Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
voltroon
Apr 29, 2009

metasynthetic posted:

Reposting for new thread:

Didn't see this commented on in the last one - notice how his writing is centered pretty well, including an indent on the last line and his signature?

Except for the "& will never forget!" He forgot where he was and added it afterwards.

Where does this rank compared to the time Justin Bieber wrote in the Anne Frank House guest book that she would have been a Belieber?

Also, is there a compilation video or gif of every time Melania has smacked DT away from holding her hand? I want to watch that happen forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

He declared that he's going to call them "losers" now to make them feel bad about themselves.

I'm reasonably certain I have that right.

Infuriatingly, someone on NPR was patting his fat rear end about this phrasing today, because it makes the situation "understandable to kids". It was some expert on how to talk about terrorist attacks with your kids, but the host was nodding and salivating right along.

Overall NPR has really been pissing me off the past few days, especially about the pres' overseas trip. I know they can't be the all-Trump-criticism-all-the-time station but goddamnit, they should be.

They did talk about the humanitarian crisis in Yemen a bit today but they barely touched on how the Saudi arms deal is going to directly cause a massive loss of life in that hosed-up shithole of a situation. I'm irritated that there's been barely any media coverage of that when everybody's been so rear end-patty about the trip or focused on :orb:

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

lol is this new

It's from the CSPAM thread

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009

stone cold posted:

yeop

also there's a healthy dose of that "how can I shove myself into your whole scene," kind of reminds me of the people who insist the a in LGBTQIA stands for allies not ace people

which is like

gently caress off what the gently caress kind of ally are you

Hey fyi you're incredibly wrong about this ally vs. asexual thing. Most of the people who prefer A = ally are actually, y'know, gay or trans people who have a vested interest in the intracommunity politics of it, not "allies" at all. It's way too long to get into in significant dept but the basic break down is this: 1. People who are asexual but also hetero and cisgender benefit from both straight and cis privilege. Allowing them into the community gives them access to specific intracommunity resources (scholarships, beds at homeless shelters, etc.) that are specifically set aside for people who are actually oppressed under these axes. 2. "Ally" is a cover term often for questioning people who want to be able to explore their identity without being subject to the negative societal impacts that openly identifying as queer/trans subject you to (especially those in unsafe situations). 3. The term asexual has been ridiculously diluted and does not mean, as one thinking about the terms "homosexual" and "bisexual" would think, that a person who is ace is not attracted to anybody, but rather means that the person does not experience "sexual attraction" (i.e. want to have sex), which is not an axis of oppression. 4. This dilution has led to the blatantly homophobic "split attraction model" which encourages individuals to engage in internalized homophobia (e.g. "I'm bisexual but heteroromantic because I could never picture myself dating someone of the same sex, only loving them").

There's more to this but it's not straight people trying to exclude ace people; it's gay people trying to keep straight people out of their community, which is exclusive by necessity.

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009
Is it true that Hawaii already has single-payer? If so, why would California be the tipping point for the rest of the country? I mean, I understand the size obviously, but why would insurance companies crush CA over this if they didn't crush HI?

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009

Mister Adequate posted:

Hey fyi you're incredibly wrong about this ally vs. asexual thing. I'd get into it but you're rehashing the same old arguments that white gay men have used to exclude non-white people, trans people, gay women, bisexuals, and others. The community is for queer people of all stripes, and that 100% includes and should include ace people.

Not really, because asexual people don't experience systematic discrimination/oppression. You can't make those arguments for the other groups you listed. Also, not wanting to have sex isn't an orientation, it's a way you feel about sex. Sexual orientation is about who you are attracted to, not how you are attracted to them. If asexual actually meant "isn't attracted to anyone" instead of "doesn't specifically want to gently caress", I would have fewer objections. As it stands now, it doesn't make sense for ace people to fall under the queer umbrella unless they are otherwise LGBT. Ace people are not systematically excluded from accessing societal resources, nor do they lack political capital in the same way LGBT folks do.

Also, the encroachment of ace people into queer communities has resulted in similar things that happen whenever straight people end up in gay spaces: their needs/preferences end up being prioritized over the people who the community was formed for. There have been high school GSAs and other queer spaces where ace people have assumed leadership and then implemented or requested that gay people in those spaces refrain from PDA, because it upsets them, when those spaces were some of the only places that gay people could safely express PDA. That kind of stuff just rubs me the wrong way.

