Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

i'm learning so many history-sounding statements from this topic
is this what it would be like to hear historians talk about computers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Krankenstyle posted:

seriously thats not a real face, is that another GAN face or something?

i think it's mostly that Test T appears to be morbidly obese and like 300-400lbs

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

i'm on a mission from god

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

maybe they can mistakenly delete facebook

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

dyk in n out managers make like six and a half figgies

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

My Linux Rig posted:

you know what peta stands for??? people eating tasty meat!!! hyuck hyuck hyuck :clint:

i have a dipshit relative who is like this; even as a non-vegetarian it's grating

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

They made an episode of The Simpsons about it and then everyone was too ashamed to keep going.

german roaches are one of the most caloire efficient foods we could eat. another roach produces highly nutritious milk. except, roaches. i'd eat a ground up cricket loaf or whatever, but i would have trouble tucking into a plate of mopani worms or whatever

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

also here's an article about cockroach milk, with this great part:

'Lacking nipples, cockroaches cannot be milked in the county fair sense. A cockroach-inspired thirst-quencher, if it ever existed, would more likely come via yeast, he said. Bioengineered yeast is already used in the food industry to produce synthetic sweeteners, for instance.

Plus, the roach brand is bad for business.

“I don’t think anyone is going to like it if you tell them, ‘We extracted crystals from a cockroach and that is going to be food,’ ” Ramaswamy said. Further examination of the crystals will also tell if the roach crystals are toxic to humans.'

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

lancemantis posted:

there are workable egg replacements for some things -- like you can make meringue and related meringue-like things with garbanzo/chickpea bean soakings, but if you were trying to make something else that needed an egg replacement for a different behavior, you'd have to go find something different

so you end up with like 3+ veg egg replacements all depending on context

to me at least, even if i were otherwise completely vegetarian, i'd have no issue eating certified humane eggs. i don't see the chickens as being harmed. unless it's like a real big egg i guess

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

my bitter bi rival posted:

this is how i look at it too but i also love eggs so im biased

same. a proper over medium egg and toast with a bit of burre is delicious. i wouldn't give up good cheese either

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

i use youtube almost solely to stream music because it's free and they have basically any song ever

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Captain Foo posted:

"Given that conservatives make up between 35-40% of American adults"

this sounded dubious to me so i looked it up, and it's true - gallup has a breakdown here

i knew america was fairly conservative but that surprises me

other interesting tidbits - dems are now more than 50% liberal for the first time ever

guess that's why they pretend like bernie doesn't exist

wonder how people are defining conservative /moderate in their minds

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

The_Franz posted:

they should just add a permanent address field to the back of the passport card and green card, maybe drop the initial issuance fee, and they would be the same as the national id cards in almost every other country. states can go back to just issuing driving permits instead of dealing with the documentation requirements, long lines and confused people that come with real id

you can do that in some states; when i got my license i had several choices, one of which was a non-real id driving privilege card. they had all these tiers available

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

aunt becky no :ohdear:

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

one thing that is nice about big research universities vs. state schools is the resources. like they might just bring in the author of the text for a guest lecture, things like that. probably overwhelming / counterproductive as an undergrad

wherever works best for you imo

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Mahatma Goonsay posted:

well my college is famous for someone dropping a cow out of one of the high rise dorms

was it ok

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

if you're in maine and eating a lobster roll, i've no idea why you would have one at mcd

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Schadenboner posted:

It seems like this is probably more about redshirting it looks like?

I guess my assumption is that astrology like any other system of belief is fundamentally an attempt to apply the pattern finding (which primates invested so much caloric energy into gitting gud at) to things which are unknowable to the science of the day.

Maybe there are dietary or other environmental stressors on development (and that might be prenatal or post natal, really) that were seasonally variable and maybe that affected behavior at the margins enough to embed these findings into folkways?

Like, I wonder if an “August baby” is ascribed different behavioral traits in different astrologies in different parts of the world, and how would those traits line up with the caloric cycle in that region at that time?

The position of the stars are, obviously, incidental (and there was probably at least some understanding of this at the time as well, I mean: “eat more bread, have bigger babby/drink more beer, have dumber babby” isn’t exactly a massive observational leap?). The stars were just the signaling mechanism, the behavioral traits common to people born (and therefore developed) at certain points in the year are the actual information being transmitted?

