Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Autism Sneaks posted:

having seen every Johnny and Spike at my LGS go through a KCl phase I can safely say that the deck should be neutered with extreme prejudice just on the basis that it's boring as gently caress and has robbed folks of what add up to literal days of life

The best part of KCI being such a hard deck to play is that you know a good pilot of it has spent dozens of man-hours learning how to be the absolute worst kind of human being, so when people bring up the argument that targeted bannings hurt invested players, this time you can just mutter 'good' and nod your head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
KCI decks take 10+ minutes to resolve a turn which might NOT end a game in an era where most competitive settings allow decks 50 minutes to play three games.

KCI is almost completely non-interactive, both ways. It’s almost impossible to interact with in a meaningful way once it gets going and it doesn’t even bother try to interact with it’s opponent in any meaningful way other then ‘kill you.’

KCI only exists because of rules holes that most players don’t know, making interacting with it even harder because most people don’t know how or where you can even ATTEMPT to meddle with it (often fruitlessly, but hey you tried)

Even most pros are botching finishing plays with the deck because of the exploits in the rules the deck floats in. The only thing worse then watching KCI spin it’s wheels for 10 minutes only to not get there is to watch KCI spin it’s wheels for ten minutes only to not get there because it’s pilot flubs an interaction. This leads to players playing slower so they don’t screw up which no god no why nooooooooo

So you’re stuck watching your opponent play solitaire Magic with a hand full of interaction that can’t actually interact with them and even if you win it’s probably because you caught them screwing up eight minutes into their turn, which you gotta watch the whole way because you can’t just assume you won’t get bamboozled if you just check out while they go about their business.

KCI combo is cancer to play against, horrible to watch, and frustrating and draining to actually play. The fact that it’s hard to play has little to do with why it has to die.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

UnfurledSails posted:

I love drafting so far, but I don't know what to do with all the cards I have from them. I'm thinking about building a deck so I can play some casual events or in some standard events in my lgs, but can you even build a good constructed deck out of M19 alone? Or I can just find a way to sell my mythics to pay for even more drafts I guess

Depends on your store. Some LGS are filled with people buying up chase rares and running internet decklists, but most are more likely to have folks who are slowly assembling a pet deck, running easy to build stuff like mono-color beats, and sleeving up piles of jank shaped vaguely like a T1 deck one expansion ago because most people who play the game don't sit on mountains of cards or are willing to throw hundreds of dollars at their hobby every couple months (and even many who do often don't have the time to sit and practice their deck enough to completely crush a scene with it.) This current Standard is more likely to have the latter then the former because it seems like half the top standard decks are just chase rares stacked atop each other in a sixty card pile (and thus out of the price range of a vast majority of players) and the other half are ones mere mortal decks can actually interact with using normal cards and not massive bombs, even if the win percentage is going to still be in their favor.

If nothing else, don't be afraid to sleeve something up and give it a try. A couple of my favorite constructed decks at the local play level came from random draft junk starts. And if that doesn't work, sell stuff for more drafts.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Aug 7, 2018

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Reynold posted:

I just started playing Magic again after like a 15 year hiatus, having sold all of my stuff way back then. I have no real interest in going to events, keeping up with the net lists, or spending a ton of money, just playing games with my friends. After looking at all the formats, I decided I would stick to standard since it is newer and cheaper, and I would like to try brawl as well. I like the idea of a rotating format. I looked at pauper, but I feel like that can be too restrictive. The idea of spending $1k on a deck of cards is laughable to me. I'm not making GBS threads on people who do, it's just that for me, Magic is basically like a board game night thing I do, it's just not that big of a deal.

If you're just looking for a chill time to play Magic with some friends and don't want to throw down a bunch of money at once, think about setting up some Sealed or Draft nights- everyone brings $12-24 worth of booster packs, builds some decks and plays some games. It's honestly probably the cheapest and purest way to enjoy Magic. Dominaria, full-block Amonkhet, and Unstable are all really good recent draft/sealed formats and shouldn't be too hard to track some cards down for right now. I'd avoid Ixalan block and M19 as draft formats.

Pauper isn't restrictive at all in terms of cards. The bigger problem with Pauper is that new sets are contributing very little to the format, there's a very small number of commons that are just head and shoulders better at being the centerpiece of a deck then most (since most commons are made to be deck filler, not deck features) and now that it's getting the spotlight and thus under scrutiny, it's becoming increasingly 'solved.' The first player in your group that sleeves up a version of Ninja Delver or Tron is going to be the table villain for a long time because those are a pair of decks that most cards at common just... don't deal with particularly well.

