Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DrVenkman posted:

It's kind of hilarious to me that Paramount has forced WB to spend a ton of money on digitally erasing a CG moustache instead of letting Cavill shave and just using a fake one.

Seriously, lol. Hollywood is so stupid. I just watched a feature length film with seamless ape pantomime, you could watch the hairs on Caesar's nutsack emote in real time, yet they can't just chromakey out a drat mustache.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I don't understand why remove the moustache, a long haired, bearded Superman raising from the grave to kick rear end is such a rad visual.

They could even work it as a Jesus allegory :v:

Superman crawling out of his grave unkempt on Judgement Day would be a sick visual.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Immortals is sick as hell.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Man, this Goya, huh? Really dark stuff!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Timby posted:

Cyborg looks like a rejected design from the RoboCop remake a few years ago.

His dad is Dr. Miles Dyson.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

wyoming posted:

What the gently caress.

Fester is the emotional heart of both films! Also, Debbie owns, and the summer camp stuff is much stronger and funnier because it's the B plot. If you'd cut anything it's the Pubert stuff but it remains funny that the only thing Puggsley does for the whole film is try to kill him in funny ways, and the "he's very sick" gag makes me laugh just thinking about it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Hal Jordan is an awful, "heroic cop" character.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Timby posted:

I actually liked that little bit. Mexico is Catholic as hell (I think 85 percent of the population, maybe a bit more, identifies as such), and you've got a guy descending from the sky, saving lives and hovering over them like a benevolent giver of life? Hell yeah they're going to think this is the Second Coming.

Yeah, they know what's up. It's less that they are superstitious madre de dios! brown people and more that they're completely comfortable with signs and wonders.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Lol.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I love the genre of news stories that are about badgering Ben Affleck to confess that Zach Snyder is bad.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'm so glad Faraci got his poo poo rocked. What a tool that guy was.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MacheteZombie posted:

It was one of the internets more satisfying moments.

It was so good because he started grandstanding and someone came ready with a bombshell they'd been sitting on for like 4 years.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Timby posted:

More than that -- the assault happened in 2004. So this woman had been waiting for more than a decade to say, "Uh, wait a minute, no, you don't get to take the high ground here, you sick son of a bitch."

Hot drat.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

HUNDU, I remember you summed up Faraci perfectly when you described him as a wannabe cultural gatekeeper that didn't have the complexity of thought or grasp of history to support it.

He's always struck me as a total buffoon, just a slightly less shameless Harry Knowles.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jenny Angel posted:

Leave it to the goons to cast aspersions on the character of a man who clearly loves to gently caress

It's not that, it's just that having more than like 3 kids is thought of as unseemly because it's associated with the poor/fringe religious sects.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Drifter posted:

Or being rich as gently caress. Have as many kids as you want if you can pay for 'em.

I feel like the stereotype for the rich is exactly the opposite, that they're all childless, loveless husks.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

You don't need to invent zany new terms to call him a fraud.

Yeah.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

McSpanky posted:

I think it works with the general Dark Knight Returns comic aesthetic they have going on with him. He's huge and thick like an old heavyweight boxer, not lean and trim like an athlete in his prime.

It's not just the aesthetic they're going for (although they cut out Jena Malone as Carrie Kelley, which makes me mad), but that specific design refers to the character's backstory as one who's descended to selfrighteous delusions.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jenny Angel posted:

Real talk, Bruce squinting at the origins of his family's wealth until he can pretend they lend badass symbolic gravitas to his quest one of the best parts of the movie

Even though the continuity is weird in Suicide Squad, Batman's couple of apperances in it are perfectly in line with the character in BVS. It's probably my favorite depiction of Batman overall.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Seriously, what is he like 5'7? Gal is towering over him, to say nothing of the other guys.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

teagone posted:

Textless version of that magazine cover:

Hm. Wonder why they did a take on this:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

UmOk posted:

Is this good? That creator combo is always gold.

It kicks fuckin' rear end. The only thing bad about Morrison's run on JLA is the art of Howard Porter.

Man, Superman here looks like John Cena for some reason.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Sir Kodiak posted:

For reference, this is what a CG character looked like a decade ago:

Did you do this on purpose because I Am Legend has an ad for BVS in it?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

josh04 posted:

Maybe this will be the one where "Is Zack Snyder a fascist?" gets a mainstream airing.

