Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
I'm playing on normal difficulty and this game is hard, although I think I missed the shotgun so that might be part of why. I just got the psychoscope, and right now I'm traveling through GUTS with just about no ammo except for the gloo gun and the toy gun (that I can never successfully distract enemies with). I'm half-tempted to go back and dick around in the easier areas until I have more ammo/weapons/mods, but I feel like I might be a little too far, and the purple shock dudes killed me 10 times while I tried to get to the Psychotronics area and I don't want to try to go past them again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

aniviron posted:

The game definitely starts off hard and gets easier. If you're hurting for equipment exploring is generally a good idea; as the plot advances the station gets more dangerous as you do, but if you spend a while not advancing the plot but gearing up you'll be better equipped to face stuff.

I'm definitely enjoying the game, but I think I might have to start over. I got the shotgun late, never found the gloo gun ammo plan, and now I'm hanging around the crew lounge with no ammo and low on health. I started out playing the game more like Dead Space instead of System Shock, so I think I gimped myself. I tried to go back and the main talos area has a bunch of bad guys and a nightmare lol.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
I started over and I'm having a great time. I'm taking way more time to explore as much as I can as early as I can and I'm trying to be a lot smarter with my neuromod and ammo use.

I'm pretty sure I might be able to explore most of the map without even playing the video in Morgan's office.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
I played the whole game without sprint sliding at all after the first tutorial prompt.

Kontradaz posted:

Were there any 0451 stuff in Mooncrash?

Yes, of course.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

BBQ Dave posted:

Does anyone use lift field? What’s the point?

Fall damage is actually pretty significant.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

mods change my name posted:

If it's the one for that escape pod up on top (if that makes sense) you can use it for a real quick failure ending thing. I think you get an achievement for it. Just maybe save before you do it. I don't remember it spoiling stuff or anything crazy like that.

There is one line that is only slightly spoilery because it doesn't make sense if you haven't finished the game yet, but otherwise you're exactly right. There are a few goodies up there at least.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The game is too harsh with respawns and should be not played like a metroidvania given the lack of fast travel.

I thought so too on my first attempt, but then I found out that with very few exceptions, new enemies only spawn on story advancement. Once you get to the Arboretum, you have access to almost everywhere.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
I'm the person that's played SS2 dozens of times but never used psi powers.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
I'm sure I've tried them out a time or two but it just always seems like a huge investment to get any of the useful ones, and carrying around the psi device takes up space where a gun can go.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Artelier posted:

So I just found out that Phantoms respawn. Or maybe spawn randomly. Turned the corner before they started muttering to themselves. :tif:

Have you figured out what they say yet? It's actually kind of cool.

it's any of the npc dialogue throughout the game, randomly chosen and distorted

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

wyoak posted:

Yeah I think I blew way too much ammo early on before I recognized the scarcity. At this point I generally don't use ammo (other than some Goo) on the base phantoms but I am still up a creek against telepaths and stuff. Maybe I should start over

That's exactly what I did on my first playthrough. I gave up at around the Arboretum and started over. It was worth it.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
Interesting that this has VR support!

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

SwissCM posted:

Another oft-overlooked immersive sim is Alien Isolation.

Use the VR mod if you want to immersively simulate making GBS threads your pants.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
Currently contacting Bethesda support because I can't even start up Typhon Hunter without an error code appearing when logging in. I desperately hate when games force you to register with 3rd party servers.

Also laughing at the idea of Prey being a niche game, and then Mooncrash being an even more niche game exclusively for fans of Prey, but had wanted a different experience all-together, and then Typhon Hunter being an even more niche game only given to people who buy Mooncrash.

I'm waiting on the next update in a few months that only 3 people will ever play.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
I wanted to chime in and say that I've been playing through Mooncrash and it is phenomenal. Like really- if you haven't played it yet, do it now. The description of it sounded weird to me, but it really just works well and is intensely fun and satisfying to figure out. It has all of the solving-mysteries aspects from the sidequests in the main game, but with a twist that you may only see one side of the story per run. The layered stories between the simulation and the 'real life' character's world are really cool too.

I do wonder about what kind of person would ever run low on points though. I didn't think it was possible until I watched a Let's Play, and the guy bought a full inventory of starter pistols and 9mm ammo after getting killed once.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah. It's easily the best weapon in the game. It stuns most enemies, making them unable/less able to attack you and increases the damage they take. Those enemies it doesn't stun, like robots, it does a lot of bonus damage towards, such that it is a one-or-two shot kill on all operators, turrets, and technopaths, iirc. I think there are only two enemies immune to it: telepaths and the Nightmare, and I'm not positive about the telepaths. (Also telepaths get utterly wrecked by psychoshock so it's less of an issue).

