Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

frajaq posted:

Oh yeah how are they gonna do with the reduced elemental resistances that happen between the old difficulties now?

When you beat the Act 5 boss, you get cursed with the reduced resistance because of an in-lore reason. I'm not sure when the second reduction happens, but I imagine it will be similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?
A play in two acts:

quote:

You can now be found in The Fall of Oriath
You can no longer exist.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

deep dish peat moss posted:

I tried watching it and sending it to my friend who is scared of how complex this game is, the first 10 minutes are good for new players but after that he goes through over 20 straight minutes of slowly explaining what every currency does and showing examples of him using it, then launches right into master crafting. It definitely wasn't the right thing to send to someone who's scared of the game's complexity in the first place :kiddo:

3.0 introduces a help panel which in my opinion is not bad. It doles out information as you go, so you don't get hit with information overload all at once. Most of it is the basics of different concepts, but it's enough to know what questions to ask later.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Bardeh posted:

The boss of the Trial of Ascendancy just killed me for the second time on what I assume is his final form, so I have to start it over again for the 3rd time :gonk: I haven't even died before this, he hits really goddamn hard.

E: Also, most of the cosmetic stuff I see people running around with looks really cool, but right now in town there's a little megaman looking thing and it looks ridiculously out of place. Why the hell is it there when everything else seems to fit so well with the general visual theme of the game?

The first two fights will have something you can do to make the last fight easier. You may want to read up on this for Izaro's stages: http://www.poelab.com/izaro-and-phases/ This is also a good time to start learning how to dodge the boss' big attacks, because that's going to be an important skill going forward.

Don't feel bad about skipping the Normal Labyrinth and coming back to it later. It was normal to go on to at least Act 4 Normal before coming back and tackling the Labyrinth. Now, you have until the end of Act 5 to come back and do the Labyrinth easily. (You get a resistance debuff at the end of Act 5 that sticks with you now.)

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Bardeh posted:

Thanks for the tips guys. I ended up getting him on the 3rd try by the skin of my teeth by managing to avoid most of his attacks (apart from the ranged ones because gently caress, I leap away to avoid the melee attack and then he shoots orbs at me). What could I have done in the first two phases to make the 3rd one easier?

That really depends on what they are. The layout changes each day. Usually it involves killing or touching whatever adds pop up out of the floor. I use http://www.poelab.com/ to see what the layout is like and what phases are up when I plan to go in. Today's normal lab shows idols and conduits. For the idols, throw some damage their way every once in a while so they don't regen to full. If they do fill up, they'll drop the fields that the Bearer Bloodlines mobs will drop on death. And if they do that in their fight, they'll do that in the last fight, too. On the conduits, I think they come out of the floor kneeling, and you have to touch them before they stand fully upright, or else they'll give Izaro an elemental bonus to his attacks.

The idea is you can make the last Izaro fight more difficult for more treasure keys in the last room, or you can play it safer if you're just trying to get your ascendancy points. Sometimes in the labyrinth you'll find items that will disable one of the doohickys in the next Izaro fight to make dealing with him earlier. That's what the circles on the map show.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

new phone who dis posted:

I've done everything and I'm 1 level over. I'm just going to keep playing and come back.

The common thing was to go deep into Act 4 or even into Cruel and come back for the Normal Lab. The lab has been changed and the Normal lab only has one room between Izaro phases now with a couple of side rooms, so it's a lot easier than it was. You can still go ahead and come back for it, but try to do so before you finish Act 5.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Unlucky7 posted:

I am still farting along Act 1 and I think I am near the end of it. Dumb story questions: Did I miss any dialogs with the town crew about who Piety actually is around the time she shows up? It is weird to see them act like she was always a known quantity in the dialogs that I did catch, which makes me think I missed a midquest one. Then again, no one is talking about the traveling priest that may or may not be going insane or the half dead seer, so v:v:v...

Also, Bestel is my homeboy.

You haven't missed anything. The prison is the first time you meet her, but she's one of the Empire's lackeys, and most of the NPCs know her from Oriath. Piety's backstory comes out in Act 3, when one of the NPCs there opens up to you. They've added and changed some of the early acts' dialogue in 3.0, and it creates some situations where you're like "Am I supposed to know this person?"

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Devor posted:

Also, does Orb of Binding guarantee max linked sockets? Or does it act like one roll of a fusing?

Everything I've heard says it's guaranteed to 4-link. It says "up to" because of one-handed weapons and shields.

