Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Pontius Pilate posted:

“As both a player and a product manager, one of my favorite things about Magic Online is the Spotlight Cube Series (formerly "Cube Spotlight Series").”

how many meetings did that take

nothing gets people more excited than the phrase "as a product manager,"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Dehtraen posted:

Wotc loves to assemble these graphics with data that they’ve handpicked to confirm that the format is in a great spot and balanced. Reminds of that PT graphic where they had multiple versions of the RB deck separated out so that RB didn’t take up 35% of the metagame.

it's also a "weighted average" aka the numbers are completely made up

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Nukes to Saudi A! posted:

Does the city's blessing emblem often count as its own 10th permanent ?

it's an emblem not a permanent, and once you get it for a game, it doesn't go away if you go back under 10

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

and the sort of core problem in modern, to me, is that they’ll ban hogaak and then NOT unban bridge, and hogaakless bridgevine— despite being a completely fine, balanced deck that plays in a creative and interesting way— will never exist again

what on earth are you even talking about

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

A union protects your livelihood and negotiates with an employer

yea what a stupid post that was

this seems super shady and i'd love to know who's bank account that goes to and what the dues are intended to pay for

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

ilmucche posted:

One copy of hogaak in the top 8 doesn't sound bad, but the most played card is leyline of the void and a bunch of decks are maindecking it. It's too fast and powerful for modern to be a t3.5 format.

Where's neoform at? It seems like it would be great against a field stacked against graveyard decks

not many people ran it and less than 50% made day 2. neoform is super inconsistent and folds to any sort of interaction. it's frustrating to lose to but hard to run hot enough to carry more than a 5 round mtgo league

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

salt shakeup posted:

Personally I'm just glad the free ride for those smug judges has ended.

finally the money goes to people that deserve it: those hard-working marketing consultants billing hasbro

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Skyl3lazer posted:

You know there are terminuses in your deck and you dont have to use jace to set them up right?

good point, don't know why those scrubby u/w players haven't adopted your strategy of "magically draw the perfect card on the exact turn you need it"

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
congrats to the hasbro legal department for inventing the "reverse union"

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

80s James Hetfield posted:

For a company that had a great financial year why are they operating like one that's close to going out of business and are making desperate measures to stay afloat

on one hand the status quo has been stable for decades, but on the other hand you could burn it all to the ground in exchange for a new vacation home

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
lol at "we didn't want to make it a for-profit but in the end we were forced to" followed by "it's a for-profit so you're entitled to zero transparency whatsoever"

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Skyl3lazer posted:

It's actually a growing issue atm - CFB provides staff hotels, but they're 200-250/night USD + taxes.

wait so this is what they make the judges pay, not a reimbursement or something like that? how is that anything but a grift, that's not how much a hotel room costs

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

rkajdi posted:

I know this isn't the point of the discussion, but what the hell? Was he trying to say he didn't have to put the ability on the stack for some reason? I'm not sure that's worse than the thing holydiva had on twitter earlier, but it's close.

the player thought that choosing to not retroactively put the pact trigger on the stack meant the opponent could never pay for it, and therefore would lose. even after having it repeatedly explained to them that this was not true, the player chose not to. then when their opponent didn't have to pay the mana and also would not lose the game, they got mad at the judge

it's not meant to be a story of judge incompetence, it's a story of the poo poo that judges have to deal with

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

InterrupterJones posted:

I know some of you hate Saffron Olive and his content; but in case anyone was wondering if Colossus Hammer was easy to break in Modern, apparently it is.

his stuff is fun but he played in the single-match queue which is notoriously soft, so take the results with a grain of salt

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Kjermzs posted:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2125100#paper

I almost have this deck built. I don't currently own Surgical Extraction and I know I'll need to get them eventually. I'm not planning on winning a GP with this or anything. . I doubt there is a cheaper replacement, which cards should I add more of?

more cantrips and/or removal. gut shot, opt, lava dart, flame slash all seem fine. maybe 1-2 crackling drakes. make sure to compensate by adding more graveyard hate to your sideboard

Kjermzs posted:

Is Surgical currently in the main due to Hogaak or has it always been in the main because its a free spell?

both are obviously important. the deck was running gut shot back when the meta was less solved, but even before hogaak most people had switched to surgical

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Framboise posted:

Neat! He turns Ad Nauseam into a 3-drop spell. :unsmigghh:

so the deal we're getting here is, instead of paying 5 mana for ad naus, we're going to pay 7 mana and have six less life to work with?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

important to note here that the entire process of unflip morph -> attach aura cannot be responded to in any way

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

edh is the format where people get mad at you if you win, so if anything, bad edh cards is what the people want!

it really feels like this is their design philosophy. every card costs 10 mana and requires significant setup costs to do anything at all.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
pyroclasm is better than kozileks return if you don't care about the colorless clause

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
horizons was kind of poorly designed because 99% of the cards were super fair. midrange and control got lots of cool new toys, none of which improved their bad machups in the slightest. wrenn and six, icefang coatl, etc. etc. do nothing against graveyard decks or big mana decks. they designed the cards based on what they'd like modern to look like and completely ignored reality

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

A big flaming stink posted:

uh i get what you're saying but wrenn and six seems like a poor example since it allows for recurring ghost quarters against tron

it's actually a really good example because post-horizons the best gameplan jund has against tron is still "put a single ghost quarter in your sideboard and hope to get lucky"

