is still pretty fun to murder them for a few hours before it starts to get dull

It's insanely easy because there's no 'rhythm' to it. You can just mash the attack button and counter guys at literally any point in the animation.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Vegetable posted:

I don't understand the modern love for Mario and other Nintendo franchises. To me it's the equivalent of continuing to play Tetris. Yeah it's classic but at some point you'd think people would get bored of the same thing.

I feel this way about military/semi-realistic shooters. That genre has not really taken a step forward since counterstrike except for maybe vehicles

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

basic hitler posted:

One of the worst things about Pharaoh was that your city lived and died on road placement. In COTN this is solved by... roads basically being cosmetic. At first I hated this, but then i started designing my cities around efficient placement instead of worrying about making grid-like monstrosities across uneven terrain, and yeah man this is nice.

The game is a lot more complex, too. It's cool.

I avoided Children Of The Nile for like 20 straight years, and i got it the other day and it's the poo poo.

I wish they still made city builders like this.

limp_cheese posted:

I tried to get into Children of the Nile but couldn't get into it. I felt the bread as currency was kind of weird and it seemed to be super easy. I really wanted that game to grab me like Pharaoh did.

COTN is legit one of my favorite city builders of all time. The only thing that sucks is managing all the religious needs because every Egyptian god needs their own shrine or whatever and it gets tedious trying to place them all and with good access for your citizens. The food = currency mechanic is a little weird but it works really well. Yeah it's super easy but city builders aren't really known for their difficulty anyway.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

If Sony were smart they would jump feet first into the VR business and make it their main gaming platform. They're already a step ahead of Microsoft (IIRC the xbone still doesn't have VR support?) and Nintendo is clearly expanding towards mobility/portability gaming.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Panzeh posted:

Warhammer's unit rosters tend toward the same lovely good-better-best unit relationships they've made since rome 2.

This is how like every strategy game unit roster ever made has worked fwiw

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

lmao at unironically defending autoaim

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Caesar Saladin posted:

if you leave pc gamers to their own devices they just end up bouncing all over the map like retarded rabbits so they are beyond saving anyway

those goddamn pc gamers :argh:

but seriously, there is literally no reason for console shooters to have autoaim

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

new phone who dis posted:

They have to throw in something when you're essentially getting billed twice for the internet.

lol does xbox still charge money for the privilege of playing online. I remember when I went to cancel my live subscription they literally made me call in and verbally confirm I had to cancel something instead of just pressing a button like every other subscription service

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

a bone to pick posted:

Ps3? Do you want to bring up the Wii's online capabilities as well?

There are widespread reports of hacking on every PC game from PUBG to LoL so I find it funny PC supremacists are going to try to gaslight about hacking on PCs.

I prefer running into the occasional hacker over paying for multiplayer tbh

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Yeah I'm actually trying to remember the last time I ran into someone legit cheating on PC and not just exploiting a glitch and having trouble coming up with an example

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

DogonCrook posted:

Gta online lol. Like come on, acting like this poo poo isnt loving rampant is retarded.

oh i see the problem. i dont play bad games

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

DogonCrook posted:

Lol at yall getting all tribal. It isnt relevant whether its good or not, its the most popular game of all time by dollar sales and cheating on pc is unavoidable in any session. Yall coming up short on thinking of an example of cheating and hacks on pc is pretty cute but yall are full of poo poo lol.

Is it really that hard to believe I don't come across many cheaters? Maybe you're the one getting tribal here because I enjoy plenty of console games.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

DogonCrook posted:

No its not hard to believe if you avoid the games where its bad. Whats hard to believe is that youve never heard of the problem.

You made an assumption. I shared personal experience w/r/t cheating and made no claim that I never heard of the problem. Again, you sound like the one defending your tribe here

veni veni veni posted:

Is it possible that developers and publishers often don't give a half baked poo poo about PC ports because people did nothing but steal PC games for 25 years and then eventually moved on to "I'll buy it, but only if it's a dollar" mentality?

That and trying to make them run on literally thousands of different hardware configurations as opposed to just developing once per console

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Dec 7, 2017

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

DogonCrook posted:

Nah what you said was "oh i see the problem. i dont play bad games". And lol i dont have a tribe im not a nerd. Hers the thing, most people have both and think anyone who argues over this stuff is a miserable dreg. Im just loling yall would make poo poo up to support your worthless console wars arguments.

Guess what, you've argued about this for several posts now so welcome to the misreable dreg clubhouse buddy. I haven't made up anything. Keep trying to pretend you're above all this though.

