Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

JoshTheStampede posted:

Hopefully that means an official one is imminent.

They probably got a C/D for the images, moreso than the points.

Probably also for using patreon to try to turn a profit off the GW IP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Finally finished rebasing everything to match on 32mm bases (with the exception of the storm raven, waiting on a new base from ebay so I don't have to scrape it off). The primaris models are really nice to paint, and the new transfers are much easier to use than the old ones (this may in part be because they aren't 10+ years old). I'm about to go to the store and hopefully play my first game in years.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Zuul the Cat posted:

gently caress YES. These are gorgeous! What's your yellow recipe on the Primaris Ancient banner?

Thanks! It was pretty simple, just light grey primer, Averland Sunset, agrax wash, averland again, then yriel yellow highlights. It really came down to painting thin coats.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Thank god, my blood angels get their assault squad melta guns back.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Alokgen posted:

Finished another clown car today.

Someday I hope to be half as good as you. The pattern + gradient is amazing.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Got to play my 2nd game of 8th last night. Spent way too much time trying to reference things and forgetting auras, so I made this PDF of all the auras, weapons and unit stats I'm likely to use (for blood angels). Figured I'd share here for anyone who might find it useful. http://docdro.id/jX9TlyY

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Zark the Damned posted:

Well you see GW has to take some units out to compensate for all the unique units BA get. You can't just have all the base SM stuff and add all the special snowflake stuff on top of it, that'd just be silly.

Reminder: the blood angels army that's all about jump packs and flyers and got the stormraven first can't use either the stormhawk or stormtalon. I'm betting that as soon as the space marine codex drops i'll be running generic "red marines" because we'll be even more screwed. From the battlereport they streamed on twitch on friday, intercessors came in 10 man squads and inceptors in 5 man squads. Somehow I'm doubting blood angels will get either of those, or the other new primaris stuff since GW said that we're supposed to keep using the index until our codex releases.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

JoshTheStampede posted:

Except intercessors and inceptors are both on the BA list, and you always use the most recent version of a data sheet. So BAs will use the codex Intercessors when the codex drops.

Not actually true, unless I'm completely misreading this:

If I have a Blood Angels, Dark Angels or Space Wolves army, will I need to buy Codex: Space Marines to use my army?
You don’t have to. Other Space Marines factions not covered in the new codex will continue to use all the datasheets, rules and points values in the index until their own codex is released. Rules for new models not covered in the index (like the upcoming Redemptor Dreadnought) will be available in the box with the model and matched play points for these units will be made available online.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/07/05/codexes-your-questions-answered-july-5gw-homepage-post-2/

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer
New Blood Angels from me. The tanks were my first try pre-shading, and when I was putting the basecoat on I was too cautious of not covering over the shading and missed some of the undersides. Not too bothered since you can't see it on the table.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I can't decide if I love these guys because of how much character they have, or hate them because of how much fiddly detail every single one has. Looking forward to painting some primaris without a billion skulls and ropes and blood drops next.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

DiHK posted:

Does anybody have some waterslide transfers they're willing to part with for Blood Angels, particularly shoulder and vehicle "winged blood drops"?

Drop a PM.

Check ebay for dark imperium transfer sheets. Each one is enough for 18 guys, and I think I bought a few for $5. Much nicer transfers than old transfer sheets too.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer
GW updated the primaris points PDF, screwing blood angels yet again. We can't take power swords on intercessors, but can take a chainsword. And we can add the new non-primaris lieutenants to the list of things (contemptor dreads, cataphractii and tartaros terminators, non-stormraven fliers, land speeder storm, centurions) that we inexplicably can't take. I know everyone else is waiting for their codexes too, but it really feels bad to see the other marines getting toys that we can't use. I'm getting closer and closer to running mine as generic red marines for the next few months.

https://www.games-workshop.com/reso...4_July_29th.pdf

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone else feel like the sicaran venator is a bit overpowered? I just had a game where it knocked 12 wounds off a storm raven turn 1 and spent the next 3 turns 1-shotting a razorback every turn. My opponent didn't have much on the way of antitank, but it felt really powerful.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Texmo posted:

Why not call them and find out?

