Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Rutibex posted:

They will do it by age, that way everyone boss is going to get vaccinated before they do. Then they can call everyone in to catch covid from them.

why do I have this sinking feeling the accelerated pace of vaccination is gonna slow somewhat once the "key demographic" has all gotten vaccinated

I don't buy the Ford government going balls to the wall to make sure 25-34 year olds in Toronto get the jab

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Post viral fatigue was a thing before COVID

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

mediaphage posted:

a local woman is standing as an ndp candidate in the next election. like six months ago she was part of a busybody nimby group that was trying to prevent high-density housing (and not even that crazy) from being built in downtown because it’s near a park

like are you loving kidding me

Isn't there a former CSIS guy running for the Ottawa NDP

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

^^^
this is my idea as well - I am optimistic but I kinda figure once the kids are back in schools things are gonna go to poo poo. May as well do things at the edge of the risk profile now before you wake up in the third March 2020 on October 15

infernal machines posted:

most people, yeah. a couple people in this thread were just chiding others for going outside or enjoying a patio, so ymmv.

i'm just thinking about professional computer touchers trying to tell someone who rides a packed Toronto city bus (where the union is allowing drivers to make informed choices about getting vaccinated) to work every day that they're being selfish ghouls endangering their lives and those of everyone around them for wanting to meet friends in a park or maybe even go to a patio

Isentropy has issued a correction as of 23:21 on Aug 21, 2021

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

i'd hate to misrepresent myself here. i am also a professional computer toucher and i only ride the bus a few days a week, not every day

i'm not happy about the maskless driver thing, but i can't actually be mad at atu 113 about it. if their membership on balance insist on being absolute fuckwits, it's their job to enable that within the bound s of the cba, no matter how pants on head stupid it is.

yeah I get you. I was more thinking about some of my own family members and like how much of a jackass I (professional computer toucher/controls engineer) would come off as for judging them for low risk choices.

and yup. I would have thought 113 would be better given how badly they got rocked in wave 1

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

leaving Rexdale due to "wokeness" == Albion Mall's Subway got replaced with a roti place

E: I'm only half joking, a lot of old stock Canadians hate that their "culture" isn't really relevant here anymore and don't know how to express it. Like "where are all the white candidates?"

Isentropy has issued a correction as of 13:19 on Aug 26, 2021

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Just saw a pretty notable Toronto-based entertainment guy (Director X) try to argue that it's the vaccine passports and mandates causing the drop in Liberal support, lol

https://twitter.com/iDirectorX/status/1432083204492730370?s=19

my man none of the people mad about that poo poo were ever gonna vote Liberal or anything but PPC/Conservative/not at all. The 6ixbuzz crowd isn't registered to vote for poo poo

and as I said in the COVID thread - don't worry, after seeing the Ontario school reopening "plan" none of this poo poo is gonna matter in a few weeks

ETA: Director X is not a "Toronto entertainment guy", he's one of the most famous music video directors of all time. And he's not a chud, but just not cynical enough about where the majority of the anti-mandate stuff is coming from.

Isentropy has issued a correction as of 20:19 on Aug 30, 2021

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

what is the Ontario plan? As useless as most of the US?

Still no word on when vaccines will be ready for the under 12s

It's about where I'd imagine NYS has ended up - masks required, mandatory reporting required, some trial programs for home tests for parents. The problem is that it seems even the places that tried to follow that in the US eventually fell after a week.

* The post above explains some of the details better. I think "blue state with blue legislature" is the best analogy for our situation in Ontario - not sure about RoC

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

decided to look up whose running in my riding, they don't even have any information about them on the actual NDP website. when the Toronto riding has been held by the Liberals with 70%+ since time immemorial....

(And lol no there is no Communist of any kind)

Isentropy has issued a correction as of 14:44 on Sep 2, 2021

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

who won the debate

everyone who watched the Jays game instead

Srs answer: Justin lost by losing his cool and doing the only cool thing of the night (telling Paul he wouldn't take lessons on caucus management from her). People who don't know that Annamie Paul Melnyk'd the Green Party just see him being mean towards a woman

Isentropy has issued a correction as of 05:22 on Sep 10, 2021

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Rutibex posted:

say what you will about marjorie taylor green, she fights for her constituents a lot better than AOC or bernie sanders

when your actual base is petty bourgeois car dealership owners and realtors, you're doing politics on easy mode

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Entropic posted:

If you mandate that restaurants have to close, you will get restaurant owners quite reasonably asking for things like rent relief or compensation for lost business. If you just "suggest" that people "consider" going out to eat "less" then you don't have to pay restaurants to close and you can blame individuals rather than government policy when cases spike.

