Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

In more ridiculousness regarding High Elf shooting, the Princess replaces Rally and Hold the Line with constantly active AoE passives that boost reload speed (+10 at first, then +20). And given the lack of specifics beyond "allied army," they affect your bolt throwers too. You know, just in case you wanted your stack of Seaguard and Eagle Claws to kill everything even faster.

On that note, Eagle Claws are great, but the two you get in the gate armies seem mostly useless, as you still can't put artillery on walls and bolt throwers are line of effect weapons.

Also, the interventions seem fairly worthless. Spawned a high level stack against the Lizardman that started next to one of their ritual sites (which was without a stack), it proceeded to go south and attack a minor settlement with a full stack in it, obliterating the settlement and stack, but taking damage in the process. So one turn wasted, it then marched back north and put the ritual site under siege the next turn, despite that it should have been able to attack immediately and there still not being a stack in the city. Queue it still sieging the city a few turns later when the Lizardmen got another full stack there and killed it.

edit: On the topic of rogue armies, got a truly ridiculous one that spawned and was basically purely Empire artillery (so among other things, 3-4 Rocket Batteries), plus 2 Steam Tanks.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Gonkish posted:

Literally all you need to know about High Elf armies, right there. Shamelessly stolen from some dude on reddit.

Tyrion's quest battle for his armor is basically just the reverse of the Malekith quest battle that was shown off in the streams. Except I'd already basically won before the Teclis reinforcements even showed up, as everything got shot to death on approach. First the vanguard and then the main force in sequence - only real casualties were from side units clearing out the Cold One Knights on the flanks.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 29, 2017

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Flagellum posted:

High Elf archers with 180 range are insanely good until you face some random pirate/chaos/dark elf hybrid dude raiding your home with elite chosen or a full feral dinosaur stack in the jungles.

Seaguard should be making up your front line, and they have frankly insane defensive stats along with a decent anti-large bonus. And Chosen tend to be priority targets for bolt throwers. Or those 2-3 units of Swordmasters/Phoenix Guard you keep sitting around. They'll still be losing models as they close the distance under fire from 8-10+ archer units anyways.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Rookersh posted:

Fun lore facts.

- Malekith is a monster, but he's also actually the real Phoenix King. All the current Phoenix Kings had to fake the ceremony to get coronated, and the gods have basically wholly abandoned the Elves because of it. For how haughty and self righteous the Elves are about their superiority, they are also wrong.

Most of the other items were broadly correct, but just no on this one. This claim was End Times bullshit, with absolutely no credence ever given to that claim previously. Hell, the writing regarding the elves was possibly some of the worst garbage in the entirety of the midden heap that was the End Times books. Like, even if you dislike elves this statement was so mindbogglingly stupid, given Malekith and his follower's actions both during the civil war and in the millennia since, that it really needs to be discarded and ignored out of hand.

Thankfully CA is indeed basically ignoring everything mentioned in the End Times books and pretending it never happened.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Gamerofthegame posted:

I find it kind of bizarre, personally. Mostly because you can work around a lot of the negative ones (Oh nooo, -5 melee defense) while the positive ones have you just recruiting goku

Yeah, it's generally not too hard to find recruits whose "negatives" are completely irrelevant. Like, someone want to tell me why I care about -5% speed on my Lore of Life mage?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

rockopete posted:

Did they ever fix it? I know it's been around forever.

Might just be even more noticeable now, what with the occasionally better garrisons. It is not fun having to deal with High Elf colonies when their garrison comes in behind you, along with whatever was in the actual army - the garrisons can have something like 8 shielded Seaguard plus additional archers and 1-2 bolt throwers, along with some other stuff.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Wafflecopper posted:

Yeah so in other words it's dumb and it should always work the way it does in co-op

The caveat to this is that ritual costs are also doubled in co-op, so the sharing really is required.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Ran into a rather unpleasant issue tonight where I could do nothing about a Chaos army spawned by another faction's ritual raiding my territory. Specifically, as Kroq-Gar I took one of Queek's ritual cities the turn or two after he started one, before either of the Chaos armies that spawned nearby really did anything. One of them wandered off over the sea towards his other ritual site (Fortress of Dawn - also his last province period), but the other one just stuck around and raided the province. At this point I obviously wanted it gone, so I attempted to attack it - and ran into the war declaration pop-up with the "Declare War!" section completely greyed out, rendering this impossible. Thus forcing me to just continuously be raided until they finally vanished due to the ritual period ending.

