Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

DoktorLoken posted:

Looks like they're going after Rosenstein/Mueller: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-..._source=twitter

If Sessions is referring it to the DoJ IG (this guy) it's more likely he's trying to circular file it.

e: what Vasudus said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

mods change my name posted:

they could probably task a company of tanks, a company of marines in uniform, a big rocket thing like the patriot or something i guess, have an f22 scream down the center and somewhere off in the distance someone does a big Naval Foghorn and he would think it was the biggliest parade ever held on earth ever period

It would certainly be represented as such

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/costareports/status/961615957658652672

Good article about Mattis' first year as SECDEF, just the last paragraph is :smith:

Mattis looks a lot more than a year older.
Somebody needs to update the Terminal Lance "Month in the life of a Lieutenant" comic with Trump news instead of E hijinks.

e:this one.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Feb 8, 2018

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Proud Christian Mom posted:

yeah ultimately I don't think this is Mattis's call.

Sounds like it's a handshake deal with the DHS Secretary. (For whatever that's worth)

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Vasudus posted:

i suppose i'm still stuck in the pre escalator days when a major cabinet member saying that he won't be complying with the executive and legislative branches was a big deal

I don't think that's the case with Mattis. I don't think there's actually any legal authority for ICE to deport former DACA kids who were or are in the MAVNI citizenship program. If ICE did deport any of them, ICE be the ones (still) not complying with the legislative branch or their own branch of the executive branch.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Anybody know where the paperwork for a run for Governor of Kansas is? I've never lived there but this news gives me an idea...

Call (785) 296-4561 and ask for the packet.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Remember how Flynn Sr. wanted to kidnap that Gulen dude for Turkey? Nunes was also allegedly present

https://twitter.com/USseriously/status/845740827129397248

The bigwig breakfast on Jan 18, 2017 that Nunes and others attended was not the summer 2016 or December 2016 meetings where the Gulen kidnapping was discussed.
This (non) story is not quite a year old - granted, that's about 8 years in TrumpTime

:tinfoil:Cavusoglu also 'met with' Mattis around the same time as Nunes 'met with' Cavusoglu. :tinfoil:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

facialimpediment posted:

So Democrats in Pennsylvania proposed a new map to fix the gerrymander and probably make their own gerrymander. Republicans proposed a new map to kinda sorta fix it. Republicans are in charge of the legislature, so they offered up their map for approval. The Democratic governor tossed everything, leaving it up to the Pennsylvania Supreme Court.

The Court basically held that the Democrats didn't dream big enough.

https://twitter.com/PoliticsWolf/status/965677129538068480

It's such a bad map for Republicans that they'll likely sue, but uh, who the hell would they sue to?

The US Supreme Court, where they'll be faced with the question, "Wasn't it you guys who told us in PA's redistricting before this one that we're not allowed to rule on this because it's not a federally judiciable question?"

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

bird food bathtub posted:

quote:

In other words, the body of a stray dog killed in a shelter may be ground up into dog food.
Well that's my nightmare fuel for the week taken care of.

When this same issue popped up 20 years ago, that angle got tested, and there was no dog or cat DNA detected in their samples (but which did include pentobarbital, but not in amounts that would cause any effects.)

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

I get that but I'm interested in what CommieGIR said specifically. That's loving evil poo poo right there.

It's sometimes hard to walk those takes back to their original kernel of fact, but I think it's this:

Loesch posted:

They use their media to assassinate real news. They use their schools to teach children that their president is another Hitler. They use their movie stars and singers and comedy shows and award shows to repeat their narrative over and over again. And then they use their ex-president to endorse “the resistance.”

All to make them march. Make them protest. Make them scream racism and sexism and xenophobia and homophobia. To smash windows, burn cars, shut down interstates and airports, bully and terrorize the law-abiding — until the only option left is for the police to do their jobs and stop the madness.