Anyways this is unrelated to Trump stuff so I should stop posting about it, so I apologize for dragging this out. I have a feeling that in 10 years I'll be considered a regressive shithead for thinking this way so I'm open to arguments in the opposite direction.

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009

This is ace erasure.

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009

VitalSigns posted:

Asexual people don't exactly get demonized and actively discriminated against, but on the other hand men do get actively shamed for admitting they're not interested in sex and I imagine women who aren't interested in sex get a lot of poo poo from their family/community/rapey guys so a community that's based around fighting for civil rights, dignity, and respect for non-heterosexual orientations should probably be pushing back against prejudice against asexual people even if it's not as violent and over-the-top as homophobia.

Also the more people who describe themselves as queer, the less heterosexuality remains the normal, regular-people thing to do, so yeah I'm with you bring in the ace's, make as much of the world as possible as queer as possible :gay:

The stuff you mentioned is moreso misogyny/rape culture, I think, although there is a significant overlap between misogyny and homophobia, which I will grant. Informed queer intersectional politics should be opposed to manifestations of either anyways, which indirectly combats any sort of shaming that ace people might experience. I agree that ace people are natural allies in fighting this sort of discrimination, in the same way that people oppressed under axes of race and class will often be combating the same things. I just don't think that ace people are necessarily part of the queer/LGBT umbrella.

You could apply a similar argument to people who are polyamorous: do they experience societal shaming as a result of the way their relationships are formed? Yes. Are they inherently part of the queer community (for straight polyam people specifically)? The consensus seems to be that they are not.

I disagree that having a lot of people unnecessarily calling themselves queer benefits the community. At one point there was massive debate regarding including people who practice BDSM under the queer umbrella, people who are polyamorous, and those obnoxious heterosexuals who feel like they are "queering" heterosexuality because the guy lets his wife peg him. That all stemmed from a complete misunderstanding of the underpinnings of queer theory more than anything. At one point that discussion even extended to pedophilia and bestiality, which is obviously bullshit.

I guess I should also disclaim that I am approaching this from the perspective of a qwoc, for whom resources and safe spaces are already very scarce. It really does rub me the wrong way when people who do not experience that type of discrimination try to access community resources or interject into intracommunity issues that already suffer from a lack of intersectional understanding.

I should also say that I don't think Allies are part of the queer community per se and should not have access to community resources. There was a huge uproar (justifiably) a few years ago when an Ally girl received an LGBT scholarship, because the scholarship was extended to people who were LGBTQIA. However, having "Ally" as part of the acronym, particularly when it comes to activist organizations, offers questioning people a safe gateway into the community as well as providing additional support (as long as allies understand their place and act as allies, rather than trying to steer the organization).

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009

business hammocks posted:

Didn't the A start showing up to denote politically active ally groups like PFLAG? I don't know when exactly asexuality started showing up as a banner people organize under, but it seems more recent than the expanded initialisms past T and Q. Even if not, allies in political struggle seem different than individual people wanting access to gay places.

Yes, basically. LGBT was the core acronym for a long time, then Q was added to include may of the folks who felt they didn't fit under those four (e.g. pansexual people, gender nonconforming people, etc.). There was quite a bit of debate regarding Q for Queer vs. Q for Questioning which was more or less resolved in favor of "it's both". Then the IA was added later on. The I is its whole own can of worms so I won't even get into that.

The A historically meant "Allies" and yeah, it was basically for activist groups. Obviously it doesn't make sense to talk about LGBTQIA rights if the "A" stands for Allies because those allies already have those rights. The A in most acronyms typically stood for "Alliance", like with GSAs.

The alphabet soup stuff, QUILTBAG, MOGAI, etc. is really messy and difficult to pick apart because it all basically represents a struggle within the community to embrace as many people as they can under the queer umbrella because gender and sexuality are sticky, vague things that don't always fit neatly into a single definition, while still preserving the meaning of what the community actually is.

The 'A is for asexual' stuff started really coming into discourse around 2013 or so (at least, that's when I started seeing a lot of it), largely spurred on by AVEN, which is an asexual advocacy organization that was started by a straight ace guy with some very questionable politics of his own. A lot of people got on board with it because of the aforementioned struggle, but in the past year or two there has been pushback from within the community because of the stuff I mentioned earlier with ace people starting to dominate spaces. There has also been a nasty trend of ace people particularly online and among younger folks, demonizing LGB "allosexuals" for being dirty and wrong, which we get enough of in the outside world without having to deal with it in our own community.

