Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
So having done this challenge rift and having 300 bloodshards on my lvl 7 seasonal wizard, what is my best gambling strategy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
So with a relatively fresh lvl 70 wizard, and having just gotten the Tal 6-piece, is this the build I want to build towards first:

https://www.icy-veins.com/d3/wizard-arcane-torrent-build-with-manald-ring-and-tal-rasha-set-patch-2-6-season-11

That seems like a first step before the combined Tal-Vyr build. If that's right, what should I prioritize with gambling and crafting -- gamble for APDs and craft for Manald Heal?

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

GTJustin posted:

APDs are for higher GR pushing, the shield bracers are good enough for 80s easily. APDs are annoying to roll since you want life per hit somewhere if you're going to solo push.

I would run bounties till you get a 7 attack/8 cdr rrog, upgrade rings to try and get a good manald or 8 cdr, 7 attack or 50 chd coe. The manald is really loving hard to roll right, and still get screwed by the secondary.

Make sure the fazula or swami you are wearing has maxed out secondaries, I would gamble ancients on that before I gamble for APDs.

Upgrading wands should be your first priority above all else. Aether walker and Starfire are used for solo so use the best ancient you get with attack speed/cdr and ideally damage%. Serpent sparker is "ok" for group stuff but I think necromans are taking over the RG killer role now. Throw your DBs into rings and amulet afterwards

Gamble for ancient tal, then gamble on that hat/belt then bracers.

Thanks. After about 5 seasons in a row of DHs, I'm finding it to be quite an adjustment to figure out gear and skill loadouts for a wizard.

Is that the right skill loadouts, in that icy veins build, if I don't yet have all the right gear? Seems like I need some other source of lightning without Manald Heal.

Basic wizard question with elemental attacks -- does anything that causes elemental damage proc the buff from Tals? Or does it have to be an actual attack spell? I had an ice armor skill on last night that does cold damage when enemies get close, and it wasn't clear to me that it was adding a stack for cold damage.

Same question for the Elemental Exposure passive -- does everything proc it, or do some skills not proc it? Or do I not need to worry about this passive, since it doesn't seem to be part of the Tal build?

EDIT:. Actually as I look more closely, seems like I should be following this Tal starter build here until I get better gear:

https://www.icy-veins.com/d3/wizard-leveling-and-fresh-70-guide-patch-2-6-season-11#sec-3

Which does include EE.

McCoy Pauley fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jul 25, 2017

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

1. Lightning % has to be your top rolled element in order for anything about Manald to work. It turns your Archon damage to lightning regardless of what rune you use, which is where you'll be spending most of your time and how you'll vaporize elites.

2. Anything that causes elemental damage will proc 2pc. meteors, but you have to use active damaging spells in order for the 4/6pc. to work. This includes Hydra and oddball runes like Freezing Mist for Nova and Calamity for Teleport.

3. Elemental Exposure works exactly like 2pc. meteors, but for Archon you're better off using Power Hungry since you're not consistently activating all four elements and it synergizes well with Starfire + Zei's.

Thanks, Tea -- that's very helpful. Time to start gearing up.

I can tell this is going to be more complicated to set up and (I'm guessing) to play than the last few seasons of Impale DHs, where I could just go stabby on everything that moves.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

What character are you starting on? You can begin speedrunning T6+ with this build and only 6pc Tal's + Aether Walker.

I'm running that with pretty much no other useful gear except Nemesis Bracers and it's pretty fast in T7, and helps build up the DBs so I can keep upgrading into rings I don't need.

Find myself wishing I had those boots that make your meteors more powerful (Nilfur's something or other). I remember those being pretty handy with a Tal's build from back in some early season, but I feel like I don't see those mentioned in any of the new builds on Icy veins. Do the boots not really fit with any of the current favored Tal's builds?

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
So i have a seasonal Wiz who's approaching P200, and I have the full Tal's set, and enough spare Vyr's pieces that I could re-roll them and equip all the necessary armor pieces for this Tal Vyr build. But I'm still lacking a bunch of the accessories for that build, like the belt, an obsidian ring of the zodiac, a Starfire, a Manald Heal, etc. Without all that extra stuff, it doesn't seem worth it to me to try for anything with Archon. Does that sound right? Should I be focusing on building out this more basic Tal's build and getting the gear I'm missing for that one?