As a bonus, it gets ridiculously ammo-efficient with some upgrades. Oh, and early on it makes it easier to hit enemies with thrown objects from ambush since it keeps them in place.

Telepaths briefly get stunned, but wake up as soon as they hit the ground. If they are already on the ground, the stun lasts longer iirc.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
Mooncrash is good, and fun.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Farrier Theaks posted:

Why the heck can't I get into it :(

Mooncrash took me a few false starts before it clicked with me. (To be honest, so did the main game)

Every restart is different, but they don't tell you that every big game restart is different too. The schematics that it gives you are randomly generated, so my first game I didn't get the neuromod schematic until the point of no return for me, and I had to use Joan's ability to get them earlier. So some people in this thread will tell you the game is easy, and they are right because their game was easy, because it gave them everything they needed early. Some people say Mooncrash is brutal, and they are right because the game forced them to be resourceful to get around challenges that the other group doesn't even know about.

Anyway, Mooncrash really started to work for me by the time I unlocked the janitor. That's when I realized that the story aspect is actually pretty impressive, and that it takes viewing an event from a few different perspectives to get close to the truth (it's all a sim, so a best guess at the events is the best you can get). I started to piece together what happened to the characters, and in what order the events probably happened, and I went searching for backstory. It's a clever trick in that regard, because it's exactly what the "main character" Peter does.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Mooncrash questions:

1) You get up to five “lives” for each run. Does the map change geography between runs, or is the layout always the same?

2) I saw a Poltergeist try and yank a gun out of your hand in Mooncrash, but that didn’t happen in my vanilla game. Would that change in the vanilla game if I owned mooncrash? (I am guessing no.)

1- geographically no, but there will be changes that get more significant as you progress. Mostly environmental, but you'll also see stairs or hallways either destroyed or not, randomly.
2- no, mooncrash has extra things like that and the different turrets that do not translate back to the base game, sadly.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
I've gotten pretty good at Mooncrash. I usually try to stay at corruption level 3, as it has the slowest timer and you don't have to deal with Nightmares. I was using Claire, and I killed the Moon Shark in the Crater, then went to Moonworks, where I killed a second Moon Shark.

Then I went up against a telepath, and was having fun burning him with a modified elite Boltcaster when he ran away. He came back... with a third Moon Shark, and I died.

Perfect roguelike. A+

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Kibayasu posted:

It was a while ago so I don’t remember the exact layout or the difficulty I was on but the second time I encountered it in my very first game was entering the bridge from the arboretum. It just waltzed out from the bridge right in front of me so I didn’t have much choice but to start in on the shotgunning. I died once, reloaded, killed it the second time. Wasn’t as hard as I thought so I just started shooting from then on.

It's weakest to the shotgun, so you actually did the right thing the first time.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
Corruption 3 is the best to stay at for risk vs. reward, and how long it stays there. The trick is that as long as corruption doesn't increase, enemies don't respawn. It gets pretty easy once you realize that.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I looked at those control module things in the tower, but they seem to be lit up green and don't have the slots open like they would if a module was missing, nor is there a prompt to open those slots up, so I don't know what I'm missing with the towers or control room.

Yu's mission goes into how to do it.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
just lol at starting a character in Mooncrash and purchasing anything more than a jetpack

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Basic Chunnel posted:

Like the core game, the DLC gives you the option of breaking it over your knee. You’ve ample opportunity to supercharge your characters and keep the threat level at 1 if you really want to. Hoarding points gives you an achievement

I like that you can set the difficulty yourself by how much you purchase at the start. Do you want a full arsenal, or do you want to start with nothing?

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Synthbuttrange posted:

I had some fun but a lot more frustration. And after that ending I just uninstalled the thing, no matter that I hadnt completed mooncrash

Hey so Mooncrash is such a different gaming experience and has nothing to do with Morgan Yu. You're doing yourself a huge disservice by not playing it. It's a truly unique game and a ton of fun.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
The ending sucks, but only because it boils an entire game of decisions to one choice. It starts out great and then it turns into fallout 4 right at the end.

My hot take: the DLC is better than the main game.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

ToxicFrog posted:

No needles doesn't sound at all fun, though.