I totally understand how people naturally relate this to some of the arguments that were used to exclude bi or trans people from the community, but most of the pushback I have seen really has not come from gay white men like you would expect. I've typically seen it from queer women and trans people, who feel already feel marginalized within the community. There is also a small but vocal contingent of ace people who are also LGBT who vehemently argue that cis/hetero aces are not part of the community.

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009

Roland Jones posted:

Also, Macron had a response to Trump pulling out of Paris, on the above topic:

https://twitter.com/EmmanuelMacron/status/870407981044834304

First the Scandanavians, now this. I'm excited to watch every European leader dunk on Trump for the next four years.

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I know Jimmy Johns bases itself on super fast delivery but how the gently caress does that work? Didn't places like Dominos get in big trouble in the 80s because their promised fast delivery times resulted in tons of car accidents?

Couple pages back, but JJ's limits their delivery area to within 1 mile of the store location and you are expected to be able to make a sandwich in under 25 seconds IIRC.

Also they overstaff for delivery drivers on most shifts.

Also the owner is a big game hunter/misogynist shitheel who is really into ratfucking the employees but that is not different from most other delivery chains, so. :shrug:

Oh and they put way too much mayo on everything. The wheat bread is the bomb though and you can sometimes get it at the end of the night for mad cheap.

Source: worked at JJs in college.

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009

That article posted:

'Who is this man?' wildlife TV presenter Anneka Svenska asks in desperate tweet

and there you have it folks, the best sandwich chain!

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009

Number_6 posted:

Since we are doing sandwich chat what's the consensus on Schlotzsky's ?

Don't you mean (((Schlotzky's)))?

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009
Sorry if this has been addressed in the last 10 pages or so already, but why DOES the US love Saudi Arabia so much? I know they gave big dinner boy the firmest of rear end-pattings during his Big Boy Adventuretime Trip, but why is the rest of the administration on board with this?

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

1) They have oil
2) They were anti-communist
3) They are the largest regional power in the middle east and American foreign policy has generally been focused on maintaining stability in the region at all costs.
4) They are anti-Iran

Stability = No open conflict between states which = safe trade through sea/air and stability of energy prices.

Thanks!

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

What is going on with his neck/chin

Old post, but on Tumblr they refer to this as his "chussy" (chin pussy).

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The economic gains unleashed from the reduction in the capital gains tax will be massive. Especially during this bull market.

Additionally, not subsidizing net-economic losses to the country will help. How much is a 62-year old Kentuckian 100% dependent on government subsidies contributing to the economy? They are draining it.

Maybe this is :duff: but this is eugenics and literally indicates the death of the disabled for the economic advantage of others.

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

Wait, this hasnt ever been expanded on to me. Just how expensive are strips and needles for you guys? :stare:

Medical supplies are so expensive that old people here are at extraordinary risk for recurrent infection due to reusing catheters if that gives you any perspective.

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009

Zoro posted:

What the gently caress is Red Vines?

Pages back, but it's when two gay men wrap their penises around each other like the snakes of the caduceus.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6jTZBuCcn4

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009

I've had an indictment-induced erection since last Friday, at what point do I need to seek medical attention?

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009

Annointed posted:

Oh yeah, that poem. That poem has been recited in my head a billion times. I just thought I and other asians would be at least 4th on the chopping block, right before black people, latinx people and middle eastern people. But racism knows no bounds and doesn't play "favorites". It'd be naive to think stuff like this wouldn't spread.

Your hierarchy of who racists hate the most is only as accurate as the most recent Fox News/Breitbart/RWM talking point and scapegoat. China is becoming a bigger and bigger boogieman and tons of tech folks never got over the Indian outsourcing meme, so you probably shouldn't get too comfortable with that model minority concept. After all, before 9/11, most of America considered Middle Easterners as part of that same demographic.

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009

Annointed posted:

That and he hates things that are more popular/cherished than him, so why not strip mine the Grand Canyon?

The grand canyon is large, orange, and beautiful. He's jealous of the competition.

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009

Post 9-11 User posted:

I spent 20 seconds to bust someone who committed a crime.