He could probably even email them to minimize any need of social interaction!

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Goddamn that's nice. How did you do the heat marks on the gatling cannon?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Is the fire raptor kit painful to build? I've heard that the storm eagle is usually very warped, but haven't heard much about the raptor.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone here actually know what points cost I use for a power fist in a blood angel army? GW has said that I can use codex space marines datasheets for any units that I can take off the SM index, but they haven't clarified anywhere what set of points to use for them. Since C:SM supersedes the space marines datasheets and points list from the index, and is the newest set of points for that equipment, it makes sense to me to use the points from the codex, but people on bolter&chainsword claim that since we're not a codex chapter we don't use those points values, just the datasheets.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer
So uhh aggressors are really good. 3 guys, standing next to a captain, evaporated ~10 death company in a single round of shooting twice in a row. Not sure if the aggressors are amazing or my opponent was an idiot for dropping 2x15 death company out in the open, whiffing their charges, and having his only antitank be a single missile launcher in 2000 points.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Just look at the DA and BA kits for that nonsense ruining them. The DA all got swords or reliquaries on their backs, and the Blood Angels Tacticals are straight up wearing Trump's apartment.

Things I bought 1 of and will not buy another: BA tactical squads. Way too much bling. The sanguinary guard and death company are pretty bad for being over-detailed too. Really enjoying painting up primaris, even the characters don't have too much random poo poo.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I own a bunch of them (kr multicase) with custom foam for my poo poo. Works really well, I've never had a broken part or chipped paint (except 1 assault marine completely incapable of keeping his jump pack on). The only real downside I see to them is that they're fairly bulky and if you have a lot of vehicles they take up a ton of space, but that's probably true for anyones cases.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

PantsOptional posted:

Oh, here's a question on the subject of KR storage: has KR adjusted/suggested any of their pre-cut trays for Bigmars? I know that they have trays that fit smallboys for both the 25 and 32 mm bases but those aren't really cut for bigly height.

I put my aggressors in a terminator tray, but my normal hellblasters/intercessors fit nicely in an N4H or N3H tray (https://www.krmulticase.com/product/trays/N3H). The N4H is a little bit short so the front rim of the base sticks up, but that doesn't seem to be an issue.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Too many words, not enough pictures. Blood angel poo poo I've finished recently. The decals on the repulsor are a little hosed. I didn't get a good enough gloss coat on before putting the decals on. Oh well, at 350 points I don't know how often I'll be fielding it.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Deified Data posted:

:five:

What's your photo setup? I've only recently become dissatisfied with taking lovely cellphone pics on my kitchen table.

Ignoring the actual gear I'm using (I'm a product photographer for a living, so I'd bet my poo poo is fancier than what you'd get), it's basically a roll of black paper swept down onto a table with a piece of black acrylic on the bottom. A large softbox behind the camera, a white card to the right of the modes and a focused light off to the left and behind.

here's a rough diagram: http://prntscr.com/g8j8tu

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

!Klams posted:

this is my kitbashed Tech Marine that I use as Belesarius Cawl.is incredibly badass.

Fixed your post, that looks awesome.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Do you have any guides or suggestions for us peons who don't do this for a living? Any entry level gear or stuff that would go a long way towards making good pics?

A real camera with manual controls, a tripod, and a grey card (https://www.amazon.com/Anwenk-Balance-Exposure-Photography-Calibration/dp/B01DPV5PUA) is the most important thing. If you've got that, you can use window light and a long exposure and get a great result. The GW guide (https://www.warhammer-community.com/2016/11/13/the-model-photo-how-to-photograph-models-for-display/) is actually not bad. Make sure to check your camera manual for how to use the grey card to set your white balance, it's absolutely key to getting color accurate photos.

Whether you follow GWs tutorial or mine, turn off any lights in the room you're in. They're probably lower quality and coming from a bad direction, so will contaminate the shot.

