Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

berserker posted:

Corpse explosion is so underwhelming and I know it's really because the graphics are half-assed. Can they really not just make it so you're actually exploding the actual corpse?
I'm gonna guess that they really can't. Monster corpses don't particularly stick around in D3 - they get physics'd all over the place and like all of the elemental critical-kill effects either destroy or dismember them. That's the entire reason the whole "corpse" resource thingy exists, I imagine.

Then again, I really like CE, so /shrug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
I was somewhat hoping that a non-LotD CE build would be workable, since I'm really not a fan of the whole "Archon build" dynamic it uses. Basically using Flesh Golem/golem corpse gauntlets/RoRG instead. Hopefully that'll be just good enough, since I'm not worried about pushing leaderboards or anything.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Heaps of Sheeps posted:

(use the numlock trick for Devour or switch it to the aura)
Unfortunately, Cannibalize is pretty much non-negotiable in Trag builds because you're using it to offset health costs which the aura won't do.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Klauser posted:

Having a legendary effect in the cube and also on a piece of gear you have equipped is redundant, they don't stack. It just uses the one from the cube and ignores the one on your equipped item.
And in that case you'd run a Haunt of Vaxo for your extra "pets"!

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

As someone who only plays very casually and doesn't really read the forums, what was the glitch/exploit they were using?
Curse of Frailty was spreading its hilarious overkill damage via the DH Marked for Death rune that causes it to reflect damage in an AoE.

Honestly, the most ridiculous thing about this bug was that literally the same thing happened with Sever early on. How'd that even make it through QA!?

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
What's the threshold for gambling items above your level? Like, wouldn't you need your necromancer to be level 11 to get the mages ring or is it just that that's the lowest potential option so if it rolls orange that's the one you get?

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

DrSeRRoD posted:

I think it only applies to level 1, where there may not be legendaries of a certain type, so it allows you to get the closest ones to your level. This makes gambling for items at level 1 the best if the thing you want is the very first legendary of that type. If there is one before, then you have to wait until the level of the item to gamble, but now you have other possible legendaries.
That makes sense.

Tom Tucker posted:

Is the idea to get a legendary with a powerful enough effect (doubling skeletal mages for instance) that it will last a long time leveling even as you outscale the stats? Is it so you can extract the power from the cube? Both?
Both, basically, with the added point that there are some effects that you're gonna need anyway for your level 70 build. The necro Gift set is the pet one, and finding the ring is going to be a huge limiter on your early power. If you can grab one for essentially free at level 1, it'll save you a bunch of time in the early gearing phase.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
Honestly, I think the biggest problem with skelemages isn't that you have to summon them often. After all, you spent a goodly portion of your time as a summoner in D2 just resummoning skeletons that had died or wandered off.

No, the big issue I have with the spell is that it's completely feedback-less and without impact. In doing my GR20 I was using Scythe of the Cycle mages, and in the heat of battle I often could not tell if my button presses were doing anything at all.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Fat_Cow posted:

Man that seems boring, is the Skele mage spam build the only "Murder everything" one?
Most Inarius builds are probably going to clear everything too.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
I mean, there's "boring" and then there's "monk without Dashing Strike".

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

Their best builds are heavily long cooldown dependent and for me that's a non-starter.
This is literally only important if pushing leaderboards is what you care about, of course. There are tons of different necromancer builds that can do 70-80 just fine, and the 2m cooldowns aren't necessary for all of them (including, incidentally, the Haedrig's Gift for this season).

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

I'm 99.9% sure that the text for Paralysis specifies "lightning skills" meaning it has to come from the Wizard xirself.
As a general rule, item procs don't proc other item procs so none of the legendaries that do lightning damage things should interact with MH.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
I got my GR20 by having a cubed Scythe of the Cycle. No Jesseth, no Evol, nothing fancy. It won't be pretty, but basically just having one decent legendary will do it.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

xiansi posted:

It is the glassiest of glass cannon builds, but the skeleton 'cannon' gets ridiculous with reapers wraps + life from death.
You can build it fairly tanky, if you want. It won't push leaderboards, of course, but the Rathma package on its own shits out enough damage that the casual player could run a defensive build and be 100% fine.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

VodeAndreas posted:

Yeah Rathma for instance does no real damage on its own before the 6p, but does give survivability.