And this path will take us straight to a future of only Applebee's Boston Pizza

For the people making these decisions though, the 100 a plate places will remain open.

Isentropy has issued a correction as of 01:45 on Dec 22, 2021

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

vyelkin posted:

I think Applebees is always the go-to for Covid restaurants because in the US they started running "the pandemic is over, welcome back to Applebees" ads in like May 2020

It's impossible to find using google or youtube but there was a very specific videowhere someone's death from COVID was aired on CNN, followed immediately by a "Welcome Back to Applebee's" ad - it was on CNN

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Taking a packed 511 streetcar to and from work where management has given up on any real mask mandate the entire holiday, but I'm going to just sit at home by myself on Christmas to stop the spread

I think having to take any of the "working class bus routes" in TO (e.g. Delano Banton's 45) would very quickly change the outlooks of a lot of people ITT. Just as packed as they were pre pandemic, no one cares about distancing

ETA: a lot of them have tried their hardest but these "you gotta go work your job but GO STRAIGHT HOME NO SOCIAL ACTIVITIES" lockdowns won't work and get less effective every time

Isentropy has issued a correction as of 18:05 on Dec 24, 2021

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Starks posted:

the decision to fire ttc workers over vaccinations looks even dumber now

do you think the unvaccinated TTC workers would be available right now

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Don't listen to posters here especially the COVID thread posters who seem to be almost wishing for Captain Tripps

Masks and distance are all you can do.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Durf posted:

Healthy young chud goes to RCMP, gets pumped with massive arsenal of many weapons, doesn’t feel good and changes – INFORMANT. Many such cases!

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Danaru posted:

https://twitter.com/CBCNS/status/1491496613751185412?t=n7-2Rq1_-dLoDBu3h6owDg&s=19

Lol this news comes a few days after they left most of the province in the freezing cold for up to three days. gently caress this poo poo

Salt, fog, or salty fog?

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

vyelkin posted:

I did an effortpost on this a long time ago but basically the French had better relations with indigenous people because their colonial position was much weaker than the English so they weren't usually able to operate from a position of superiority. In isolated incidents where they were in positions of power, and in colonies where they were more numerous, the French were just as violent and oppressive as the English were. So the general answer is: yes, but not as a result of their colonial project being in any way more intentionally humane

Yeah consider how they treated Algeria where their position was far far more secure and easier to reinforce

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Yeah the petty bourgeois are responding to having to raise wages by flooding the country with TFWs

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Noblesse Obliged posted:

it will be funny the indignity when our imported underclass doesn’t want to come anymore because they aren’t stupid and recognize they will never own anything or build any life here

It's kinda slowly happening - Indian people are realizing they're gonna be sleeping 30 to bungalow to make money for our own Priti Patels

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Cold on a Cob posted:

lol they just can't stop loving around, looking forward to the anger when they find out again

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/ottawa-protest-organizers-launch-new-fundraising-scheme-family-expense-support-1.5781746

Oh my God I can't wait for some jackass to donate 5000 two times in sequence and then be completely shocked when his bank cuts him off

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Hand Knit posted:

authorizing banks to freeze the accounts of people suspected of being involved with protests seems like the sort of thing that will be Real Real Bad when inevitably weaponized against anyone left of Bill Blair.

Capital and the state was never our friends, can I at least laugh at the dumbest people on the fascist right running into a brick wall for now

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

I put it in the wrong thread but boy if you ever want to piss off boomers especially in the GTA and Vancouver areas tell them the value of their houses when they bought them are now the down payments we need to get into the door

Or that the quality of what's on offer dropped through the floor. From single family dwellings to papier mâché condos where you hope your neighbors don't gently caress too loud

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Duck Rodgers posted:

The most important thing for an environmental party is a plan for an absolute reduction in energy and resource use.

Anprim gang anprim gang

But no really try to run on a platform of hand washing and drying clothes and see how far it takes you

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Duck Rodgers posted:

What about a platform of not throwing out the clothes after one use? Is that a bridge too far

See that's doable. But one look at the energy mix of Ontario and any "anti-nuclear" policy seems to be very dangerous and risky.