Given this current state of my wizard, what should I prioritize next for crafting and gambling? I feel like I'm really missing a Manald Heal, and probably should craft that. Gamble for boots? Belt?

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
For the basic Wizard Tal build, and the Tal-Vyr build, is there any reason to have my Manald Heal on my finger vs. in the Cube? I finally got one, but it's middling, and for the former it seems more worth it to have my better rolled Halo of Arlyse on my finger, and for the latter I'll keep looking for a better Obsidian Ring of the Zodiac.

In short -- for both current Tal builds, I should just have my best rings on hand and whatever rolled poorly in the Cube -- there isn't a specific ring I need to have on hand (other than Compass Rose) -- right?

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Can anyone give me some basic pointers on how to play this Tal Vyr build? I have all the gear for it, although have mostly been trying it with an Ancient Aether Walker in hand rather than the mediocre regular Starfire I have (and In-Geom in the cube). Once the last of the rings I needed dropped, I switched to this build from a regular Tal's Electrocute build (a build that, with the Aether Walker was easily clearing GR62 and probably can go higher.)

But moving to this Tal Vyr, it seems like there must be something about the rotation of skills, or the way to time Archon that I'm missing, because I feel a lot more squishy than I did with the regular Tal's, and keep dropping out of Archon with lot of CDR to make up using my ring, which leaves me short on mana because I'm using arcane torrent to proc by Obsidian Ring to bring down the Archon cool down. Which leads to a lot of dying, because I run out of mana before I get Archon back up. I feel like I'm probably doing something through wrong here. Much of it could boil down to "git gud," but if there's some basic concept of how to approach the Tal Vyr playstyle that I need to learn after the regular Tal's (and, I'll say, after never using a Vyr set before, so I've barely touched Archon ever across all these seasons) -- well, I'd appreciate the advice.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Using Aether Walker and running out of mana are probably related. The Tal/Vyr build is designed to spend as much time in Archon form as possible, only falling out to reset the Tal bonus for extra burst damage, and Archon has infinite teleport without needing a legendary power to get it.

Okay -- that's important to know about Archon, and probably something I should have picked up on.

When I'm in Archon with this build, what should I be doing -- teleporting into elite packs? Spamming what attack?

exquisite tea posted:

You need way more CDR from gear if you choose to use Aether over In-geom, like almost every possible slot.

With the Starfire, I'm mainly relying on all my Archon skills doing damage because I keep +lightning as my one elemental buff, right? Am I mainly relying on the Manald Heal proc to do most of my damage for me in this build?

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
So I realized last night that at P477 I still haven't had the lvl 70 Sage set plans drop, despite having run easily 25-30 sets of bounties this season. This seems weird to me. I haven't gotten any new plans in at least the last 5 horadric caches, and I feel like in prior seasons I kept getting plans from caches until I had all the plans. I'm definitely using the "All" filter to view craftable gear at the Smith, and no lvl 70 sages.

I guess I should just keep running bounties? Any other good way to farm plans?

Sure wish it was some lame set plan I was missing, like Asheara or Aughild instead of Sage's.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Suspicious posted:

Odious collectors and more bounties. I had Sage's set drop pretty late too.

Thanks. I felt like I remembered in prior seasons that recipes just kept dropping from caches until you had gotten them all, but memory must be failing me on that one. Time to speed through some bounties.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
What legendary gems should I be using with my Shadow Impale DH when I'm grifting above GR70? I'm following this Icey Veins' guide, and while clearly I keep Trapped and Gogok all the time, for my third gem, the guide advises Bane of the Powerful at first, and then switching to Pain Enhancer "[f]or extremely high end pushing . . ."

I'm only just starting to level up my Pain Enhancer, and haven't tried it out so far, but what's the point at which I should consider switching out the Bane of the Powerful? I'm not sure what constitutes "high end pushing" with the amount of power creep, and how GR70 was relatively easy for my DH that has middling gear and no ancient Karlei's yet (ignore the Nemesis Bracers, which have been to speed up GR60s while leveling the Pain Enhancer -- I have Strongarm Bracers for going above 70).

