Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

8-bit Miniboss posted:

If anyone is looking to do Amiibo stuff but don't want to buy a N2 Elite or an Android phone to back up Amiibo, you can have your hacked 3DS do it:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/beta-thenaya-tagmo-for-3ds.475870/

Has mostly the same features and limitations as TagMo.

Will this write to a PowerTag?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Don't know. A couple people have asked in the GBATemp thread but I didn't see an answer for it. I know TagMo added that feature a couple months ago however. That happened in September I think while the latest version of Thenaya was built in August, so might not be able to at the moment.

Hmm... maybe I'll just give it a shot anyway, is there a risk of me ruining my PowerTag?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

This is wonderful.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

:fap:

Hahaha, it was a good run Switch.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Manky posted:

Do y'all actually think piracy hurts platforms? Because it's pretty weird to be cheering about if you do. I mean, I really don't, I don't think the 3ds was hurt one bit by being cracked wide open. Just seems like a weird attitude to be putting out there.

You've misunderstood, I'm not saying the Switch is dead, only laughing at it getting cracked this soon. It has to be a record, right? On the other hand, this light's a fire under Nintendo's rear end to do the simple poo poo people have wanted for a while (VC, save game transfers, a loving online browser) so maybe they'll start delivering. Super strange of them to go with the Tegra since this apparently is has been a known exploit for a while. I don't care either way if this makes or breaks Nintendo, I'm glad I'll have full access to my console and run whatever the gently caress and have the ultimate piece of emulation hardware. I don't see this as the end of the Switch or Nintendo, though I do see this as an opportunity to stock up on Switches now and sell a bunch online modded once that's a thing.

Cojawfee posted:

Games are actually pretty cheap now. The $60 I paid for N64 games is more like $90. PS1 games would have cost a bit more than 80 dollars today. People won't accept games costing more than 60 dollars, which means games are 10 dollars cheaper than they were in 2008.

Yeah but on the N64 $60 got you the whole game, now $60 gets you the base game without any DLC/season pass poo poo. So you basically are paying more if you'd like the whole experience.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ExcessBLarg! posted:

No, the Tegra X1 didn't have known boot ROM vulnerabilities at the time of the Switch launch. It was the interest and popularity of the system that resulted in hardware hackers taking a look at the Tegra X1 platform and discovering it suffered from a known-class of vulnerabilities (incorrect handling of USB commands).

Nintendo, maybe, should've recruited some white-hat hardware hackers to bash on prototype Switch hardware prior to its release though. I'm sure they have an internal team that does this work, but they're probably just not the same level of talent.

Ahh, interesting, I thought it was known prior. Didn't Nintendo have bounties on some bug and cracking website for such a thing on the 3DS? I wonder why they didn't extend that to the Switch. Though maybe they did, I didn't keep up with that.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

univbee posted:

Good for you but games designed for D-Pads aren't always ideal with analog sticks, and the shoulder buttons aren't great if you need a lot of access to them like in a 6-button fighting game.

They have kits that replace the D-Buttons with a proper D-Pad on the left Joycon so you'd be good for really anything.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

MohShuvuu posted:

Got a link to one? Also does one exist for the pro controller as well? The tape fix is still bad.

Here's one in Translucent Purple. I'm not sure what colors they make or if they have anything for Pro Controllers.

I haven't messed around with the d-pad ones, but I do have their whole white set on my Switch and it looks great. However, taking the Joycons apart and reassembling the Joycons is a massive pain in the rear end so if you don't like tinkering with small electronics and parts it might not be worth the frustration.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Nonviolent J posted:

I know the wii could emulate windows and the Wii U could on vWii (even overclocked it was still slow) but things are progressing pretty fast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7WwE3VULeI

Man this owns, I can't wait to see what people will do with the Switch.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

If I'm reading this right it seems like the Homebrew Launcher is already running, but the CFW will be running 1 to 2 weeks.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

SeANMcBAY posted:

As long as they don’t ruin my Splatoon

How can you ruin something that already sucks? :smug:

I hope console bans are a thing for online cheating, I'd hate for them to be handed out if Nintendo has a way to detect that you're running homebrew or just have a modded console.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

MohShuvuu posted:

Would homebrew ever be able to allow for mouse and keyboard controls in Splatoon 2? :ninja:

You can already do that, it was done with DOOM months ago with just an adapter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjjbWJ_VHFs&t=172s

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Takoluka posted:

A person is using a weapon with impossible fire rate and (possibly) damage output, meaning he is actively cheating in-game. Sorry, I mean, he is "using Homebrew."

