Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I posted on an internet forum, once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Too bad that wasn't the only time.
If this was NeoGAF, I'd be legally obligated to reply with a 10mb reaction GIF.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Nate RFB posted:

That said it would be nice if some megathreads like ... P5 (allegedly at least with the TL stuff) could not descend into madness all the time.
It can't be helped.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Link should be a klurf.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
(△) HATE COPS

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Ometeotl posted:

Don't yell at the dog.
Nobody with that many dirty dishes can ever be truly considered a good boy.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I heard about this when they were doing the initial location tests a few years ago! Very weird.

It's basically Left 4 Dead 2, but all the survivors are replaced by a new, Japanese-speaking cast, all the cool zombie gore is disabled and there's a big-rear end time limit to force you to shove more coins in. Also it's controlled by a Razer mouse and a Wiimote-style nunchuck.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
It's not the first time I've heard about it. IIRC motion sickness concerns were the reason Hideo Kojima put off adopting a proper 3D camera until MGS3 Subsistance, because he couldn't even play Counterstrike without feeling unwell.

Help Im Alive posted:

Did the Japanese release of Persona 5 have the streaming ban too/was there a backlash
Yes. The Japanese version of Puyo Puyo Tetris also had similar restrictions put on it that thankfully weren't bought over to the English version.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I am once again in a depressive rut where I want to play video games but I can't make myself play video games.
I've been playing a lot of Downwell recently. It's really good!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I used to have two Happy Meal transformers, one of a burger and one of a milkshake.

https://twitter.com/Sorcerobe/status/850697253220044800

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

• I wish Valve, Blizzard and Riot would ban teams sponsored by G2A from competitive events
Riot outright banned G2A as a sponsor in 2015, although this was probably more due to people selling LoL accounts and boosting services on there or something like that rather than anything else.

I don't know about other eSports stuff, but Valve is working on a system for developers to add their game directly to a curator's Steam account without any keys needed, specifically to stop the impersonation scams that Rami complains about in the PCGN article linked by Junior Jr.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
David Cage's only good piece of game work was the soundtrack to Time Cop on the SNES.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOrU0NuV17E

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

MinibarMatchman posted:

LOL of course it's NeoGAF, the IQ of that place is shocking
NeoGAF is a beautiful and unique treasure, like a wildlife reserve, except for the bit where wildlife reserves shouldn't get bulldozed to make way for SUV factories.

From a discussion of a pretty good interview with Microsoft's Phil Spencer, where he talked about delaying Project Scorpio from a 2016 release so as to allow for better hardware than whatever Sony was preparing:

quote:

This is the most interesting part for me, because I had always wondered how everything broke down with Microsoft and the Scorpio and Sony with the PS4 Pro. Remember, Phil essentially announced the Scorpio off the cuff about a year ago at this time, which was before we knew about the PS4 Pro. Shortly thereafter, news about the PS4 Pro leaked.

I had always assumed it was some amount of corporate espionage at work, and that Microsoft wasn't ready to develop a new console, but Sony forced their hand. If we take Phil at his word, then the facts were slightly different. I still suspect that there was corporate espionage at play, but I think it's possible that the espionage revealed that the "2016 Scorpio" would have been too similar to the PS4 Pro. So instead of going forward with that plan, Microsoft decides to delay a year and come up with something considerably more powerful, but to get ahead of Sony by announcing Scorpio before the PS4 Pro was revealed.

This is all speculation of course, but I always thought it was strange how everything went down between the reveals of these two console revisions.

quote:

No Sony had ideas for the PS4 much before anything about Scorpio/Neo was even mentioned or leaked - For example, there are ideas such as releasing a standard PS4 and a high performance PS4

quote:

Ideas are not announcements. Everyone has ideas. People talk a lot about their ideas. Nothing is official until it is announced, and Microsoft announced Scorpio as a thing before Sony revealed the PS4 Pro, despite Scorpio coming out one year later.

