Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Calibanibal posted:

Why not just make a "dems are good thread" and then it becomes probatable itt to criticize or complement democrats and leftists

It's so crazy it just might work!

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Mustached Demon posted:

Tammy Duckworth 2020/24/28 whatever the gently caress one she wants.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Volkerball loving ANNIHILATING those strawmen today.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Peachfart posted:

lol holy poo poo

'it is a good thing that we poo poo out poorly thought out legislation that nobody wants at an ever increasing rate'

*Looks at the dude's other tweets*

https://twitter.com/JustinWolfers/status/912448809363558402

:thunk: He might have been joking?!?!?! :thunk:

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

The purpose of human existence is experiencing the pure drudgery of work.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Lindsey, you ARE the demons...

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

R. Guyovich posted:

jesus loving? christ, people!

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

man, look at them come out of the woodwork. Is there a signal or something, or do they use pheromones?

Let's try this. Are the benefits offered by Wapo, even after the supposed cuts, better or worse than what you personally have at your job?

And by the way, I never said cutting benefits was good, but i don't necessarily think it is as bad as you do.

My ideological purity. :negative:

Holy Christ this post. Do you by chance yell at homeless people on the side of the road about how awesome they have it compared to random third world countries? I'm guessing "Get a job you bum!" comes after that part.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Congrats!

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

twodot posted:

Is there a historical example of a society wide de-radicalization program that went well? I'm having difficulty imagining what it would look like.

The de-radicalization/de-nazification of Germany from 1939-1945 by the Allies went pretty well but not far enough, imo.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Just a note: the original tweet was @'ing some random lady named Theresa and not the PM of the UK.

2017: Where if you could possibly be the target of a Presidential tweet by having a twitter handle close to a politician's name.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Sephyr posted:

As a foreigner who enjoys US history, 'Hamilton' loving baffles me. As Lindsay Ellis said on a review, I guess you need to make the first big hip-hop musical about the whitest poo poo ever.

Even so, "I was Washington's aide, elected my worst enemy to the White House, ruined my career over a silly affair, lost my son to a dumb duel then alsl died on a dumber duel: the musical" just feels...off. and I may be mistakenhere, but was Jefferson really that exuberant? He always felt like a borderline Asperger type to me.

Give me Thomas Payne: the musical, and then we are talking.

Thomas Payne: The Musical would be awesome, but even 200+ years later I think he'd still be too radical for American audiences.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Majorian posted:

A lack of support from the voting public is not the problem; it's a lack of support from the Democratic establishment.

That would require these things called "leadership" and "having a vision". Unfortunately, you won't find much in establishment figures who give more shits about their paychecks than people dying in the streets or sliding into poverty.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

Why is JC acting as if he's got the slightest idea about who's electable and who's not?

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Edit: Also lmao @ the NY Times. What a bunch of drat morons. Or more accurately, nazis.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

A couple words switched out and you got yourself an article talking about the antebellum US.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yes, but there's additional context I would add to that.

The first is "no evidence of actual tampering": that doesn't mean there was no tampering, it just means we can't prove it (with publicly available information, anyway). Someone breaks into a house at night and then leaves; you can't figure out if anything's missing; that doesn't mean there wasn't a burglary, or that nothing was stolen, it just means you can't prove that something was stolen. Rather the reverse; the fact of the break-in is evidence of, at least, intent and attempt to rob, both of which are crimes in and of themselves regardless of whether or not anything was actually stolen. Even if we can't prove that the Russians did tamper with the election -- and that does not mean they didn't, it just means it hasn't yet been proven (publicly) -- we can prove they attempted to do so, and attempt to [crime] is also a crime.

Past that, there's a huge amount of evidence that most American electronic voting machines are *extremely* vulnerable -- just google "diebold hack" and you'll get a hundred different articles.
See, e.g.,

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/08/2016-elections-russia-hack-how-to-hack-an-election-in-seven-minutes-214144

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/rigged-presidential-elections-hackers-demonstrate-voting-threat-old-machines/

Many of those machines are so vulnerable that there would not necessarily *be* any trail to find afterwards.

Given all that, it seems extraordinarily naive to just rest on "well, we can't prove the election results were tampered with". Maybe not, but there's definitely enough evidence to conclude that tampering probably happened. If you see someone in a mask break into a house carrying a gasoline tank, and then you see smoke pouring out of said house, you don't need camera footage of the match being struck to draw the reasonable inference that someone set the house on fire, even if you can't prove it (yet, at least).

All that said, there's also the Podesta / DNC hack, which is a separate incident and similarly criminal, and I don't think the facts of that are disputed at all, so I don't really need the election databases hack to make my case, they're just an extra data point in support.

Is this some weird remake of that invisible dragon thought experiment from Carl Sagan's book?