Hell yeah.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Takoluka posted:

what the heck is a "game backup"

if you have the game, why do you need to play the "backup" version of it

Probably the dump cartridge games and not have to carry them around if you're not being obtuse and want a legitimate reason.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Rufio posted:

I am modding my Switch for the sole purpose of stealing games

:yeah:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

They need to hurry up with EmuNANDs because Smash is coming out at the end of the year and I'm updating for that day one regardless if my Switch is hacked or not. I need Smash just as much as I need my Switch running ROMs.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

African AIDS cum posted:

I tried Mario Sunshine on Dolphin recently and it was pretty janky and had weird lag and bugs

Are you running an older rig or older version of Dolphin because Sunshine is almost perfect at this point.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

African AIDS cum posted:

It might be playable but I have it for gamecube to compare to and it has a lot of annoying little issues. I'd prefer to play on an emu just to utilize save states to save time retrying hard sections but it isn't quite there yet IMO

Interesting, I guess if you have the original hardware to compare it to that stuff would be really glaring. I haven't touched the original version of Sunshine in over 10 years so I'm probably not the best judge.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

KKKLIP ART posted:

So apparently Nintendo just updated it to a full CDN ban, so no redownloading purchased games, no updates, no DLC, no anything.

Wouldn't that be illegal to not allow people to download things they actually paid for?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Interesting, I don't know the legalities of anything but I guess if it's just a console ban then there's not much of a case or whatever.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Takoluka posted:

why the hell aren't you sharing pro Mario Kart vids and hilarious screencaps

wtf

Because no one cares.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

It's been a while since I've used my 2DS, but since FreeShop is dead now, what's the go-to?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Lord, it's like we've slipped back into late 90s. RIP.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

lol

I've had someone upload a whole film to Google Drive and post a link in a thread before when I asked where to purchase a copy digitally; no one cares.

Thanks to everyone else, I'll give those sites a go if need be!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

You got it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bulgakov posted:

assuming that picture is some sort of anime shovelware then yes, it’s a vita

You're right on both fronts.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

When's someone putting windows on this thing?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

kirbysuperstar posted:

Oh they're working on it. W10 ARM gets to the installer so far.

Is that a watered down version of Windows 10? Or can it run whatever. Can't wait to get Steam on the Switch and run simple poo poo. If it'll even do that, lol.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I'm gonna hack my 3DS but first I wanna swap to a bigger microSD. Is it as simple as moving everything from one SD to another in Windows?

Yes. Just make sure the larger SD card isn't formatted to exFAT.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I bought a used game that I want to play via Dolphin, what's the best way to rip Wii games? I remember I used to do it with a Wii but it took a while and I don't have a Wii on me to do so, though I have some friends that might.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I've never used the site for such but I doubt there's a dump of Coraline; I guess I'm asking people if they still have their Wiis.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ExcessBLarg! posted:

If you have access to a modded Wii running the Homebrew Channel, then you can use CleanRip. I think you can rip straight to an SDHC card, but I've only use a "real" 2 GB SD (not SDHC) card and a larger USB flash drive plugged in the back. The actual ripping process is straight-forward and doesn't take unusually long. Maybe 10-15 minutes a disc?

If the Wii isn't already modded it's pretty straightforward to mod but might be time consuming. Honestly I'd consider picking up used Wii for $20 since it's a good system to have lying around, if only for this purpose.

You'd be surprised. Scene pirates dumped everything they could get their hands on back in the day (volume was important) and even now preservationists are serious about dumping everything they can. If it's a retail release, it's been dumped. If it's a prototype or beta or some weird thing, it might still be dumped.

