Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

RBX posted:

Everything Riot makes is 10 billion times more popular than anything Xbox. And all the free poo poo is crazy

Ya people don't realize this is huge. Buying all champions in league is ultra expensive, the gamepass option is way better for 99% of players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

So apparently Game Pass cannabilizes sales of a game. But as a consumer I think game pass is one of the best things in gaming. I wish something like this existed when I was a kid, there is so much good poo poo in there but not enough time.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Zurtilik posted:

I've bought a few GamePass games that I completed.

A good number of games also have DLC not included and I wouldn't be surprised to see more of that going forward. A good way to play the main game and then sell a lot of side dishes.

Ya I've bought some as well especially if they have replay value and were really good. There have been few games like Guardians of The Galaxy where it was a good one time experience and that was it.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

I bought Streets of Rage 4 and Hi-Fi Rush for Steam after playing them first on Gamepass because they're GOATs and I wanted to have them forever!!

Ya that's how I felt for Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order, played it on EA pass thingy then bought the game and replayed it a bunch.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

The FTC is the agency that can block mergers under antitrust law. They’ve almost never done this in recent decades but the current head of the FTC is Lina Khan, a progressive antitrust enthusiast, and this case looks like a good battle for her to pick. Not guaranteed it will be blocked but much more likely than historically would have been

Although it feels like most of the pushback has been in the UK side.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

John F Bennett posted:

This is probably one of the best game pass months I've seen so far.

I think this year might be the best for Gamepass just because they actually have large third party exclusives while last year they had smaller indie games mainly. Last year was stuff like A Plague Tale, Tunic, Total Warhammer 3 which are good but this year they got Atomic Hearts, Wo Long, Minecraft Legends, Redfall, Starfield. That's just the first half of the year and only new releases.

If the Activision deal doesn't even go through like someone said in the thread that's just Microsoft with 70bln back. Pretty sure they could just throw money at big third party publishers like Square, Sega, Ea, Ubisoft for few day one pass games or in some case straight up buy. I am pretty sure with how poorly Ubisoft/EA have been doing in terms of their stock performance, their investors would welcome a buyout and those acquisitions will have way less antitrust issues. Like Ubisoft stock is nearly at all time lows and their market cap is only 2bln euro. Even in dollars that is less than what Sony paid for Bungie even if Microsoft pays 10-20% above current market price.. So Microsoft could just pick them up yolo to have another dev for gamepass.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

please do not purchase Ubi Soft, Phil

Point is even if Activision deal doesn't go through they can pick someone else up or throw money like they did at Sega for all those Yakuza games. Ubisoft is definitely in the down but you are really buying on the cheap and AC Valhalla by itself had 1bln in revenue. So that is almost 50% of their market valuation by 1 game. And they have like 2-3 AC games in dev already.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

Starfield ain’t coming out the first half of this year lol

Ya I think safe bet is the holidays but summer seems empty. They could do one presentation then reveal release date of 3-4 months. Plus guys like Jeff Grub saying they think it's possible.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

BoosterDuck posted:

fallout 4 got announced the summer of 2015 and came out 6 months later with like 2 promotional trailers, those vault boy cinematics and no previews

plus it was a buggy pos at launch so starfield is definitely coming out this year

Wasn't Starfield suppose to release last year? Covid disrupted the workflow of most of these studios. And we know BGS don't mind releasing buggy poo poo so they will release it unfinished if they have to. I don't buy the we've been polishing it for all this year. Atleast it will run like poo poo on console.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Professor Beetus posted:

If the Activision deal falls through I want Microsoft to buy Sega, or at least RGG, just to stick it to Sony for the poo poo they pull with Square Enix. :catstare:

Buying Japanese companies is hard for foreign entity. It's not even in gaming but in general it's very rare to see western companies acquire Japanese companies. So I don't think a Japanese dev is unlikely, as hated as Ubisoft or EA is they would make more sense and probably would get approved much more easily. Other than Square who are basically in bed with Sony, Xbox gets most of the big publishers games now. You are probably missing some of the more niche JRPG titles but if you are a fan of those you likely have a PC/Switch/PS5.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Guillermus posted:

I spent hundreds of hours of MW2 mp with goons on my 360 and the co-op missions were super fun too.