Rookersh posted:

How many respec points should I expect to get from Act 1 to unlocking Scion ( is it still just beating Templar guy? )?

I'm basically just using this Ranger to learn the basics anyways while I unlock Scion, then will probably do a Scion/Templar/Witch as my real main once I know what to expect. But still want her to be viable, and need to respec a few points.

If you've ever unlocked Scion it remains unlocked, even into new leagues. If you're rolling a new account, then she's on the way up to Dominus at the end of Act 3. Up to that point, I think you should have maybe six or eight respec points from quests? I want to say it's one quest in each act, but there might be an extra quest here or there.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

LordNat posted:

Those new supporter packs sure are... umm... supporter packs.

I want to know how to get that stargate harbinger portal that was in one of the pictures.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

doingitwrong posted:

Is there some kind of guide I can find somewhere for picking names? Just downloaded this for the Xbox and all my tries so far are taken or restricted (though it won't say what that means or why). I'm kind of done trying to guess a name that will be acceptable to the system and pecking out names on the controller is a pain.

No spaces, the only special character allowed is an underscore, and I'm not sure if numbers are allowed. I think those are the restrictions on PC. If you still can't think of a proper name then git gud

Unless the XBox shares a name database with the PC version in which case lol

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?
Can A_Touch_Of_Frost get a guild invite, too? Haven't played much of anything in the last few weeks and now I'm finally getting some free time.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?
You guys are missing the most important thing.

quote:

Players can now smack around players who are having trouble very early on.

More games need this option.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

RosaParksOfDip posted:

The guy selling a vaal'd one of those amulets is a ballsy motherfucker.

What was the corrupted implicit? Because I think it's gone.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?
I know the guild is full, but can aSeriousCaseOfLigma be added to the list of invites when there is room?

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

Since you guys are helping tards find their way in the dark:

how do I get to this pulsating grotto? I feel like I ducked down every hallway all around it, but I still can't find the entrance. :(

802.11weed posted:

the one directly under it

Again, the reason for the bottom one is because it connects to two other nodes: the ones to the immediate right and left. Start looking for a path the cuts off to the north. The only exception to the "1, 3, or 4" thing is the mineshaft that Niko drills straight down, which I am guessing is on the left edge of your picture.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Carrion Luggage posted:

What do people who spend hundreds/thousands of dollars to attend one specific companies 'con deserve?

I don't know what they deserve (besides a wedgie), but this is more about what didn't happen at Blizzcon.

No splash logo or even concept art they can point to and say, "Yes, we are making Diablo 4. It will come out, eventually."

Diablo 2 Remaster is a bit of a pipe dream, but a believable one. It would make some people insanely happy, and I think most would welcome it because it means they were doing something.

There wasn't even a peep of Diablo 3 news. No new cosmetics, no new class, no discussion about the future of the game. It's like they forgot it exists. They didn't even try to sell the Switch version when it is right there.

No, the entirety of their Diablo news was the mobile game Blizzard didn't even make. And this is what they ended their opening ceremony with. They deserve to get dragged for a bit.

Applebee123 posted:

Diablo is pretty much abandoned, seasons get added without even spending the effort to make a handful of new items or any real content of any sort. Seasons are basically identical to the previous season but the season number is one higher and all your stuff is gone, have fun!

Diablo fans were hoping for some kind of announcement which would change this situation.

Here's where Path of Exile's difference shines, and why I think I keep sticking with PoE instead of flipping back to Diablo 3 or trying some of the other games in my list. GGG is still introducing new skills, revamping current ones, and introducing mechanics to make each league unique instead of endless seasons where nothing changes. I did a Triple Herald, Blade Vortex Elementalist for Incusrion league. I'm seriously considering a four-herald version with Herald of Purity for the next league.

The timing for this shitshow couldn't be better for GGG as they start building hype for their new league.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?
Already gone over incessantly, but I have to add something.

Polo-Rican posted:

• maybe I'm a weirdo but I loving love the skill tree!! Having tons of fun exploring the tree and looking for clusters of upgrades to work towards. This part of the game in particular is the polar opposite of the d3 design ethos that drove me crazy.

This is the vital part to understanding the passive tree. Once you know what your build is supposed to do, search the tree with keywords to find the clusters you want, and find the most optimal paths to connect them. That's the heart and soul of the passive tree.

