Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I think games that let you design your own character are lazy and that 99% of character design in games is dull as gently caress. I don't think this is unique to games either. A lot of Japanese stuff comes close, but actually it turns out that most of the time their stuff is based on folklore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I think "Gearheads" by Phillips was the greatest game that will ever get made.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Chomp8645 posted:

The divide here is that people judge the Souls games on different things. Half the population lives for PvP and other online interaction. The other half treats it as a single player game with occasional coop and periodic but unwelcome PvP. A few crazies are only there for the story.

THE TRUTH:
- The best Souls game for multiplayer is Dark Souls 2
- The best Souls game for singleplayer is Bloodborne

This is so true.

Man, I always forget, about Dark Souls 2 opening weekend, basically the only thing that could ever rival Philips' "Gearheads" (the ultimate game).

No one knew what the gently caress the Rat King covenant was. In case you haven't played DS2, there are several covenants you can join that are generally to do with multiplayer. One of them lets you do the typical invading other players games, one of them makes the game harder, one of them lets you put down a sign to be summoned to help people, etc etc. These were all similar to ones in DS1, so, everyone kinda knew what was up. For the most part, all the multiplayer stuff was either opt-in, or pretty heavily telegraphed.

The Rat King covenant though, was new and weird and amazing.

It was only in two optional areas, leading up to an optional boss. If you beat the area, you could join the covenant, which then let you change the area with lockstones. Each lockstone would unlock a new trap (or sometimes unlock a shortcut, which was bad, but you didn't know what did what, you kinda had to guess). Why put traps / shortcuts in an area you've just completed? Because other people attempting that area, could randomly get sucked into your game. They would then have to run your gauntlet that you had created, and ultimately, defeat you, to get to the boss. Killing someone sucked into your game in this way would give you a fresh lockstone!

Obviously in the days of having the internet, there can't really be any actual 'surprises' in games any more, so eventually everyone knew what was up and would just peace out if they got sucked in, or avoid that optional area. But for that first glorious week, no one knew what the gently caress was happening to them when they got dragged into your rube-goldberg murder run. The 'AHA!' moment of working out what was going on (I never got dragged into one, and only understood once I was already in full on dungeon keeper mode) was absolutely glorious. Whats best, was a lot of the stuff in there was 'corrosive', and the rat gave you easy access to corrosion bombs, not easily obtained elsewhere. Standing in a corrosion trap or getting corrosion bombed wouldn't do any damage, but would break your precious armor / items, which were super costly and difficult to fix at that point in the game. I think actually some stuff couldn't be repaired at all at that point. Not only was the Rat King trap confusing and surprising, it was also genuinely terrifying! I got a lot of hate mail.

It was really fun sometimes to switch it up too, and not actually attack anyone that came in, but instead just cheer them on, and throw them prizes as they completed different bits. I'd do that for people who had obviously made their characters look as cool as they could. Such fun times.

!Klams fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jul 2, 2017

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Chomp8645 posted:

Yes, unironically.

In case it wasn't clear, throw another yes from me on the pile.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Haier posted:

Opinion 1:
Shmups after a certain era became garbage autism simulators. Bullet-hell games are about as strategic and fun as as some ritalin-induced sperg can find (outside of fighting games), but lack appeal to normal-brained people. Games like 1942 were masterpieces of the genre, and had high reply value. I think shmups up to and including the SNES and Genesis were the last of the good ones. "Shmup" is a dumb word.

Opinion 2:
Zombies Ate My Neighbors was one of the best zombie games, though at the time Resident Evil 1 and 2 were pretty good too (but now pretty bad to play). I will automatically skip any game if zombies or the undead are the main feature.

Opinion 3:
EA is loving garbage for many reasons, but a main reason was not putting any of the Skate series on the PC. Hopefully Skate 4 will not be exclusive.

If these are unpopular opinions then we are already dead, and in hell. I'm not sorry. We had it coming. Remember me.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Beastie posted:

I don't like Dark Souls or Bloodborne.

I made it about 10 hours into Souls 1 before I quit, and put about three into number 2.

I got Bloodborne for $10 off of PSN when I got my PS4 last fall. I figured for $10 I'd give it a shot, I just can't seem to like it.

I love the aesthetics of the games, it's the tedious frame counting and dodging I dislike.

I wish I liked them because in my head they sound rad but whenever I pick up the controller I'm just meh.

