Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Frosted Flake posted:

The Catholic Church rose to prominence by taking the place of the shrinking Roman state in aid to orphans, widows, poverty and disaster relief. It was the largest driver of Christianization, creating a Maoist dual power within Roman society.

can you recc a book or books on this...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Biplane posted:

Libraries round these parts have heavily restricted access to ebooks, if at all, to protect small businesses like major international publishing houses. I was able to search my local library online to see if they had a physical copy at least (they did not)

try searching worldcat.org and entering your zip code afterwards.

itll show you public libraries near you that possess that book. you can request it from your local via interlibrary loan. go to your library, find someone, and ask for an ILL form. you might want to write down the oclc number of the title you want, so the ILL person can find it easily (worldcat will tell you what this number is). they will literally ship the book to your local branch and notify you, all you have to do is go pick it up when its ready. some libraries (lovely ONES!!!) charge a small fee for ILL fulfillments, but a dollar or two beats paying $20+.

literally everybody should know about worldcat, it should be part of library 101 in high schools and colleges, and yet nobody does

:capitalism:

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Halisnacks posted:

If librairies hadn’t already been invented, there is no way they could have been created for the first time now.

100%

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Yeah according to the church, attendance minus Yule and poo poo like that is less than 1%. Lmao just convert them into Hesburgers already.

are you trying to get finland invaded by the united states of america? because this would absolutely do it, and ted cruz would be the architect

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Shame Boy posted:

It's the Pinellas Plant in St. Petersburg, Florida. Wikipedia doesn't even give it the dignity of its own article, it's just mentioned in the notes on an article about the current thing on the property: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young-Rainey_Star_Center

I'd just "update it" as suggested but there actually aren't many good sources online to reference, what I've been able to figure out has been from reading through the enormous docket of the EPA cleanup, because they had to interview people and figure out what processes were being used so they knew how to clean the fuckin' thing up. The only other mention I've found that gets what they did there correct is in this self-published book about nuclear weapons I bought a little while ago (mostly because it was 2000 pages long and contained eye-watering amounts of detail about every declassified aspect of every nuclear weapon America has ever done). Even in that book he only mentions it offhand while talking about the development of the stuff they made there and doesn't go into any more detail, though at least he provides a picture of the actual devices that I've found real helpful. Neither of those are really great wikipedia sources.

The one non-environmental-cleanup-related wikipedia cite goes to the current website of the property, here: http://www.young-raineystarcenter.org/about-us/ which doesn't really say anything other than "it made nuclear weapons components". The WSJ link is just an aggregation of superfund data, and it's also... kinda wrong? Like here:

https://www.wsj.com/graphics/waste-lands/site/364-pinellas-plant-general-electric-co/

So "radioisotope-powered" would imply something like an RTG used on spacecraft, but that's not what they did there. From deep in the EPA interviews and from the one book that mentions it, the thing they did was build the electronic neutron initiators, which are basically tiny fusion reactors that generate a burst of neutrons right as the primary reaches critical mass, to ensure it fires at exactly the point when its most dense. In fact, they built every single neutron initiator used in every single American nuclear weapon manufactured over the course of 50 loving years, right up to the 90's.

My ultimate goal would be to write, at the very least some kinda article, maybe even a little book about the place, and then maybe that can be cited on wikipedia. It's very weird to me that the factory in charge of making the tiny fusion reactor that blows up nuclear bombs is so hard to find any information about, and today the most visible thing at the site is... the DMV.

so i'm gonna need the title of uli's self-published "history of american nukes" (please)

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Frosted Flake posted:

It was mostly this. There are some books on the "politics" of sacrifice. In Greece, for example, sacrificing livestock was essentially throwing a BBQ for the working class and could build support for members of the ruling class in return. The coalition that opposed Pericles were popular because of their observance of sacrifice. Yes, piety, sure, but also they were the ones working class shlubs associated with pit beef, and got their votes in return.

this makes so much loving sense

solidarity thru bbq, thru the ages

sign me the gently caress up

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Shame Boy posted:

Eh plenty of stuff sure but like, the Saturn V really didn't have much military potential or even transferrable technologies. I know we like being cynical as all hell (and for good reason) but c'mon we walked on the loving moon and even in the deepest of cold war rah rah bullshit tensions the plaque we left still says "from the planet earth" and not "from America" and idk, that's something at least :sigh:

Next one we leave is gonna be an ad for FritoLay, isn't it

confederate monument, or something with a billionaire's name on it

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

ty

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Milo and POTUS posted:

I told my friend about the jenny trick to get points or rewards at places and he called me a thief lmao

my first boss said if we were less than 80% billable during the day, or filled in a timesheet incorrectly, that was time theft. i was making minimum wage at the time, it owned so hard

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

i am harry posted:

I like when I say I don’t have my card and the lady at the register uses hers. she must have so many free gas points

the first boss i mentioned earlier also had a policy about these (perks accumulated thru purchases, like rewards points). they were company property and he demanded that we report/surrender them immediately. ditto if you went to a convention and won something in a drawing or giveaway. "you will be fired and we will call the police!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

im telling you, small business owners are the biggest psychos on the planet

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

BonHair posted:

At the self checkout, the teenagers are always super tired and just click okay as fast as possible. Self Scan has automated random checks, and they also don't give a poo poo, so at best they catch if you accidentally scanned something without bagging it. I'm pretty sure I've accidentally shoplifted because something didn't scan at some point.