And honestly, whether Sony had discussed plans in 2015 for a possible upgraded PS4 isn't even relevant to my point. My point is that Microsoft may have used corporate espionage to get PS4 Pro specs before it was revealed, causing them to scrap plans for a 2016 Scorpio and focus on a 2017 Scorpio.
:psyduck:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

GUI posted:

I love fast paced shooters and last gen was hell for me. When I close my eyes I still remember all the cutscenes, forced slow walking sections, on-rails sections, turret sequences, 2 weapon limit, identical enemy types, constantly waiting for NPCs to open doors for me......... :smithicide:
It's okay, things have changed. Now the biggest, most popular FPS in the world has a ONE weapon limit! :haw: :suicide:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Kai Tave posted:

Who's the game designer that talked about how he'd love to make an "open world" game that's basically contained to a single painstakingly detailed city block? Because that honestly sounds pretty rad. Now watch and it's gonna turn out that was Peter Molyneux or something.
It was Warren Spector.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

On a lighter note, Noclip put out the Spelunky documentary and it's wonderful, it's great to get the background on the game and all aspects of it.

Clocks in at a whopping 58 and a half minutes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv434Xyybqc

This is actually the conclusion to a series of videos NoClip did about mysteries, and the games that had them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2g_0QQRjYY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlverBrf8Hs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dC1rRdo0TbM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdSdvIRkkDY

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

I don't know anything about that stuff, is that a big difference compared to a PS4

What about gaming PCs
It's an absurd amount of RAM, but devkits always have more so that they can load debug and analysis stuff alongside the game being tested.

The retail unit will have 12GB GDDR5 (four more than the PS4 family).

Ultimately though, specs don't matter a huge amount compared to what is done with them. I'm curious to see Microsoft's E3 lineup this year... and even more curious to see how much of it is out three years later. They kind of have some bad habits to break there.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Forza Motorsport 7 is at least guaranteed, an early build of the game was recently shown off to DigitalFoundry. That build was playing at native 4K and 60FPS. Otherwise Microsoft currently has nothing known in the pipeline, so hopefully they are just keeping it all a secret until E3. I hope Halo 6 is announced at least.
The demo they showed (basically a lot of AI cars going around a track in the rain with fancy evening lights) was based on Forza 6, IIRC. They spent like two days putting the demo together, and it was running at like 4k 60fps without breaking too much of a sweat until they cranked the graphical settings up to a little past the PC version's Ultra settings (Basically they turned LOD off so every car was the highest-detail version. No retail game will do this, because it's a stupid waste of system resources, but when you're swinging your dick around...)

corn in the bible posted:

It means exclusives will be loving gorgeous, but sadly there aren't that many of those. The GPU power is more relevant for running crossplatform releases (it doesn't disappoint there either though tbf)
Microsoft's gambit this time around seems to be trying for "the best version" of multiplatform games, figuring that hey, everyone else is already handily juggling versions for PC, PS4, PS4 Pro, original recipe Xbone and Switch, what's another build/set of visual setting presets on top of that?

Whether that works out beyond just having more dots on the screen faster is really gonna depend on how much money they throw at publishers and indies, and between Sony having a pretty big head-start in that area and Nintendo both being a lot friendlier towards indies this time around and selling more units than the Bible, it's going to be an interesting watch.

I like watching system holders react to being on the back-foot. They come up with interesting solutions.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Apr 16, 2017

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://twitter.com/HappyHarryToons/status/853730921266257920

Nate RFB posted:

I guess Ground Zeroes has some unlocks for TPP? That's kind of lame, I wanted to just run through that ASAP and get into TPP.
Here's a list of everything you can unlock in TPP by accomplishing stuff in GZ.

Nina posted:

I gotta hand it to Gravity Rush 2. The final boss design is pretty Drakengard
They just announced a Nier Automata costume thing for GR2. Yoko Taro's grasp extends in all directions.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
MGS5 in general felt like something of an over-correction in response to the criticism MGS4 received over having cutscenes where you could go down to the shops, buy some bread and fillings, come home, make a sandwich, and eat it just in time for gameplay to be handed back to you.

Hopefully Death Stranding is once again able to find that magical balance between wonderful gameplay and wonderful Kojima insanity, and why yes, it is strange that I'm arguing for less gameplay in a videogame, why do you ask?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mordja posted:

Except that it was made by a different 2K studio, and while I'm sure there was some kind of revenue-sharing in place, I imagine GB didn't get the lion's share of the...profits?

haveblue posted:

Since Borderlands 2, they have released:
Right, lemme see...