All of them take about 20 hours before they're fun. This is dumb and bad but I love them anyway.

!Klams fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 9, 2017

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

mind the walrus posted:

This was the impression I got. I always see footage of people with ballin' weapons and the skill to fight cooler monsters, while I'm stuck grinding on skeletons and my coolest weapon is a scimitar. I'm sure variety gets there eventually but like hell I have the time for it.

Also just got my Steam controller based on this thread and the cheap price point. Let's see how it does.

So the reason it gets good is not because the equipment gets better, it's because that's how long it takes to actually get good at the game, and the fun of the game is overcoming impossibly difficult odds and genuinely worrying (won't be hyperbolic and say terrifying) game mechanics (you never really know if it's just about to Dick you over massively and waste all the time you've put in).

So there just comes a point where all of a sudden you feel like an incredible badass, because you can beat all the bastards who've been drubbing you so far, and you KNOW that if you started again from scratch, you could just as easily beat them, without the new armor / weapons, because you've gotten more skillful.

And then you actively look forward to the next mega-bastard, exploring becomes exciting instead of crushingly depressing, because you know you can probably overcome it, but it's still exciting because you don't know just how high the next bar they're gonna make you clear will be. The character doesn't level up, you do, and that feels really rewarding. But, is also kinda super lame. I entirely understand people hating it, it's definitely not for everyone.

Edit:

Darkoni posted:

Hot take on Souls games: "Get Good" is actually the best advice anyone can give you.

Yeah, basically this. "Git Gud" is like the dark souls motto, but it's not the sentiment you normally get for games of like "you suck". It's more like a reminder that there isn't any secret 'trick' or 'gimmick' that you're missing.

!Klams fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jul 10, 2017

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

mind the walrus posted:

Early Access has made me so wary of anything that claims to be Metroidvania. They always always forget to make the engine something fun to play in.

Yeah, me and a friend were making a kind of civil war themed metroidvania but couldn't get movement to feel fun despite some super rad animations, so we packed it in. Just felt like, no matter how clever the game, if moving around isn't fun then everything else will be a chore.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

VideoTapir posted:

Hudson hawk was a good movie.

Never saw it, but the game on the Atari was great, and has loads of cool gimmicks. I wanna play it again, I'd forgotten all about it!

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Anime Store Adventure posted:

The difference to me here is that Dishonored hides things from you. Cool lore bits, absolutely unmissable skills and charms or whatever they are, and I have to search every nook and cranny to find them. Hitman, sure there's exploring and observation, but it's all immediately related to a single and sole goal. You're in a world and you have a task and sure you can find new ways to do it with a little exploration, but I'm not worried about missing a room here or there.

I think I just find it boring and unbelievable that you can slowly whittle away guards and no one notices or enters an area for an hour while you pick apart the level to find gold and tchotchkes. I'm supposed to be a super fast, crazy stealthy supernatural assassin. I shouldn't have to quietly and slowly not kill everyone and then search their bedrooms for the full experience. I know that I don't "have" to, but you're missing out on a lot of stuff that you should be finding otherwise.

If I had to fix Dishonored without uprooting it, it would be to give me the skill upgrades and charms at the end of the level without having to find them and removing money entirely. Refill my ammo and everything at the start of every level. Put skills on individual cooldowns or make mana recharge over time without the lowering the little "max" bar if you use too much. An initial scan of the area and making a plan is fine, but I hate sitting in each new room for 2 minutes to get everything understood and on top of that hunt for secrets.

The TLDR is probably its own unpopular opinion: exploration should be core to the game or not exist at all. Backtracking in FPS levels or stealth games or poo poo for secret rooms isn't fun, and knowing they exist but willingly not looking often leaves you feeling stupid because you might have missed good poo poo.

Wolfenstein TNO/The Old Blood gets a pass on this, because the hidden areas are usually like a 2 second departure from the path and I find 60% of them by mistake, and they don't count for anything but cheevos, if I recall.

I think the problem with it is that as you say, being detected is like 'failing'. I just wish that either they'd come up with a way for you to move about where you don't have to worry about being detected (and somehow have the game still be interesting) OR have it such that when you are detected, murdering your way out is a perfectly reasonable solution that isn't penalized. I think its a bit of a leap to say that you 'have to backtrack through the level' because you have an item that literally lets you see the relevant 'secrets' through walls and makes a heartbeat sound when you're near them. I always find it super frustrating in any stealth games though, the way that any evidence of you doing anything is cause for the ENTIRE map to suddenly become lethally hostile in a way that just ramps up exponentially unless you can ... not do anything for a long time. Like that's not a fun game mechanic, and yet its in every stealth game ever. "Dont play the game for 5 minutes, and you'll be rewarded with being able to play the game again".