:shrug:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/922321981

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

this reminds me of reports of thieves unlocking new cars with keyless entry using some homemade device they were circulating plans for

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

speaking of the sky looking different, there are a bunch of historical supernovas that would have been cool as heck to see. in the year 1006, there was a supernova so bright that it was visible during the day (bright enough to cast shadows), and substantially lit up the sky at night

would have been neat to see

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

haveblue posted:

it was a radio relay. you figure out where the key is at the moment and put one end as close as you can get to it, then put the other end next to the car. the car pings the key and does the handshake without realizing there's an intermediary and the doors open

there have been a variety of different devices and methods over the years, they've changed as the key fobs have changed. some they're still not sure how they work. there was one group that focused just on vw cars because they had bad security

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

the juicero was funny tho b/c though it was a bad idea, it was constructed extremely well

it used a lot of expensive parts, but on the tear down i saw they kept commenting about how difficult it would be to service / reliability concerns

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

haveblue posted:

soy un perdedor

i used to think that part said 'oh, head to toe'

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Nothing after 1930 is ever going to be public domain in America thanks to loving Disney, stealing media is your moral right.

there are pockets of intellectual freedom in some areas where artists usually don't enforce copyright. dnb comes to mind, or well there's the cliche free software, public libraries. it is pretty lame waiting 70 odd years though

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

El_Elegante posted:

well we can’t run an a/b test so I guess we’ll never know if this show glamorizing suicide caused a spike in suicides despite the warnings of mental health professionals

a controlled study could be done, it just sounds profoundly unethical

also as far as other confounding factors, there is the fact that when facebook manipulated emotions, they did establish that it had a measurable effect, so the idea that netflix programming had a noticeable effect is a reasonable (though unproven) conclusion. although not a particularly comforting one

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

the unsold us housing inventory is roughly the same size as the homeless population
however could we find housing or support for these people, what could the obstacle be

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Shame Boy posted:

why should dirty lazy homeless people get something for free that i had to pay for huh :colbert:

probably because it's the most cost / resource effective solution, and ideally money shouldn't even exist

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Midjack posted:

he’s already unbelievable.

whoa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfCLt0kTd5E

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

my bitter bi rival posted:

go listen to prairie home companion

i'm so happy that got pulled from npr

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

infernal machines posted:

they market those to adults too now, for years

i don't drink these often, but they're good imo

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

graph posted:

beer is 90% water. the other 10% is ice cold beer

before modern clean water supplies, it was common to just drink low alcohol beer all day. people just low-key drunk all day

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Sniep posted:

this notion of "not drinking water" is completely new to me

like, i get it not tasting like soda or anything but to actively not drink it?

like what do you do if you are thirsty and are out of pop, and you can't go anywhere to get more pop till tomorrow? just, fuckin suffer?

years ago i was curious about the 8 glasses of water a day recommendation. it's actually not clear from research that it's inherently healthier to drink a lot of water, and you can get enough water from your regular diet, especially if you eat foods that contain a significant amount of liquid like fruit or yogurt or what have you. i drink water and tea some, especially if i'm exercising but often i just don't drink much

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Shaggar posted:

maine has some of the best water in the nation. im drinking it right now!

except for the arsenic, be sure to test your well

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Shaggar posted:

i don't have a well

then you're in the minority in rural maine

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

several years ago i didn't drink enough water but then i woke up in the middle of the night in crippling pain from kidney stones. now im always drinking and pissing, but the stones haven't recurred

were you also drinking a lot of soda?

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

in that case, citric acid helps destroy stones, so just chug mtn dew all day

i know you're joking, but mountain dew contains brominated vegetable oil, which is a halogenated hydrocarbon, in addition to being absurdly sweet. bromine is literally banned as a food additive in most of the world. whatever you drink, i'd stay well away from mountain dew (and other foods with bromine)

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Shame Boy posted:

yeah same lol

they removed that in like 2014 actually

not in the us. here

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Shame Boy posted:

i found something from "pepsico beverage facts dot com" that says it still has it as of april 30th of this year so i guess that's a bit more reliable but it's weird that i can't find like, an official page with the ingredients anywhere

e: I guess this is the official site? it looks like a goddamn domain squatter, what the hell pepsi

the reason i linked you to the fan page as opposed to the (somewhat hard to find) pepsi page is because it also helpfully provides other versions around the world for contrast

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

lancemantis posted:

food chat reminds me of seeing an old ms buttersworth ad where they claimed superiority over plain old maple syrup

lol imagine trying to pull that off now

maple syrup is a fairly big deal around here, and someone sued McDs so they have to provide you with real maple syrup with your pancakes. they only do this if you ask, but it's some local pancake law that you have to provide customers with real syrup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

i like the Trainmaster718