Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

what's the category for who can install the mod the fastest?

New category: Time starts when you press A on the start menu of the bare game. Then you leave the game, download DLC that contains a big time save (meanwhile the clock keeps ticking), install the DLC, restart, play the game using the DLC time save, and time ends when you beat the final boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Is everyone ready?

https://esamarathon.com/

quote:

ESA invites you to return to Växjö, Sweden for our first winter event with a ‘second stream’ / old ESA feel.

ESA Winter 2018: February 17th through 25th
However, the actual marathon schedule doesn't start till on Tuesday. https://esamarathon.com/schedule

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I honestly didn't watch most of ESA Winter but I've been watching some runs this final day. Pokemon Crystal was kinda cool, but they were planning some new RNG manipulation strat where they consisently can get Entei, and when it didn't work after a couple tries they switched to another cart with a save that already had Entei in it. Weird poo poo, I've never seen that in a Marathon before.

Now Mario Odyssey is up as the last run of the marathon, that might be fun.

I do wonder why the European marathon still list its donations in US dollars, though.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

KennyMan666 posted:

Getting to be the one who closed off ESA Winter, read the final donations, announce the raid target and say the final goodbye to the viewers was no joke one of the biggest honours I've ever had. I hadn't even planned on being around for the final runs, even - originally I intended to not be in the room for Odyssey, just swing by for the finale, but then the donation computer ws empty partway through Crystal, I took up the headset, and then I just stuck with it until the end, through the bonus game, even though I had been quite hungry and needed to go pee since partway through Odyssey. Had to take a bit of a walk to find an actual night-open pizza place afterwards, the one right next to the hotel closed already at 21:00.

No regrets whatsoever. ESA this summer is going to be off the loving chain and I'm pretty seriously considering skipping the convention that overlaps with it and which I left last ESA early for, because this marathon was an absolute blast. Easily up there in the at least top three best speedrunning marathons I have ever attended, if not the best. And the summer one is already shaping up to be even better, and I got plans for submissions already.

Oh so you were the guy to which the runner said "GODDAMMIT I SAID SERIOUS TIME".

Is there a pastebin about that yet?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The weirdest thing I learned from this TAS is that Ooccoo is called 'aunt' in the German version.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

TASBOT RETURNS

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/kehzou/status/995764939221385217

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Did that finesparks gang tag come from the gdq thread?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I don't know how, but ESA has a Geoguessr speedrun in the schedule.

E: Hmm, they have an Awful Games block too this summer.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Zamujasa posted:

I never really understood speedrun tournaments either. There's no actual competition between the people involved. You could get the same result by having everyone record 5 runs and randomly choosing which one to play back for each match. :shrug:

It gets even sillier when it's a game that has dumb RNG elements. Whoops, looks like runner #2 got all three hands in World 8, that's a two minute penalty they had no impact on :rolldice:

On the other hand, it is rather stupid that the 'professional eSports scene' seems to purposefully exclude speedrunning, the only 'eSport' worth watching.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Hobojim posted:

Hello, I’m Hobojim. I’m here today to talk to you about a classic NES game from my (and possibly your!) childhood, and why you should consider speedrunning it.

Startropics. Good old Startropics.

I, like possibly many of you if you’re from North America, played this game a lot when I was a kid. The game was reasonably popular here; I’m unsure of how it did in Europe. I know it had a much later release there, and was never released in Japan at all despite being developed by Japanese developers. For me memories of this game were fond and vivid, memories of exploration, of mysteries, of ghosts and snails, and of pain.

Pain and despair.

The game was notorious for unfair traps that killed the player instantly, of secret passageways that led to nothing but hatred, and of high damage in a game where the good weapons required a certain level of health to use. This game is all of these things for a casual player. But I’m not here to convince you to be a casual player. I’m here to convince you to be a speedrunner.

Herein I shall record a list of reasons you should speedrun Startropics.
  • Sick of games with lots of text requiring Japanese versions to make them go faster? Good news! There IS no Japanese version! All speedrunning is done on the English version!
  • Grid-based movement in four directions! Because diagonals are for chumps and who needs fluidity when you can drive a human tank!