Meme Emulator posted:

Its annoying enough that im considering buying a xbox controller just to use as a dedicated PC gamepad. At least then I can look down and see which button is B

There's no reason not to have a controller for PC gaming. Trying to play driving/racing games or most flying games with a kb/m sucks

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 7, 2017

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Meme Emulator posted:

No I mean, I have a dual shock 4 that I use but the button prompts not matching is annoying enough to make me consider buying a controller for a console I dont even own

Oh woops. Yeah that'd be annoying af. I can't even use my WiiU controller cause it thinks its a xbox controller but all the buttons are inverted

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

brugroffil posted:

people getting really defensive about their video game machines of choice and video games they like itt

its me. im the guy that reads the unpopular videogame opinion thread and gets mad by reading unpopular opinions

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Das Butterbrot posted:

"some of the most popular FPS of all time are a joke"

- a very smart person

Just because it's popular doesn't mean its good

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

is this what people mean when she got a butt that won't quit?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

PS2 is the greatest console of all time. Only knock against it is that it didn't support 4player right out of the box

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

new phone who dis posted:

I'm sorry but Jedi Academy with the cheat that lets you cut people to pieces still exists.

Jedi Knight/academy was sent from the future to apologize for Force Unleashed

a bone to pick posted:

I brought all my friend who love LoL to heroes of the Storm, they all agree it's better because it's more laid back and their are interesting maps.

The best thing about HOTS is that you don't have to memorize like a dozen item recipes for each character

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

'Horizon Zero Dawn' is a really dumb name for a game.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Remember when Microsoft bundled the Kinect with the Xbox One and basically destroyed any sort of market lead they had made with the 360. That was kinda funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgJqliVWSSg

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Dec 20, 2017

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

should I buy a 3ds, or a switch?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

OMGVBFLOL posted:

do you not have a smartphone?

I do but touchscreen controls are terrible. Also like the vast majority of them are some combination of online-only, free to play, grindy bullshit

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

SCROTO TURBOSPERG posted:

civ 4 beyond the sword is the best civilization. everything after it is swill for babies

this is the unpopular opinions thread

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I avoid playing with mods as much as possible. The only exception is when they drastically change the game (long war) or fix some really retarded game stuff (Traffic AI in Cities Skylines)

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Mandrel posted:

oh yeah, eSports aren’t loving sports. seriously more power to these dorks for figuring out how to get people to pay to watch them play video games but know it is loving weird and they are not loving athletes

it is somehow weirder to me than professional let’s players, where there’s at least some performative personality aspect to it, where the person is actually doing something to warrant watching beyond just sitting and playing a video game.

Sorry sports lost all credibility when they started showing poker tournaments on espn. Playing videogames is arguably more physically taxing than playing with poker chips and mind games

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Magius1337est posted:

the n64 sucked and the psx was the better console

ocarina of time ran at 20 fps on the n64

metal gear solid, tomb raider, and spyro the dragon all ran at 30 fps

the n64 was the best sleepover console of all time. psx was better if you only had one friend sleepover at at time i guess

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Magnitogorsk. posted:

A video game shouldn't have more than 15 minutes of cinematics throughout the entire game

And they should all be skipable and pauseable

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Projectile spam in fighting games is a legitimate and often best strategy

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Jeza posted:

I do not understand how or why Crusader Kings 2 is popular. The game is almost completely non-interactive. I think you could walk out of the door with the game running for an hour and come back and you'd not be disadvantaged in any way.

CK2 gets more involved in the higher-ranking and bigger kingdom/empire playthroughs. If you're playing an Irish minor trying to unite Ireland like most people will recommend you start out as, it can get kinda boring where entire rulerships have nothing interesting happening except your heir getting born. Start as an Italian duke or Spanish kingdom and there's a lot more to do with vassals trying to rebel or Muslims trying to kick you out of spain.

That said, it is slower than something like the Europa games where you have more control of your economy to wage war when you want, instead of having to stockpile gold like in CK2

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

The only thing I remember about Dragon Age is that there would be a literal DLC advertisement standing in your camp every time you set one up. That game was so generic

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I don't like platformers. If the game is mostly about jumping and landing on things like super meat boy I don't see the appeal.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

a bone to pick posted:

actually HotS is the only good moba, not even kidding

It does one really good thing: getting rid of items and having to learn literally dozens of crafting recipes for dozens of different heroes.

Also different maps

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Far Cry 2 owns

edit: well gently caress me for reading this thread before the steam one

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Apr 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

a bone to pick posted:

Metal Gear Solid 3 was the peak of the MGS series, in fact, it might be the only good MGS.

I don't think this is that unpopular except for people who think the Psycho Mantis fight was the peak of their childhood.