Borderlands 2 DLC was farmed out to a number of studios, including such prestigious names as "the Duke Nukem Forever guys".

Development of chunks of Aliens was farmed out to like three other studios, at least one of which went bankrupt in the aftermath.

Pre-Sequel was made by 2K Australia (The Bureau) in-between closures.

Homeworld Deserts of Kharak was made by Blackbird Interactive, who I know nothing about but apparently they did a thing with NASA at DICE 2017 so I guess they aren't dead.

Duke World Tour was a weird collab between Gearbox, Nerve Software and some ex-3D Realms people. There was a lot of fuckery surrounding that release and you'd have to search far and wide to find someone happy with how the whole thing went down.

Bulletstorm was done by the fractured, broken remains of People Can Fly after a lot of the talented people left to form other studios like Flying Wild Hog and The Astronauts. The credits aren't on Mobygames yet so I don't know how deep Gearbox's tentacles delved.

The blame for everything else cannot be deflected.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

corn in the bible posted:

Captain Invictus is a poo poo person
Speaking of key-peddlers of questionable repute...

https://twitter.com/tha_rami/status/855016806129557504

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Gearbox opened a secondary studio in Quebec around about a year ago. They're probably doing better than you'd expect from their recent string of flops. The benefits of saving up all that Half-Life and Borderlands money, I guess...

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

precision posted:

it's definitely great and not dumb that satanic panic eventually/inadvertently deprived american gamers of like hundreds of great SNES JRPGs
Should've lived in a PAL country. Then you wouldn't even know what a JRPG is and as such wouldn't be as upset.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

This reminds me that I should do a writeup about Jaleco's horrendously localized Rushing Beat series sometime.

When you localize a game so poorly that you accidentally break it, it's pretty impressive.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

What was your first video game?
Probably one of these:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZW0A3zFUTU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-Qum5LMyMI

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Dad was totally into RPGs. I spent a lot of time just sitting behind the couch watching him beat the PS1 Final Fantasies.

Mum played the absolute poo poo out of Dr. Mario on Gameboy and - for reasons never quite understood - Bubsy 2 on SNES. Nowadays she limits her gaming to hidden object games on iPad because they don't take too much of her attention away from the TV and, I quote, "they're so poo poo, it's hilarious!".

Both parents and most of the extended family were obsessed with Wolfenstein 3D and spent a good few years loudly pushing against blue pixellated walls. I had to get it from somewhere, I guess...

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
These are for a strange article on Platinum's Japanese website's fluffy "magazine" section, about, uhh, learning English through the Bayo games.

I mean, I'm sure something's bubbling up, but I wouldn't start going crazy just yet.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I'm actually pretty impressed with how Sega Europe have managed the promotion around Bayo PC. They clearly didn't have a huge marketing budget, but they've gotten massive reactions out of it and it's clearly doing pretty drat well for them.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Palpek posted:

It's the food at Mcdonald's that makes you feel like poo poo. It's all garbage, the only things that give it taste are the sauces. I'd rather go to a legit burger place where they get fresh meat every day and the vegetables haven't been sitting in the freezer for 6 months.
Alternatively, make your own McDonalds, except gooder!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

The Colonel posted:

they don't need to bring back hideki kamiya. he doesn't want to work on devil may cry, or any sequels to games he's already directed, and he's even stated in the past that he thinks itsuno is the perfect guy to keep directing the games. let him keep throwing poo poo together at platinum, preferably without what he throws together being an awkward mess that gets canned again
A while back Kamiya said he's open to working with Capcom again... as long as it's not on the Resident Evil 2 remake. He never got the chance to play that game "for the first time" since he headed it up, and he's not missing out on this chance!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > A Blizzard Subforum > April Foot Fetish Chat Thread

Anyway, Duck Game is doing a free weekend on Steam. How's the netcode in that? I wanna give it a spin while it's free, but the friends who'd want to play it with me are interstate at the closest and on the other side of the planet at the furthest.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Wamdoodle posted:

Anybody post this yet? Not Puyo Puyo Tetris and old but still Tetris:
This is the series typically played at the GDQs. It's horrifying, isn't it?