And when that happens, they’ll use it as an excuse for their outrage. The only way we stop this, the only way we save our country and our freedom, is to fight this violence of lies with the clenched fist of truth.

I’m the National Rifle Association of America. And I’m freedom’s safest place.
It's not like this crap needs to be additionally tarted up, anyway.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

Make armed teachers go to the state's police academy because thats basically what they'll be once armed.

They'll also have a better paying career option!

That's almost Oklahoma's answer: The teacher has to have a reserve law enforcement certification ([url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_shooting_of_Eric_Harris]like this guy]) or an armed security guard license. (And permission from the school board)

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

A Bad Poster posted:

Am I crazy, or didn't one of the major congressional advocates for reining in violence in music and video games get sent to jail for illegal weapons trafficking like 10 years ago?

Smiling Jack posted:

Yes. Tried to buy automatic weapons and either RPGs or MANPADS from the Philippines.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leland_Yee

He was also a major gun control advocate.

Leland Yee posted:

It is extremely important that individuals in the state of California do not own assault weapons. I mean that is just so crystal clear, there is no debate, no discussion.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

That Works posted:

Gates and Manafort basically getting the Al Capone treatment right?

Not so much, more "If you're a foreign agent, you've got to register as a foreign agent and follow the rules. Don't lie about being one, don't hide the money you get from being one, and don't lie about it on your taxes, either."
Or, "in order to get away with being an undeclared foreign agent, you're going to break a lot more laws than just the foreign agent registration law, so we'll also charge you for breaking those laws, which you did to avoid being found out as an undeclared foreign agent."

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

It's an essay whose thesis is "AR-15s should be banned." Unlike most opinion pieces, which is where you might be getting confused, its writer knows what the hell she's talking about and used a lot of facts to justify her conclusion.

The factual part of the thesis would be "generally, rifles cause worse injuries than pistols, and rifles with high muzzle velocities are particularly bad. 1/2 mv2 doesn't mess around and doesn't care about the brand, what hardware is attached to the rifle, whether the hardware is wood or plastic, or the operating principle of the rifle."

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Nystral posted:

Isn’t MO the state where the AD assigned the governor a public defender case?

Mostly. Not sure what an AD is, but the head public defender for Missouri appointed the governor (who was also a lawyer) to a PD case.
This was 2016, so the previous governor.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

That Works posted:

Dang, one of my former co-workers and good friend is from GA and he and his husband both adopted a kid this past year. They live in IN right now but were talking about moving back to GA next year. Wonder what they are gonna do now or if this would only apply going forward.
Your friend won't be affected. Unequivocally not affected. Like CommieGIR said, the law doesn't forbid or nullify adoptions, it 'just' allows child placing agencies (which appears to be privatized in GA) to refuse service to (LGBT) people wanting to adopt or be foster parents.

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

Ex post facto laws haven't ever been a valid thing, it's only been that way for hundreds of years.
For (2) hundreds of years the ex post facto clause you have in mind has only applied to criminal matters.

bird food bathtub posted:

Trump just spoke in favor of re-funding mental institutions that some nebulous, totally unknown and unknowable 'government' defunded 'back in the old days'.
But-but-but Saint Reagan! We can't undo His Holy Work!

Floodkiller posted:

Judging by his statement, it's less "fix mental health system" and more "circumvent law by bringing back privately owned asylums to toss the 'mentally ill' in without due process and throw away the key".
The requirement for due process and humane treatment was the other reason why mental health institutions were defunded and dismantled.
But yes, the 'solution' will be to privatize them.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I didn't think this delicious pan-political spectrum singularity of hypocrisy and irony could be topped today. Then came the gun Moonies. 2018 is outdoing itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

M_Gargantua posted:

Umm what is this bullshit

“A leading candidate to become President Donald Trump’s third national security adviser is the auto industry executive Stephen Biegun, according to the officials.”

He worked for Condi Rice and she recommended him to, and he was ok'd by Mattis. In 2018, that's as good as we're going to get.

• Locked thread