I would be wary about considering Standard as the 'budget' Magic option, but if you're not going to be playing in any kind of serious competitive scene you'll probably be fine. Standard is only cheap until you remember that every three months come new cards, and most decks will need at least some financial investment from the new sets to stay competitive, if just to acquire new sideboard tools to be able to deal with decks coming out of the new hotness. Keeping Standard-current can cost you more in a year then building a Modern deck if your interests lie in the kind of decks that involve keeping up with Standard-legal special lands or chase rares- especially if those cards have any application in non-rotating formats. If Brawl suits your fancy, godspeed, but it's turning out to be a format with problems unique to itself (being a singleton format with a small pool of cards means problem cards often have far fewer ways to answer them, and the ruleset is still being hammered out so stuff keeps changing in the format outside just card rotation) but I haven't seen much in the way of live Brawl play- almost anyone I know with interest in Brawl would rather just play EDH/Commander.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Dehtraen posted:

Seemed like it was featured a lot yesterday. It could be some sort of coverage decision? That being said the deck is fun to watch “go off” once and then every subsequent time it’s just someone churning through their deck while the only actions their opponent takes is cutting their deck after Nexus of Fate is shuffled in or moving permanents to the exile pile. When the deck loses the matches are not very interesting to watch as well. Add in the fact that it seemed like each player was using proxies created by the judges of the card which prompted a lot of trolling / fake confusion in the chat - and would generate legit confusion with new players - you get a less than positive viewing experience overall.

It is 100% being avoided on stream. Between how long it can take a 'done' game to finish and the fact it's involving a Standard legal card you just can't get. I don't think Wizards wants to show too many games involving Turbo Fog until they can just hit Nexus with the next ban/restricted announcement. Around RtRtR's launch.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Tainen posted:

If by “can’t get” you mean I can’t go buy 400 booster packs in hopes of opening four copies then yeah. There are hundreds of copies for sale on TCG player and MCM though.

Looking at MCM it is strange that there are a bunch there on sale for around $9 while they are closer to $25 on TCG player. I guess if you don’t mind non English copies that is the way to go.

That's basically what I mean. You can't just walk into your LGS and ask for a pack of any sealed or official product and get a copy. You can only get it in singleton from a reseller which, I mean, is how most people trying to build a T1 deck is going to get their cards anyways but it's still a bad look for WotC. There's also not going to be any more until WotC can figure out a supplimentary product they can slip them into (I would not be surprised if Nexus of Fate comes in this year's holiday giftbox or something.) I'm not sure how many there are in the wild, but if pros are still running decks with proxies there has to be enough of a scarcity problem that people who want them can't get them in a timely enough manner to have them for the big events.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Tainen posted:

They are not running proxies because they can’t find copies. They are running proxies because the card is only in foil and they don’t want to get a judge call for having a marked card if it is warped in any way. They have to present all their copies to the head judge before the event who then issued them the proxies.

Huh, I'd heard it presented as a supply problem, but if that's the case, my bad then.

I mean, WotC is still gonna have to address the rest of the issues of Nexus, but maybe it'll get past Ban/Restricted if people will be able to get them. I'd sell 'em soon tho because they're still gonna figure somewhere to squeeze them out for the rest of the problems the card's providing by it's existence.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Sampatrick posted:

I will never understand why people try to play multiplayer Magic. The game just does not support that kind of gameplay at all.

Like most games, it's only as good as the players. Get a chill group who are all building decks around the same level and you can have a good time. Especially if they're into the social side of it and you get a table where everyone's wheeling and dealing and alliances are shifting and nobody's taking it personally or making it personal.

I mean, it all breaks down he moment some guy brings a Zur deck to come fight against a table of a barely-modified Edgar Markov precon, Reyhan/Ikra +1/+1 counters, and Sphinx Tribal lead by Azur. Or some asshat starts whining every game about how they're getting ganged up when they deploy their entire hand by turn 4 into a board wipe the other two players are invested in seeing go off because of course they are you dumped your entire hand by turn 4. But that's why you make a group THEN play commander and not just sleeve up your EDH deck and try to jump in at a random table.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Turbofog won't survive rotation - it loses one of the titular fogs and the manabase for one of it's primary colors. It might come back in the next set, though.