I think I understand why they might have programmed those pop-up armies as they did in terms of diplomacy, but that's really lovely and should probably be fixed.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

As a note regarding quickly building gimmick Lizardman heroes on dinos armies, keep watch on your hero lists for the Humble trait (a Lizardman unique one). It gives +2 Hero recruit rank for the local province - and it stacks.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

RoyalScion posted:

Just get a heavens (or whatever mage has lightning stuff, don't remember?) mage on a pegasus, fly unhindered and urannon's the hellcannon, problem solved in about 30 seconds with 0 risk.

The biggest thing I remember Hellcannons causing a stir with when they initially came out was their incredibly silly misfire chart which included "every spellcaster on the battlefield takes a wound, no saves of any sort allowed." Which, while entirely random, was not something several armies - potentially including the Chaos one itself - wanted to be rolled.

In everything else, allowing Warriors of Chaos to take a single incredibly expensive cannon was not some massive paradigm shift in tactics for anyone, and any player running an artillery/gunline heavy list against WoC who whined about it deserved to be mocked.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

If you're playing Settra, I'm pretty sure the overall best choice for that turn 6 hero pick is the Necrotect. Significantly because it gets you fast access to the second ritual, and thus lets you quickly finish out your starting region with a fully upgraded settlement.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

turn off the TV posted:

According to their patch notes even normal had problems, at least on the campaign map it was using the wrong personality settings. Just complete :psyduck:.

But yeah, the game has a problem with snowballing. At least in my Khalida Vortex campaign it's always a shitshow whenever the Lizardmen show up with a bunch of Temple Guard, because as far as I can tell there just isn't a good hard counter to them in the TK army.

Haven't tried them yet (and also haven't fought lizards), but think someone was saying scorpions are fairly good at taking them on - or other halberd infantry for that matter. Their attacks fling infantry around so much, and they have so much invulnerable time from their burrowing and the like, that infantry just gets wrecked since they can't get hits in.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

now that its happened twice: don't bring arty against tomb kings, greatbows will murder it

is there a specific thing that's causing summon abilities to cast but not actually summon anything? this happened to skrolk at a crucial juncture

Note one of the streamers showed this off in an MP battle right before launch, or thereabouts. He'd brought Skaven with two Warp Lightning Cannons, while his opponent brought the RoR Usabti Greatbow unit. As soon as they got within range of one of the cannon units they proceeded to destroy 2/3 of the actual cannons in like their first volley. And that was after taking a fair chunk of damage as they moved into range.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

So is it siege engines themselves that are bugged, Dwarven ones in particular, or certain siege maps that are? Just had a fun, fun Black Crag siege where the three Grudge Throwers and a Bolt Thrower I'd brought absolutely refused to shoot the towers. Every time I tried to target them the throwers just started rolling forward idiotically. Alternatively one occasionally just claiming it was obstructed - despite absolutely nothing in-between - instead.

Finally had to resort to running a bunch of Quarrelers forward and just manually shoot all the Orcs off the tower capture points, during which time I took way more casualties than I remotely should of, considering how much artillery I'd brought specifically to reduce the towers before assaulting the walls. Because I really needed yet another reason to just loving autoresolve siege battles.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Feb 3, 2018

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

How many old players of WHFB who left in disgust over AoS are actually going to come back? I've gotten the impression most have either just completely ignored GW these and continued on playing 8th edition independently, or moved over to that fan continuation - The 9th Age.

Because people can go on and on about how the rules have gotten much better, but it doesn't matter. Even aside from the setting annihilation, the utter mess that was the launch of AoS means a huge chunk of their previous playerbase just flat out left in disgust. You don't just magically get that back.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Rookersh posted:

ME. I'll check and see if it works on Vortex.

That's interesting. I've been trying out Avelorn in ME too, and while Tyrion has recently taken the shrine after it got razed by a Blood Voyage, he certainly didn't beeline for it - instead he completely and utterly mulched through and conquered the entire eastern outer ring of Ulthuan. Haven't see any Malekith armies either.

And related to Blood Voyages... wow is Alarielle eating way too many penalties for nowhere near enough gain. You're still eating penalties at around the 65% trust mark (however that's calculated) and even at 100% the bonuses, while good, aren't exactly gamebreaking. The Chaos thing is at least interesting since there are scaling bonuses to certain things as corruption goes up, in addition to the personal penalties she takes, but Defender of Ulthuan is straight penalties until you get the trust bar to just shy of 70% (it starts in the 20s).

Oh, and and the trust bar constantly degrades so long as there's a single settlement on the entirety of the isle that's either not under HE control or razed. In my case, after finally getting it to ~80% and wiping out the DE north of her, that loving blood voyage hit on the very tip, razing the Shrine and immediately slapping me with a 20% drop and the bar starting to degrade again.