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Larrymer posted:

Good advice. If you do it in a 4 man group, unless you're all really bad you will beat it first time blind. I've never had a problem doing them this way, I don't think it scales evenly with 4 folks vs. the original time so you often have a ton of extra time to beat it.

I've only ever tried Challenge Rifts solo -- does the target time remain the same if you play in a group, or do you have to beat it in a shorter period of time when you have a 4-man?

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
As a fresh lvl 70 monk, not even having yet gotten the seasonal set, but looking to prepare for the current U6 build, what should my gambling priority be? Bracers for Gungdo/Spirit Guards then belt for Binding of Lost? What about crafting? Just start with fists? Daibos?

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Metal Meltdown posted:

You've pretty much got it. That's the correct gambling order, and I'd start with Daibo crafting. You want Flow of Eternity for the SSS CDR and it gets cubed, so the rolls don't matter. From there it's fist weapons for Lions and Fist of Azz.

Thanks. First time in like the last 5 seasons I haven't started with a DH, so I've forgotten how to Monk. Time to get back in the saddle.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
When I have the U6 set for my relatively new monk, but none of the other necessary gear, should I be using the best daibo I can craft, or two fist weapons? Does it really matter?

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
So I'm gambling for set pieces with my DH and need the 5th or 6th piece of all the sets. Since I can easily convert a duplicate set piece to the correct slot with the Cube, it seems to me I should be gambling for the gear slot where I'm most likely to get a set piece (instead of some legendary I don't need). Am I correct in thinking that this is the shoulder slot, where DHs seem to have only three legendary shoulders outside of sets?

I'm going off the info here, which seems to match my personal experience:

https://www.d3planner.com/game/kadala

In any event, stick with shoulders, right?

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Vakal posted:

I think it is the most OP build in general at the moment, unless I'm missing some other crazy setup.

With zero ancient items, crap damage rolls on most of my stuff and mid level gems, I can easily poo poo out 250 billion crit damage to anything on screen at a rapid fire pace.

With a power pylon and the fire cycle on the COE ring it goes past a trillion easily.

How does it compare to the Shadow-Impale DH build? I feel like that build can hit trillion crits with not super refined gear, and it has incredible toughness. I start monk this season to try to the new Uliana's, got discouraged in the quest for a Fist of Az and Flow of Eternity, and then mothballed my monk in favor of a DH. Maybe I should go back and try to gear up this SWK build.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

TyrantWD posted:

I have pretty decent UE Multishot gear on my DH, and blow through GR70 in 3 minutes, but hit a wall in the mid 80s, because I get 1 shot by T13 level mobs. I saw the N6M4 build posted on reddit, and with the exception of a well rolled Nat ancient weapon, I had some pretty mediocre Natalya/Marauder gear in my stash and cleared a 90 quite easily. I'm surprised that a build that is so easy to push with wasn't on the radar at the start of the season.

Could you post a link to your build? I have all this untouched Marauder and Nats gear sitting in my stash but have basically never taken off the Shadow build since I got the final pieces. Might be good to try something else.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Anyone have any tips for the current Challenge Rift? Have never played a Necro and this seems both confusing and squishy.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Dameius posted:

Go back through the last page or two. Serrod, I think, gave a breakdown of it.

Thanks. This got me through it without breaking a sweat:

DrSeRRoD posted:

Anyone wanting to checkout the CR and how to play it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuj5Po8BQmc

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Ehud posted:

I’m going to start a hardcore seasonal character today. I have very little idea what I’m doing.

What do I need to know about the challenge rift? When should I do it? What’s the point of it?

If you beat the challenge rift in time, you get a cache with a bunch of crafting mats and gold, which you can claim (through the little in game mail icon) with your brand new seasonal character. So it's a great way to start off your season with a few million gold and a bunch of mats. Among other things it lets you immediately train up all the blacksmith, gemsmith, and transmog lady to their max levels.