Maybe if they just made it so your abilities were absolutely broken as gently caress and fights were just a crazy blood ballet where you murder the poo poo out of everyone without any hope of them doing anything to you, but you only have so much ammo / mana, so you have to sneak around to conserve it. That way you never feel like being detected is a failure, its just another resource to watch. The tension comes from not knowing how long you can go before finding more.

!Klams fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jul 12, 2017

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Vegetable posted:

Video with a large, expansive world tend to feel really empty. The quests are repetitive, places kinda look the same, and there's a lot of moving around, killing the same things..

See, I totally agree with this, and it makes me genuinely not understand why the new gta games are popular.

I get GTA 1, the top down one. There were tons of hidden secrets, but in the new ones, there's very little to discover that you haven't seen 100 miles ago.

At least in fallout (but not new Vegas, don't understand how people can prefer it?) There's actually cool unique poo poo every few meters. Any new building is going to have something interesting about it, and if you wander a little while you'll find something weird.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I'm of the opinion that video games aren't violent enough.

I mean there's no creativity in the violence / gore in most games. Like, fatalities in Mortal Kombat should be the low bar for creative violence. I remember reading about Manhunt, a game so 'violent' it was in the news and stuff. I was reading how with all the different weapons you can do a quick attack or hold down the attack button to do a super violent kill, and reading that one of the weapons was a plastic bag. I was like, "Holy poo poo, what does he do with the violent kill, fist it down their throat? Use it like a dog-poop bag to make a glove and then punch into their guts and bag up an organ, and then beat them to death with their organ in the bag?!!" Nah, he just puts it over their head and they choke. And that's a game famed for its 'violence'.

I dunno I mean its not like I want to see people suffer, it's not a sadistic thing, its just, most of gaming is about killing stuff. It could be literally anything, but its not, its 'bullet goes in head, death animation'. I guess its not 'violence' more like, graphic content that I think is lacking.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

basic hitler posted:

You should get your rear end kicked for sharing this idiot popular opinion

Fallout 1 and 2 do take a LONG time before they actually become the incredible games they are. Fallout 2 in particular has a stupid opening where you have to fight your way through a maze filled with ants that will probably kill you if you try and fight them. It's like one of those super old school games that's just brutally unfair. I guess its a decent introduction to the maxim of 'SAVE OFTEN' which permeates the game, but man. Then when you get out you're in a dumb annoying village filled with lame npc's. It's a really bland opening to such an interesting rich and varied game. God the music though. So good. I'm gonna go look it up now and put it on in the background to make everything I do feel meaningful and threatening.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

limp_cheese posted:

Blasphemy. Kari Wuhrer's tanktop (Red Alert 2) will always be the best.

Yeah, Red Alert 2 with Yuri's revenge (fixed the rush openings a lot) was pretty much a perfect game.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I loved Streets of Rage 3 with Zan and his rollerskates!

I loved the OG Prey with all its fuckin' whack-a-doodle guns. I also really liked the respawn mechanic of having to fight your way out of ghost town, because like, it's not actually any easier than reloading a savegame, its just more fluid and fun. Like, backtracking because I died isn't fun. It's a chore. A game like that, a single player on-rails shooter, I just wanna shoot at poo poo and see the next bit.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I think games are worse these days, because I'm a jaded old fart now instead of a wide eyed teen and whenever I see something new I immediately just work out what it is that it's a pastiche of that I've already seen, rather than enjoying it for what it is.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Dunno if it really made much difference, but one of the splinter cell games would have had somewhat inflated sales compared to how good / well liked the game was, because it had a save bug that let you jailbreak the x box, and install xbmc and stuff.