I can't wait.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

ungulateman posted:

The communion scene clarifies exactly what's coming, but the theatrical version cuts directly from Lex saying 'ding ding ding ding' to the 'angels and demons' portrait from earlier - except it's upside down, so the demons are coming from above.

Reminder that a major complaint about BVS was "bad editing".

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The "establishing shot" complaint is totally nonsensical. This isn't Full House!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CelticPredator posted:

It's important to know where characters are. It helps flesh out a story.

The "establishing shot" rule is not dogmatic.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Black Bones posted:

Maybe at your Hot Topic, but I shop at Spencer's Gifts

Ah, big fan of weed and novelty dicks eh?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Davros1 posted:

I think you're giving David Goyer waaayy too much credit.

Nah, that's just how Goyer writes scripts. All that stuff is in every single one of his other superhero movie collabs.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Uh...those are also designs from Wonder Woman.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Guy A. Person posted:

Oof yeah, that's pretty bad

Unfortunate, the big battle hammer is pretty sick

In what way is it bad?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

teagone posted:

Most will say the exposure of her abdomen/vital organs. If you cover her abs it's basically the same as her WW costume though so :shrug:

The 'battle bikini' complaint is about body conformity and conventional beauty. It's usually 'bad' because the insistence is that the woman be a busty model with a childlike face, rather than a jacked shotputter. The complaint that it's bad because a woman is showing her midriff is bizarrely puritanical.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

porfiria posted:

I'm not really a huge fan of the practicality argument because if you go down that path Superman's fighting style should be chucking rocks at people at 0.1c or whatever. Actually that would be pretty cool.

Yes. Or Batman wearing a cape, for example.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

BrianWilly posted:

In the WW film, the Amazons went into battle with functional and well-designed armor. The same Amazon who wore that functional armor in WW is now dressed much skimpier and more revealingly in JL for no apparent reason, and she's just one of multiple examples.

OK, so why are their thighs bare in WW?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

porfiria posted:

This is sort of a funny conversation to be having given how Snyder dressed his Spartan musclebois.

The men in JL are clearly sexualized as well, yet people only ever seem to notice when it's something that has a TV Tropes entry.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

BrianWilly posted:

Fidelity to bona fide historical armor design, which prioritized the protection of the torso while leaving the limbs more freedom of movement. It wasn't a matter of modesty but of function.
This is a production image from BvS, not Justice League.

But the 'fidelity' is purely aesthetic. Why don't the Amazons have one breast removed? Why doesn't Ares show up nude?

BrianWilly posted:

So the new excuse now is that Snyder showed off men in a completely different film eleven years ago so it's okay for him to show off women now in this film?

Patti Jenkins "showed off" women in the film, Wonder Woman.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

K. Waste posted:

I don't know what most of y'all are looking at, but I'm looking at her physique. She looks like could crush someone's skull doing a sit-up.

Which is a different kind of eroticization. If you were looking for a problematic sexual element, it would be that her outfit is designed to display her prominent musculature (ie. thighs, arms, back, abs), not that the immortal demigod curiously lacks protection from a fuckin' leather cuirass.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

BrianWilly posted:

In the former case because that's a ridiculous quirk to attach to the Amazons which was invented by men who had no idea how a boob actually works.

Uhh you are aware of the origin of Wonder Woman, right?

quote:

The aesthetic difference between that film and this one is the exact contention being made. Jenkins managed show off women to women and for women without having to say "Hey look how much more powerful and Amazonian you feel if you just show off your abs in a field of battle!

This is corporatized Maybelline feminism. "To Women, For Women?" What the hell? You can't seriously believe this foolishness.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Wonder Woman was invented by a man with a femdom kink. If you were making a film for women, directed at women, you'd throw the whole thing out and start fresh.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Neurosis posted:

No he didn't. The guy (actually an extremely muscular neo Nazi woman named Bruno - I'm not joking) appeared in later comics set in the DKR universe.

There were more of those? Huh, interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
'Male gaze' is not something you 'employ' to 'dis-engage women'.