Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Zaphod42 posted:

Haha, must have mixed something up when I was skimming. I feel like *somebody* was complaining... scholar? I always mix up AST and SCH. They're non-WHM healers... same thing!

Literally the only complaint I've seen from AST players was one person wanting to know if the lord/lady cards are random or if burning certain cards generates one or the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Ainsley McTree posted:

One more newbie question about potd; are there aetherpool rating cutoffs I should be aiming for before proceeding to the next set of floors? I just finished floor 50 last night and I'm not sure if I should forge on ahead to 100, or go back to floor 1, I didn't see anything in-game suggesting how geared I'm supposed to be before moving forward.

And it's floor 101+ where the game stops loving around and starts actually getting hard, right?

Unless you're trying to solo (do not do this), anything that the game will let you in with is good enough.

Also you have to get to 150 before the game stops loving around, things are just HP sponges from 101-149.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

my dude it is Literally The Same Game

Yea but with more Europeans.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Ocatamai posted:

Is the rest of the boat not good enough for ya?!

To be fair the boat has started exploding again.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Computer science is less a science and more mystical voodoo bullshit. MMOs in particular have a tendency to run on barely functional spaghetti code where even something as simple as changing the back stab damage multiplier on a rouge's ability causes all of the NPCs in the barrens to die.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Yea if all they have to do is take one zone offline for "a few minutes" to fix it I'd imagine it's much simpler than fixing the instance servers.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

At the Great Melee in Heavensward, does everyone fight Raubahn at the end or is it GC specific?

It's always Raubahn (hard).

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Aphrodite posted:

The gap between tiers is gigantic now anyway. Nearly a whole year between Zidane and Squall cosplay.

I'm pretty sure that's why they are adopting a new system.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

I kinda hope they don't do anything so I can watch him have another melt down.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Thundarr posted:

Has anybody verified whether or not you can still get credit towards the Garo mounts in SB? If so, does the Feast give any meaningful xp or only Frontlines?

The Feast gives about 2 quests worth of exp for at most 8 minutes of work. I personally like it more that 72 man shatter roulette. Also you CAN still get credit towards the garo mounts.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

ilifinicus posted:

The movement abilities in this game are funny like that;
- for the purposes of targeted AOE, your hitbox is where you hit the at button until you land at your destination, plus server lag
- for poo poo in your PATH to the location, your hitbox is ALSO there, because as far as the server is concerned, you are indeed moving to that location, something you also visually are doing
- for poo poo that triggers upon seeing you within it's line of sight and having a reaction based on that, you are present at the origin point and at the destination at the same time, but not in the line towards the destination

this is the same for all movement abilities, including Elusive Jump, Aetherial Manipulation, Rescue, Plunge, Shoulder Tackle, et cetera

Also if there is a cliff between the origin point and the destination you will fall off. (See: dragoon jumping across the gap on Ozma's platform)

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Minrad posted:

don't play frontlines and expect balance or a use for melee classes

Samurai are absolute terrors against anything that doesn't have a WAR puppy guarding them. Dragoons are great for securing kills and getting away with it your jumps are on such a low cooldown that the world is your trampoline to zip around on. All 3 tanks are great. I don't have monk or ninja but of the two monk seems to do fine and only ninja has real issues consistently. Melee in PvP is fine.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i mean, if you popped diversion, you're managing your aggro. i'm not asking anyone to sit on empty gcds, it's just stupid when someone would rather gently caress up an entire pull and have the tank have to run around grouping up six scattered mobs because they couldn't pop diversion.

Play better.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

oh sorry i missed the change where healers don't get interrupted anymore lmao my bad dude

Stop standing in dumb.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

A Spider Covets posted:

I still love him he's so good

Can't get over the fact that he's a loving sentient sword that wields himself lmao.

That's Odin's thing too.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Yeah, whatever you do, don't actually buy Garo gear with MGP until the PVP vendor is removed. It's dreadfully priced and getting the marks for it currently is a matter of a hour or two at most effort. If by effort you count standing around taking pot shots at people

Also the MGP replicas can't be dyed. Which limits your options a good deal. Especially since most of the gear looks significantly better once it's dyed.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

I've wiped because we had a healer do this exact thing. Hit a summoning trap while also dealing with the wandering enemies, couldn't handle them all without heals and died. Not once did they move until the enemies came for them, and by then it was too late.

Actually in this case his mistake was trying to help you at all, if you don't do anything to get on a mobs agro table it'll reset once it's target dies letting the healer revive you without any issue.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

SKULL.GIF posted:

How often were you actually able to execute 11 GCDs in a row on a target in "old PVP" and how much of this is theorycraft?

Getting 11 GCDs off on a target only ever happened against big ice in the 8v8v8 shatter, and even that's a stretch.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

The whole "complexity" thing in old PvP is dumb (and also entirely wrong) because a single healer could out heal and entire party's damage.

All your stupid loving theorycrafting couldn't defeat my autohotkey macro that pushes "1" every 2.35 seconds.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Minrad posted:

some people liked pvp pre stormblood. hell, some people liked 1.0

that doesnt mean they didnt deserve to be wiped from the earth

Re-activate the coils. Bahamut's mission remains incomplete.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Thundarr posted:

I'm mildly disappointed that Gilgamesh doesn't photobomb one of the floors given the theme of Deltascape, but other than that this raid tier delivers on the fanservice and the fights are pretty fun too.