To try to match me:
Get the camera as low as you can. No, lower. The closer you can get it to level with the base the more heroic they'll look.

Get a roll of paper (either black or white or both, depending on what you want) https://www.amazon.com/HEWLETT-PACKARD-HPQ1396A-HP-UNVRSL-PAPER/dp/B008AUFFKW
If you want the reflection, get a sheet of acrylic from your local plastic supplier. In Seattle and apparently Portland and a fair bit of California I'd use Tap Plastics. Thin is fine. If you tell them what you're doing with it they'll usually know what you want.

For the main light (behind the camera, maybe a little bit offset to the right) you want something as big as you can get. Easy way to do that is to get something like this(https://www.amazon.com/Woods-0151-150-Watt-8-5-Inch-Reflector/dp/B000HHQ94C), put the brightest/highest CRI daylight bulb you can find in it (something like https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/114155/LED-00863.html, I think a par30 will fit in that fixture), put it a few feet behind the camera, and then a sheer curtain (something like $5 for a pair at ikea) in between immediately behind the camera. This'll get you most of the way there, then just add another of those fixtures with a less bright bulb and a narrower beam (maybe this one https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/117795/LED-01639.html) behind and to the left. Throw a folded piece of printer paper as a reflector on the immediate right side and you're as close to there as I think you'll get.

Just take it into photoshop, deepen the blacks on the background a little bit, clean up dust and you're done.

A final thought, instead of those nice LED bulbs if you can still get incandescent bulbs they'll work perfectly, by definition an incandescent or halogen bulb has a CRI of 100. Never use fluorescent, they're universally garbage and should be relegated to the trashheap of history.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Safety Factor posted:

The red is fantastic, but I'm going to be honest here: I think the lack of highlights on details like the gold is holding the models back. Gold really benefits from a two step highlight with a lighter gold and bright, bright silver on the sharpest edges. Give it a shot. :)

Critique is the entire reason I post poo poo. It's already gotten an auric highlight (I think), but I'll go in and tap edges with a little bit of mithril when I get home

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Shadin posted:

I’m about to invest in these, what’s the totally pro method of use for each?

Gloss where you're applying the decal. Slap some microset on that area and keep the brush moist with it while you position the decal. Carefully dry it with a paper towel. Wait a few minutes, slap some microsol over. Let it dry, repeat until there are no wrinkles. Varnish over.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

moths posted:

I was confused for ages because you put the microSET on first. Not last, to help out set.

Vallejo has a guide that really helps you through, but you need to know to look for it.

I sharpied a 1 and a 2 on the lids of mine so I know which to use first.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Are Aggressors worth anything or it safe to say that Intercessors and Hellblasters are all you need?

I'm a big fan of mine. 130ish points for 3, with a ton of shots. Fairly mobile too if they need to be since they can advance and shoot with no penalty. Along with hellblasters they've become nearly an auto include.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

panascope posted:

Baby steps. You can't just jump right to krokodil

It really is krokodil. When I got back into 40k with 8th I picked up a sicaran venator because it looked cool, and in just a few months I've added a spartan, leviathan, deimos vindicator, have a second leviathan, a fire raptor, and a jetbike squad on their way, and have been staring at more FW dreads.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

panascope posted:

Cum play Horus Heresy m'lard

I only have 10 painted tactical marines, and don't really want to buy the heresy books until they release angelus. Plus, nobody at my local store plays 30k. Unless PNW crew is in the Seattle area?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Zuul the Cat posted:

How compatible are 30k and 40k models? Can you run some of the cool rear end dreads, like the Leviathans, in 40k?

Yes, the FW bok Index: forces of the adeptus astartes has rules for various contemptors, the leviathan, the deredo, and the chaplain dread. My leviathan dread has been doing so well in 40k I'm considering not running it even though I love the model. For 360 points it will remove any tank/elite infantry squad it gets within charge range of, and with t8, 14w, a 2+ save and a 4+ invuln it doesn't have any issue getting there.