Given the how the mechanics for Hellebron work, the balance between the two is utter and complete poo poo.

On other matters, how the hell is autoresolve still completely hosed? It should not be hard to get it into at least a vaguely reasonable state. Here's the result screen for a battle from earlier:

Yes, that's a bunch of units that had roughly 7 individuals left each - the garrison was no better - and the bar was roughly 90%+ in my favor for autoresolve. I still had to waste time fighting it manually because hitting autoresolve knocked off half Alarielle's health and completely wiped out the Tree Kin. I know the given reason why it happened (Sea Guard are counted as ranged units), but it's still complete garbage and a solution should have been easily implemented for this months ago. This is also ignoring the fact that the Tree Kin could probably have taken on every single goddamn enemy unit on the field and taken minimal damage even if I had for some reason done so.

Exhibit B would be another battle I fought where the autoresolve claimed it was 50/50... here were the force compositions:
Enemy:
-Prince
-Noble
-4 Spearmen
-2 Archers (Light Armor)
-2 Sea Guard (Shields)
-2 Ellyrian Mounted Archers

Mine:
-Alarielle
-Handmaiden
-6 Sea Guard (Shields)
-4 Sisters of Avelorn
-2 Eagle Bolt Throwers
-1 Tree Kin

No prizes guessing who won that battle with almost no damage, with very little effort. Those sure should have been forces that looked evenly matched to the autoresolve alright.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jun 1, 2018

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Oh, right, I forgot to put in one of the reasons why the rewards you can eventually get not being remotely equal to the penalties you start with and immediately continue increasing is complete garbage. In order to kick the DEs off Ulthuan, you need to get through one of the goddamn gates - the gates that, under DE control, include 5 Darkshards (Shields) and 2 Black Guard in addition to the various T1 melee troops. I got lucky in that they sallied and the chosen battle map was the dual landbridge one. They all funneled over one towards a minimal force while I had a huge archer force just line up on the other and fire into their sides. If they'd actually stayed on the gate I don't even want to think about how miserable budging them would have been - and 14 turns of nothing to siege them down would have been poo poo too. God help you if the AI parks a loving army on the gate.

If the bonuses were good or great that could have been considered a decent challenge, but as-is it's just a giant roadblock you need to get through in order to eat lesser penalties (not even bonuses - you still have to clear out the 3 settlements north of that before you might eventually start seeing those).

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Huh, after checking the requirements, just realized I got awarded yet another bugged out achievement last night. Picked up Dark Dragon Lord which, going by the text, requires recruiting a Black Dragon as the Dark Elves... I got it upon conquering Vaul's Anvil (the DE one), which happened to have the upgraded scroll building already constructed (which has a Black Dragon in its garrison).

Given I'd already built one of those upgraded garrisons, and did so months and months ago near release too in a different campaign, not sure how that magically hit the trigger this time. Not like I've ever actually recruited one of those in any game, so it's not even a matter of the trigger somehow getting delayed or something.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Skaven more or less need three more Lords.

Ikkit Claw leading Clan Skrye in Skavenblight. Throt the Unclean leading Moulder in Hellpit. And Thanquol starting wherever he needs to.

Thanqoul taking control of a clan that is not his own makes sense. Maybe have him as a lord with multiple start positions being able to be selected part of Mors, Pestilens, Rictis, Skrye, or Moulder.

There is no way we are getting 3 more Skaven lords when they've got 3 already. Currently the most is Vampire Counts with 5 (...6 if you count the Red Duke), with everyone else having less, and complaints about that saturation compared to everyone else already exist. Maybe if Tretch hadn't been thrown into the game it would have been possible, but as-is you're probably getting 2 more at most for the foreseeable future. So Thanquol and possibly one other, most likely.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

People claiming Thanquol doesn't make sense are missing the practical issue - he's a Grey Seer. Which, you might notice, is still missing a LL(Tretch and Queek are Warlords, and Skrolk is a boosted Plague Monk). For that reason alone he's probably a shoe-in.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Zudgemud posted:

They didn't according to the above, but hopefully some tidbit of lore describes some enterprising mercenary captain strutting up to a local herd and asking.

I mean, the end result of that would simply be "hey, free food," so it's not like it'd be a terribly interesting story. Or a long one.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

toasterwarrior posted:

Yeah, I think this first run is about to go south since I went for a tool workshop instead of barracks. 8 Slayers are scary, but they won't last against arrows.