Truly, I am a tryhard, truly, you are not outing yourself as woefully apathetic and lame. :coal:

C'mon dude by what metric is calling someone "Pocahontas" a crime? Insanely racist, yes; criminal, no.

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009

enraged_camel posted:

lol, breitbarters are swallowing the antifa stuff hook line and sinker

"A can of whip arse" - Can't tell if this is one of those British crypto-fascists who get overinvolved in American politics or a big ol' nerd using British-speak for internet cred.

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009
Guys, I've been sharpening my knives all morning but I haven't gotten the call to action over my antifa mind control chip! What gives? Could right wing twitter have misled me?

e: I may be an anarchist super soldier but I still believe in taxes

voltroon fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Nov 4, 2017

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009

vaginadeathgrip posted:

I don’t actually know what otherkin is and I refuse to put it into Google.

This is the safest choice. Protect yourself.

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009

Your Taint posted:

This was truly the Bowling Green massacre.

Turns out Kelly Ann Conway isn't a liar, she's just from the future. That's why she looks so haggard; time travel really wears you out.

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009

Mantis42 posted:

Ok, I think I understand PJ's comparison. For years I was a member of an online community of Noidkin. The Right fetishizes guns, we fetishized pizza. They wear red hats, we wore skintight bunny outfits. Its all pretty similar.

Wouldn't a community of otherkin where everyone was the same character devolve into infighting about who were 'fakes' and doubles? I thought one of the core components of otherkin-ness was believing you are "literally, actually, irl" your chosen character. Or are there multiple Noids in canon?

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009

Endorph posted:

I mean, they're all nerds who hate conflict. They'd probably be fine just tolerating it or justifying it somehow, I doubt it'd even reach a Three Christs of Ypsilanti level.

You've obviously never looked at the 'kin drama' tag on Tumblr.

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009

They've gone full State Media, huh?

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009

Ague Proof posted:

Already read it. Apparently Kevin Spacey is gay.

Kevin Spacey is gay and a sexual assailant. Heard an interview on NPR earlier this week saying that it's likely that he's about to be the next Harvey Weinstein in terms of the seriousness of the allegations against him. So far there's just one, but apparently this was another 'well-known secret' type deal.

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009

Gnossiennes posted:

Actually, several other people have already come forward, iirc

That's what I get for only keeping up with celeb news on NPR.

I got too disgusted to follow up on the story after he spun the sexual assault allegations into a boo-hoo poor me oh-so-brave coming out statement. loving vomit.

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009

farraday posted:

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/926940936000688128

This sounds fake, Dvorkovich still has both arms and we all know the only way to get Carter Page to stop talking is to cut off a limb and run while he's confused.

He probably played dead until a larger, more treason-worthy Russian strolled by and distracted Page's attention so he could make his escape.

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009

Flavahbeast posted:

its actually because they were tired of people drawing erotic Noid art

If that's all it took, the Jolly Green Giant would've been out years ago.

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009
The best thing about elephants is that they have big ol' tiddies.

http://www.nathanmyhrvold.com/index.php/travel/essay/elephants-have-fabulous-tits

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009
The only positive thing about Trump's incredibly stupid koi experience is that at least he didn't fall directly into the koi pond a bludgeon a fish to death with his flabby body, ala Michael Scott from the Office.

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009

RasperFat posted:

Any bets on which country he will offend the most? Also side bets on which country he will do the most internationally embarrassing incident that might not be offensive per se, just Trump being a complete moron are welcome.

Almost certainly Korea. My prediction is that he will confuse NK and SK and/or call Pres. Moon "Kim Jung Un".

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009
I'm so happy for VA but I just wanted to share also that this guy just won a seat on my city's City Council!

(That's Braxton Winston at the protests against the Keith Lamont Scott shooting)

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009

IUG posted:

Why haven't people moved to Tumblr or something else? It's not like it's that hard to adjust to another platform. Is Tumblr also run by shitheads?

Tumblr does not ban nazis or open pedophiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009

boner confessor posted:

the reason why extremely online men can't get laid. these dorks will make "chadmorphs" of their face to show what they would have to look like to get women to pay attention to them

the joke is most of the time these dudes look alright but they've convinced themselves they're unfuckable, so they become unfuckable

this is what body image issues caused by mass media look like when you mix them with toxic masculinity

All this dude needs is a better haircut, jesus.

• Locked thread