Of course, this might be because my store (mox in Bellevue for seagoons) seems mostly filled with people just getting started and having little/no anti-tank, so a couple dreads/tanks just walk all over their armies.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Corrode posted:

Is Angelus gonna have Sanguinius in? Him and Dorn are basically all I've wanted ever since they started putting Primarchs out.

Nobody knows, but I'd hope/assume so. Sanguinius is the model I want most and will be an instant buy for me. I both want it to happen soon and want it to take a while before they release him because I feel like my skills aren't good enough to do him justice yet.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

TTerrible posted:

The Sicaran mould is a piece of poo poo.

I found it the exact opposite, mine went together trivially. Nothing warped, casting gates in fairly decent places. A bit of mold slip on the barrel, but that was fixable without even any putty. Unlike my spartan that I wanted to murder. Are you mistaken in which you're thinking of?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

TTerrible posted:

Not at all. When did you pick it up? They may have renewed the mould.

The top/front part of mine was twisted so badly in all three directions that it was fit only for terrain. Heating it up enough to make the thick parts malleable would have destroyed the thinner front plate. Forge Worlds amazing customer service told me to eat poo poo. Someone else in my group got one that wasn't quite as bad and they managed to get it together but it still has a good1-2cm gap on one side. They're happy with that so :shrug:

The Sicaran was at one point known for this particular problem. They may have fixed it.

I ordered mine in early June of this year. So maybe they fixed the mold. When did you and Safety Factor order yours?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Pendent posted:

I'm told the other missions for Konor have been similarly un-fun.

How would you like a mission where you deploy across the short edges, the defenders (imperium) get VPs for killing things and bonus VPs for killing with a vehicle, and the attackers get VPs for killing or getting things off the board, with bonus VP if they get a vehicle off the board? I played a couple games of it with my blood angels and trivially won all but 1. The one game I lost the guy ran 3x devilfish, each with 2 squads inside, and 4 hammerheads. Since they have fly I couldn't block them or anything and he got too many off the board for me to ever come back from by turn 3. The other games I won because dreadnoughts are vehicles and for all the people just starting with 8th they mostly don't have any vehicles or antitank, so they could neither quickly cross the board or kill dreads.

While I think the campaign is somewhat interesting, I think the missions they're coming up with have been fairly bad, especially if they want to use the campaign to hook the people who bought dark imperium. This week's mission isn't as bad in comparison as last I don't think, but next week will probably have special rules/strategems for flyers and fast attack, and the week after that for lords of war/terrain, so they're probably going to end up terrible.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Uroboros posted:

Speaking of big expensive units, I am on the cusp of ordering a Leviathan Dread, maybe 2. Anyone have experience playing with one or assembling it? Anything I should look out for?

I recommend the Raven over the Crusader for one simply reason, the raven won't be prevented from shooting if it gets charged.

Mine assembled really easily, and as far as playing with a melta Lance and siege drill it murders everything it sees. Easily my favorite model in my army. Almost a must take, but 360 points is a lot and it seems a bit too powerful.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Zuul the Cat posted:

It isn't. A painting service did a giveaway for it.

But it's still rad as gently caress.

Waiting on my Talons of the Emperor set to arrive, along with some Sisters of Silence bits i ordered off Shapeways.

I don't think i'm going to be able to replicate that color of gold, but we'll see what I can do. I grabbed the Legio Custodes transfer sheet from Forgeworld as well, so I can add some stuff do the Land Raider & two Contemptor Dreadnoughts I grabbed.

Speaking of custodes, I don't know if you've seen these https://imgur.com/gallery/mSzAF

I really like the black base + gold filigree on the telemon dread

Making me want to add some custodes to my army, though it's frustrating that all the cool dreads are 30k only and I can only transport them in a lascannon land raider.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer
This fire raptor is the most painful model I've built to date. That includes a chinacast spartan. I've glued my hand to my hairdryer 4 times so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

panascope posted:

_________________/

Yes, I play eve, what of it? I have resin to spend $5 on rather than changing the avatar someone bought me.