• Tired of trying to learn frame-perfect tricks? You’re in luck! Everything you do can be frame-perfect with little-to-no effort on your part, because you can buffer absolutely everything during a previous action!
    • By this I mean if you hit attack, release and then hold the button again, you’ll attack twice with the second attack being on the first frame possible. No longer how far away that is. This is integral to Startropics as a speedgame, and you can do this with ANY INPUT. Hold up and jump when you enter a room to jump forwards on the first frame. Hold A during a long text box to move past it on the first possible instance, and then release and hold it again to do the same for every text box in the game. Hold A then left and B, then B again to jump, turn left in mid-air and attack twice with frame-perfect timing while jumping. You get the idea. Watch the inputs in the gifs below for an illustration of what I mean.

• Learn all of the puzzles you couldn’t do as a child and kick your past’s rear end by clearing bosses at record speeds! Alternatively if you don’t hate yourself, get revenge for all of those assholes that killed young-you and traumatized you for the next years/days/hours!

• Only one real glitch is known for the game, and it’s on the last boss, and your time will be the same regardless of whether or not you get lucky and get it because of the way we time the game! No need to learn weird crazy glitches, or alternatively, tons of possibilities to explore to find weird crazy glitches!
  • Experience a Bible story but with ROB-64 in a submarine instead of dumbshit singing vegetables!

• Tons of references to early nineties America! Learn to love baseball, yo-yos and cola all over again!
  • It’s an NES game with zero lag! As such, the community is generally okay with people using emulators!
  • Hit things with three different types of yo-yo, or alternatively three different types of “island stars” if you’re playing on the Wii VC (Thanks, Canada!)
  • A fun assortment of weapons that you will use with varying frequency over the course of a run, from baseball bat (once) to torches to karate… cleats? Whatever those are supposed to be!

• Drugs that make you red!

• Don’t dip your drat collectible letter in water for your two and a half viewers on a twitch live stream you god-damned savage!
  • Witness the most irritating low-life beep in video game history, made all the worse by having it repeat every time you do anything like jump or attack! Motivation to not get hit bitches!
  • There are only thirty times on the leaderboards and my second run would have been good enough for 28th!
  • Finally, the game looks and sounds fantastic with a great soundtrack (including a midi version of God Save the Queen or My Country ‘Tis of Thee (I think? I don’t know all of the weird patriotic ‘Murica songs sorry)) and the world record is only just over an hour long, so you can practice a ton!
The game is legitimately a lot of fun to play as a speedgame, due in no small part to the fact that you can buffer absolutely everything. There is SOME RNG in the game but it isn’t that prevalent; the bad thing is that it’s at its worst right at the end of a run, so expect a lot of runs to die late if you do start picking this game up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFygvb22I5U
This is the aptly-named Bottleneck, right at the start of Chapter 7 (out of 8). My gold split for this segment is a minute and thirty three seconds; my average split is close to eight minutes. You will die here a lot. Deaths in Startropics don’t cost you a ton of time, but if you’re chasing that PB it’s obviously a setback. There are tools to make this section go very smoothly but they’re out of the way. This is the single segment that makes this speedrun troublesome, but the game is fun enough to play fast that it isn’t THAT hard to put up with.

Tips for new players:
  • Practice chapters 3 and 6. A lot. They’re the longest and require a lot of health management to do well, so know where you can afford to take a hit and have contingency plans if you do. You can do this through savestates on emulator or review mode if you’ve beaten the chapter already from the main menu.
  • Get a strategy for The Bottleneck. It probably won’t be a consistent one, but see what some of the top players do and ask yourself why, then adjust to your tastes. You’ll want a reasonably consistent way to get past the first few hurdles of it without getting hit, and then wing it for the last section, because randomness is gonna random sometimes no matter what you do.
  • Learn who you do and don’t have to talk to in order to progress in towns. There are a sometimes surprising number of NPCs you can skip over.
  • Understand how the input buffering works in dungeons as well as text sections. Some text boxes will ask if you “understand” or “want to read it again” and you have to learn when those will pop up; thankfully if you hold right and A instead of just A for those text boxes the game reads the direction first and you’ll select the correct option. Buffering!
  • Learn to save 4 frames by doing this unbufferable tightly-timed trick, the only one in the game, that only loses a half-second every time you screw up! Or don’t, whatever, it’s really not worth it.

That’s a lot of words written about Startropics. Feel free to post your experiences with the game and how it was so hard it ruined your childhood and killed your dog or whatever!