It very much relies on stealth. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORZKtHlTLzI

Speaking of stealth, it's one of the least utilized aspects of the game.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Phigs posted:

When does Mooncrash get good? Like it's fine now but it's nothing special from the base game because it doesn't seem to have started really doing its thing. I've just escaped for the first time with the first dude, second time playing for reference.

By the time you unlock the janitor. That's when it really gets fun and starts to click.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Phigs posted:

Okay, so the mooncrash timer is not oppressive but it's also not good. They should have just added triggers for higher corruption in the game instead. Each section you visit and each escape ups the corruption for instance. As it is now I largely ignore the timer itself, but the presence of a timer makes me rush more than I'd like. Moon shark can also eat a dick. It's balanced to the point that it's not really worth fighting normally so I used to just sprint through the crater and emp the typhon gates and now I just start every game with some tentacle grenades so I can insta-kill that idiot. I kinda like it now, prepping for enemies brings back some nethack feelings, but I think you run into it too early so you develop a hatred for it before you figure out your options. It needed to be deeper into a run.

I just gained access to the security officer's story so I can unlock the janitor. I'm enjoying it but it's also disappointing. It's a really good proof of concept and makes me want something else like it, but between the Prey combat and some bad balancing decisions I'm not completely sold on this specific iteration.

The easiest way to deal with the moonshark is to kite it and don't worry about it. If you haven't noticed, enemies don't respawn until the next corruption, so you can also kill it and use items to keep yourself in the same corruption level and not have to worry about it again the whole playthrough for any of the characters. I found level 3 to be my sweet spot, but you can keep it as easy as level 1 if you buy enough items beforehand. the real problem is when there are two moonsharks in Moonworks

I personally didn't like Mooncrash too much until I unlocked the janitor. Then it all fell into place and is my favorite game from last year. The surprise to me was how interesting the story was, not necessarily in it's depth, but in how you have to actively piece it all together. It's some sort of next step in non-linear storytelling that I had never quite seen before.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

ToxicFrog posted:

:whoptc:

Even in my first playthrough (where I took Necropsy, relied heavily on all kinds of guns, and fabricated a bunch of ammo), exotic was always a more limited resource than metal, by far. And while you can get them "with just psi power" (once you're far enough into the game that you can reliably squish anything you encounter and have either completed the psi-water quest or have reliable access to a science operator), you do run out of enemies eventually. I definitely never had anywhere near 100 exotic. What the hell are you doing that results in such a huge exotic surplus?

Nightmares are never-ending.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

DreadCthulhu posted:

1. Are there any side-quests that are "must haves" when it comes to the story? Some of the side objectives are just a few extra resources, so not really worth the time unless you're min maxing, but others seem to actually add a lot to the plot.

Non-plot sidequests that are worth it:

-There is one in the power plant that puts psychedelic drugs in the water supply.
-The golden gun is fantastic.
-The treasure hunt gives a good bonus, but you can just google the solution and get the reward.

Plot relevant:

-Do any favors that humans ask you to do.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
Now do Mooncrash and tell us all about it.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
Sounds like the game was built for you!

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
Level 3 is perfect because the timer is slow as hell, there are enough big enemies that you get lots of 'free' hourglasses, and the difficulty isn't so bad. I usually keep it at three and never buy hourglasses, although I believe I did craft a few in a pinch once. I had to learn this though because my first game I didn't get the crafting recipe for it until almost competing everything... The rng can force some interesting choices.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
So I have a HP Reverb (wmr vr headset) and was finally able to login to typhon hunter and transtar vr. I just played around for a little bit in Transtar VR, but the visual fidelity is pretty insane. It's really cool to be standing in Morgan's office in VR. I think I just need to set up the controllers properly because it was definitely made with Vive in mind.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

dishwasherlove posted:

Was thinking about rebuying Prey on sale on PS4 just to give the VR bit a spin in PSVR. Is it more than an hour of content?

I finished all 3 missions with Transtar VR and it's about an hour worth, depending on how fast you solve the puzzles. I haven't tried typhon hunter yet.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

OzFactor posted:

Never mind, there was another door. I thought there'd probably be another way in.

There are like 4 different ways into that area.

edit: 2 doors, 1 maintenance hatch with 2 entrances, and I think a hole in the ceiling as well

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
One nice thing about this game is that it gives you faceless alien enemies as antagonists so there isn't the big moral issue that most immersive sims give you. Kill away!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
I was in a similar situation when I first started. It was very frustrating and I ended up restarting the game. On the next playthrough I made sure to explore as much as possible before heading to the next major objective and the game became a cakewalk.