Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

christmas boots posted:

I think I'm kind of on Epic's side here.

Don't get me wrong, they're every bit as lovely as Apple (well, Apple might be worse wrt sweatshop labor) but I think the outcome of Epic winning and dealing a blow to Apple's 30% take has to the potential to be better for smaller developers and consumers than Apple winning and strengthening that. I know that's not why Epic is doing this, but I think maybe they're the lesser evil in this fight.

Is there any possible way they could both lose?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

blatman posted:

your hands so you can hold the magnet you're using to trigger the open-the-door relay in the card reader

It's not always that simple! Sometimes the magnets need to spin.

Or you can shim the lovely latch they attached the lock to I guess.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

redleader posted:

back in the day, they attached nukes to everything they could get their hands on

the torpedo nuke was designed to take out entire carrier battle groups and/or harbours in one shot

Waaay back in the day, they knew that missiles were the future of air-to-air combat but they couldn't get this 'guidance' thing to work reliably. So they said "gently caress it", stripped out the unreliable guidance systems, and just put a loving nuke in the tip. You shoot it sort of vaguely nearish your target and let the blastwave do the rest.

The Lone Badger has issued a correction as of 04:02 on Aug 18, 2020

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

To me the evidence seems to indicate that we are already being tortured, right now.

Edit: can you explain the last four years without invoking some malevolent deity?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

https://twitter.com/doctorcube/status/1300953606221422594

i've got some replies with video clips of me experimenting with it. it's pretty stunning

it looks like it is now possible, with the right antenna and receiver setup close enough to an iphone, that you can listen to _both_ sides of a phone conversation - on or off speakerphone.

why yes sir here's your private meeting room with some niiiice high back chairs

I don't get it. If you're playing something on the speaker can't people listen in by just... listening?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The Nastier Nate posted:

Yes that’s true but neither of those things have anything to do with what the magic mirror says.

A non-traditional checkout makes more sense

It is entirely trivial to change what price an item scans at. But you need to change the advertised price just as quickly and fluidly, because if the scanned price is higher than the displayed price (on the shelf) you are in legal hot water.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

I don't know how true it is, but I've been told that brands frequently pay grocery stores for prime shelf placement. That would strongly incentivize them to want to stock the brands paying them the most, I would think.

This is absolutely true. You have to fight and pay for your facings.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

This is only an intermediary step. The next one is individual personalised prices based on the information Facebook just sold us on you.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

social media credit

Kinda. Like, if our algorithm tags you as an 'influencer' with lots of connections then obviously we want to get our branded product in your hands so we gotta undercut the competition. But if it says that you just come off a ten-hour shift then you're probably feeling pretty desperate for a drink and will pay a bit of a markup...

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

RandolphCarter posted:

Looking forward to paying a subscription fee to eat solid food.

You pay nothing. However it will only unlock if you present a food packet with a current and unrevoked QR ID. (Participating brands only)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

withak posted:

I want a medic alert bracer.

That's a vambrace.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The partially-abandoned ruin of the Line will be the setting of a major part of 2032's Call Of Duty episode.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

GWBBQ posted:

It's a camera on a selfie stick pointed at an LCD screen.

It can't be that stupid. You must be explaining it wrong.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

endlessmonotony posted:

Goons will just leave you to die of the nanoplague if you don't have Cor Pro.

Anyone who doesn't bring cor pro isn't a real goon.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

ok i'm at the server rack which part of the box do i apply the horse paste to to fix it

Go with 'all of them'. Better safe than sorry.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I am skeptical.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

In the Canadian Artillery, there's a tradition to drink Gunner's Punch, which has either black powder or propellant in it. It's not a big deal, just tradition and a rite of passage.

Wasn't there a french gunner who got heavy metal poisoning after drinking wine from an artillery piece?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

pygmy tyrant posted:

yeah, I’m pretty sure it was how acute tungsten poisoning was discovered

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The new name will be an NFT. Only one person is allowed to know the name at a time.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Screaming Idiot posted:

Nah, that's just good advice.

If you are white and there is a black person nearby then by the time the cops get to you their bloodlust may gave been sated enough to allow for a brief window in which you can safely interact.
(Safe from immediate physical harm that is. They're still going to try to ruin your life.)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Since I just posted this in the trump thread why not here too

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AeroVironment_Switchblade

It's... a missile?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

tokin opposition posted:

That's a buttplug idiot

Everything is a buttplug if you're brave enough.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

CodfishCartographer posted:

I love how everyone is universally making fun of Facebook's new name (Meta, sadly it isn't "Meat") - I haven't seen a single person online say anything good about it. Everyone thinks the name is dumb, and everyone thinks the logo looks awful. But an executive likes it so that's how it is.

I am nonetheless wholly committed to calling the company Meat for the next few months.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

no it's The Metaverse

Meatverse.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Meatbook sounds like a pretty good name for a hookup app actually.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

FFT posted:

nah, but you can make a directed microwave gun (relatively) easily

give the killbots havana syndrome lmao

HERF can be defeated by a metal casing or by hardening the electronics.

I do recall a story of a russian plane whose flight electronics shut down when it got target-locked by one of the biiiig american naval radars, but the next generation of planes didn't do that and we're obsoleting the generation after that atm.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The Skeleton King posted:

A solid future business model will just be making analog electronics. There's no way people like this bullshit.

Just give me the same toaster they made 80 years ago.

Good news! No one can get any chips anymore anyway.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

ymgve posted:

I think it was a MUD.

The story feels a bit fake though, especially the thing where they took screenshots and sent them to her.

In any case, any virtual world absolutely needs a way to instablock any user, and it’s insane if Facebook haven’t implemented that yet

It happened in Second Life, but it probably also happened lots of other places.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ruffian Price posted:

In Russia, nothing is just game.

If you die in Russia you die in real life.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

Imagine posting at one character per minute

Eh, just give him some Sapho juice.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

withak posted:

I assume these monowheel things work the same way, where it can stop the wheel from turning almost instantly if necessary but can do nothing to stop the delicate sack of meat on top from continuing to fly forward.

If I've got my physics correct your feet will also stop in place, meaning you pivot and power-drive your face into the pavement with the force of leverage.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

other people posted:

lol i just tried to find something on twitter and after scrolling a bit a popup covers the screen and won't let you proceed without logging in :rolleyes:

instagram does the same poo poo already.

Press 'login' then close the login window and it'll go away for a bit.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

And have the system entirely run and staffed by men.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Nu.... number go down?!?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

christmas boots posted:

SO I'm a still a little unclear. It's one slurp juice per ape right?

Someone used three on an ape and, well, look what happened.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Put all the bottlecaps into your safe and record an audiolog.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Platystemon posted:

It’s ultrasound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1rozZ7ebxQ

Similar things can be done with cameras and infrared light.

Would a notch filter in software take care of it? Or is the hardware overwhelmed?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

oh yeah i remember that, iirc it was something really stupid like their internal logins used their employees' facebook accounts because zuckerberg is an idiot so the facebook authentication servers meant their internal stuff was hosed

They couldn't even open the doors without the facebook servers.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

more falafel please posted:

including the doors to the server rooms where they could override the auth for the doors.

Fortunately reality has an unpatched priviliege-escalation security flaw that allows manipulation of restricted objects by creating a physics interaction with an owned object.

The Lone Badger has issued a correction as of 05:27 on May 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

dr_rat posted:

So were just going to not program the drones to wait outside and piss themselves with fear?

Lame.

Nah they'll storm inside and shoot all the black kids. Only now it can be blamed on The Algorithm.