The fact we have such a high baseload of power in Ontario is why we can manage the heat waves without the energy price spiking like it does in the US or having rolling brownouts

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

mediaphage posted:

exactly and this is before, as i mentioned, we discuss a 100% electrification of home heating. obviously zoning can take care of that over time, but

it’s nice to think about canada reducing its power usage while simultaneously greening its generation but i’ve never seen anyone successfully even theorize how that can happen in the next thirty years

I'm on board. And with the way our houses are built - to hold in heat - we'll have to plan for increased AC usage in the future.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Futanari Damacy posted:

Let's say nuclear power heats all our homes and charges all of our cars. How does more available energy get us off the treadmill of buying and being sold garbage and basically throwing the Earth in a trashcan

:ducksiren: Anprim! Anprim! :hurr:

I guess I should have been more clear. I don't think it will be palatable to tell Canadians that they're gonna have to just deal with 40 C in the summer and -40C in the winter and que sera sera. Conspicuous consumption and disposable items can go, and planned obsolecense needs to die

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Okay. So let's assume plants are closed. What's to stop us from ending up like Germany? Because things like air conditioning (and in places like NS/NB heat load) consume a chunk of baseload energy and replacing them with pretty turbines won't cut it. For reference AC alone consumed 22 GW by itself

It seems like you'd decomission the plants then immediately have to like fire up gas plants or import from QC or NYS because rolling brown outs during the first heat wave...

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

to me, the funny thing with nuclear is that back in the 60s ontario, and other provinces to a lesser extent, decided that nuclear was a good way to meet at least part of their growing energy demand. and as a result a program to develop a reactor design that could be built with the limited heavy industry available in the country was setup. and it did design a working reactor, which was built quite a few times, and which has had, as far as i know, a pretty good safety and uptime record over the past 50 years. and which accounts for like a quarter of ontario's energy needs today

somehow today that's just an impossible feat. i mean yes the country's gdp is ostensibly 10 times larger than it was back in 1980, but it's simply impossible to marshal the resources needed to do something like that. a pipe dream at best

We have a SMR program but that's not anywhere on the scale of CANDU

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

vyelkin posted:

It's also particularly frustrating because we have proven in certain cases that we know how to build things safely. Look, for instance, at the flood control systems built to protect London and the Netherlands, which are overengineered to have failsafe after failsafe because if they were to ever fail it would be catastrophic. We know how to build things safely, it's just expensive, so anywhere that we don't allocate enough resources because we don't see it as a priority, or anywhere that we contract in the free market but don't have extensive oversight to prevent it from cutting corners, we end up with shoddy and potentially dangerous work.

This is my major problem to be honest. Without strong regulatory overseers and with regulatory capture normally safe heavy industry can become very dangerous.

Say remember how the NB government suddenly tried to shut down every single investigation into the mystery brain disease when people started hinting it might have to do with cyanobacteria created by fishing waste

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

the media has been treating Del Duca as the real opposition despite holding no official party status. The NDP hasn't really fought this in any way.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

This is a thread and forum of people who've probably been mostly WFH since Mar 2020 - yes including me

I wouldn't recommend it but hell getting in a vacation ASAP before "oh no who could have seen this lockdown coming outside is illegal again" wouldn't be the dumbest idea I've heard

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Bilirubin posted:

Nice, brunch!

Leave this poo poo in the computer toucher thread thanks

Like for fucks sake stop celebrating over not having to leave the house since 2020. I'm a controls engineer. I have had to.

E: language.

Isentropy has issued a correction as of 21:05 on Mar 30, 2022

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Awful app is acting weird so I can't find who it was. But sorry for the overreaction to that joke

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

I like walking into a weed store to buy weed as a part of an afternoon stroll to the liquor store, bakery, produce stand, deli, and fishmonger or butcher depending on what I want to make for dinner while sort of blitzed on edibles

Have you considered moving to the suburbs so you can get all that at a Walmart instead

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

little portugal in toronto. they're a three minute walk, past the butcher, and the produce market, and the other butcher.

O nosso Talho gang represent

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

construction unions are, unfortunately, full of chuds and were some of the loudest people yelling that corona isn't real. my buddy in liuna is going for the jair bolsonaro achievement. this isn't surprising

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

apatheticman posted:

Hes gonnna get a bowel so impacted they have to suck poo poo out of his nose?

No he's trying to get every variant of COVID like he needs to fill out a Pokédex

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

if this happens and Horwath doesn't get the Annamie Paul treatment I'm never taking a call from the ONDP again