Edit: so as to when, you want to make a seasonal character first, then do the challenge rift, then switch back to your seasonal character and claim the cache.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

tetsuo posted:

Have cursed chest events always been a little wonky? A few of them here and there don't open/complete, specifically the 'kill all the enemies'/'champion elites' before the timer runs out. Especially if they're killed very quickly.

I've had that happen more to me this season than in prior seasons, or at least it feels that way. Generally seems to fix itself if I teleport back to the beginning of a level and then run back to the chest.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Ehud posted:

I have 3 Bul-Kathos Solemn Vows now lol

GIVE ME THE OTHER ONE STUPID GAME

I'm at P400 this season, and 5 copies of Restraint, with not a single instance of Focus. I should have rolled a Barb and named him Cohen.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Cefte posted:

Semi-new player question incoming - what should I be doing, now?

I started playing last season for the first time, got to 686 Paragon on a wizard before season ended, didn't really know what I was doing, and ended up spending most of my time farming for rainbow goblins because the reflex of chasing rare spawns was etched into me during Everquest 1 and I haven't yet had enough therapy to fix it.

This season I went demon hunter and I've ground up to 550 Paragon, doing messy GR73s with a UE build and non-ancient Yang's. I've gemmed my gear, but I can't tell what I should be doing next as a priority. Should I be farming mats to reroll my Yang's till I get an ancient, and then keep rerolling all of my gear forever, because that sounds soul-destroying? Should I be pushing GRs, or farming them till I get 1000+ paragon? Should I be farming gems so I can augment, or wait till I get ancients in every slot before augmenting?

These are all things people do, but I don't know which to do first. And frankly, even with double bounty season, grinding for rerolls looks absymal as an end-game objective.

One thing to consider, if you're doing DH and have tried only the UE set, is to grind up another set. The Shadow and Marauder sets are both a lot of fun, and play somewhat differently from UE and from each other, so they would offer another way to play your DH. Building up a GR70+ Shadow or M6 set will take some time and some mats, so that's one thing you could be focusing on instead of just pushing GRs with your UE. You might get an an ancient Yang's to drop while you're doing that -- I just had one drop for me this morning while I was farming for mats in my (so far hopeless) quest to get an ancient weapon for my Shadow set.

You could also expand beyond DH and just roll another alt -- a Monk would at least coordinate with your dex stuff from the DH.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Kyrosiris posted:

I really wanted to like Shadow but basically being an elite and boss sniper and having to run from 90% of the trash isn't something I really enjoy. :(

What level grifts were you running that you had to run from trash mobs but could still one-shot elites? With a fully kitted out Shadow build, your elusive ring, compass rose set, and Aquila Cuirass should be providing you so much toughness you can almost just stand there and tank everything until you start going past like GR75.

I'd have to double check the exact numbers, but I think my Shadow build DH this season regularly hits 100M+ toughness when everything is up. The only tankier dh I have is my gold farming UE build that routinely hits like 4B toughness in rifts.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
All those set buffs sound awesome, but it sure would be nice to be able to use them in some stronger regular rifts. As long as they're just throwing caution to the wind and cranking everything way past 11, they might as well give us, say Torment XIV to XX. I want to see TXX Vaults and goblin packs.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

stuxracer posted:

Yeah something above T13 would be nice at this point. I honestly kill stuff too fast and I spend more time just collecting mats than anything else.

Yeah, definitely this. As much as many things in this game are now fun and fine-tuned, that part of the season where crafting comes crashing to a halt because you ran out of yellow mats, and now you have to farm white mats on the battlefield map -- that part is not fun. Upping the yellow mat drops, and giving higher Torments so non-grift play can stay challenging, would be a welcome additional change.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I like the idea of higher torments because it’s more DBs, more GRiftstones, and more gold, which means more time doing high GRs and less time farming for the above to do high GRs.

Yeah, all those things, plus the fun of the periodic goblin pack at super high torments. Plus the builds that are fun to play but that are worthless in grifts because they use Goldwrap. I don't see any downside to more Torment levels -- adding another 7 would be just as good as when the added the last 7 above T6.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Filthy Monkey posted:

Switched over to a proper impale setup, putting aside that sweet nat's pew pew gun. I have to say, it is pretty nutty. I can drag a 4 man of undergeared people through a GR 85 with me is good time quite easily. Alone I've done a 92, and I haven't really tried to push it.