Turbofog is dead but Nexus might find another home- Nicol Bolas and Teferti are both natural partners for the card and are probably going to be big players in whatever the next format is. If there's a big control deck that features either of the two, there's a non-zero chance Nexus becomes part of that deck's wincon.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

AnEdgelord posted:

Teferi is second only to JtMS and even then you could probably make some strong arguments that Teferi is better.

Untapping two lands is insanely powerful and gets even more powerful when you have better lands to untap (like in older formats).

Is it weird that I think Teferi's more likely to be a player in Legacy/Vintage then Modern?

Like, I just feel like he's just too slow to come down for Modern and way too likely to die to already on-the-board threats at that point but the way most Legacy games play out if he resolves he's far more likely to just go ham and a deck that just wants to cast Teferi is more likely to get there at a point where there's still a game to be won.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

ShadeofBlue posted:

The biggest problem with IMA wasn't the content (although some people were upset that after prices dropped, the value in the set wasn't very high, but that's stupid because the whole point is to lower prices). The problem was marketing related. Players assumed that "iconic" masters meant that they were reprinting the most iconic cards from old sets. This was reinforced by Imperial Recruiter and Mana Drain being spoiled early. Turns out, they meant "iconic" as in "iconic creature types." I literally thought that was a joke, but MaRo gave that as a straight answer on his blog.

Iconic Masters was a hilarious joke and an surprisingly good draft format if you didn't have to play triple price to pay into one, but nobody is going to give like the next three Masters set the light of day now unless they reprint Tabernacle or something after that one.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

ilmucche posted:

Why is Karn liberated not banned? The restart the game stuff seems like the kind of mechanic that would be awful for tournament play. Isn't expected that if you're in a position to use it you're already far ahead enough that it would be bad?

More or less. If you're in the position where you're going to get real equity out of the game reset with Karn, you're probably already somewhere between 'ahead' and 'really ahead' anyways and popping the reset is pointless. And on the fringe case where you're going to get an advantage you don't already have (somehow) on a Karn that's managed to reach +14, it's... probably not going to be a long game.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
My stance on WotC’s reprint policy is why did you break Colossal Dreadmaw’s streak with Dominaria, you monsters.

He’s just a sweet boy who wants to top the curve of my green limited decks. You even brought him back for score M19 so it’s not like you were ready to say goodbye to him yet. What staff member has a grudge against my good friend CD so I can request their head on a pike?

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Sickening posted:

Isn't the rarity % of decks incredibly skewed towards rare and mythic to a ludicrious degree? Isn't rare far and away the biggest % of a deck and has been for a while? If you designing cards in a set to makeup such a huge % of the constructed playable to be rare or better your new player experience is going to be pretty lackluster.

Yes, but that’s been the case ever since Rare and Mythic became spots where they print straightforward superior cards of power and cost instead of esoteric instants and sorcerers, potent artifacts that do straightforward things instead of stuff that did inefficient and weird shenanigans, and stat-efficient creatures of all CMCs instead of mostly expensive beaters or low cost utility. There isn’t a need for deck filler anymore because you can build a deck entirely out of rares for just about any playstyle with cards that are straight better for the job then things at lower rarities.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

ilmucche posted:

There are an awful lot less 4-ofs in magic than I thought.

Edit: u was taught if it's good enough to want in the deck. You want to see it as often as possible

You want 4 of basically any card that makes your deck go that isn't a total disaster if you draw it without something else. Aggro wants their most efficient beaters and removal, control wants their cheapest counters and draw spells, etc.

Answers, combo pieces, utility spells like card draw, and important cards that require setup all tend to be run at less because they're 1) Competing for space with each other, and 2) Are of varying importance depending on what you expect to face. Strong, fairly universal answers that are cost-efficient tend to be 4-of, and everything else varies on how important it is, how much room you have to run it, and it's difficulty to cast.

The deck above is absolutely a pile, but even piles can win if they're built well enough and have enough going in between the pieces- hell, one of the top decks in Legacy for a while pre-Deathrite ban was basically a four-colored pile of nonsense that just won games through value and Leovold.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 18, 2018

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
I mean, in most other professional communities, asking 'was this a shady dude?' about nearly all of your colleagues is probably a worrying sign.