MW2 at launch was a special time. Going to high school at the time, I remember all the guys in my class just waiting to go back home on launch day, we all stayed up that night and the next day in school we were all half asleep. The hype for MW2 was unreal, I mean MW1 had hype but no one knew it would be that good, the whole package. The multiplayer progression, the singleplayer, the maps. It was bang on. MW2 had way worse balance but it really felt like an arcade shooter with how fast it was and how crazy the killstreaks were at the time.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

BF2042 is in a much better place now, they brought back the class system, balance seems to be ok as well. It's on gamepass as well. Runs great on PC.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Nuts and Gum posted:

The actual combat feels good!! And then there’s more cutscenes!

I downloaded it haven't touched it yet. But that gives me some hope, maybe the ok combat + Mick Gordon ost will be good enough.

exquisite tea posted:

First Chairman Xi would personally spy on me every time I used the Epic Games launcher, now none other than Vladmir Illyich Putin himself is profiting off every Atomic Hearts download. Will gamers never know peace.

Do we know if Gamepass works like that? I am guessing day one for a brand new big game Microsoft is paying them a fixed amount. So the reviews are meh to terrible and you can just play it for free on gamepass. Don't see how that benefits them that much. Btw Mick Gordon is donating his earnings from the game to a Ukraine charity.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Alchenar posted:

Back for Blood was at least complete and playable and you could get through it once before realising that the L4D magic wasn't there. This just looks like it'll be frustrating and bad from minute one.

The setting and idea seems better than just bad L4D but seems like the execution isn't there. Also Valve will hopefully someday do L4D justice.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Anyone playing right now want to party up? Just started solo, ai is definitely poo poo...

Getting 90-120 fps on 3090 + 5975x on Epic settings with DLSS on performance. There is definitely some random tears here and there. Weird popping as well.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Performance isn't bad but there is definitely dips but for most part I am running at around 90-120 fps at 1440p on performance. I have dipped to 60 but not below it defintely is not stable thats for sure. Whats crazy is the popping.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ya had to make an account to play it. I was about to uninstall right there. Done a few missions. It's ok but how come you can't even join other people's games, you literally have to invite people to get a lobby going or am I missing something?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Soul Glo posted:

uninstalled redfall, lifes too short to play that lovely mess

Ya this is what I did. I think the 4/10 doesn't make sense to me. It definitely is like a 6-7/10 type game, you can go through it just fine. It ran really well on my PC so I didn't have much performance issue but the abilities feel really uninspired and the gunplay is bad. If they atleast nailed one of those two the gameplay would have been much more enjoyable. Right now the gameplay is fine but there are so many good poo poo to play. I still haven't played Dishonored so I rather just play that on gamepass.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

ZeeBoi posted:

Redfall reminds me of those unity asset flip games that litter steam where you run around empty, generic, copy/pasted areas and simply shoot brainless enemies. But with a budget and some artistic direction.

And a marketing budget, the cgi marketing looked pretty decent, really made you think this is a triple a game and not baked 30fps crap. They really screwed by showing 60fps in all the previews.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I think with how poor Playstation event was, with loads of CGI trailers, lack of first party games and no real exclusives. If Xbox actually can deliver some of their Bethesda/First party games with some gameplay trailers they could get a big change of sentiment from Redfall + Phil interview aftermath.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

this wont happen unfortunately. phil admitted defeat.

Don't worry if Bethesda can actually release good games from their good studios like ID, MachineGames, Tango that could be enough honestly as long as they show gameplay. Playstation showed a million service cgi trailers then Spiderman 2 gameplay which did look great. But everything else is cross platform. And we know Xbox will put some great third party games day one gamepass like Wu Long. If we get poo poo like Persona 3 Remake Day one on gamepass and more Japanese support that would be amazing.

I think the bar is so freaking low for Xbox they really shouldn't be able to gently caress this up.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Lol the adoring fan from Oblivion is back in Starfield

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Really good show by Xbox. I really think they will blow Playstation away if the Activision Blizzard deal passes through. 11 first party games is already so much and we still didn't get anything from some of their biggest studios. And playstation is pivoting into liveservice games which imo playstation hardcore audience won't like.

Also Gamepass keeps winning.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Thoughts, big win for customers, big blow to Sony and not sure how much Microsoft the parent company will benefit from this.