Jumping on the Dragon age origins was awful train. I don't really see how you could give that game anything other than a mediocre score? So middling. Also, it felt SO bloated, like everything was overwhelmingly colossal in scope, but the actual main quest felt weirdly short? I never upgraded my castle at all despite that being apparently the MAIN selling point, I got like one new horse of a possible 11 billion, I think I upgraded a single piece of armor but never enchanted or crafted anything, I never found ANY cool armor or weapons, so when the end of the game came I was kinda surprised, but using the same tactic I'd been using all game, I loving destroyed the end boss no struggle, and then was told in the ending that the character I dumped immediately and has never had any dealings with was the most important one and that was that. Like I just felt like there was a whole mmorpg going on beside my poo poo rpg that I didn't ever need to engage with at all?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I had more fun in DS2 than any of the other Soulsborne games*, and found BB to be the weakest in the series. I guess it's because the thing I like most is the meta-gimmicks, and bloodborne had the least, save for the moon phase stuff which to me felt like a commercial friendly sanitized version of world tendency.

*-almost exclusively thanks to rat king covenant.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

FoolyCharged posted:

So yeah, telling the player to figure out opaque unmarked mechanics is a crock of poo poo. Theres a reason people stopped doing that garbage.

It's funny though that the Soulsborne series brought it back in spades and was one of the most successful series of games. I think it's why it's such a marmite series.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I see a lot of vitriol for Human Revolution, and at the time peeps ragged on the bossfights a lot, but what really got me was how stupid the map layout was. It made out like you were in a city, implying open world / free roaming, but actually secretly it was a doom / wolfenstein style maze of a map. It felt so insanely stupid to be, that in this game where you can supposedly make any decision, you had less geographical freedom than Bioshock, who's whole shtick is it's rail roading you.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

punk rebel ecks posted:

Bioshock Infinite was good on it's first playthrough. But it really is akin to a summer blockbuster like say Edge of Tomorrow. In which the game comes out, sells millions, then nobody talks about it ever again.

Nah, everyone talks about all the bioshock games all the time. Mostly about how they controversially hate them. I would have agreed if you'd said this about "Singularity". (Which I maintain is the greatest console FPS of all time).

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I guess it's the Avatar of videogames then?

Yes! That's absolutely it! Haha

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I think Goldeneye was a festering poo poo pile of a game, but has such a pedigree because it was most gamers first fps.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Cyber troopers virtual on was a masterpiece

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I like the new God of War, but I think the old ones were better. I wish this one was just the same again but with crazy good graphics, and it's not just because 'WAH CHANGE'. I think essentially, the old games were wandering around murdering dudes by the jillion in fun gimmicky ways, while moving between one gimmicky set piece to the next, with each group of set pieces unlocking some new gimmick. All the gimmicks were tied into Greek Myths in fun, often funny and over the top ways. The NEW God of war is basically the same, but instead of gimmicks, its 'meaningful dialogue'. And like, yeah, this is probably objectively better from like, a 'quality' point of view (I dunno, like a critical eye, artistic merit etc), but actually the "murdering dudes by the jillion" isn't as fun now, and because there isn't a Greek myth themed gimmick at the end, but instead a progression of a meaningful dialogue, I'm actually not as excited to get there. Like, there's only so many plots (is it 11?) y'know? No matter how great the story is, it's going to be something I've seen. Give me gimmicks any day.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Mordja posted:

Call me a square, but the Bioware romances always weirded me out because you're essentially playing your party members' boss, so there's that power imbalance. Unprofessional, imo.

They always weirded me out because it makes out like for any other person, there's a correct line you can take and they'll gently caress you. All feels very incelly to me.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Nothing else I have ever done in any GTA game is as fun as shooting people randomly and then seeing how long I can fight the police before they take me out. And that's really what you do in a lot of games. The storylines are just a bore, and the series' tragically misplaced and growing obsession with realism has turned into the world's worst racing game.

See, for me, that was fun for a bit, but what was actually fun in grand theft auto was finding all the cool weird poo poo. Like finding the ice cream truck missions and the remote control car bombs and the tank, all that poo poo was awesome, but more so there were just tons of cool secrets. Like I think it's on the very first level of gta1? There's just a green car parked on similar green grass. It's weird enough that you realise it must be a 'thing', but inconspicuous enough that you feel clever for noticing it. You get in, and just hold accelerate, and the car zooms forward for ages, narrowly avoiding trees, zipping between buildings and down alleys and finally hitting a jump that land it in an otherwise inaccessible scrap yard.

I find the new gta games so devoid of all that chill stuff.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
All the early Zelda games were loving trash.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

I only didn't say all Zelda games are trash because I haven't played the recent ones, as the old ones were trash.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I know it's beating a dead horse at this point, but I really feel like super hexagon is art.