It probably still is, but only in that they default answer is 'yes' and these shitters should just enshrine which ever one of them got the sickest plays on the others and didn't get caught at the time.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Magic the game is fun but everything about playing it at a level above ‘card shop brewer’ is terrible because WotC is invested in Magic as a business, which causes them to make decisions bad for Magic the game to better support Magic the Business. Which, I mean, if the latter goes we’ll lose the former too so whatever but I wish fortitude, thick skin, and a healthy disposable income on any who wish to try to go ‘real’ competitive.

I mean, the only thing more depressing then watching a bunch of Magic Ubergoons throw each other under the bus for an award to make a sub-minimum wage lifestyle more tenable is listening to MaRo’s design podcasts because listening him get super excited about card design then hear all the joy creep out of his voice when he has to tell stories about how he didn’t get to do a thing because Corporate and listen to those stories shift over time to him stopping himself and others from doing things because he slowly had the evil beaten into him, which is like watching a sick man slowly waste away to nothing in a hospital bed.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Part of what makes a combat truck playable is the format. Most formats Giant Growth isn’t a card in constructed because there isn’t a green curve-out beat down deck, or at least one not better served with another creature instead. But when paired with infect as others have mentioned...

It goes the other way too- right before Theros’ rotation, there was a mono-black Aggro deck with a Warriors theme that was making the rounds that was running Touch of Moonglove of all goddamn cards in the main deck specifically because while the creatures were there to make the deck go, the cheap removal at the time was particularly bad and poorly dealt with many of the format’s bigger problem creatures (specifically Siege Rhino and Wingmate Roc) coming down before closing out a game. So Touch was basically used to let people attack into fatties profitably and push the last couple points of damage through.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
I'm pretty sure WotC would move more product if Ben Stark promised to never play the game again.

AlternateNu posted:

There was also a period where Aspect of Hydra was a two of in most Mono-G Devotion decks because it wasn’t uncommon for it to give +6 or more.

e: Theros/Khans era had a bunch of combat tricks that saw play in at least fringe decks- Titan's Strength was in almost every red beatdown deck of the era (arguably a fixed Giant Growth for red- that Scry tacked on was huge for Rabblemaster decks) and Gods Willing and Ranger's Guile were sometimes in the sideboard of W/G Devotion and R/G Monsters respectively to protect important targets (Whisperwood Elemental and Xenagos God of Revels being the most likely target in either deck) And, of course, Temur Battle Rage in any Red deck that thought it'd get to pop both parts of it.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Aug 25, 2018

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Rinkles posted:

don't remember past hof ballot seasons getting this ugly. normally it was limited to one or two questionable dudes. this year it seems every candidate left someone bitter.

I wonder how many people just handed back an empty ballot.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

PJOmega posted:

So I'm traveling and hit up a store for FNM that I'd been to in the past. The players were okay last year, but none of them were present. They'd been replaced with the most neckbearded, mouth breathing idiots I've ever seen sign up for a paid event.

During the event, I noticed my opponent had a lot of premium red and black removal. Which is weird because I was sitting to her right and was on black/white. She straight up says "oh yeah I drafted most of this last week."

Call for a judge (store employee), explain what happened, and they say (paraphrased) "oh you can't do that. But we can't fix it now, so finish the game."

How do you even address that level of idiocy in person?

I mean, it's time to get your money back because if they're gonna let their opponent freeroll you with cards from outside their draft pool there's no real point in actually trying to play. I'd also avoid that store in the future if you travel to the area again, I guess. At this point the dude should be an auto-DQ, and while it's real unfortunate to anyone before you that didn't know this, that's no excuse for letting it continue NOW when you know.

But it sounds like that's not the case so just leave, I guess. I mean, all you can really do is give a report and avoid it in the future. That's lovely but eh.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Looks like Convoke is back. I wonder if we’re gonna each guild might see a new and an old mechanic or if we’re gonna stick to one per.

I could see Izzet getting either of their old keywords but I’d place more money on Replicate then Overload due to design space. I figure they’re less likely to get a new keyword then the others since they have two that can potentially be good without being broken.

Dimir is either getting a new keyword or stealing another from elsewhere. If they want to stick to a version of a Dimir that still focuses on Discard and Mill, maybe one related to a card entering the graveyard from a zone besides the battlefield. Or maybe just use some of the technology they’ve developed since then to let Dimir pull a psuedo-Madness on cards they mill/discard from an opponent.