Sony fans who think this won't affect them are beyond delusional. Playstation is my main console but I have gamepass and this will just increase it's value 10x. Microsoft's game pipeline will completely blow Playstation out of the water. I think that Sony will now look to issue debt and aqcuire more studios. They probably thought this would be delayed bit longer.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

My goodness how good is Hi-Fi Rush, it truly is the whole package. Hopefully it wins some poo poo at the Game Awards, it definitely is excellent in many areas. Like just comparing a game like Spiderman, Spiderman is so incredibly generic it uses many of the same game mechanics as Ubisoft open world that get torn to shreds but if you hear the talk about Spiderman it gets lauded as some masterpiece, it's fun but very generic. If Hi-Fi Rush was made by Capcom or a Playstation studio people would literally never shut up about it.

Also gamepass is still the best thing in gaming imo, this was probably one of it's best year, before they even start adding ABK poo poo. It had a perfect blend of different genres, more games from Japan than ever before. Really exciting time to be an Xbox fan or gamepass user. Meanwhile I hate the direction Sony is going with developing a million live service games and remaking unnecessary games like Tlou2/Horizon1. I still play the PS5 since I love their single player exclusives and Square Enix exclusives. But they are moving away from my interests slowly.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

the rat fandom posted:

The square enix exclusives are doing a lot of heavy lifting for PlayStation as almost anything else I’d want to play on the platform are either on pc or switch. I also don’t like Sonys current direction, but the idea of supporting the company that’s actively paying mountains of cash to devalue my platform of choice leaves a really bad taste in my mouth and ensures that I really do not want a ps5.

Edit: also hifi rush is a phenomenal game and it is criminally under appreciated.

Ya I still like their singleplayer exclusives(minus Spidey) but those seem to have slowed down as well since they decided to blow their whole spending on SaaS games. There was some news that the new CEO has canceled a bunch of those, hopefully they can use the resources to make new ips/games instead of remaking Last of Us again.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

Those games probably don’t happen, the way GaaS is trending

Look at how Destiny 2 has gone to poo poo and Bungie had to lay off a bunch of people

Ya I feel like that's where it's headed. If Bungie who are the godfathers of GaaS especially on the console space, can't get it right then it's gonna be extremely hard for anyone else. To me it just feels like a panick move with the ABK deal. A majority of Sony's revenue is from 3rd party games like CoD/Fortnite. Their mentality reminds me of a venture capital fund, they don't care if 9/10 of these GaaS fail they just need one of them to hit to 10x their investment. Well they got 10 years of CoD so they have until then to get a big hit of their own. I am a playstation fan too so I would have probably liked them not to pivot so hard.

So BG3 will get announced for Xbox at the game awards at least the release date, I wonder if there is any chance they pushed for it on gamepass.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

John F Bennett posted:

Game pass leaks for first half December ?

Remnant II (Cloud, Console, and PC): Already available
Remnant: From The Ashes (Cloud, Console, and PC): Now Available
SteamWorld Build (Cloud, Console, and PC): Available Day One on December 1
Far Cry 6 (Cloud, Console, and PC)
World War Z: Aftermath (Cloud, Console, and PC)
Goat Simulator 3 (Cloud, Console, and PC)
Rise of the Tomb Raider (Cloud, Console, and PC)
Against the Storm (PC)
Clone Drone in the Danger Zone (Cloud, Console, and PC)
Tin Hearts (Cloud, Console, and PC)
While the Iron's Hot (Cloud, Console, and PC)
Spirit of the North: Enhanced Edition (Cloud, Console, and PC)

from https://www.dealabs.com/magazine/ga...pass-core-35751

Gamepass value is out of this loving universe. Really interested in Remnant 2 as a big souls fan but I have a huge backlog and buy way too many poo poo anyway(less now with gamepass). Heard awesome things from most souls fans about it. It seems like one of the issues was performance on PC at launch being very buggy but it's better now.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Soul Glo posted:

FC6 is solidly good.

It knows it’s a video game. It winks about this directly to the player. “Blowing poo poo up is fun,” is the reason the old revolutionary gives the player character.

There’s quality of life improvements like reducing looting animations so youre not skinning animals or whatever. The plot doesn’t hinge on icky both sidesisms like 4’s path choices, it doesn’t force you down plot hallways like 5’s kidnapping sections. There’s no side-eye worthy colonialism like 3.

I am a modern FC apologist; I enjoy playing them, but 6 is the first one that I would say doesn’t have a bunch of easy poo poo to point at to say it sucks. It’s an open world shootyman, it is still One Of These, but it’s a fun one, without reservation.

e: i played the piss5 version i have no idea how it runs on the xbox or pc

Ya Ubisoft games are super formulaic and lack creativity but they have great production value and usually the settings are fun to explore. For me they are the perfect filler game, I will make some nice tea and find a long interesting podcast. Play FC or AC on the side. I usually get burned out after I play one of those so I take a break from them after I am done.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

ColdPie posted:

I send Microsoft a check for $5 every month on top of my Gamepass payment because I think they charge too little!!

