Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

So he was right to not get an MRI on his arm because it wasn't the issue. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

I wonder how much better Corey Seager has to be than Addison Russell to overcome the Cubs WS tidal wave of fandom and win the NL SS starting spot.

He should consider starting a pokemon card collection imo

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I like the part in Fastball where a physicist explains why it's impossible for a fastball to actually rise and the perception comes from a disconnect between the balls actual speed and what the brain expects it to be, then it cuts back to Bryce Harper who goes "nah man it rises, I dun see it. Maybe those eggheads should step in a batter's box."

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
He may have gotten shelled last night but at least Anderson's twitter game is on point.

https://twitter.com/BAnderson3737/status/859270772241702914

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
First game I ever went to Sosa hit one oppo out onto Sheffield and Billy Williams signed a ball for me, so that was cool.

I also got to see Rizzo's tarp catch in 2015.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Timby posted:

Why the hell don't they just DFA him? Does Maddon have a weird Coghlan-esque love of the guy?

He's on an absurdly cheap and incentive based contract the Cubs would still have to pay anyway if they released/DFA'd him. In this case there's pretty much no upside for the Cubs in letting him walk when he can sit in DL/Iowa Rehab purgatory as a depth option.

New Concept Hole posted:

"No guys really, I think I tore something in my arm."

"Get OUTTA HERE with the quitter attitude, Harvey!"

:perfect:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Rand alPaul posted:

If you were a pitcher for the Mets you'd drink too.

BREAKING: Matt Harvey out for the season with a torn UCL in his right elbow, sustained from the repeated motion of lifting beer bottles.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

iospace posted:

So what exactly changed for the Cubs? I don't really follow other team's offseason movements.

The team is more or less the same as it was last year, but its failed to fire on all cylinders since the beginning of the season. The starting pitching came out of the gate with much diminished velocity and while that's slowly self corrected they're still having issues with early runs and high pitch counts, which means they put the team in the hole early and can't go deep enough to ease off on the pen. The bullpen has been mostly good outside of a few stinkers like Grimm, but it's been too overtaxed of late.

Meanwhile on offense more than half the regular lineup are in hefty slumps (Schwarber, Rizzo, Russell, Contreras, Zobrist), and Heyward is injured after looking like he might have finally taken a step forward offensively. The result is incredibly dumb nonsense like you saw last night, where the Yankees pen combined to throw 9 shutout innings in relief to eventually pick up the win. It's certainly not the worst offensive performance in the NL right now (thanks Giants!) but it's pretty bad.

Also at least early in the season the defense hasn't been there. Infielders seem to be regularly making throwing errors on incredibly routine plays and depending on how Joe configures the OF it bounces between "Two legit gold glove candidates and the Beefy Lad that Could" or "We cloned Matt Adams and had him play the entire OF, let's see what happens" on defense.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Inspector_666 posted:

Also in the Cubs defense with regards to this weekend, the Yankees are good, or at the very least are real hot right now, so it's not like they just got buried by the Dads or something.

I'm really only still salty about game one. Hendricks put together another strong (if brief) start, the bullpen was phenomenal even shorthanded as it was, and all the Cubs needed was for Rondon to remember how to close for one miserable inning. So of course he blows it in the most heartbreaking way possible. :smith:

At least today's game has a ~90% chance of being rained out. Cubs could really use a break after yesterday.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
So can any Giants goons explain to me why bay area sports pundits hate Brandon Belt so much? My coworker two desks down has been blasting local sports radio all day for some reason and listening to these guys you'd think the Giants would be 32-0 if Belt would just get off his lazy rear end and start producing.

I've also learned that Hunter Pence is apparently worth a package of top prospects :lol:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

skaboomizzy posted:

Pirates RHP Jameson Taillon underwent surgery for testicular cancer today.

This season absolutely loving sucks injury-wise. Be okay, Taillon :(

bawfuls posted:

Belt seems to be exactly the kind of player AT&T mutes. And a 1B who's never hit 20 HR or 100 RBI in a year is also exactly the kind of player that typical local sports talk radio will lambaste.