I am still confused about one of the v2.0 mechanics after multiple runs though. What exactly determines which tentacle will be safe to stand by? I've heard that they eat your levitation, but I've levitated and re-levitated next to one only for a tentacle on the far side of the map to lose its glow and become the safe spot. Or is it just random?

The marker above one or more of the tentacles will go away, that indicates that tentacle will not use it's attack. I didn't run it enough to confirm it yet but I think you need someone still standing on the ground to touch the tentacle to check if the mark stays or goes away.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Sinteres posted:

Alternately, ask goons to go with you so you can watch cutscenes and fight bosses. There's no guarantee everyone will drop what they're doing, but a lot of goons are very pro-cutscene and think people deserve to enjoy that instance without being screamed at by pubbies.

A single level 60 paladin can solo all of prae, so you only need to get one or two people.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Toshimo posted:

What modifies the refresh rate on Lucid Dreaming? MND? PIE? DET?

Probably PIE since that's what determines your max MP in the first place.

E: actually PIE is healer only now so :shrug:

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Stalins Moustache posted:

It says that veteran clan bills are posted daily, but I've had the same one on my clan hunt board for about two or three days now. What gives? :(

The text is wrong.

Astroniomix fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 8, 2017

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Clarste posted:

I'm no economist, but I'm pretty sure any healthy market should always involve aggressive undercutting (as long as people aren't selling it for a loss).

Let me tell you about buying materia off the MB and then vendoring it for a profit

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Jimbot posted:

What determines PvP duty giving poetics as rewards? Activity or something like that?

Any job above 49 but below 70 will get poetics, anything at 70 gets verity. For frontlines the job you are at the end of the match is what determines what rewards you get.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

The answer to that is actually to not use sleeve draw until you fill your held slot with something you plan on using.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Umbreon posted:

Man, everytime I hear about a function not being able to change in a game that's been out for years, it's always because "X hardcoded Y and everything references it". It almost feels like no game dev should be hardcoding anything with how much games can change.

This is true of almost everything TBH.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Early/Mid HW spoilers: Not too far off the mark. You know those times where you kinda black out and appear before the Mothercrystal? She basically had one of those and got new orders, so to speak.

2.5-HW transition cutscenes: I reaaaally wonder what Teledji thought he was accomplishing by provoking Raubahn with all but confessing to the murder of his platonic life partner...

I think he believed that :sloppy: would protect him

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

:toot:

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Umbreon posted:

How do you get that dogge

Snakemomex

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Mordiceius posted:

And what would be your advice to someone queuing as a healer?

Get a friend to queue with you. There isn't really anything you can do as a healer to force your team to kill the enemy team, best case is you can try to find a good dps and babysit them.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

KoB posted:

Sorry, I meant Ive got the quest and if I can run the dungeons as any class as long as the weapon's in my inventory.

Current quest is running Sohm Al, Gubal, and SomethingElse hard modes.

The weapon needs to be equipped when you leave the dungeon for it to count.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

vOv posted:

IIRC you can solo Titan Hard, you just have to burst him really hard so he doesn't have time to gaol you.

Actually at 70 the gaols don't do enough damage to kill you.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

jalapeno_dude posted:

...and what happens then?

IIRC you have to go do the quest that unlocks it.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Automated Posting posted:

More newbie questions. What stats should I be looking for on gear as a Dragoon? I just finished the level 45 quest which gave me most of the level 45 Drachen set. It has less Defensive stats than the nice HQ level 46/47 set I crafted for myself while leveling armorer and leatherworker, but more of the offensive ones.

To be specific, the five Drachen pieces (including the level 50 chestpiece I'll get eventually) have 145 less Defense, 268 less Magic Defense, 6 more Strength, Vitality, and Direct Hit Rate, 24 more Determination, 20 more Crit, and 35 more Skill Speed. It also lacks the 11 Materia slots the L46/47 set has.

Based on that I'd go with the L46/47 set and maybe slot it with some cheap materia, because that sounds like a lot of defense to me, but it occurs to me that I actually have no idea how effective/useful the Defense stat is, or whether or not I should be trying to get it high.

Bonus glamour question: the wiki tells me that if I take the appearance of one item and put it on another item, I don't lose the item that had it's appearance copied, unlike every other MMO I've ever played that had this sort of dress-up system. That's pretty great. It also means I can repeatedly copy one item's appearance onto other gear, yes?

Yes, also dyeable items that are used as a glamour can still be dyed after the fact.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Kingtheninja posted:

So which FC on Excalibur is the gooniest one for me to join?

TPT.

https://gfycat.com/EmptyFastHeron

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

You know, I was talking about throwing together a Deltascape Savage linkshell/static for newbies, slows, and filthy casuals in Discord the other night. I have no idea if there'd be any interest in it, but it is quite hard to get into that stuff if you haven't unlocked it within a week of it launching, since established statics will usually tell you to go away and Raid/Party Finder is ehhhhhhhhhh.

I'd be interested in this too, my work schedule is super chaotic so I can't ever commit to a set raid time and trying to PF things is a nightmare.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

There's about $500 worth of bad decisions in this picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

Where's the bad decision?

Letting me drive the train.