(and you really need Jesseth to make it work for you)
And you certainly don't need ancients, augments, or even particularly high level gems to beat down a 75 with it. Rathma's is maybe a bit of an outlier in that regard, though.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
You know, I've been playing around with various Inarius builds and it's just so... unsatisfying. The basic bonestorm build is boring, and I'm not a fan of LotD. I tried making some CE variants, 'cause CE is the best, but it just mostly just trades damage for cool explosions. They've been okay-ish to 75, but at the end of the day Rathma - even the defensive Esoteric/Decrep/Bone Armor variant - just does way more damage (and is safer, in the case of defensive Rathma). I want to like Inarius, but the comparison just makes it difficult.

On a different note, an easy way to get Avarice is just bounty bags, right? How many T13 bags do you need for that (and does gold find have any effect)?

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

DrSeRRoD posted:

With the other classes out of the way, I know many of you are eagerly awaiting the horse-less crusader challenge rift that takes place in the new cathedral map with twists and turns everywhere you go. Well, you shall not be disappointed. It has a 6pc, decent damage, and some good pylons at least.
Actually, looking at the leaderboards: Hammer-sader doesn't necessarily use the horse anyway. The oddity of wearing ORotZ/cubing CoE aside, it's a Real Build this time!

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Guys I am digging through leaderboards and every Necromancer is TragLance.
If you look closely, there are Rathma builds every so often - they're the ones with the shield as opposed to the phylactery.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Nuebot posted:

Well I can definitely do it. Now if only I'd stop getting rifts that were just massive expansive wastes of time where the walk back after one death just erases all my progress.
Revive... at corpse? You'd have to be in reeeeeally deep to not be able to hit a safe space.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
You know, one of the things I like the most about the LazyStorm build is using Bone Spirit. It's a cool-rear end spell that hits like a nuke, and it's another one of those things where it's rather disappointing that the Good Necromancer Builds are all so niche in what they use. Particularly since the skill pool is so narrow to begin with.

Bone Spirit needs some sort of interaction with Pestilence (at the very least!), Death Nova needs legendary support that isn't complete garbage, and it's a crime that CE builds top out as low as they do.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
Condemn crusader is in my top three favourite builds. I'm doubtful this is anywhere near enough for it to be competitive, but I really hope it comes out okay enough.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

DrSeRRoD posted:

It's going to be the monk starting set next season too, based on the last few cycles. I foresee a lot of monks starting S12.
Hopefully the small line that says "Many Legendary and Set items have had their drop chance increased" means that the Fist of Az won't be rare as poo poo anymore. That was easily the worst part of playing an Uli monk.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
Non-Inarius Bone Armor is the literal worst visual. Thin, creepy necromancer becomes... bone hulk. Blech.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Elysiume posted:

Are you sure? It's still listed as a dagger in the game guide, even with the affix.
Hilariously, it is also listed in the game guide as a ceremonial knife.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
Gamble shields, upgrade 1h scythes.

Gambling for weapons is really bad because you can only target 1h or 2h, which means while you want a scythe you'll also get maces and axes and swords and etc.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
Man, 2.6.1 buffs so many fun builds. We're not anywhere near S12 and I'm already having trouble deciding what I want to do!

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
Yay Condemn buffs!

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
Your shoulders are still dyed white. :v:

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Toshimo posted:

No? Where did you see this, because the existing patch notes have nothing in them that addresses this in any way that I can see.
There are a couple mentions of this in the PTR notes. It's commented on in the changes to: Battle Rage/Bloodshed, Blessed Hammer/Limitless, and the Helltooth Harness 2pc. So it's not "a lot of things", but there're a few.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Rinkles posted:

I'll give it a go tomorrow, thanks. (unless the October 20th deadline meant today not tomorrow was the last day)
Season ends at 5pm PDT.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

PathAsc posted:

I looked a bit and the changes seem neat. I think I missed it, what are the brand new items? I see a lot of updated legendary ones, so maybe I just overlooked them.
There's no new items, or even old items with new powers. Just updates to already existing ones.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Power Bottom posted:

Also, got my first primal!

:shepicide:
u giev soj?