Edit: lmao, thinking about this some more, this is exactly the same argument that they were using for the whole Benghazi shitstorm, "We don't have any evidence that Hillary sent the stand down order directly, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen!". I also see the same lovely logic constantly from right leaning co-workers about Uranium One/the Deep State/Clinton baby-eating conspiracies "Just wait, you'll see!!!".

BadOptics fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Feb 20, 2018

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

World War One started because a random nutjob private citizen shot a hereditary monarch, it wasn't even sparked by state action. America joined WW1 because Germany sent Mexico a telegram. "Act of War" if by that we mean "action after which war is the response", is not exactly a high standard to meet. IIn that sense, it's descriptive, not prescriptive.

This is an insane simplification of WWI.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Didn't they already do this exact story a year or two back?

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Some real Galaxy brain poo poo going on in that op-ed.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Kilroy posted:

Wouldn't the Nazi just cut a deal to share power with the other far-right dickheads, or perhaps even co-opt that party entirely, and then implement most or all of the terrible policies you were hoping to avoid by voting for him?

I mean it's not like with leftists, OOCC: right-wingers tend to have no problem allying themselves with erstwhile enemies if it means they get to brutalize more people.

OOCC is literally using the same playbook as the Germans did in 1933, but hoping it turns out differently.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Democrazy posted:

That’s not what I said. What I said is that the KPD sided with the Nazis over the liberals with whom they were fighting, which they did, explicitly, and after the Nazis had already shown their brutality to their own people.

The actions of the SPD during the Spartacus revolt, while regrettable, are not quite equal to the Holocaust.

This is a pretty good take man. Keep it up! The forum believes in you!

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

The KPD: noted best friends of Herr Hitler.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Impeachment has always been a political tool you loving idiot.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

"Infiltration". LMAO. They just hid it better until they felt confident enough to show their colors.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

I've never read anything from this crazy person before, but I liked this article:

http://theweek.com/articles/766237/3-ways-gop-rebuild-after-trump

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

WampaLord posted:

Based on the discussion in QQCS, I think the time for leftists being allowed to post in D&D is quickly drawing to a close:

PPJ is the "best" poster in the Trump thread and the only thing he does is vomit out page long tweet dumps. Also lol @ the time when peeps were defending a 40 year old dude for dating a teenager because he had a D next to his name. I don't think a single one of them have a set of principles or moral code that they follow for more than a day.

BadOptics fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jun 12, 2018

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Radish posted:

I think "kid concentration camp" was a bit too far beyond the pale for the Democrats to allow Manchin to be himself on and play Mr Neutral so there was some serious pressure applied in order to avoid the embarrassment of having a high ranking member on the wrong side of this (hence the delay in his support). Still at least the party is willing to be unanimous in this one so good on them for that.

Yeah. Any Republican that claims to be against Trump's ways, now is do or die time.

The only thing the GOP disagrees with Trump on is his methods, not his goals.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

The criticisms I've seen so far are either untrue, or the same stuff that all Democrats do and often to a lesser extent that they do it.

He's not my hero but the only well-founded critique is "he said nice things about Assad", so if your position is any politician who ever supports a Bad Guy on the world stage must be shunned out of politics then okay I'm down let's get started on that

Look, all he has to do to redeem himself is sell billions in arms to Saudi Arabia and completely ignore their war crimes. Pretty simple poo poo even Obama was able to do.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Condiv posted:

Indeed. Seems our conversation is done if “nice meltdown!” Is the best you’ve got left :shrug:

You shouldn't be so passionate, it's only politics!

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

I think it's pretty funny that the centrists on this forum got all pissy about corncob avatars and then turned around and started doling out swastika avatars for "wrong think".

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Der Waffle Mous posted:

The whole point is "Dems Worse" shouldn't be a defense for Bernie's weird subconscious grandpa racism. It keeps being used to defend Bernie's weird subconscious grandpa racism. Why do you keep defending racism when its someone you like?

And no I work a goddamn graveyard shift I don't have no spite avatar money.

Condiv posted:

Not to say that holding bernie to account for having bad positions is a bad thing. That’s how people get him to change after all.

But when you reflexively defend manchin it brings into question your sincerity in this discussion

I think I've seen one post actually defend Bernie so I don't know where you're this idea from.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Radish posted:

In regards to the recent SCOTUS bullshit rulings people are saying we need to pack the courts but lol the Democrats defend Trump administration officials not getting dinner. There's no way they pull a McConnell let alone add seats.

Uh...haven't you been seeing the sick stacks of political capital tokens Nancy and Chuck have been building up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

That twitter account has some serious brain damage.

https://twitter.com/HoarseWisperer/status/1018272226502696962
https://twitter.com/HoarseWisperer/status/1018476147997335554

Edit: LMAO, I didn't realize those were posted on the same day.

• Locked thread