I'm gonna hang with a friend today who still has his Wii that I modded some years ago, should be easy enough to get it to dump the game. I guess I'll just go for archive download if I run into any issues.

Bogart posted:

Is Coraline for the Wii any good

I have no idea, but my friend loves the film so I bought it to play together in HD on Dolphin.

poo poo cost me $20. :suicide:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Saoshyant posted:

Man, I was curious, but the actual reviews of the game describe it as awful, so goddamn awful. I hope you like kusoge.

I won't be the one playing it, so if it's bad that's fine. I'm just going along for the ride.

Dolphin's netplay is apparently flawless and someone in the Smash thread said that playing Smash on Dolphin is more responsive than Nintendo's online for Smash Ultimate.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

mrEkli posted:

Picked up my wife an OG 2DS and modded it. Are there any hacks to fake Amiibos on it? We can't track down a real IR reader for them anymore but she'd like to use them in Animal Crossing.

Not quite a hack, but I have this that I use to spoof amiibos: https://www.amazon.com/PowerSaves-POWERTAGS-Characters-Nintendo-Wii-U/dp/B06XVL11SF

I haven't used it in a bit, but I remember it was a little finicky to set up but worked an I managed to save scum the hell out of all of the cosmetics in BOTW.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

No, that’s like it’s core defining feature.

It's not that bad on PC considering it's features and options you can tweak.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

asecondduck posted:

though the touch response is definitely too high

Does it actually register if you're not even touching the screen and hovering over it? How the gently caress?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

SeANMcBAY posted:

I like what Nintendo is doing with old games on Switch, in theory. They just need to add way more games and more platforms. I prefer getting them as a subscription thing over paying 5-8 dollars for each one.

Both options would be cool, I don't mind purchasing a film if it's not included with my Prime or Netflix subscriptions, but I hate when I'm looking for a specific film or series and there's literally no way I can watch it without bootlegging it. And I'm not dredging up old rear end physical media that I don't collect.

Same poo poo goes for games, I'd love to have an official way to go back to some old school games without bootlegging or pulling out a 20 year old console and sourcing a lovely CRT TV in order to enjoy them.

Thank god for emulation.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Chronojam posted:

Joe Consumer doesn't want to fiddle around with ROMs and BIOS and controller configurations and emulation cores and sound buffering and video wrappers or filtering etc etc.

Joe Consumer is just going to by a Raspberry Pi with six billion ROMs loaded onto it or have someone do it for them.

acksplode posted:

If I were able to easily buy an old game for a buck or two and know that I won't lose it when my hardware becomes obsolete, I'd have no reason to mess with ROMs.

Fuckin' exactly, I have so many purchases across the Wii/Wii U/3DS that are all lost to time unless I bother using those consoles just for those games. The thing I love about Steam is my collection doesn't become obsolete with hardware save for specific instances, and even then you can mod easily enough on PC that fans will fix poo poo that devs won't.

I'm usually against new software launchers since I love everything unified, but god drat if I wouldn't go apeshit for a Nintendo branded PC storefront that sells PC titles and first party ports. But nope, gotta keep illegally downloading things because there's no way I can play Yoshi's Island outside of the SNES (and I think Wii or Wii U?).

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

RandomFerret posted:

Yoshi's Island is just about the worst example you could have picked. I personally own that game on four different platforms (snes cart, gba, wii vc and snes mini)

And only the SNES version is worth playing, the GBA bonus levels are fun but they ruined the game otherwise.

RandomFerret posted:

The real pisser is stuff that's so lost in red tape nobody could rerelease it even if they wanted to. You want to buy eternal darkness, you're going to need to spend some serious cash on eBay and hope the disc isn't too scratched up

This too, it sucks that games can literally be lost to time because consoles eventually die and so to discs and cartridges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

My friend is selling off his PS4 Pro and I'm considering buying it and modding it for the 60FPS patch for Bloodborne and the randomizer; what firmware does it have to be in order to do so? And is it a pain in the rear end to get it modded?