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
Starting fresh means you get the rush of rather rapidly gaining power all over again, and some tangible progress goals with minor reward incentive. Actual endgame D3 is a lot of grinding, and that can get wearing for some people.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

kiwid posted:

Also, can you move the skills around to other spots or are you stuck with that person's bindings?
Yes, you can move around the skills the way you normally would. You are, of course, restricted to precisely the six chosen skill runes, but you could totally leave one empty if you felt like handicapping yourself.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

90s Shoes posted:

did anyone, ever, super adore lon builds? there's some fun ingenuity in building them over sets maybe, but playing them is usually warbled garbage in my experience
The people who are very stuck on "let me play the game my way not the way you want me to, Blizzard!" tend to be the remaining LoN lovers. Because nothing says "choice" like following a mostly predetermined set of items instead of a mostly predetermined set of items!

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
I'm continually weirded out that almost all crusader builds revolve around mass attack speed. The heavily armoured warrior of the light, wielding a bigass 2h flail in one hand and a massive shield in the other, is aaaaaaaallllll about attacking as many times per second as possible for some reason.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Zealadin now and forever.
Didn't Zeal have a bug at some point where, like, if the first attack missed all the rest in the cast would too? Ah, the good ol' days.

And I'm fine with the Zealadin archtype existing, it's just weird that hammers attack fast, sweep attacks fast (and bash would too if it wasn't broken), invoker attacks fast, shield throw attacks fast... Condemn is like the only major build that isn't built around fast attacks, and that's weird.

...I guess thinking about it there's not really a lot of slow-attack builds out there, period, just by the nature of the game, but still. Put it on my D4 wishlist: the bigass 2h slow-hit build.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
Man, the Seeker of the Light set gameplay is dire. Particularly with suboptimal gear.

I can't keep Falling Sword off cooldown enough because its landing strike obliterates half of what it hits... but I can't bump up the difficulty because I get smooshed without perma-Akarat. And FS still costing wrath to use in a set where it's entirely possible to run out is unforgivable. The refund bracers are incredibly troublesome because you can drain a full wrath globe on a boss before the hammers start despawning (again, no perma-Akarat) which means you lose your defenses because you need hammer hits for cooldown and the actual wrath to spend. And to top it off, hammers have no visual impact and their hitbox is frustrating.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

The Wonder Weapon posted:

With all the gear and skill changes, are there any builds that are playable now that weren't before? I notice Tempest Rush got several buffs, for instance.

I know it's Diablo and "play whatever you want" but still am curious about what's gotten better.
The list of easy GR75+ builds is now really, really, REALLY long. The patch notes list all the stuff that got buffed, so it's basically pick a set, pick some supporting items, and go kill stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

xiansi posted:

Bit of a slow start this season with Crusader. Somehow managed to find Akkhan set + all the crucial gear for Holy Shotgun build, but still haven't seen a single Johanna's flail or obsidian ring to make hammers work, so I thought I'd try that to do T10 rifts without dying all the time and...this is pretty terrible.

Aside from still only having poo poo jewellery (no CoE or endless walk set yet) and not nearly enough CDR to keep Akarat up (which is fixable eventually), it seems there's no way of delivering real damage on demand - it's all from the block procs, right?

Sure, when something is hitting me it goes down fast, block chance is high enough, but that seems a bit finicky, and forces you to keep moving around to face things.

And goblins, Jesus. Those don't attack at all, so how are you supposed to deal with them? Not to mention bloody Urzael - he doesn't really attack with anything you want to be getting hit by, so I just spent 5 minutes plinking away at that fucker with Punish & the occasional fury for a bounty.

What am I missing with this?

Maybe I should just roll a Barbarian to make use of all the strength gear, apparently that's the hot poo poo this season?
The so-called "lazy shotgun" build is basically what you've described, yeah. It's pretty much entirely reactive and only really works in density in rifts (and the Shield of Fury is temporarily disabled right now so it's artificially weaker than it should be on top of that). If you want to do other stuff with it, you're probably going to have to use the actual shotgun rune so that you can pro-actively hit things - though that will cause a toughness loss from lack of Aquila..

On the other hand, I can attest that the Condemn build is hilarious and shits all over everything. My gear is still pretty mediocre for it, and I'm using some kludged-together stuff (Leoric's in cube, CDR roll on amulet, Justice Lantern + Hold Your Ground, that sort of thing) to make it go smoothly... and smooth it is. It's basically a WW barb that clicks more often when you're in TXIII (use Unleashed) and I can sleepwalk through 65s with my speed options still on.

As a side note, The Thrill is absolutely trivial with Condemn. Throw on the weapon and shield and you can basically do it in yellows otherwise.