Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

suddenly i want to get a keyboard with blank keys and then write all the legends on them with sharpie, just to piss off keyboard autists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

blowfish posted:

i don't understand the concept of typing without bottoming out

it's utter horseshit as far as I'm concerned. some dumbass must have thought that this is the proper way to type since cherry switches actuate before bottoming out, and then keyboard autists starting parroting that for whatever reason ("I'm a better typist than you" ??). I've never seen anyone give any sort of explanation, and when trying to type that way myself I've found it to be really painful because my wrists tense up so much

BUT that being said I recently got a keyboard for work with MX browns and found that often I do sort of naturally end up typing without always bottoming out. my kb at home has MX blues. so idk it's weird whatever type however you fuckin' want I guess

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

speaking of that new keyboard...it's an iKBC KD87, has really nice laser etched PBT keycaps and now suddenly my quickfire rapid at home kinda feels/looks like poo poo and now I want a new board for home but I'm a little unsure what switches I want now and ohhhh gently caress here I go down the gross geekhack keyboard autism hole :(

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

schranz kafka posted:

i can't believe they're still producing those with not only a windows specific key, but a windows key with the old logo. wtf

it's the boring XP-7 era one, lame. give me the win98 and earlier version, hell yeah

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

my bitter bi rival posted:

what should i buy if i feel this way about the browns i have but like them otherwise?

maybe clears, they are basically browns but stiffer, requiring more actuation force. never typed on them myself, though.

you ever try blues? you might like their clickyness.

get out there and grope some keyboards, I guess.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Dislike button posted:

cherry red switches ... needs suited

no, no they are not.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

i got a coolermaster masterkeys s with PBT keys and blue switches for christmas

keys seem a good deal stiffer/snappier than my old quickfire rapid with blues. i dunno we'll see if they break in or something. keycaps honestly don't feel quite as nice as the iKBC board i have at work. dunno if i'm surprised, i imagine to get the pricepoint they did coolermaster had to cut a few corners here and there.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

I got an iKBC somethingorother with cherry browns at work and a coolermaster masterkeys pbt with cherry blues at home

I think the browns are growing on me more

hrrmm

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Kilometres Davis posted:

Pretty new to this and I have two questions as I look for a mech keyboard to use with a small foldback laptop at cafes and the library.

1. What switches fit the bill of: like blues, but a little bit stiffer, and silent (or close to)?

2. How difficult is it to replace the switches on a board if I have to order them separately?

Edit: P.S. does anyone know of a good mostly flat mouse that fits easily in a laptop bag?

this is either a troll or you have sustained a level of autism that is beyond the scope of this thread (check the sh/sc thread or if you really wanna go off the deep end geekhack.org)

don't take a goddamn mechanical keyboard with you to the library. or any public place. or anywhere, really.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

for some profoundly insane reason this thing cost $595

yes, five hundred ninety five goddamn dollars.

idgi.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

pram posted:

shift

shift shift

fixed

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

The concept of "bottoming out" and being a bad typing technique is completely invented by redditors and has no basis. I'm pretty sure that it makes gently caress all difference how hard you press the keys re if you get tendinitis or carpal tunnel.

I'm going to take it one step further and also assert that the concept was probably invented to blame victims of poo poo ergonomic layouts which are nearly universal in the mechanical keyboard world.

agreed a million percent, anyone who says you "shouldn't" be bottoming out is parroting horseshit they got from reading too much geekhack. i've never seen any good justification for it and even that blurb from kinesis that alicorn posted sounds bullshitty. just loving type and quit sperging out so much about it.

duckfarts posted:

more like spergonomic

also agreed a million percent.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

akadajet posted:

yeah, if I'm going to be using a keyboard and monitor I want the full desktop experience and not a compromised laptop experience

if you're an excel janitor and need a numpad that badly, buy a separate one and put it to the left of your TKL keyboard, thus allowing for correct ergonomics. keyboard centered to your display, and mouse within comfortable reach.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

u want numpad?? u really want numpad??? THEN HAVE ALL THE NUMPAD!!!!