Ya I feel like PS+ is a real ripoff. Gamepass regular is so drat good. I use to buy way too many new games, now with game pass, I buy half the games I need to. I am always late due to my backlog so I don't mind waiting few months to play a few new releases.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

kri kri posted:

I wish I got more out of my GP sub, oh well. I usually play the same game or 2 for months.

It depends month to month but the quality is so high these days with all the partners Microsoft has and the million studios they bought. I do love that there is a mix of every type of genres and singleplayer + multiplayer. I tried out Battlefield 2042 thanks to gamepass. I really hope they keep getting more deals with Japanese devs as thats the only games I usually buy since they don't come to Gamepass as often but it seems its starting to change.

Btw anyone played Sniper Elite 5, I have been wanting to give the series a try forever. Been in a kick for FPS/military games so if you have any other game pass recommendation let me know.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Vice City huh, was one of my favorite locations after San Andreas. Definitely hyped and the visuals look amazing.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

GTA is the perfect sandbox game, with some really fun missions, funny writing and characters. Then on top of that it has the crazy online mode. I haven't played the latest GTA online but I was a big fan of it in GTA4.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

kri kri posted:

Because games get removed from gamepass.

Also your 5 paragraph diatribe could have been 1 sentence.

Ya usually a game being on gamepass doesn't dissuade from buying the game but from not buying the bad ones. I get to try a bunch of games for any amount of hours with no refund policy like Steam.

Like in the past I would have 100% bought something like Atomic Heart and then regretted later. That game looked gorgeous but imo on release it was a bit too buggy. Honestly it just seems like such a waste to buy games on release in the modern era. Games release half rear end all the time, even Baldur's Gate 3 apparently had issues in the third act. By the time I got it, it was already fixed. Even by waiting a few months you can save $20-30 on brand new games.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

raccoon.bmp posted:

Assistance making the 10 live service games they want to have out within 3 years, and hope that Destiny 2 will pick back up at some point and Marathon will be a success in 2025 I guess.

Covert agent Jim Ryan trying to tank Sony.

As for Avatar, graphically it looks good, maybe its a bit like Far Cry Primal. Ubisoft open world can be fun if the setting/location is interesting but I am not a fan of just lush green jungle place. This is why I wish Ubisoft was on Gamepass, their games are perfect gamepass fodder and have lots of content.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

American McGay posted:

I feel like everyone who praises BG3 never actually got out of Act I.

Ya totally, it's crazy that so many people are spending 100+ hours in act 1, doing multiple playthroughs of just act 1 only...

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Jables88 posted:

Never play two Ubisoft games in anything like quick succession.

Please to find it's finally been long enough for me to enjoy one again just as FarCry 6 drops.

It's gruel but nourishing. I will clear the hell out of some maps.

This should be the first word in every Ubisoft game thread. I for the life me cannot understand how anyone can go from Origin to Odyssey to Valhalla. And I REFUSE to believe you didn't lose brain cells doing that.

That's coming from someone who has played all AC games till Odyssey and has played the first 3 Far Cry games, played many other ubisoft games like Ghost Recon Wildlands, For Honor, Watch Dogs.

So I do like their generic template copy pasta design because sometimes the setting and production value can carry it. But I will never play their games back to back because by the end of their games you end up being tired of the useless open world activities and the main story isn't strong either so just mainlining it isn't fun either.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Professor Beetus posted:

A shameful list tbh, but at least Starfield has the excuse of being the next big Bethesda game

e: GTA V is the most surprising to me, because the online can be fun but it's also has some of the scummiest monetization I've seen outside of mobile games. I guess I am just assuming that it's people playing online driving up those numbers but GTAV is a pretty fun game for loving around in so maybe not

I don't know, all those games are really fun and have good to great gameplay. Often the issue with these games is the monetization. Like Fortnite is absolutely one of the most mindblowing games I've ever played, it's crazy how much content you are getting for free and the battlepass is so so loving generous, you don't have to pay $50 then grind 10-20 hours to unlock everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

kri kri posted:

Yet starfield has neither of those

Ya I meant minus starfield. I have yet to play it but to me it just looks like FO4 with slightly better gunplay and ship customization.