One common tip is to take more life than you think you need, then take a little more. Most of it will come in +percent Life nodes, which enhances the flat life gains you find on your equipment. Having around +180% Life from your tree is probably good. Something like the programs "Path of Building" will help in plotting out your tree.

quote:

• I'm starting with the default campaign and it's kind of a bummer that there's basically no story at all. What exactly am I supposed to be doing besides just walking aimlessly around this world? They could at the very least give you the name of an epic monster to slay, or some sort of epic artifact to seek out.

Most of the others have gone over the story, but starting out you are basically just wandering around. You've been exiled for various crimes from the empire situated on an island off the coast of Wraeclast. They shipped you off to the shore, kicked your sorry rear end off the boat, and left you stranded in Fantasy Australia. Much like the real life Australia, everything that exists in Wraeclast is meant to kill you, and the only hope of survival is for the exiles to band together. Since this is an ARPG, that means you get to do everyone's work. The pieces of lore scattered around are the stories of at least three different groups of people who tried to make a living on Wraeclast, managed to gently caress something up, and got hosed in return.

Act 1 is you trying to find a way inland where it's supposed to be better than the barren coast, Act 2 is finding out the regime that exiled you is interested in something found in Wraeclast, Act 3 has you dealing with that empire, and Act 4 lets you find out what those idiots were looking for. Act 5 has you going back to the imperial homeland for reasons I'm not really sure of, but the main campaign firms up at this point and I'll just let the story speak for itself from there.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Fister Roboto posted:

This really changes the story for me.

For the better, I hope.

I know the mechanics of how you go back to Oriath. I just don't know the why. There's not even a "Some rear end in a top hat just proclaimed himself King poo poo of poo poo Mountain. Go show him what happened to the last guy to claim that title." It's just "Here's the door back. Go, go, go!"

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

KirbyKhan posted:

Tonight taught me that PoE actually has some pretty great dumb lore that fully supports the gameplay loop and aesthetic.

I learned that Malachi dreaming his friends back to life explains why we have to kill the Three Amigos three times to make sure they stay dead.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?
I've used Storm Call Inquisitor as a starter a couple of times. Unless it's changed a lot in the last couple of leagues, it should be fine with minimal investment. Less Duration is pretty much a necessity for it. Increased casting speed through the passive tree is a good quality of life upgrade, maybe throwing in a Faster Casting. Your equipment's easy enough to gather: Life, Resists, Spell Damage, Cast Speed if you can find it, Lightning damage, etc. The spell is flexible enough, by spreading your casts throughout packs and then stacking them up on bosses.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

lamentable dustman posted:

Spell Cascade+ makes me really want to play a storm call inqu

Just when I was about to run a Storm Call Inquisitor for kicks. I guess I have a second 3.9 build now.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Filthy Monkey posted:

I was browsing poe.nina and came across eirikeiken's character. It looks like it is going to involve a ridiculous amount of storm calls.
https://poe.ninja/challenge/builds/char/c9q9md/eirikeiken?i=1&search=skill%3DVaal-Storm-Call

All the Storm Calls you drop will go off when the first one goes off. So you want to make your cast speed go plaid. That's probably what eirikeiken is going for.

Looking at the tree, it looks like he's scaling crit, cast speed, and area, and building a massive mana pool to soak damage through Mind Over Matter. I have no experience with Timeless Jewels, so I don't know what that's doing to the tree, and I have no idea what Avatar of Fire is for, unless he wants to Ignite stuff rather than Shock it.

Edited to add the original quote.

Kevos Setzer fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Dec 25, 2019

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Rutibex posted:

Yeah I have been starting to figure this out. I've beaten Act 1 and I have found there are a lot of undead minion skills, to the point where I am focusing on them 100%. Those flaming skulls are my primary attack now. The skill points I put into casting damage are entirely wasted, I'm only level 17 and I already messed up my build :v:

I have not taken any life nodes. Haven't really needed to, everything melts instantly against my Skull Army :black101: I really enjoy this Tane boss summoning guy. It always takes a few seconds to summon the boss, long enough for me to summon 10+ skulls that kill it instantly. Thanks Mr. Tane for the loot pinatas every screen!

I'm surprised it took this long for people to tell you to take life nodes. That's usually one of the first things we tell new players. You won't feel it in the early acts, but you'll hit that wall you're expecting when you hit maps. As a summoner, it might not even be until yellow maps, but I always like to start early. You can start by picking up life nodes that lie right next to where you're going.