For non art related bad opinions: the new God of War is way way worse than the old style ones. It tries to have its 'dark souls esque' style and eat it's GoW heritage too. Massively to the detriment of both games it's trying to be.

!Klams fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Aug 27, 2018

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

What the gently caress? how are you so wrong about everything?

/other edit: Turns out the real answer to the above is: "because I drink too much and am dumb as a box of hammers" and all of the below is shite.

I can't quite garner the tone of this, but I'll take it at face value for the sake of replying.

At the end of one of the GoW games, there's like a bonus section of 'arenas', a bunch of fights with stipulations like "win in under a minute" or "no powers" or whatever, and it's a nice extra, but I couldn't be hosed ever completing it, because it wasn't that fun. The game had been designed to play a certain way, and then these restrictions didn't really factor into that design, so it felt like "how to cheese it: the game". And that's perfectly fine, it's just a bonus section at the end.

In the new GoW, up until now it's done a great job of pretending to be open world, giving me the impression I've chosen to go one way, but 'could have' give a bunch of others. Up until now, when it's plonked me into the 'arena' bonus section, only it's a mandatory part of this game. There's even a boss character from the dark elf universe here in the fire universe. It doesn't make sense from a story point (I'm sure there's some hand waving later though, because Kratos forbid they acknowledge it's a game ever, this story is so HEAVY and compelling it would be a mortal sin) and it isn't fun from a gameplay point. It SHOULD be fun, I've just got a bunch of new abilities, and is the first real solid "fighty" bit. Only instead of "summon a huge ball of Spartans" or "throw lightning bolts" or "freeze time" my abilities are all like, "swing your axe in a semi circle ANTI clockwise after a parry" or "hit an enemy EVEN FURTHER away after a successful parry" or "follow up with an axe attack after a successful parry".

the game is obviously great and that's why I'm being over harsh on it, plus I keep playing it hung over. But I exclusively played the old ones hung over. I dunno, if you tell me it's me that sucks I'm 100% willing to accept it.

Plus, super hexagon is obviously art, it's got hexagons and Chipzel and flowstates for days, and basically nothing else.

/edit oh poo poo that was really overly long

!Klams fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Aug 27, 2018

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

bradzilla posted:

Muspelheim is actually 100% optional you doofus

Haha is it? gently caress, I checked my quest log like 4 times and still managed to cock it up? Alright, fine, game is great and Im a crow eating poo poo.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

TheScott2K posted:

Hearing people rave about Goldeneye in the 90s as a PC haver felt like I was taking crazy pills

Yeah, like, Quake, Duke Nukem, Alien Trilogy all came out the year before, Blood and Quake 2 came out the same year. Goldeneye was so clearly worse than any of them, it was weird having all my friends raving about it?

/Edit: Man, went to go and look at other FPS's that had been out, I remembered Alien Vs Predator on the Atari Jaguar being pretty good. Hot drat. That game came out in 1994, and looks way better than I'd have expected! The Jaguar was like, fake 64 bit right? I guess like Beta Max and the Dreamcast, it didn't catch on and we ended up with worse tech as a standard. Was it super expensive? I don't really remember why it failed. I guess I'll go google it.

!Klams fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Aug 28, 2018

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Shibawanko posted:

Phone games like bejeweled-style things can be perfectly entertaining or even clever. Not all of them even try to rip you off that badly and can be completed just fine without spending anything

Bull poo poo.

Name one?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Shibawanko posted:

I'm playing "Days of van Meowogh" which is a game in which you're Vincent van Gogh, except he's a cat and you help him paint cat versions of famous van Gogh paintings... by playing a bejeweled clone, except it has some clever puzzle elements thrown in like destructible blocks or blocks that grow back and so on. There's a funny little story mode about a bunch of rear end in a top hat cats who bully him at every turn and you try to make his life better. You can spend money or watch ads to get more powerups but it's really not necessary to win the game.

It's not exactly a fantastic game but it serves its purpose as a decent game you can play by tapping a screen and in quick bursts.