Belt could have 20 HR's right now and the Giants would still be below .500

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/Cubs/status/861743908858015752

Bye Szczur. :(

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

So let me get this straight:
- Harvey went out at 1am and spent three hours knocking back shots with his friends in the corner of a bar the night before a game. Incredibly dumb, but not world ending.
- Despite this Harvey was apparently well enough to go golfing the next morning. Or so he says anyway.
- He's not with the team by batting practice, and depending on who you believe he either told the team in advance he was ill and wouldn't be there, or later responded with that to the team after they questioned his absence.
- Either way, Collins immediately flipped his poo poo and called up Mets ownership to have him suspended.
- Also the Mets sent a security entourage to Harvey's apartment later that night to make sure he was home and interrogate him on his story/condition.

What is wrong with the loving Mets :psyduck: I'd expected he'd shown up to the game drunk/hungover and stinking of liquor, not that he'd had a bit much and called in sick. Oh, also this:

https://twitter.com/jareddiamond/status/861675978866790400

:lol:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

loving :lol: at calling pounding shots until 4 am and then missing practice on the day before you're scheduled to start "having a few drinks on your day off." Harvey was certainly supposed to be going over scouting reports and coming up with a game plan on Saturday, but he decided to be a manchild and blow off his responsibilities.

And let's not act like there isn't years of history here, davecrazy's Harvey meltdowns the year they went to the WS were about him skipping/being late for practice.

I mean don't get me wrong, all indications are that Harvey's head is isn't in the game at the moment. Between the drinking, the skipping practice/prep work, and the in-season weight gain, it seems like Harvey doesn't really have much interest in putting in the off-field effort required to stay sharp. I'm sure that would frustrate the hell out of any manager, particularly when the Mets are in a position that they really need to be able to lean on Harvey to churn out some good games while 3/5ths of their rotation is dead.

At the same time though the Mets handled the situation in a hilariously dumb way. The team sent security goons to his house to antagonize him like they're the loving Mafia and somehow nobody internally did a double take to think "hey maybe this isn't actually a smart idea!" Then they very publicly suspended him but refused to explain why, to the point that actual credible news outlets were wondering if it was connected to a dildo in the Mets locker room. And now that the truth has actually come out and is far less severe than the scenarios people imagined in absence of the truth, it makes it look like the Mets overreacted. If they'd just come out from the start and said "He was out drinking late which made him sick and as a result he didn't report" nobody would have batted an eye.

At the end of the day, it also solved gently caress all. If the point of all this hardball was to intimidate or set Harvey straight, it clearly didn't work since he's not only appealing the suspension, but he claims the Mets are flat out lying about key bits of the story. And if the point of clamming up was to spare Harvey and/or the Mets embarrassment on the public stage they managed to achieve the complete and total opposite, so kudos.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Watch the Mets turn him into a pitcher.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Good Dog posted:

How many AAAA, AAA, AA and Cash Considerations players do the Mets need to injure before we get Tebow in the majors? Are we on pace for a September callup?

I mean if the Mets are out of contention by September they might as will give him a cup of coffee, if only because it'll sell tickets for a week or two.

Grittybeard posted:

Knuckler with an eephus as his second pitch seems weird though.

Cy Young 2018 calling it here.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I honestly think that if Tebow really, really dedicated himself to baseball for the next 2-3 years to try and close some of the skill gap that comes from his lack of prior experience in the sport, that he has the physical tools to be a major league 4th outfielder. The problem is more that even in that best case scenario he's not going to be MLB ready until he's in his 30's, and the sport is in the middle of a youth revolution. There are dozens upon dozens of dudes in the draft each year with a similar ceiling, and they're much cheaper/younger. It's not impossible to break into the majors at his age, but you need to be flashing some serious upside for it to happen.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

the popes toes posted:

Hi butt goes a long way for real baseball men. See the physical description for Jeter's scouting report

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWgyy_rlmag&t=190s

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Der Meister posted:

Why is Arrieta dead? What happened?