Which is a problem, because Greenskin stacks tend to be filled with archers. And with 0 Armor they tend to die quick if they have to frontline against generic boyz too. Sure they'll cause a lot of damage, but having to replace them gets expensive real fast given their initial recruit cost.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

The other disadvantage of Ungrim's start is that Kislev apparently doesn't trade. Ever.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Annoyingly in my current Ungrim playthrough I've still gotten into the Badlands hellwar. Thorgrim being useless and somehow having still not taken the entire Silver Road by turn 45 or so, despite multiple full stacks around, meant I had to keep going south to wipe out the Orc faction you start at war with. Also finally got into a war with Mannfred after the jackass built a Balefire Hearth in one of Zhufbar's minor settlements and they've been too poo poo to kick him out (it's spreading Vamp. corruption to multiple of my provinces).

Though since I'm now sitting on 4 gold mines (Gunbad, Black Crag, Drakenhof, and whatever the minor settlement one near you is) I guess I can't complain too much.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

KazigluBey posted:

If you've cleared the N and taken Zufbar you're on the way to developing two Gold Mine provinces, one of which has a sort-of additional mine in the form of the Brightstone Mine worth 1.5K a turn. With all this under your belt you really need to consider wiping out the Vamps to secure your core provinces, plus E Sylvania gets you your third Gold Mine and a Wine resource for trading. You can burn W Sylvania if there are human factions somewhere near, they'll probably move in, but if you want to be sure the vamp situation is wrapped up nicely take that province for yourself and focus both E and W Sylvania on Public Order and Uncorrupted.

Also Zufbar's Westernmost region has a Landmark that yields more Dwarven Ale resource than you will ever possibly trade away.

Incidentally, if you're willing to wade into the Badlands hellwar (because you either confederated Thorgrim or he didn't bother taking the rest of Silver Road) then the final region of the province south of Silver Road (Iron Rock, the one next to, but on the other side of some mountains from, Black Crag), there's a landmark there that gives you 100 chests of Obsidian (400 income and 2 Miners w/ BCs for the garrison too). Not sure if it's from the latest patch, but I don't think it was there last time I played dwarves many months ago.

Technically you don't have to wade into the war to get it, since that's Bloody Spears territory and not Greenskins (and Ungrim only starts at war with the spears), but you might as well once you're there.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I'm fairly fine with Expendable units still impacting morale via the army losses penalty since your remaining forces are still getting steadily outnumbered. Sure, that unit of Clanrats doesn't remotely care about the life or death of those Skavenslaves, but they probably care a great deal about there suddenly being less bodies on their side of the field to put between themselves and danger.

In other news...

"Close Victory" indeed.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Well, started a new lizards campaign (Vortex), and what the hell is up with some of this poo poo? It took 70 turns to get my first blessed spawning mission, which is goddamn ridiculous - I'd actually been about to check to see if they broke something it was taking so long.

Oh, and Khatep declared on me despite being multiple provinces away, and proceeded to march 3 armies past multiple Dark Elf undefended settlements he was at war with in order to beeline to a settlement he couldn't even see and sack it (Chotek's Causeway). Fun and Engaging mechanics indeed, and totally not complete bullshit.

edit: Oh, right, and autobattle unit damage is still broken as hell, and somehow nearly-to-completely wipes out multiple Kroxigor units, despite them being in a nearly full stack with a shitload of Saurus, even with ~80-90% of the bar in my favor.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 21, 2018

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Upon further playing, I don't know what the hell is wrong, but something is seriously up with their autoresolve damage formula, and it goes way beyond their excuses that it's complicated. As I've been standardizing, my armies are generally a frontline of 6 Temple Guard, who in a favorable autoresolve take very little damage. But the 2 Kroxigor units I'm generally using, or the 2 Horned One units I'm gradually introducing, tend to get wrecked - if not outright destroyed. These are all melee units with similar armor, reasonably similar HP, and MD values not terribly far off from each other either - there is no bloody way there should be this much difference in damage taken. Hell, enemy composition doesn't matter to this either, because it has been happening against stacks with precisely 0 Anti-Large units too so it's not a matter of that quality being over-emphasized or something.