Do you 'lose' often? I was playing a game I thought was cool and good that had a similar style to bejeweled in that the puzzle was 'randomly generated', except that I discovered that even with perfect play you would lose sometimes, but if you bought a power up (via ads or money) then when you used it the game would basically cheat in your favor and turn total losses into wins. Since I noticed it so definitively in that game, where they obviously had the parameters turned up too high, I've become wary of any games in that style, since it's almost certainly a technique used more surreptitiously on them all.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Shibawanko posted:

You get 5 lives that regenerate every half hour, I only run out of them if I play the game for like 20 minutes straight

Yeah, this right here. It's 100% gaming you. Like, done properly, you can't tell its happening, such that you could say, whats the difference, with true random it could just fall that way anyway. It just really really bothers me if it literally doesn't matter how well I play a game, I was either doomed or destined for greatness regardless of my talent. And, especially so with these little time-whiling games, it shouldn't really matter. I just ended up feeling like it was so inconsequential as to be the same as just watching a video playing of something that wasn't interesting or informative, only I had to keep rubbing it with my thumb.

!Klams fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Aug 30, 2018

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

tango alpha delta posted:

If I glance at the clock on the wall while I'm playing a game and hours have flown by, it's a good loving game.

Weirdly of all the hundreds of games I've played (I wonder if ive reached a thousand? Probably actually) the one that did this the most was Outcast, that voxel game. I don't think it was super great, and I didn't even finish it, but I just remember starting to play it, then looking at the clock and it was basically night time?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

tango alpha delta posted:

Yeah, it's almost as though Valve trusted their audience to explore the world Valve had built on the players own terms. Absolutely masterful storytelling. I'm completely baffled as to why this type of narrative isn't used more often.

If you watch the dev commentary stuff, you quickly realise it's because they totally 'didn't' trust the audience, and rightly so. They would play test bits over and over with randoms, and if they walked into an area and looked left when the cinematic was to the right, they'd move the cinematic over to the left. It's a bit like supermarkets, and how there's a TON of research gone into the layout, so much so that you shouldn't ever notice. I think it's probably more work and effort than most teams have available to do it so well.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Away all Goats posted:

Real Time Strategy games was a good genre and I wish they would make a comeback

Yeah, I was thinking about this the other day, and while I know really that Starcraft 2 holds the crown, I'll always think that Red alert 2 with Yuri's revenge was the absolute pinnacle of the genre. I think about a new rts, and I just think I'd probably rather play Yuri's revenge instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I think Skyrim and The Witcher and basically anything where you'd expect a dragon to show up are loving boring trash. Yeah, "Lord of the rings", more like "BORED of loving everything about this played out shitshow". High fantasy is so loving DONE. Like, you can have loving ANYTHING, ANYTHING can happen, because its fictional and there is magic.

A new game comes out that's got magic in it. Is there a magic spell that folds reality on itself in such a way that it exposes the Eel-Ghost dimension, and the ghosts of eels take flight from it finding home in peoples limbs, giving the victim an intense thirst for ocean water, and when they draw near to the shore, the limb severs itself, leaps into the waters and swims off to grow into a gravity-absorbing blanket of fleshmass that writhes along the ocean floor, creating hard to navigate waters where the ships bob strangely like braying horses? No, is there gently caress as like, there's fireball, invisibility, and enchant sword. And of course it's a loving sword, because lord knows anything like 'having your fist encased in a cube of iron decorated with a different rune on each face that you clobber people with' is just too loving much, no just swords again for me please.

Who are these people? Well, they're short, so obviously to a one they're all gruff Scottish blacksmiths with a short temper who don't have an affinity for magic and live in a mine. You know, like us humans, who are to the very last 'middling stats, jack of all trades master of none'. OH WOW I'M SO HYPE FOR THIS NEW AND EXCITING WORLD. Christ.

Just one time, could the dungeon end with a loving freshly killed giant pig, it's body all bleeding from various orifices as its flesh writhes and wriggles as the rat-skeletons who operate it from within like a big meat puppet drive it to attack you, occasionally jumping or falling out, and trying to bludgeon you themselves? Or you come to the end of a dungeon and there's just a stream, but you go to drink from it and it starts moving about through the ground, trying to encircle you, sometimes whipping up out of the ground at you like a snake, until eventually you damage it enough and it takes flight, leaving a trail of water through the air that freezes and falls, and this ice is the only thing in the world that can turn ANYTHING Hungarian. No, it has to end with a dragon, and dragons are clever and like gold and are loving dull and have lots of hitpoints and armor despite just looking like a lizard, but its dragonscale, which is rare and makes for good armor. gently caress I hate dragons.