It is also braindead easy to play, and pretty tanky. Roll through enemies, click impale until they are dead, piano key everything else on cooldown.

Edit: GR 102 done! I am now demon hunter rank 235.

Nice. Is that with an Ancient Karlei's?

What armor piece, if any, did you swap in given the perma-RoRG this season? I was going to try Visage or Aquila, whichever is better not to cube. Feels like the best stuff would mostly be defensive -- I can't think of a good offense piece to add with the RoRG.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Having just obtained my full Nat's set for my DH, how should I focus my gambling and crafting (I have the Aquila cubed and nothing else)? In particular what's the best first step or two in order to add toughness, since so far this seems a lot flimsier than the tanky Shadow build I'm used to.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Just got my free primal for clearing GR70, and honestly, I would have preferred a Blackthorne piece:

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

U-DO Burger posted:

my god i'm breaking 1 trillion damage with the DH shadow set, it's so beautiful

still not used to being frail though, good lord i die quickly

What are you adding to your Shadow build give the free RoRG this season? I've equipped an Aquila Cuirass I have, and am cubing the Visage of Gunes, but I'm wonder if I should look for something offensive instead of defensive (maybe those gloves that boost cold damage).

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Rinkles posted:

Next season seems about time for a new torment level, no?

Or several, I would hope. The way some of these DH builds carve through T13 (particularly the UE speedfarm build that relies on Goldwrap), I want to see T20 and the goblin packs that would result.

I'm following this guide for the Shadow build I'm using, and it recommends swapping out Bane of the Powerful for Pain Enhancer at some point. When are people doing this? Like how high should I be in GRs before I start to consider this? I've been using Powerful up to high 70s, and it seems fine, so I'm not sure when I would start noticing a big improvement from swapping to Pain Enhancer.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

Charm is one of the best follower talents for a Shadow DH because it can let you get in some free hits against wandering elites. It’s one reason why I always prefer Enchantress to Templar for high solo GR.

Huh -- it had never really occurred to me to swap out the Templar but now I'm going to try this for my Shadow DH. What gear do you give your Enchantress (since I'm assuming she can't use the Thunderfury that's on my Templar)?

At least this way I can feel a little less bad about my only Primal of the season being the Enchantress's never-die relic.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Tahirovic posted:

What website do people use for builds these days, given diablofans shut down?

I like Icey Veins. Their builds generally seem reasonably easy to follow and up to date:

https://www.icy-veins.com/d3/

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Incoherence posted:

Choose Templar for sustain (some healing, some energy regen).
Choose Enchantress for CC or the attack speed aura.
Choose Scoundrel if you want to meme.

Usually you put CC effects on their equipment, too, since they don't really do significant damage: Eun-jang-do/Thunderfury/a couple staff options for enchantress, Ess of Johan, Oculus Ring. Unity if you're using it.

Can the followers proc the "Charm" effect from the Overwhelming Desire amulet that drops in A3 caches? That seems like it could be handy if it worked -- particularly against an RG -- but it also sounds too convenient actually to work

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Well, a T16 Ancient Puzzle Vault is officially the craziest thing I've ever seen in Diablo 3. Must have picked up like 30-40 legendaries just from that one vault, and it kept lagging with all the loot dropping. The season is off to a pretty sweet start.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Anyone have a LON DH setup that they like? I'm just saving everything ancient at this point, as I grind up complete Impale and Speed UE sets, but I figure at some point I'll dive in there and check out that motley assortment of ancient stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

mewse posted:

New season information

https://us.diablo3.com/en/blog/23093786?linkId=100000007511666

The conquests are some of the easiest

I like the sound of a belt being added to the Sage set. Now they should give us something that makes yellow mats drop at higher rates.

With the new torment levels, I had more than enough DBs this season, but I kept running short on yellow mats. The game loop of plundering white mats from the battlefield of eternity to convert them to yellows is now rivaling "blackthorne set piece drops" as my least favorite part of the game.