Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Me Lancing a Barroth in 3U and also Lancing a Barroth all this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

Hi there Monster Hunter thread, I'm going to be playing the beta. I've never played a MonHun in my life, so I hope I have fun with it!

I think you're going to be happy. I think we're ALL going to be happy.

big nipples big life posted:

What time does the beta open?

Noon EST Saturday.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm snowed in the house all weekend with nothing but Monster Hunter, a bottle of bourbon ... and a 5 year old and a 3 year old.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bombadilillo posted:

My stupid wife has her stupid birthday so I planned a stupid day trip this stupid weekend and I'll have stupid sex instead of playing this not stupid demo.

Let her know what an inconvenience she's being and maybe she'll do some special sex stuff for you as thanks.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tei posted:

Tried the range weapons but don't seems to do much damage, maybe?

Did you catch the tooltip about changing ammo?

Can you actually remove Jagras tail? I blasted it with carving ammo the whole fight and I think I got a pop-up about breaking a part, but his actual tail didn't pop off before he died.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Nobody talks much about the lance, but it was the first weapon that really clicked with me.

It's a lot like being a defensive boxer, just grappling and working the body until they keel over.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

"They named their Palico Miqo'te, what a dork," says the guy who named his Palico after his actual cat.

I always let my kids design/name these kinds of things.

Me: Girls, what should we name this cat?
5 year old: Name him Pussycat.
3 year old: Pussy!
In unison jumping up and down: NAME HIM PUSSY! PUSSY! PUSSY! PUSSY!
Me: We're naming her Sophia. Go ask mom for a snack.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

I still haven't tried Lance yet, because I always figure why not put a gun on it

But the couple new moves look pretty hype and nailing counters always makes me feel like a certified badass, maybe I'll try it tonite

There is no weapon in the entire game that feels so much like taking this gigantic monster and absolutely bending it to your will.

Every direction he turns there you are poking. He squares up on you but you're already gone, sidestepped out of danger and still poking. Always poking. Right up to the point where he slams his teeth into your shield, and by the time his head stops ringing you're back under his belly jabbing away.

So he turns tail to run and you become a freight train.

It's not meant to be a flashy weapon, it's meant to be an utterly demoralizing one.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It sora goes like:

Hey I'm having trouble fighting this monster that uses a lot of poison damage ... and it turns out the quest monster right before him crafts an armor set that negates poison.

So you go kill that guy a half dozen times and craft your nul-poison set and go fight poison monster. And poison monster drops a rare crafting mat! That crafting mat is the key drop for a couple of weapon types that inflict poison status, but you're not really great with any of them.

But maybe you could be! So you decide since you got the rare mat you'll go make the poison dual blade set. But to do that you need to mine up some ore from the previous zone. So you go hit the previous zone to do some mining, and while you're here you might as well fight the bird guy, because that's a really fun fight anyway. Plus you might as well practice dual swords on him, so you craft the dual sword set that leads INTO your poison set and learn to fight the bird guy with your new weapon so you can craft the poison version after you mine up the ore.

Then you take your new poison dual swords plus your acquired dual swording ability and try to fight the next quest monster, who does a big fire breath attack ...

And so on.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It just occurred to me this is the first time I'll play a MH game that didn't already have an obsessively detailed wiki at US launch.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
How spoiled we'll all be with Health up on armor giving us health.

Back in my day Health +5 got you halfway to the 10 points you needed to get Health (S) which gave you 20 Health.

Or something, it's been a while.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I always preorder Amazon for the $12 off, but other than that I think you'll be able to walk in anywhere and grab it release day.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

occamsnailfile posted:

Also has anyone managed a capture yet? (the thread had like seven hundred posts, I skimmed)

There was a vid posted a few days back of someone crafting tranq bombs and trapping successfully, so it appears to work the same way as previous games.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kiggles posted:

It's still true, they just have a big static charge shot dragon piercer, which turns out to be their primary damage source - it's just rather high-risk high reward, so it may be more practical to use the new mobility features to stay in close, and only take the big shots on clear opportunities.

I think maybe bow is a little over reliant on the new dragon piercer, but it seems to be in a pretty good place, where you try staying close, dancing around with the new evasions/bumping up charge levels with the step dodging, and then punish with the piercer when a monster moves out of range.