I believe Arika is trying to bring a remixed version of TGM3 to the west, but it's a difficult process due to dealing with both publishers in general and The Tetris Company, who really like licensing out exclusive rights to all consoles, or all mobile devices etc. to only one publisher at a time.

Cowcaster posted:

whens telltale sam and max season 4
Steve Purcell is doing a lot more at Pixar nowadays, he probably doesn't have any room to breathe anymore before supervising another videogame.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Ostentatious posted:

I am video game streamer *verb for upset* *average white person name* and this mediocre game is "a shitload of gently caress!!" (Buy the shitload of gently caress shirt @my etsy
This post is sponsored by TwentyCentRazorsAndAudiobooks.cn, go there and enter the code SHITLOADOFFUCK for 0.25% off your first purchase!

Vaguely on this topic, the recent spate of Internet Video Professionals upset that the Youtube Ad Revenue Money Bubble is starting to pop a little are pretty funny, especially when they start talking about making their own video sites that will be cool and great and rival Youtube!!!!!!!!!! as if that hasn't been tried by far larger, better-financed groups with varying degrees of failure over the past couple of years.

Maybe I'm a pessimist, but I suspect a similar bubble-popping will occur with Patreon in the next couple of years due to regulatory changes/the company doing something dumb as Silicon Valley tech firms are want to do/a flood of idiots begging people to pay them for their Minecraft let's plays and sub-Deviantart drawings of wassername from Nier giving Goku a handy (circle one).

Given this, the probably-not-decreasing adoption of ad blockers, and legal change from the bizarre political scenarios developing around the world, it's gonna be an interesting few years for trying to make money on the internet...

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

I will never understand people who spend hours watching other people play a video game, let alone paying them to do so. It's like your controller hog friend who kept saying "okay now watch me do this" for two hours straight on Donkey Kong Country except now you're watching an obnoxious stranger do it while screaming obscenities.
I don't "watch" Twitch per-se, I usually just whack it on my other monitor while I work on things, glancing over when an interesting or funny thing happens. I mean, I could whack Netflix documentaries or something on that monitor instead, but Netflix is for actually paying attention to the screen, y'know?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

hmm, maybe stuff will get announced today. maybe.
Nah, pretty sure it's just a cute nod towards good times past. We're close enough to E3 that you shouldn't expect any major announcements before then.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah e3 hits first week of june right? any ideas what will be shown? kinda hoping for new wolfenstein.
Sony: All the stuff they teased last year, except less of a tease. Also, CoDWW2 and Death Stranding.
MS: Scorpio reveal + launch titles, and a bunch of first party stuff that might even get released at some point.
Nintendo: Who the gently caress knows? Nintendo E3s are always weird.
EA: Battlefront 2, Need for Speed, FIFA... probably some Battlefield DLC and a token indie publishing thing, too.
Ubisoft: Assassin's Creed and probably something weird and/or mildly embarrassing.
Bethesda: Two reveals hinted, possibly new IPs. Would be very surprised if Wolfenstein and The Evil Within don't poke their heads in...
Square-Enix: I dunno. Probably more info on the FF7 Remake.
Konami: An exciting new Parodius slot machine for the Vegas market, and an exotic new Policenauts pachislot with animated scenes powered by the FOX Engine.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

tap my mountain posted:

My money is on them announcing MGS6 with a very short teaser showing solid snake, probably voiced by Hayter.
They still have Metal Gear Survive in the works, don't they?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

I'm hoping for Horizon DLC reveal and maybe the next Tomb Raider in addition to the stuff that is already known. Pie in the sky HEXEN reboot from Bethesda.
Hexen is owned by Raven, who are on the COD chain gang and haven't been allowed to make a game of their own since they ballsed up Singularity super hard. Also, Hexen has aged very very poorly indeeYOU HAVE COMPLETED ONE SIXTH OF THE PUZZLE OF THE APRIL CHAT THREAD

Help Im Alive posted:

Can we come up with a better name than walking simulators for those types of games
"(name)'s Level Design Portfolio Piece"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Grapplejack posted:

So who's making the may thread?
I haven't MAYd one before, but I can give it a shot!

• Locked thread