Boros... is probably getting something new, but I can see Battalion coming back too. If the guilds can steal mechanics from other sets, 100% Boros is getting Dash. Other then that... *shrug*. I dunno.

Golgari will get Scavenge almost entirely because at this point WotC probably can’t trust themselves to make a new graveyard mechanic that isn’t broke as poo poo. Or maybe Flashback or Threshold. Definitely gonna probably be something ‘safe’ here.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 28, 2018

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Could Delirium be worded to look at an opponent's graveyard rather than just your own? That would go great with a guild that wants to lean on mill and discard, and the name even fits with Dimir from a flavor standpoint. Might be too soon after SOI block though.

It could, but a Delirium that’s require types in your OPPONENT’s graveyard is probably untenable since you can’t control what’s in your opponent’s deck. It’d have to be a mechanic that’d care about doing something with the card removed if you want a mechanic that uses it’s opponent’s ‘secrets’ against them.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

whydirt posted:

Apparently skulk has smaller design space than they thought it would have at first. At least that is what Maro has claimed in his blog.

I mean, it's really just one of four things-

-Otherwise vanilla creature with Skulk
-French Vanilla creature with Skulk and another keyword that works with it (ie, not Trample)
-Skulk creature that does something when actually blocked
-Skulk creature that does something when dealing combat damage to an opponent (since Skulk is an evasion mechanic)

I guess there's a fifth

-Character that has Skulk and does a thing that's otherwise completely unrelated to Skulk.

It's an evasion keyword, and it has the design space of... an evasion keyword. Hell, maybe the most 'fair' evasion keyword ever printed. They could reprint everything they ever though was interesting enough to put Fear or Intimidate onto besides anything that cared about big power, and there's a bit of play in Skulk that, say, Fear never had (specificlly, pumping your opponent's power to get your dude through unblocked, something that DID win me a couple games in SoI Limited) but it's at the tradeoff of that anything with more then, like, 3 power with Skulk starts to look kind of stupid. They could Evergreen it and I'd only be given pause simply because it'd take a lot for a Skulk creature to ever be constructed-relevant entirely due to the built-in subclause of 'is small' but I'd be shocked if it came back as a set mechanic again.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It was pretty unpopular, apparently. I'm guessing because it's zero-sum. Similar mechanics they've done since then like Evolve give you a net increase in power. There wasn't a great payoff to it unless you happened to get a bunch of Cytoplast Root-kin or Doubling Season or something. It doesn't help the guys with Graft were pretty underwhelming. Five mana for a 3/3 that can fly for even more mana. Or it can make others fly if I move counters. Wow.

Just looking up graft cards made it pretty clear why the mechanic wasn't that great, holy cow.

Graft isn't a bad mechanic but it naturally doesn't lend itself to much since it basically involves making new stuff more powerful at the cost of an existing thing, and while there's design space to play it, it's both dangerous (think of a Graft deck in the same standard as Vine Mare and Carnage Tyrant and despair) and very hard not to do without overcosting the graft creature (because it's technically UNDERCOSTING the next creature or two that gets graft counters dumped on them.)

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
I wouldn’t be surprised if guilds sharing keywords was part of the third set, honestly.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Threshold was one of my favorite mechanics back in the day and I'm kind of bummed that it will probably never get a comeback with some refinement or new features. I don't feel like keeping track of the graveyard is THAT difficult in most games and I feel like threshold allows some interesting stuff w/r/t game states and static effects that might be too powerful or unwieldy otherwise, but I guess that goes against the "NO BAD FEELINGS" mindset of R&D these days.

Threshold is probably dead, but Rivals of Ixalan gave us technology to do 'fixed' Threshold through Ascend, so there's that.

The real thing that'd hold back Golgari from getting neo Threshold, is, ironically, probably the existence of Dredge in Modern and Legacy. It's probably too easy for some decks in the non-rotating formats to just shunt half their deck into the graveyard and call it a day. At the very least, neo Threshold would be about as underpowered as Madness' return in SoI or any Revolt card not named Fatal Push in Aether Revolt because what OLD formats could do with the mechanic. Old rotten Golgari fucks over new age Golgari yet again!