It was a real eye-opener watching that video of the guy one-man bowing Diablos in the beta. After watching the "how the bow works" video and messing around in the training you assume the basic loop is "charge a shot, hit O for the bonus shot, roll into your next shot, hit O, run around waiting on stamina and repeat, dragon pierce when out of range or as a big finisher."

It's actually "roll into every shot, including your first, and dragon pierce every 10 seconds."

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
After focusing on old favorites last time, I'm going to make a point of killing Barroth with every weapon this round.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I've never played a monster hunter game but World looks interesting. Is it probably going to be easy enough to pick up or should I try some of the earlier ones first? I like dragon's dogma if that's related at all...

You will never find a Monster Hunter game better suited to starting the series than this one.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Saint Freak posted:

If you get it on PS4 you can remote play it onto a vita and have the optimal MH experience of poo poo controls on a tiny screen.

I'm gonna charge my Vita for the first time since I got my Switch, and it's going to be ... serviceable at best!

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
New quest, too. Nergigante hunt.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Supposedly it's a harder version of the hunt as well. Only 15 minutes, and it sounds like it's the high rank or G rank version of it? Gaijin Hunters video said it was going to be a 'more difficult' version than the first one you fight in the retail game.

Maybe they want to encourage people into MP to test the lobby system so they put a quest in too tough to solo with the included gear.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I just meant, I imagine most folks played the first two betas solo only. I would have liked to do a 4-man against Diablos but it's tough to communicate that when the quest you queued for is a different monster.

So in this beta they put in a big challenge monster as its own quest to encourage people to queue as groups and go fight it. I'm sure it will be soloable, but it'll be easier to go group up against a big monster when you don't have to luck into a group willing to do it.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

CodfishCartographer posted:

I just want to give props to SnS. It's more than just an item weapon! It's super fun to constantly attack and roll around, and the new jump move loving rules and is super stylish.

I was shocked by how fun SnS was in the beta. It's definitely more interesting than just the "starter weapon" (and may not even be the best one of those in World).

Vaulting yourself straight up in the air and dive bombing the back of heads over and over makes you feel like a super hero.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Every MH game I tell myself "this is the one I main GS," and every time it's a lie. Still clicked it on the survey, though.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I don't want to have to buy and craft and manage ammo at all. I want my gun to start the hunt with all the ammo it's going to get, and automatically reload at the start of each mission.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ChrisBTY posted:

Ok, changing the subject a bit.

So there's a lot of hype about World obviously. What's the vibe? Does it look like it's going to be an amazing game, or does it look like it's going to be an amazing game for fans of the monster hunter series? Because i sort of bounced off of 3 hard a few years ago.

They have gone leaps and bounds toward making the game extra accessible, beautiful, and functional. Everyone in this thread is super super pumped for it.

But it's still very much MoHun, and it matters why you bounced off of Tri. There's still no hard lock, still item management, still %-based drops needed for crafting even low-level gear, still needing to cook your raw meat in the wild. The weapons you played in Tri are still here, and still mostly do the same things. What most of us consider HUGE weapon QoL changes, a person who didn't already spend 200 hours with a weapon would consider subtle or maybe not even notice (eg, the lance move out of the guard poke or the GS shoulder tackle).

This is still the game where crafting the fire switch axe means breaking Qurupeco's nose several times in a row for a 1/5 chance at his beak to drop.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

What part made you bounce off?

I wanted to get into the 3DS ones so I tried the demos for each one and it just never worked for me. But I've played the World demos/beta weekends and it really clicked this time. Controlling it with a real controller with easier camera control and the big, open environments really help me enjoy the game. Maybe I won't end up liking the core hunt monster -> craft new gear -> hunt bigger monster loop, but the core gameplay feels fantastic to me as someone who's never really gotten into it before.

I think you'll be fine, as the "craft gear to hunt bigger monsters" aspect is oversold a bit. I've always just crafted the gear that either a) falls off the monsters I like hunting or b) if i get one of the lucky rare drops I might hunt that monster a couple more times to make something out of it. I really enjoy fighting brute wyverns and usually end up with all those sets just for running the fights for fun.