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Jenny Agutter posted:

have any of you rsi sufferers used a rollermouse? a co-worker of mine swore by it

a few people at work have them and i've tried them out very, very briefly. they are surprisingly easy to use for how strange they look. multiple monitor or even ultrawide could be an issue, yeah, it's probably one of those things you're just going to have to experiment with yourself.

but drat they're ffffucking expensive, yowza.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

it's for color grading (idk some pagancow type poo poo) and costs $350

same company also makes this crazy fucker for $15,000 :eyepop:

the labels underneath the buttons and knobs are all tiny displays :popeye:

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Agile Vector posted:

i call it a kaiserball

lmao

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Skim Milk posted:

your work keyboard should match your shoes ie not appropriate for restaurant work

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

r u ready to WALK posted:

this thread tricked me into buying a wasd keyboard with mx clears and a unicomp, neither of them are as good as the corsair clown keyboard with browns

it isn't the switches that make the corsair a clownboard. get a wasd or whatever w/browns. also realtalk what are your thoughts re: clears vs browns?

my dad owned and used one of these for a while:

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

rotor posted:

idk wtf any of that means but i do know that I can't just plug my mouse into my keyboard any more, which is stupid and dumb

what's ur pointing device of choice these days? are you still using that crazy adjustable thing?

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

rotor posted:

logitech mx master. The cyber rat 7's cord got kind of crunchy and i didn't feel like fixing it.

:hfive:

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

who is it that says you’re not supposed to bottom out at all? like typing form is some platonic ideal

dipshits on reddit and geekhack

ignore them

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Taintrunner posted:

keyboard catte get off! you can't even type!

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Cold on a Cob posted:

bought a $120 trackball and a $40 liftkit for my kinesis freestyle edge because gently caress rsi

did you get one of those crazy L-trac behemoths?

i think long term im really gonna have to try some alternative mice (probably vertical mouse, maybe trackballs) but im hopelessly addicted to the fancy scrollwheel on my mx master. i don't know why the gently caress logitech doesn't put that in their own vertical mouse or trackball. *switches to freespin and scrolls past a billion of ur lovely posts*

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

dick traceroute posted:

Take apart an old USB mouse
Fit a bicycle wheel to your desk
Rig the scroll encoder to the wheel

I have done this

Will do it again I think
Or maybe I'll attach it to the bowling ball trackball I'm building

lmao post pics

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

help i think i now have a brain tumor

http://chassepot.com/chassepot-keyboard-c1000-go-1.html

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

post pics you dingleberry

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

now that's an arrow key cluster with some real character

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

This would have prevented wasd

esdf is better

i gave up re-binding my controls for every game long ago though

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

pram posted:

good for geriatric goons

i had to use one of these once at a library for their card catalog. it was awful. pretty sure it was mechanical, though!

Share Bear posted:

I got the Logitech MX Master 3 and it's very neat, but also my frail thumb and index finger are not used to driving a chunk across a desktop anymore.

Horizontal thumb scroll is neat, trying to figure out other uses for it besides switching apps or desktops.

The massive downside: Compared to trackpad stuff it's that much more effortful. I wish my old tragic pad didn't give up the ghost.

edit: I didn't do the Ergo because I would constantly gently caress up and try to use the trackball with three fingers, without using clicking or the wheel, due to behaviors learned from the tragic pad. If the ergo ball would click-in, I think I would've stuck with it.

if you're so brain damaged you can't handle a regular mouse, why didn't you just get a new trackpad?

also, a great use for the horizontal thumb scroll: horizontal scrolling

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

rotor posted:

• next desktop
  • prev desktop

do that imo

:thunk:

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

no

no...no NO

NO! NO!! NO!!!!!!

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Jimmy Carter posted:

any good 40% keyboards

no

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

Is the iKBC TD108 an goode keyboard? It's like 9x :10bux: and has cherry browns and I think I heard they were good or something?

It's got volume keys and the Caps Lock/Number Lock/Scroll Lock lights which are kind of "must haves" for me.

:shrug:

i got a different model iKBC at work and it's good, very solid construction and the PBT keycaps are nice. the position of the indicator LEDs sucks though, they're right between two rows of keys so they aren't really visible at all. my coolermaster board has them in the empty space above the arrow keys, way better visibility there.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

that thing's loving crazy, wonder what it was originally for. government call center? the numpad is arranged like a telephone, complete with letters.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

who needs keyboard goop when you can have keyboard honey?

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

neither did a shitload of the replies in that thread

hint: actually look up the dvorak keyboard layout

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

RustyKnight posted:

I'm getting really inclined to get myself this, Vortex Core

my partner is getting mad at me saying that I am trying really hard to find worst keyboard possible

that looks kind of fun and stupid but not $89 fun and stupid. also not wireless, that's dumb.

and you can go gently caress yourself if you plan to use that as your regular keyboard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

agreeing with echi re:PBT

but be careful not all pbt keycaps are created equal, I got a cooler master kb a while ago which had PBT keys and they were awful, barely felt like PBT. they ended up getting shiny kind of like abs, just took a little longer to do so