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

ROFLburger posted:

Guys. I played against this deck last night in MTG arena and I got absolutely murdered. It was physically painful. https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/standard-uw-control-50768#paper

I was playing my traditional style monogreen stompy deck and I've only been playing magic for a month or so and I had no idea a deck like this existed. The guy had zero creatures and just kept drawing cards and preventing me from having a good time. I have a bunch of thrashing brontosaurus and a couple naturalize cards for dealing with enchanements and artifacts but I really still had no options against this. I guess this is why people mix in Scrapheap Scroungers and stuff like that into their decks? How the hell do you deal with a deck like this?

Be faster, have stuff in the sideboard to specifically fight against this. Especially right now, your single best option against something like this is probably Vine Mare and a whole lot of the game plan is probably finding a way to land one through the countermagic and not get it Settled by making it hard for the opponent to keep four mana up through the presentation of other threats. Or have another difficult-to-remove beater like Carnage Tyrant waiting in the wings (and your sideboard) to drop after your opponent taps out removing one threat.

The big problem is that U/W is gonna be pulling a lot of cards so if you can't get them quick enough you can always assume they're going to have an answer for what you want to do in hand, so you really need to bolster the low-end of your curve to hit harder against U/W and be less blown out by getting 1-for-1'd by removal- cards that make multiple bodies or give some immediate effect instead of just beef.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Boros sounds interesting but there is a zero percent chance Mentor going to do anything in constructed. Between having the keyword and having to be bigger then what’s attacking with it, the odds of a Mentor creature besides a legendary Mythic Rare (and maybe a new Gideon) being costed low enough and have the other stats and keywords to see even standard play is probably non-existent.

Could be a limited all star though. Or even a Limited oppressor- making early game cards relevant again is an easy way to break a format.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Some friends and I are looking at having a casual "league" to have an excuse to get together and play, $50 cap on deck cost, and maybe playing for ante just for giggles, we haven't decided. It's sort of going to end up being our poker night, is the hope. We're looking at having Pauper and Legacy banned lists, or some combination thereof. What would you build given these restrictions? My first inclination is some variety of high tide deck. I think one of the other organizers is pricing out astral slide.

I’d assume a variant of U/R or U/B Ninja Bear Delver would probably be pretty easy to build and not break the bank. Not having good fetches for shuffles hurts but bad fetches can probably sub in without too much trouble against $50 cap decks and a lot of the cards that make delver-type decks go are either cheap or can be subbed out for cheaper replacements.

There’s always reanimator, too- there’s always good targets for cheap due to not being Gristlebrand so not getting played, and cheap ways to fill the yard. the actual good reanimation spells are the tricky one for the cost but I’m sure there’s some overlooked ‘good enough’ cards.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Jumpstart makes Firemind's Research a lot better for many reasons, but it's still so hilariously underpowered (probably due to Constructed concerns, although I can't imagine a constructed deck getting any millage out of that card as printed either,) that I have a hard time seeing a normal-power set making use of it in limited.

Like, what's the 'good' mode on it? You have to cast five other spells to get to Fiery Conclusion something. Not even, like, a free Fiery Conclusion, but the privilege of finally getting to tap 1R after five goddamn spells to deal 5 damage. I guess if it draws you 4-5 cards over the course of a game that's cool but you'd need to be built to grind and there'd need to be enough good Jumpstart cards that casting 8-10 instants or sorceries after playing Firemind's Research isn't just going to roll over to whatever Selesnya or Boros are up to.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
It'd probably be safer to just reprint Snapcaster, and the only reason I'd really hesitate (that already exists) is Settle the Wreckage. The bigger concern would be giving non-rotating formats a SECOND Snapcaster Mage.

If you're really going to do a nerfed version, I'd probably start by just wrecking the body and making it multicolor so that you're not getting the endless value of a useful body and giving it to every Blue deck ever printed.

UR
Goblin Wizard
Flash
You may give target Instant in your graveyard Kickstart. Exile that card at the end of the turn.
0/2

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
I mean, Chandra is a Indian-as-hell name, and while I don't THINK Nalaar is a real-world surname it sure sounds like one too. Like, it sounds like the name of someone that'd come from Kaladesh except then you see her and then you have to wonder if the Nalaar's pool boy was Scottish with pale, freckled, red-headed Chandra born to the very Indian Pia and at least dark-haired and tanned Kiran.

But yeah, the real reason is that she's not-Jaya first, and a representative of a plane that was probably a speck in WotC's eye maybe fifth and somewhere between making Chandra and making the rest of Kaladesh she kinda became one of the faces of the game.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
To be fair, after seeing Firemind’s Research, we should have figured common Jumpstart was going to be costed like garbage. This is basically as expected.