A good post. There should be more like it.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Dr. Stab posted:

I have never found a dpad that's better than a keyboard. Turning is faster, and it's just easier to use mutiple fingers on mutiple buttons than it is to have one finger slide around between them.

Gonna guess you never touched a Nintendo controller and only used rip-off dpads from other manufacturers.

Remember, Nintendo had a patent on the only good dpad design for years so competitors who wanted something like it had to make a crappy copy using a bad design.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I think they're now one frame rule + a couple loose frames in the final level behind the TAS. Not entirely sure on that though.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

http://www.leparisien.fr/societe/ouverture-a-lyon-du-premier-campus-dedie-au-jeu-video-02-10-2018-7908846.php

Sorry, I couldn't find any English source. I have some more info that I just heard on the radio.

In short, France is opening their first Video Gaming campus hosting a Game Academy. Students there can learn how to become a professional gamer. The professional gaming sector generates more than 4 billion eur per year in France alone, and professional gamers often have a whole team surrounding them - people looking for advertisement opportunities, marketeers, etc. So being a professional gamer is kinda like running a business and the founder of this academy think it's useful to run a formal education in this. Teachers will include experienced e-sporters.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

fishmech posted:

Let's just revert all speedrunning to comparing times posted on everyone's personal site like this

Can I use your time travel computer please?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

KennyMan666 posted:

Infothread's coming tonight (my time).

So I was hoping we'd be posting the threads close to each other, and I tend to wait until like 24 hours before the marathon starts because in my experience the period of time between posting the thread and the marathon starting isn't one where a lot of good posting happens. I'll still be posting the thread as I've planned, but I'll be honest, sometimes I wonder why I put in the effort since nobody really seems to care about the informative marathon threads anymore. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely get the appeal of liveposting, I write a lot in the GDQ IRC during the marathons and chatting about it with others definitely improves it and is an important part of The Marathon Viewing Experience™, but just stuff like ^ calling the chat thread "the good one" implies that my upcoming "serious"/effort/informative thread would be "the bad" GDQ thread.

No, I'm not mad at anyone and I don't mean for there to be any animosity, I just increasingly get the feeling that the effort I put into my marathon threads isn't appreciated at all.

I don't have the time to follow the chat thread, and during the periods when I do I think the speedrunning goons Discord is a *much much* better medium for a fast-paced chat like that.

I do appreciate your thread because it's useful to find recommendations and such.

I don't resent people who choose the forums chat thread over the Discord, but I do resent folks who make people like you, who put in actual effort, feel bad by fighting over which thread is better and calling one "the good thread" or whatever. It's not funny, it's never been, and those people can kindly gently caress off.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Booourns posted:

I really miss the old thread setup where people were talking about the runs as they happened and you could actually read it instead of having one dead thread and one twitch chat but on the forums thread

The recommendation thread was first started as an answer to the chat thread when the chat thread became "twitch chat but on the forums". I wouldn't mind if we decide to use it for on-topic commentary during the runs.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Speaking of,

https://twitter.com/Vulajin/status/1089029535994015744
https://twitter.com/Vulajin/status/1089029537176858624
https://twitter.com/Vulajin/status/1089250273418084352

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

KennyMan666 posted:

So RPG Limit Break starts on Sunday, runs to the 11th, and literally the very next day Frame Fatales starts. I was considering making a thread for Frame Fatales, but maybe it'd make sense here to make a thread that covers both of the May marathons? Not sure either is really big enough and has enough of an audience to actually warrant their own threads, RPGLB I probably wouldn't make a thread for at all, but with the two of them directly following one another like that, it might be a nice combo.

What's your PR for finishing two speedrun events simultaneously?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

gently caress yeah, a speedrun marathon i care about

No ~gaming culture~, no MAGA hats.

This is the best speedrunning event.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

drat. The Skyward Sword any% record was on 4h50. Then, by applying a glitch called "reverse bitmagic"*, gymnast86 did a very casual run earlier this week bringing it down to 4h17.