One of the best armor sets starting off is typically just made of mining materials. The only real gearcheck in the game is sharpness on your weapon, and unless you're bouncing off the monster every single hit, losing to the timer is still not your gear's fault.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

jizzy sillage posted:

3U was my first MH and Qurupeco nearly made me bounce, but one day it clicked for me and it was smooth sailing after that.

I've never fought any monster in this game as hard as I fought Barroth the first time I played MH. Every fight after that has been easier because of the "git gud" he imposed on me.

I was so excited for him to be in the beta, it was like getting to murder an old friend over and over.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

I liked underwater too, but probably because I played Lance in Tri

Underwater in Tri was where I fell in forever-love with the lance. Upward poke was the only way I could hit anything under water.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

AttackBacon posted:

standard dragon fighting position

What does this mean?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
All are welcome on the hunt.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bad Parenting posted:

This was a cool hammer video from mhx

https://youtu.be/TfAF_FLEVfA

My 3 year old and I watched this over breakfast, and now she's hitting a stuffed dinosaur with a plastic hammer and it's the best thing that has ever happened to me.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I've got 2-3 buddies who are jumping into the game as their first Monster Hunter, and I can't wait to help them get started.

They are all big BIG time Destiny 1 guys who spent a thousand hours learning mechanics and fights who just want to kill big stuff and grind their asses off on something deep with enjoyable repetition. I think this game might draw a lot of the types of players in.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

boz posted:

"Believe in me who believes in you!"

Then you bust out.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm excited to fiddle with the radial menu on live where the settings will save longer than a weekend. I didn't even bother with it, but I suspect once you get it set up it'll be a game-changer.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I always liked the idea that the companions are the actual Monster Hunters, using and manipulating us like tools.

Doesn't hold up in multiplayer, but multiplayer is outside of canon in enough games I can buy it.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I've been watching those Nerg speed run videos from Reddit, and it's really something else to watch people play some extremely over-the-top Monster Hunter.

And while you obviously can't draw too many conclusions about relative weapon power from the setups against a non-typical monster, it's neat to see how people have worked over the movelists already. The Lance in that fight is all about power guard countering and guard hopping over standard poke-dodging (as far as I can tell). The SnS guy pretty much only does the backstep-leap for damage, nearly every move he makes just sets him up to vault over and over and over.

The HBG fight looks like a scripted event in any other game, just nonstop explosions. The Hammer guy almost never does the standard charge-stop-attack, but I think is doing one of the moves that leads out of moving while releasing then following up with triangle?

Link again

https://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/7s3fk3/mhw_beta_fastest_nergigante_solo_speedruns/

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Can't wait to find out the Rocksteady Mantle is crafted from like, 5 Azure Rathalos Rubies.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tellaris posted:

Going back a couple pages, but what you are seeing there is the "brutal" version of the level 3 charge slam. Like I mentioned earlier if you use the hammer self-buff it changes your moves. It adds a flourish to the charge slam that makes you spin before you hit, and also adds a little hop to the level 2 charge uppercut.

From what I saw of the hammer speed run, it looks like the only thing that changed from the old 3 hit golf swing into charge level 1 into 3 hit golf swing is he would throw in a big bang at times. Maybe big bang gives more KO?

Thanks for straightening this up!

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If you're worried about downgrading to play with friends, your weapon will have a greater impact on that than armor, unless you want to just eat more damage in solidarity.

If you're worried about sets being too focused, like if evade lancing becomes a big deal and people stack huge amounts of evade+ on a gear set just to lance in, that's the kind of thing that only really becomes a big deal in end-game. I don't recall, but is there even a way to throw away old gear? I guess you can sell it for box space but I always just kept everything no matter what.

E: You can lose gear by using it in upgrades, in older games there were always two classes of weapons (metal and bone) and the crafting paths branch out from there often using a weapon from the previous tier to save on some crafting materials, but you're going to end up with so many LR weapons of all types floating around your box there should always be something to grab that won't totally overwhelm your friends in a party.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bombadilillo posted:

I mean. You don't have to break thresholds anymore on equipment skills so it's easier to make whatever build you want.

This is easily my favorite QoL change in the entire game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That's one of those systems it's not too hard to look back on and say, "yeah to hell with that."

I'm trying to rope a group of friends in, and I can't imagine trying to talk them up one, "You need to hit HP+ 10 before you earn HP+ 1, which gives you 20 extra HP."