His velocity is significantly down this year across the board. Otherwise there's nothing immediately apparent when you watch him pitch - his control is arguably better than last year since he's not walking too many - but when he throws in the zone he gets owned. My best guess is that he's not adjusted to the velocity dip and it's making what were once difficult to hit pitches very much hittable. As to why his velocity is dipping, nobody really knows and if you ask Maddon all he does is get mad and keep repeating his "as long as he's healthy I don't see a problem" line.

Der Meister posted:

Also, where the gently caress did Kershaw's slider go?

I don't know but it makes watching LA games highly amusing when Kershaw strikes a dude out and then still throws a fit on the mound because he missed his spot.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Mike_V posted:

Wow, I didn't realize Billy Hamilton already has 19 SB in just 34 games. What's a realistic outcome if he can stay healthy, 90?

R.D. Mangles posted:

Billy loving Hamilton, CF
There is no more terrifying sight in baseball than Billy Hamilton on first. He stares at the pitcher. The pitcher throws back to first, grinding the game to a halt unless he is Jon Lester in which case he is hosed. Billy gets ready. Before the ball even leaves the pitcher's hand he's already on second because time and space are meaningless to Billy Hamilton. He stares at the pitcher again. He might very well go to third. There isn't much to stop him. There he is, rocking back and forth, ready to go like he was shot out of a cannon. This is what Billy does-- he doesn't need power because he can fly around the bases like the Concorde and run down anything hit into center and mainly use his jet speed to walk back to the dugout because Billy Hamilton cannot hit for poo poo.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Pancakes posted:

N: Matheny has good opinions and makes valid points, makes Maddon seem crotchety, old and dumb (in my opinion).

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/base...15140b6b50.html

V: I don't care if it's just on one issue. I'm scared, somebody hold me.

Matheny is on point here (:barf:) and Maddon's elaborate hand wringing over the slide rule is legit embarassing to read. Is the slide rule perfect? No, and honestly I'm not sure how you fix it. Is an imperfect rule that so far seems to do a good job of preventing horrible season-ending injuries better than no rule at all? Unequivocally yes. Same goes for the Posey rule that Maddon also likes to cry and waste the Cubs challenge on continuously.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

The Pussy Boss posted:

Which is easy to do when you're manipulating the 10-Day DL to run a 6/7-man rotation, haha.

Honestly the Dodgers completely and flagrantly abusing the 10-Day DL while smiling coyly over at Manfred is pretty great. If you can do it why not?

It does mean that pretty much every pitcher on their staff not named Kershaw is going to have trouble qualifying though, since it's hard to throw 162 IP in a seven man rotation.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Why isn't Arrieta pitching like he did in 2015 then? :argh:

Stephen A. Smith shamed him into dropping the PED's early last season and it's all been downhill for him since.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

IcePhoenix posted:

I'd actually be ok with bunting if people batflipped after them, especially when it's a good one.

Is it illegal to carry that bat to the base? I've now got the image of a guy laying down the most perfect bunt, carrying the bat with him to first, and then flipping it back over their shoulder into the dugout.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Craptacular! posted:

I've read about six pages of Blue Jay related posting about headhunting, slurs, and what sounds like bench clearing madness.

How the hell did a meaningless interleague series between two bad teams who will not face each other again for years become The Rivalry For Our Times?

Imagine if the Jays strolled into AT&T for a series, broke Posey's wrist and sent him to the DL for 10 weeks with a HBP, one of their players called Moore a human being, and then Bautista hit one into the bay and flipped his bat while staring the pitcher down just a few innings later.

That's how.

e. Oh and in the final game of the series after that they absolutely crush you.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 19, 2017

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Who is the most handsome player on your team?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Pancakes posted:

I took that to mean that the Cardinals offered more money but he signed with the Sox despite it.