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

smertrioslol posted:

I like some of the spice in this top 8.

fyi it's a list of 5-0 decks from mtgo leagues, not the top 8 of a competitive tournament

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

A Moose posted:

I kinda hope modern just falls off a cliff for a while. Like they just stop having as many events so it no longer makes sense to spend $2500 on a deck, and then I can bring my lovely Living end and Ad Nauseum decks to FNM because they'll be semi-competitive again

ad naus was pretty good until hogaak made the format nothing but jund, u/w control, and decks that are trying to kill on turn 3

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

redneck nazgul posted:

was it as bad as black in AVR

nah this stuff only comes up on arena. With humans, war of the spark can't support 8 grixis drafters so at some point you'll have a better time getting into white or green rather then force something that clearly isn't open. with bots every color will be drafted evenly, and there's zero self-correction. you should be taking solid grixis commons over green and white bombs

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

evilweasel posted:

The duel decks seem like the best product for you and your kid to play each other since they're prebuilt, not too expensive, and not terrible. The other two things are garbage.

Yea sealed product with random cards is lovely value even for casual players.

Risket posted:

It will be mostly my son and I playing each other, with the possibility that I may attend some games at the local game shops as we're lucky enough to have some good ones in the area.

If there's a possibility of getting into playing at local stores, the commander preconstructed decks might be a good option (a new series is coming out soon, I'm unsure of the availability of older ones). They're more expensive than the other preconstructed stuff but commander is super popular and casual enough that you can get into it without spending shitloads of money. The precons will probably take some upgrading to get them to a point where you can take them to a local store, but if you do your homework you can make them a lot more powerful without spending much.

Your local stores might also do draft nights, which are a good way to check out the local scene without having to buy your own deck. They're probably 10-15 dollars to enter and you can do drafts on arena to learn the rules and get some practice in so you don't embarrass yourself too bad. The current draft set is core 2020. Also look out for the prerelease next month, those are really popular and attract a lot of casual players such as yourselves.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Risket posted:

Regarding the game store events, I'll look into that. I'm glad they do that sort of thing, there's too much of a barrier to entry to too many hobbies. I've never understood why some people hate it when "newbies" enter their precious little hobby...

Nobody hates newbies, there's just a bit of a culture clash when one person is trying to optimize their standard deck and the other person built their deck with the strategy of "more dragons = better". The vast majority of people are friendly and more than willing to give advice to newer players.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Elyv posted:

the twitter thread for that is surprisingly positive

i too am shocked that the target market for nerdy leggings and people who post in this thread are two divergent groups

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Star Man posted:

gently caress Smash Bros.

its fun

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
big fan of the alt-right dumbass who spends thousands of dollars on a game where you pretend to be a wizard telling us what games are and aren't for children

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
edit: i'm dumb please ignore this post

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Aug 26, 2019

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Jabor posted:

the point is "this person wasn't going to lie to try and make weissman look bad".

"idolized" is past tense because no-one idolizes a cheater once the truth is out.

oh my bad, i misinterpreted that

i assumed it was just an honest mistake that the dude was being really weird about, lmao at picking the dumbest possible format to cheat at

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Oceanbound posted:

https://twitter.com/Amaz/status/1165817252681306115?s=20

Says he walked into a judge who took it badly, then got DQ'd after he asked for the judge's name

lol he really underplays the part where the judge told him "do not walk through this area" and then he just walked through anyways

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Jabor posted:

He pretty clearly states that's what he did, I'm not sure that's really "underplaying" it.

The interactions after that bit seem really strange to me.

well he says he did that, then proceeds to not understand in the slightest why the judge was upset with him

it still sounds like a huge overreaction from the judge though

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Aug 26, 2019

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

GoutPatrol posted:

Out of all the Looting decks, Phoenix probably loses the least. I'm not saying it hurts, but it isn't as backbreaking compared to the gameplan of Mardu Pyro or Dredge. Thought Scour can work, or maybe you can also play a Bedlam Reveler or 2.

phoenix as a card is dead in modern. without the insane ceiling of getting out 1-2 phoenixes on turn 2, you're just not going to be able to consistently do something that competes with what your opponent is doing. the u/r shell of thing in the ice/lightning bolt/opt is still viable but it needs to be rebuilt into something more reactive because it's no longer able to blindly race.

mono red phoenix is dead, maybe the prowess deck can survive somehow but i doubt it, the card selection of faithless looking was super important for making sure your hand did something explosive

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Izzet Charm isn’t completely unreasonable either.

I actually do think Dredge will be fine through this, if nowhere as explosive now.

I just think at that point that you'd have a better u/r deck if you cut the phoenixes and charms for something else

I agree that dredge will be fine as long as people cut back on graveyard hate. tormenting voice is less of a tempo vacuum for them because dredging twice advances their gameplan a lot more than just discarding a phoenix

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
mtg finance corner: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/price/Core+Set+2020/Woodland+Mystic#paper

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

ItBreathes posted:

Lol at this thread being up in arms about the looting ban when it's done nothing but rage about the fact that it wasn't banned last time.

hosed up how there's only one person who posts in this thread, and they keep flip-flopping like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Magic: the Gathering: Faithless Posting