And he did another run yesterday, putting it on 3h53. It'll probably go down further after a few months of optimizing this run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CLhuBrtEiw

* BiT = back in time, meaning you can get control of Link while on the title screen. This could already be used in a couple ways such as "BiT warps" where your location in Title Screen Skyloft would be transferred to certain places in other maps. Reverse bitmagic is a way to set flags in BiT Skyloft that then get transferred to other maps. This includes stuff like unlocked doors.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Recite the mantra

Gif and avatar aren't in sync, 3/10.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Power up with Pride is next weekend: https://horaro.org/puwp19/schedule

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Well, at least we managed to get it over 10K.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Studio posted:

I'm speedrunning dicey dungeons and I think I like it

How's the RNG manip?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Studio posted:

Anyhow, let's talk about the real subject:
GDQ must accept Dicey Dungeons when they do new game submissions :colbert:

To be fair, RNG manip'd dicey dungeons would be a sight to see.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Studio posted:

Non-RNG is also fun because you're ridiculously underleveled and there's some scary rear end marshmellows and snowmen out there.

You're In The Club And This Guy Snowballs Your Girlfriend's rear end

What do you do?

Wait a sec, I actually unlocked this guy's character blurb the other day.

... That doesn't really improve the situation.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Mr E posted:

Oh no there's currently a huge right wing push against things like the dictionary specifically adding the singular they as a definition so I'm sure others are having major issues with people being shits. So no mistake on your part.

That's funny since singular they was in regular use in English at least since Shakespeare, so it doesn't need to be "added", it's already there.

By the way, there are languages, I believe Japanese is one of them, where pronouns change based on the gender of who SPEAKS them instead of the gender of who they apply to. For those it must be real difficult to learn English.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Right now the OoT ACE can only run like one arbitrary execution per save file though, their demo shows that's barely enough to change some inventory items.

I'm sure they'll break it wide open later on, but now it's a bit weak as far as ACEs go.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

SeXReX posted:

Majoras mask, not ready to be out-done as the dumbest n64 Zelda of 2019 comes in swinging with the mythical moon warp

https://twitter.com/exodus_122/status/1194347382227513345?s=19

Holy poo poo that emulator lag is terrible.

Anyway, it makes use of the same ACE glitch as was found in OoT, except this time they rewrite the code of an owl statue.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXaFARzFG3c

New pannenkoek content.

Edit: "Since this is a solo competition don't show any of your progress on video or streams until January 2021" lol

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

heeheex2 posted:

I started watching jkoper do geoguessr runs a few days ago, man they are surprisingly neat. It's a pretty loose "speedrun" because it's assisted by the chat, so it can be ruined by losers just googling stuff, but they're really fun to watch/be part of.

If you want to see geoguessr challenge runs of all kinds I can recommend Geowizard's youtube. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW5OrUZ4SeUYkUg1XqcjFYA

I mean I watch him for the weird travel challenges he does throughout Europe but geoguessr is what he started his channel with and still a fun part.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Inferior Third Season posted:

Have they been able to do more than mess around with the make file compiler flags? Have they dug down into the actual code and been able to make any sense of it?

I mean, I'm pretty sure most of pannenkoek's info in his videos are from digging around in the code.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

This IGN "Devs react to speedruns" series is quite fun to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLraFbwCoisJA6eO7VSWtUqLaIFBQq4PCv

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Pakled posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hs451PfFzQ

The battleship minigame in Wind Waker has been more-or-less solved using knowledge of how the RNG works and statistics. The video gets pretty technical but I found it really cool.

I'm glad they explained how the choice to allow this in RTA runs came to be. It's a weird edge case.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

mfcrocker posted:

I said it in Discord but gently caress ESA, gently caress GDQ, now Power up with Pride is my best speedfriend

PuwP has been my favorite for a while now.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

bike tory posted:

Jesus this run is insane now. Those Fboots are just amazing

I thought "press L to levitate" was a Gameshark code.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

DizzyBum posted:

Still looking forward to GDQ.

I... really should look for something to speedrun sometime and get some positive energy going. I don't like how the thread is just 90% talking about lovely people. Calling people out on their bad behavior is great but eventually it just gets tiring to wade through so much of it.

Props to Punchy and KZ_Frew for sticking to their guns. I definitely don't agree with Punchy on 100% of things but he's a cool honest dude and the world needs more cool honest dudes.

I won't watch racist/sexist/transphobic speedrunners - as far as I know, I mean I don't make a habit of digging through people's social media history, - yet I have no problem finding fun speedrunners to watch.

I really feel most of them are good and cool people, it's just there's no drama so there's nothing to discuss about them here.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BNgpoElJpE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

What, has it been bought by lowtax?