Yep. Sounds like the Cardinals offered slightly more but the ChiSox pulled the same thing the Cubs did with Lester a few years ago and put together some kind of video presentation that swayed him to sign with them over more money.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

yeah I thought that's why they signed James Loney just this week

They basically got Adams for nothing though and he'll probably put up more of a fight than Loney. Worst case he's a warm body that fills 1B until Freeman is back and is off the books after 2017, best case he gets hot and the Braves flip him for more than they could have gotten trying to deal Loney (nothing).

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

I was going to reprise the joke and post Bryant as the ugliest but I just couldn't bring myself to click submit :swoon:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Cubs call up Rosscup, option Floro back to Iowa.

Rosscup has been middling in AAA so far this year but that's mostly a product of a 16.7% HR/FB ratio. His peripherals are solid as hell: 39.7 K%/4.8 BB%/2.78 xFIP, so hopefully he's finally put it together and the Cubs have another reliable lefty out of the pen.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Poque posted:

Why even bother having NL teams vote, it's going to be all Cubs and then every other team just gets one token rando

If he keeps his pace up Schwarber will be down to a double digit average by the time he gets to be the starting NL all star LF. :v:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

The full team in all their glory:

https://twitter.com/Cubs/status/867915555877015552

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Aye Doc posted:

the Players Tribune is so loving good at producing content I want to read. What would Gary Sheffield do if he were commissioner for a day?

first step,

Between everybody sliding into/colliding with everybody to make sure they don't appear "soft", batters bashing pitchers over the head with bats, instant full season PED suspensions for the first offense, and forcing your best players to take multiple AB's in a marathon every time the game goes into extras, I'm not sure how many players will actually be left to play by the end of a season of Sheffield's MLB Hellscape.

Also I like how if you're a 2B and your leg gets broken by a take out slide, it's your fault and you're a selfish player for getting injured and hurting your team :lol:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Der Meister posted:

I guess last laugh is on us cause he will still get a bajillion dollars in free agency.

Yep. Even if he continues to absolutely poo poo the bed for the rest of the season, some team is still going to take a gamble and sign him to big money on the hope he'll recapture his absurd 2015 form.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Luigi Thirty posted:

Posey just sat there like "nope you're on your own"

Pretty much the only sane response in the whole fiasco, lol who loving carries a grudge over a batter doing his job against you 2+ years ago? Do I have to worry about Javy getting drilled in the head the next time he faces Strickland because he had the audacity to single up the middle in the NLDS last year?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

New Concept Hole posted:

I'm guessing Posey was just staying out of an ejection. Also Strickland is the same size as Harper pretty much.

Harper also got maybe one half-decent blow in, otherwise all he got for his trouble was a shot to the face courtesy of Strickland and the the entirety of twitter making fun of his pathetic attempt to throw his helmet.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Intruder posted:

MLB: Harper threw his helmet, creating a dangerous missile object that could have caused serious injury *completely ignores irony*

I'd have just posted "lol" and left it at that but the sad reality is you're probably right.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Craptacular! posted:

Like really the Giants should give Strickland a suspension on top of whatever MLB does. Bochy is consistently anti-beaning, even after events like the Posey collision injury.

I can only assume Bochy seriously had to consider not whacking Strickland over the head with a bat himself when he came back after being ejected.

Julio Cruz posted:

If Harper had just run to first then Strickland wouldn't even have been ejected, and if pitchers can throw at people for bullshit reasons and face literally no punishment whatsoever then it's just going to keep happening.

Yeah I think that's what makes the whole thing feel so lovely. Either Harper does the right thing and takes it which means Strickland just gets away with being a huge shithead and potentially injuring him, or he does the wrong thing and gets Strickland ejected/presumably suspended but also has to bite that bullet himself as well and also start a dumb brawl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Santheb posted:

If he had been a second later then Shark would've got Harper with a shoulder tackle worthy of being on jacked up. The timing is impeccable.

https://twitter.com/NickBromberg/status/869318991818444801

Morse with the save god drat.

• Locked thread