Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW1BIid8Osg

Some goon reactions:

MacheteZombie posted:

This was alright.

aBagorn posted:

It made people in the audience (as evidenced by people in this thread, including me) feel real feelings, which were organic and not calculated at all.

Yakmouth posted:

Even if the themes of the film are not expressed visually, they certainly appear through plot and dialogue

Detective No. 27 posted:

I have a fetish for gold women now.

Dexo posted:

Tony and Drax together should be amaaaaaazing.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 00:17 on May 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Odd movie. Whether it's clunky jokes popping out of nowhere, or foreground human elements standing unconvincingly in front of CG backgrounds, it just doesn't quite cohere. But I liked a lot of the more grounded character stuff, and putting more emphasis on Yondu, Rocket, and Nebula was a good call. A solid movie, about as good as the first, that would be even better if James Gunn wasn't trying to make a $200 million comedy and could focus on the things he's good at.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

TrixRabbi posted:

> Nebula talks about seeking revenge on her sister ... Sean Gunn pipes in with "Um...okay you have fun with that"
> Nebula saves Gamorrah ... Why? There's no emotional resonance, flatly directed.
> Peter's father reveals he killed his mother ... BANG BANG! Shoot first, ask questions later! They are mortal enemies now!

Absolutely agreed on the first one. I could feel the quip coming throughout the whole speech. To the extent that I'm "unnecessarily cynical" about the MCU, it's from a difficulty in engaging with drama that I know is going to be inevitably undercut.

But for the third one, Ego killing Peter's mother isn't just a personal affront. It's the conclusion of a speech about how Ego is the only person in the universe that matters. Ego makes it clear that he has weighed the value of human connection and purposefully rejected it. The actual line about him placing the tumor was a foregone conclusion by the time he said it. There are no questions left for Quill to ask.

The problem is the twenty minute gap between Peter realizing that his father had rejected all human connections and Peter remember his own. Everything from Peter shooting his father to Peter using his Celestial powers exists entirely to give everyone else time to do stuff, which is an issue when Peter/Ego is the central conflict.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

"Even" Darkman?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

It seems like he winged an explanation when he saw what Peter was listening to more than anything else.

Yes, this is what happened.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, the MCU's relative sexlessness aside, I don't get the claim that GotG2 is anti-sex. Ego's plan is to asexually spread across the universe. In contrast, Ego's child by sexual reproduction is the hero of the movie.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Earth is way better than a 3, even with what humans have been doing to it. It's at least a galactic 6, and around Sol that's basically an 8.

Franchescanado posted:

It's hard to say the MCU is sexless when it's first hero was lecherous playboy Iron Man, who's first interest in returning to the US is getting a burger, holding a press conference and then trying to find someone to gently caress. The majority sure is, but a popular and heavily prevalent aspect to Iron Man is that he's hosed almost every girl he's met.

Tony canonically fucks, but the movies themselves are sexless. Peter Parker in Spider-Man gets into hotter situations than anyone in the MCU.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Away all Goats posted:

And did I miss the reason why Ego had to seed women to create a second being who could control the light? He can clearly create life as seen in Mantis, why not just create another being to control the light? Or create a being to gently caress and raise that kid to control the light with him? Why does he need two beings to activate it in the first place? He basically has control of matter on a molecular level but genetic manipulation is out of the question?

Buddy, it's space magic.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Away all Goats posted:

Did I also miss the part where they say why Ego needs another being to control the light to activate his plan?

He says that one isn't enough, but two is.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

Possibly, but the middle finger probably isn't an obscene gesture in space. Wouldn't have made sense to censor it if they don't even know what it means.

The joke worked fine in the trailer. As such, it made sense.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The joke, to me, is in the absurdity of the machine's progressive attempts to warn about the middle finger, including it's ability to see it coming with Peter's little jack in the box bit.

The evident panic that this window has at having to pass through an obscene gesture has a Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy sort of vibe to it.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yakmouth posted:

Is that joke in the theatrical release or from a television edit? I don't remember it at all and I rewatched the film just a couple of weeks ago.
I think it's a lot funnier than him just giving them the finger (which is how I remember the scene)

It's from the trailer.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yakmouth posted:

They should have left it in the final cut.

Definitely.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

GoldfishStew posted:

Also, why did the dad have to say he gave the tumor? Just unnessary villain explaining his plot bond trope that has been made fun of since before Austin powers.

Either Peter is enough of a Celestial that he can accept it, or he's not going to go along with the plan that's about to kill all his friends, including his love interest. Ego wants Peter's cooperation enough to ease him into it, to walk him through his thinking, and to only bring it up once it's relevant. But he's not interested in a partner that he can't be himself with.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

So y'all are saying that Yondu didn't inspire Peter to gently caress his dad to death.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

James Gunn is also awesome. I'd like to see him do something super weird again.

Yeah, I want to see the movie that the two wildly successful Guardians movies give him the freedom to make.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

"Conveying humour" is a good way of putting it.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

GoldfishStew posted:

Why must this movie remain perfect to you? Why can't you like something that has flaws?

The thread is about the movie. Feel free to dislike the movie, but if you don't want to talk about it, just don't. Please don't make it about the other posters who do want to talk about it.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

So uh, maybe try watching films to feel something...and feel those things, and feel emotions and your life would be better over all instead of trying to critically analyze films all the time.