Gonna have to wait for the full card list to see if they actually do something with the mechanic besides ‘bad Flashback with possible upside in Reanimator.’ Some of them will see limited play because any useful spell you can play twice is probably worth an extra mana symbol in most limited formats that don’t just get you run over for trying it but.. I mean... I see you there, Boros.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Hot Take: 1/1 Flying Lifelink in the colors of Convoke and Mentor is probably going to be the best a 1/1 Flying Lifelink has ever looked in a limited set.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

smertrioslol posted:

I like this card a lot. Probably better than glimmer.

It's really not. Scry 2 is a lot, and can basically serve as a Draw 4 sometimes when you throw two cards that weren't what you needed to the bottom. Forget if your deck actually cared about the energy.

Glimmer was steal as an instant at 4 but that was almost entirely because the scry AND the energy was worth the extra mana. The ability to pay it's cost a second time and pitch a card to pull two more cards makes me hesitate a lot harder and this will probably see much less play and only if there isn't better options at instant. Which, I mean, there currently isn't (at least not Draw 2- I'm not sold this is actually better then Anticipate or Opt unless your deck only really cares about volume of cards actually drawn) but I expect to see Chemister's obsoleted before it rotates.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

This would be more interesting if either side of this is attached to a different split card. Copying spells is rarely worth the extra card and mana investment (if it's your spell it's rarely worth the extra card and mana, if it's the opponent's spell most of the time you'd rather just counter it then mirror the effect) but when it's good it can be really good. Meanwhile, while UURR is generally way too goddamn much to have to invest before even seeing anything out of the other side I could see it being an interesting option to have for a game running long for U/R Wizards or something as a way to blow a thing up and get some fuel back in your hand. Both of these are options I would be cool to have attached to a spell you're more likely to cast but, well, since they're stapled together it's just a junk rare unless something really wacky goes on with Standard.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Limited plants. The more control-oriented ones like Dimir will probably be happy to run one to ramp and eventually sac for cards- as long as the format isn't so fast that you're going to get run over for spending turn 3 playing a mana rock, they'll be ok. (I see you there, Boros...)

These are worse for splashing then Cluestones since you need four colored mana symbols to crack them for cards but you'll still probably grab ones in your splash color if you're running a 3+ color deck just to have a colorless way to fix. Unlike Cluestones, the cost to crack for a card is also prohibitive enough that I can't imagine running more then one in anything but a dedicated ramp deck.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Her +2 could be good with all the recursion and token-making Black/Green is going to have in the current standard (Vampires from Ixalan, Saprolings from Dominaria, Zombies from Core 19, Golgari in general in Guilds) in a deck built to work around it, but her -3 is just... it's bad in Standard, right? -3 to kill a CMC 3 or less card is just not good equity even on a walker with a +2, although it'll probably still see use with stuff like Search for Azcanta fluttering about.

And in any format where her -3 is actually relevant (and her four-mana cost makes her at least potentially playable,) her +2 just ruins it I can't imagine a B/G Rock deck in Modern that would want to throw away on-board permanents for a card and a chance to restock their Vraska's loyalty.

Her ult looks cool and +2 means that on a board Vraska controls when she comes down she is absolutely a threat to pop it. I guess the real problem is if Chainwhirler keeps any kind of token deck from emerging in standard because without that shell's ability to keep an on-board presence Vraska a) does not protect herself terribly well and b) does not have the food to make her +2 good.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Sep 12, 2018

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Elyv posted:

Pirate Vraska reads as a walker who could easily be super good post-rotation yeah. I don't play Standard but I suspect the reason she didn't see much play before is because she lined up badly against the premium threats, and basically all those efficient and resilient threats are rotating except for Rekindling Phoenix.

She didn’t see play because she’s six mana. To see play for six mana, you need to do a lot more then make a single dork or blow half your starting loyalty as an overcosted removal spell. Especially in a format with Glorybringer and Heart of Kieran.

She needs to threaten to take over the board by herself and she’s not going to do that because Wizards remembers Sun’s Champion and it’s two year reign of terror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

If the power level isn’t there then cards from earlier more powerful sets will just fill that gap instead.

Well, yeah.

But those sets are XLN, RIX, DOM, and M19.

So I'd wager Guilds is about to completely dictate what are the dominant strategies for Standard. Or at least the dominant strategy for any deck not running Teferi.