If you do all the side quests or at least the important ones, you should have around 20 passive respec points by the end of the game. You can use those free ones to drop the nodes you aren't using and get what you want or need. Using Orbs of Regret will also add a respec point you can use at any point, and those drop often enough for me that I can use a couple more after the free points without feeling bad about it, as long as I'm just making small changes to my tree. It's when you sit there thinking. "Man, I should just drop this whole side of the tree" and realize you'll need forty or fifty orbs to start with that you might be better off just rerolling.

Vasudus made a post on defensive layers in PoE and even though it was made for the way 3.9 has changed, I think it could be put in the first or second post of future threads as a starting point for new players when they start asking "How do I keep from dying?"

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Qwertycoatl posted:

Yeah I guess it's because the condition for you meeting Zana has changed and they forgot to update the check.

I can believe this very easily. In the previous endgame, Zana is just there in Oriath, and even starts with Zana suggesting we use the resources found in these strange worlds to rebuild Oriath. Even when the player learns about the Shaper and Elder, it comes off more as Zana wishing she wasn't so right. She's a very sympathetic character.

Conquerors starts off with Kirac wanting to bring in Zana for unspecified crimes, because it's not like anyone in Theopolis would know what the hell she's doing when they can't even look at the machine she built without their brains trying to turn sideways. It would be weird if Jun immediately gushes into "Oh my god I am so gay for her what if we adopt some kids together" when the story does not want you to trust Zana.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

pork never goes bad posted:

Just incredible patch notes. Awesome atlas ux changes.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2752873

This is like every single thing we asked for regarding the Atlas UI.

Maps now display their Atlas Region by default. Holding Alt displays Map Completion, Bonus Objective Completion and Awakening Objective Completion status. I know people wanted to see the region on the map itself.

Added frames to the Map Stash which indicate if a Map is influenced by a Conqueror. This actually circumvents one of the reasons people wanted to see the regions.

Added visual indicators at the centre of the Atlas which display which Conquerors have been defeated. These visual indicators are removed upon opening portals to the Eye of the Storm. This might actually help people grok what they're supposed to be doing with the Atlas.

Clicking anywhere on a Citadel with a non-Unique Watchstone on your cursor now sockets that Watchstone into the appropriate socket if one is available. This was exactly my suggestion for how watchstones should be slotted.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Zero VGS posted:

Yikes, also that reminds me that my friend who streams for a living said he was offered bribe money from the dev to stream the beta of Last Epoch, at least that one is gonna be F2P but that one seems like it apes PoE even more.

Last Epoch is closer to PoE, but in my first impressions the game also seems willing to go off and do its own thing. If it's close to anything, I'd say it was most similar to Grim Dawn. Most of my interest in the game is not in how it plays, really, but from the lore theme of Literal Time Travel.

Wolcen hews a lot closer to Diablo 3 than Last Epoch to Path of Exile. Like Wolcen could be seen as a polished, slightly more advanced D3. If Diablo 3 is splashing around tides at the shore, Wolcen would be swimming around in chest-deep water before you get to the deep sea diving that is Path of Exile. All of this is assuming that Wolcen worked.

I think a lot of Wolcen's problems stem from being released too soon, even though it's been in early access for years. It feels like they slapped two-thirds of the game together in the last few weeks and pushed it out the door to a huge promotional blitz before they thoroughly tested it. People see "Now Out of Early Access", expect some level of playability in it, and find a game that Does Not Work, and now the game's a joke. And even while the game is horribly broken and some people can't progress or even log in to the game they're like "Have patience, we can only do one patch a week." Wolcen actually made me reinstall Diablo 3, like what the gently caress?

Wolcen is such a disappointment because people can see the inklings of a decent game beneath all the mess. This was actually a great time to do a big update of the game, with both the Diablo 3 season and Metamorph winding down and a bunch of people sitting around playing with their dicks. They should have just released this as Beta Phase Two instead of Version 1.0 "We Finished the Game, Guys!" Notice how Grim Dawn also went on a Steam sale this week and released a big update?

With this league's intense focus on these Cluster Jewels, I may just pick a class and say, "gently caress it, do it live." Work my way to a couple outer sockets and go with what the jewels tell me.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Red Red Blue posted:

have both lightning warp and bodyswap supported by spellslinger, the monsters can't hit you if even you don't know where you are

As a bonus, you won't know where you are either.

dyzzy posted:

No need to attach to the attack. It's the first of the meta gem archetype they showed for poe2 methinks.