Yeah. For myself, I went into the movie to enjoy the experience, and found it didn't work at all emotionally and wasn't particularly funny, so I'm left with a movie that didn't even look particularly good. But if you did find it moving and funny I can't expect you to care all that much about the latter.

Like, Yondu's funeral. Him being redeemed to Peter means something. But the climax is Yondu being redeemed in the eyes of the Ravagers, and that means nothing to me: they're a murderous gang of pirates led by an imperious rear end in a top hat. Yondu might have cared about their approval, but that was a character flaw, not something to be celebrated with fireworks. It's like if Batman v Superman had the military funeral for Superman be more prominent in the story than the personal funeral for Clark Kent. It's totally rear end-backwards.

GoldfishStew posted:

When you verbatim use lines like, "We're the same, you and I!"

Yeah, that was wild. It feels like it's supposed to be a joke, it's such a hack line, but it didn't come across that way.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yaws posted:

The overwhelming majority of...

... everything is bad.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yaws posted:

Everyone from Spielberg to Fincher to Kurosawa has dealt with tropes.

The issue with the "we're not so different, you and I" bit is that it's a stock line, not a trope. It worked in Spider-Man as camp, but it was bizarre seeing it played straight here.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 19, 2017

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yakmouth posted:

Do you think the film would have worked better for you if Gunn had focused on a single tone or a single storyline?

Maybe, it's hard to say. I'm not sure I would have connected with the more sincere moments even if the movie had been more consistent, but it's certainly harder to get into it when the movie is all over the place.

Some of it may just be that I'm exactly who the father story isn't for. I don't have kids and none of it particularly resonated with my own relationship with my father. And it feels like a movie that depends on you to bring some of that with you, because it relies on the broadcast sketches of a relationship to focus on the absurdly heightened circumstances of it.

Whereas, I'm an easy mark for, like, pets in danger.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

What I'm saying is that the father-son thing was totally undermined by that ridiculous heel turn.

I was thinking more of Yondu in regards to that comment. The stuff with Ego being trite – like them playing catch – was a little funny given how obvious the eventual turn was.

Yakmouth posted:

How did you react to the Ravagers torturing Groot? Did it work, or were you pretty much checked out of the film by that point?

That was reasonably funny. But as scenes of people toying with an elder god go, it's no Prometheus.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yakmouth posted:

Wow. :confused:

You and I are on really different pages regarding this film. Like, that scene of them trapping Groot in a circle and pouring whiskey on him creeped me the gently caress out. I was bringing it up as a response to your 'pets in danger' comment but I guess your take on Groot's role in the film was different from mine.

I was reading him less 'elder god' and more 'eager puppy'

It makes it clear that these are lovely people, but dude grew back from a twig, he's going to be fine.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Phylodox posted:

I dunno, "I hurt you because I love you too much" is dysfunctional, but not inhuman. The whole thing about Ego is that he chooses to be a god, but he's a petty, selfish, egotistical god, and so actually ends up lessening himself by his choice. He's kind of a pathetic god.

He wasn't, like, codependent with Peter's mom, though. It's more like someone who keeps themselves from buying chips, because if they're in the house they'll eat the whole bag. It's explicitly him paring off the human side of himself. Which pairs with that statement being his attempt to see if Peter can do the same.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

GoldfishStew posted:

What you are failing to realize is that there is a difference between killing someone to get them out of the way and giving someone you love a long, drawn out, incredibly painful death. He didn't just kill her. He tortured her.

Speaking as someone whose own mother died of a brain tumor, if given the choice, I'd take the tumor over an instant death. It's bad, and it's very bad near the end, but it's better than instant oblivion. You get time with the people you love and you get time to say goodbye. Of course it would be an awful thing to inflict on someone, but you're way off-base on this idea that it was a worse thing to do to her than just killing her outright.

What Ego did was indefensible, but you're attempting to frame it as being qualitatively distinct from all the indefensible things that people who actually do love each other do to each other, and it doesn't hold up. She got some time to see her son grow up. Peter built his life around the music she shared with him, which she never would have gotten to do if Ego had just killed her instantly. What Ego did to her was grotesque, but it was, in fact, better than nothing.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The Dave posted:

I have a harder time understanding how Ego decided to come up with a human form all on his own. Did I understand that scene correctly? He made it sound like he just happened to design himself as a human and then discovered Earth.

Considering the presentation implies he not only independently developed the human form, but 70s fashion, I think we can assume he was simplifying things for Peter's benefit. And as, you know, a joke.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The Dave posted:

Well as, a joke, it wasn't funny.

I found 1970s Kurt Russell meeting a little alien girl amusing.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Darth Brooks posted:

With the speed at which Gunn has been subverting expectations I could see Adam going after the Guardians but turning into a non threat almost immediately. Like the new kid at school whose goes to beat up a bully but almost immediately realizes that the kid he thought was a bully is having a lot of fun and is really cool.

Some heroes fighting and then teaming up once they realize they're on the same side wouldn't exactly be subverting expectations in the MCU.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The implication that the film is composed not using the edges of the frame, but using the edges of the 16:9 HDTV that frame is going to be letterboxed inside of for home viewing, is interesting.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

I had to use a weird website just to get that to work. When I did it without the edges, the grid design was cut off, and I'm not wasting more than 10 minutes arguing with Bravest.

I can't fault you for the low effort, it just didn't end up being particularly convincing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Shame about the ignore. I was hoping to hear more about how dysfunctional it is to have a one-night stand.

• Locked thread