In similar dumb news, though fun dumb in this case, I've been remembering the stupid hilarity of the Humble trait for Lizardmen heroes, and now have 6 various skink heroes with the trait all sitting in the same province. Recruitable Rank 15 Scar Veterans (and thus Carnosaurs) for all my armies? Sure, why not.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Honestly, if we ever seen another LL lord for a TWW1 race, I hope it comes packaged with a complete skill refurbishment for all the TWW1 lords. Because it's just painful going from how they're set up in TWW2 back to the setup in TWW1 - especially the red line skills.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

The HE gate maps not letting you put artillery on the walls is probably the most egregious example. The top of those walls is incredibly wide - like twice the width of all other walls in the game - and there's absolutely no reason a few spots on them couldn't have been designated as able to place artillery there. That the garrison actually includes two bolt throwers - which are nigh worthless since you can't put them on the walls - just puts a huge focus on the issue.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

The dumbest thing about the Fay Enchantress start is you still get the orc incursion thing at the beginning of the game, but start multiple provinces away from any orcish settlements. Sure you can just spend those turns farming the rebellions due to the massive public order hit, but it's incredibly dumb to give them the event with basically no realistic way to turn it off.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

...No, it's designed around theoretically slowing you down until you get around to attacking the orcs. That everyone quickly figured out that you can just farm the incursions for exp is not the supposed reason for that event. With the Fay Enchantress start in particular I just want them to gently caress off for once so I don't spend 20 turns spinning my wheels when I want to go deal with Estalia and the Beastmen.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Yeah, high magic is definitely underwhelming. Nets and Banishment are really good but the lizardpeople are the worst faction at focusing down isolated units and the rest of light is super meh

To be fair, Net's fun with Mazdamundi's stack since you can then drop comets and/or his bound spells Banishment and Ruination of Cities on said stuck units. Agree on it being much less useful for any other stack though.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Ammanas posted:

Cracked open the elves in my cortex TK campaign. The amount of arrow fire they bring to bear is very intimidating, so expect to lose 80% of your tomb guard. Bone giants and ushabti tear them apart piece by piece and the HE arrows just can't penetrate.

The normal archers no, but be aware Sisters of Avelorn have a fair chunk of AP damage on their bows along with being magical attacks. And Sea Guard are both spearmen and archers, so they've got both anti-large and charge defense in melee. Ushabti can probably chew through them fine, but they might very well do more damage than you might expect. But yes, armored monsters are somewhat of a High Elf weakness since their dedicated anti-large infantry unit is sitting right at the highest tier of units. As are their dragons, and the AI isn't necessarily going to concentrate bolt throwers on the targets they need to.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Pierson posted:

Are Ushabti Greatbows meant to be replacing my skeleton spearmen when I get access to them or do they fill different niches? I don't generally go with much ranged because I love weird monsters too much and Tomb Kings have so many different type of Weird Cool poo poo.

They're effectively artillery in monstrous infantry form so no, they don't really serve the same role as skeletal spearmen.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

My most recent experience with fanatics was with them as part of a reinforcing army... the "they come in directly behind you" reinforcement garbage, that is. And they had like 4 NG w/ fanatic units, which all released the instant the AI judged them to be far enough onto the map to do so. It was incredibly Fun and Engaging "tactics" with no counterplay whatsoever.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Hentai Jihadist posted:

Handgun zombies and deck gunners completely destroy and outclass everything even dwarf gunlines once they pick up a couple buffs

So far I haven't run into an army that can beat me and I just faced down two stacks of swordmasters and two dragons with tyrion at the helm

Honestly, it's still early yet but glancing at some of the major youtubers doing MP videos, I'm somewhat concerned they might be a bit too powerful there too. Cylostra in particular, given she gets a huge number of fairly good summons of both line-breaking and line-holding capability along with being a main caster. Hell, even when you tie up handgunner zombies in melee it takes forever to grind through them given they're both undead (and thus unbreakable) and zombies (and thus have a huge health pool), leaving the Vampirate player time to reposition and respond. Several factions in particular I'm concerned are going to struggle to counter even their more basic builds, let alone any purpose-brought counters.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Elspeth von Draken herself is fine, the Carmine Dragon can go in the loving trash with Demigryphs, as something that should never have been associated with Empire to begin with.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Cythereal posted:

The Empire's had a dragon for a long time. It lives in the Imperial Zoo in Altdorf, and Karl Franz can ride it when he wants.

You kind of said it yourself there, the Empire has A dragon. As in ONE. Singular. It's a unique attraction. Not, "oh, someone in Nuln's had another one for as long as we can remember." Also, it's left in the Zoo virtually all the time, with Franz basically always taking Deathclaw in any situation it wasn't absolutely vital, rather than being ridden around everywhere the Emperor goes.

I legitimately would have been more okay with it being a Zombie Dragon she'd ripped control of from some vampire or another. And I say that knowing full well what the opinions of the Amethyst School's opinion on undeath is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

A reminder that Thanquol managed to summon Skarbrand - the most powerful Bloodthirster in existence - accidentally. Using a summoning ritual that really should have been fairly basic and known to him(he was going for a Verminlord). To say he's a giant beacon of destruction (usually of Skaven) is a huge understatement.