My thoughts exactly. This feels like a testbed for meta-gems. Try this out, find out what works and what doesn't before they go heavy into coding them into PoE2.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Lechtansi posted:

Sire of Shards Spectral Throw Cast on Crit Discharge Impale

With the item that casts nova skills at range.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Lechtansi posted:

Sire of Shards Spectral Throw Cast on Crit Discharge Impale

Kevos Setzer posted:

With the item that casts nova skills at range.

McFrugal posted:

That works with Sire of Shards?

Astral Projector is the item, and after some looking, a dev said it does not work with Sire of Shards. The ring applies only to spells with the Nova tag, which as of December were listed here: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2687705/page/4#p22591833

But "Spectral Throw CoC Discharge" was one of Mathil's builds in Metamorph, and with the Astral Projector, the Discharge goes off wherever the crit landed.

Rutibex posted:

There is also an attitude at GGG that the Witch class is the natural protagonist of PoE. It wasn't a coincidence that she was the class they chose to show off PoE2. I don't think they will mess with the Witch too harshly.

It doesn't sound very official, but I would agree more thought has been put into the witch than some of the other characters. I do want to know more about the Witch's backstory than the others. There's something there they've never elaborated on.

Most of these backstories are my guesses from the old ship opening character selection and sometimes from Nessa's introduction:

Marauder: Karui who rejected Oriath's attempts to enslave him, so they shipped him off to Wraeclast.
Ranger: Poached game from the noblemen's hunting grounds and got caught. she also gay
Shadow: A contract assassin in Oriath, he was drugged and shipped off to Wraeclast as a loose end after one of his jobs.
Duelist: A hero in the Grand Arena, he was exiled after getting into some kind of honor duel and killing somebody.
Templar: Accused of heresy and exiled. My guess is he accused the Templar leadership of heresy themselves for whatever dark thaumaturgy they were partaking in.
Scion: A gifted child of nobles, too talented for Oriath and way too talented for the arranged marriage she was part of. She killed her husband and was sent to Oriath. Her old chatty self was supernaturally in tune with what was happening in Wraeclast, so they may have been glad to get rid of her. For people that don't remember unlocking her, she was captive on the Spectre of God, so Dominus was likely trying to use her gifts.
Witch: Probably the most evil of the characters. I think the exact quote is "They took my family, so I took their children." What does that mean? I really want to know what's behind that.

Kevos Setzer fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 9, 2020

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

dangerdoom volvo posted:

This poo poo is giving me heart palpitations

I'm going with this basic version of the galaxy-brained takes above:

It's neat, gives access to Tier 4 seeds, and I still have the entire left-hand side of the garden if I need it. Having so much empty space also tells me that you don't have to min-max too hard to access everything the mechanic has to offer.

If you just want to screw around, you can move almost everything in the garden with no problems. Pylons, dispensers, and storage tanks can be pulled up at any time. You can pull up seeds and keep them, but you lose any growth on the seeds and have to start over. Collectors can be pulled up as long as you haven't harvested from them this "turn". If it gives you an error message, just make a new instance of the garden. Collectors and Storage Tanks even keep the juice they're holding when you pick them up.

Crafting only used raw lifeforce, what you get from the moment you harvest. So to get more storage tanks or that bench that costs 1800, you have to harvest more plants at once. Stored lifeforce is only used for growing higher tier seeds using the dispensers.

Tier 1 seeds can be planted and harvested just by putting them next to a collector.
Tier 2 seeds need the lifeforce of one of the other collectors. When it says plant it "adjacent to" other seeds, diagonals count. To get the other colors of lifeforce, hook a dispenser covering your seeds to a collector of the right color. Pylons can be used to extend that connection like a pipeline. A single pylon can have four connections, and you just hook storage tanks up to the network as you need them. Each line can only hold one color of power.
Tier 3 seeds need both of the opposite colors of lifeforce.
Tier 4 seeds need all three colors. I would think you're covered as long as all the collectors and storage tanks of one color are hooked up to one network.

Building and moving stuff as you need may not be optimal, but I don't think it'll block you out of anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Leatherhead posted:

quote:

Becoming Immune to a debuff always removes that debuff. That has not changed.

Previously, the immunity lasted for the flask duration, which meant instant flasks, having no duration, did not actually make you immune. This is why the mod previously needed an explicit removal as well as immunity. The immunity now always has a duration, so having explicit removal in addition to immunity would be redundant.
Oh thank god.

Oh, thank god they explained that, because I wasn't sure myself despite having played the game for several years.

Because, you know, the mechanics of POE are simple, well explained, and easily understood.