I guess in corporate, this means that there should be checks on the teenagers to make sure they aren't phoning it in. Luckily, so far Danish corporate has decided that it's not worth the hassle.

american management would make this a top priority

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

To be fair... posted:

self checkouts are peak neoliberalism

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Dog Case posted:

Our Walmart has the blue light it's on the sign for the parking spot in front (it used to be the closest handicap spot) reserved for the cops

When I worked at home depot everybody hated using self checkout because everything is big and heavy and sucks to scan. They expected the self checkout cashier to help everybody and basically check them out like a regular register, except there were four checkouts and only one attendant so you'd just end up with them helping one customer while the other three were waiting getting mad and waiting for help when they had a problem

Also rats made a nest in one of the machines and ate all the wires and pissed all over everything so that was pretty great

if you work at a small business and point out that something like this is a bad idea, you just get accused of having a bad attitude and/or being lazy

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Biplane posted:

The State Vs. Donkey Kong

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Shame Boy posted:

Also got to point out all the mistakes people made when programming receipt printers because I wrote the entire receipt printer interface, and there's a lot and once you start noticing them you can't loving stop. Nobody knows how to properly center anything!!!!!

pride in workmanship is another contradiction of capitalism. doing a good job on something rarely has anything to do with how profitable -- and therefore how good -- it really is. the only thing that matters is if the transaction clears

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

buying out all of Burger King's hamburgers and selling them for $.50 less than whatever the current Wendy's surge price is just before the speakerbox at wendy's

this is how libertarians think things work

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Shame Boy posted:

I just knew there'd be hustlegrinders in the replies and yep

https://twitter.com/NicktheBuilder_/status/1764764239569232298

what the gently caress

who are these people

what

what the gently caress kind of psycho does this

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Arivia posted:

no that guy just liked em young (and enslaveable)

wait WHAT

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

cash crab posted:

hey i have a question wrt grocery stores. there is a cop at the entrance of my grocery store at all times. i feel like the stupid answer as to why this is because of large thefts but I worked in a grocery store and we got robbed all the time, and i don’t see why the presence of a gun would make that situation better since the guys holding us up usually had guns too.

why is the cop there then? is it to scare people? i was waiting for a woman to get out of the way so i could put my cart back and said cop was getting an apb about a mostly naked guy with two guns nearby and i feel like maybe he should be taking care of that rather than patrolling the grocery store.

its not that the one cop with the one gun can do much, its that they have a radio they can use to summon more cops, with more guns.

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Arivia posted:

that's paid for. that's higher-class. graffiti is the youth doing things without permission!!!!

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Regarde Aduck posted:

if people don't destroy these things then everyone deserves this poo poo world

i am once again reminding the olds and/or europeans in this thread that public protest and property destruction are super-duper felonies in these united states. that poo poo worked in the 70s or whatever, now it gets you state prison and permanent unemployment

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

spechtie posted:

I understand that, I just dont think the US is special when it comes to the danger of protesting

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_sb9upliboY1s1ddrj_720.mp4

then youre hopelessly naive and/or european

you have no idea how fascist the us is, zero. the only labor solidarity in the us is between police, who can kill or imprison with impunity

this isnt greece, where throwing molotov cocktails at cops is something that just happens. we use tanks on unarmed protestors here, and our cops have air forces

edit: friendly reminder that multiple US states/localities have tried to make criticism or filming of police a crime.

america loves the boot, it craves the boot, it needs the boot. we want slavery, trump, and the olive garden.

Consolidated Ed has issued a correction as of 19:51 on Apr 3, 2024

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

This came up in the Ukraine thread, but the one time Germans actually protested against the Holocaust, the Rosenstrasse protest, the protestors won, no violence was used against them, and memos show the Nazi party was immediately concerned and responsive to public protest against one of their policies.

Contemporary Liberalism, is literally more heavy handed and less responsive than Naziism.

im telling you, read about what happened with the baader-meinhof people. the nazis ran the german police back then (like literal "ex" card-carrying members of the nazi party), and their investigatory and detention policies were significantly more humane than anything in america. baader was allowed to keep over 900 books in his cell, everybody had easy access to medical care and drugs, they all had record players and radios, etc. at one point, the authorities were considering putting some of the group members on suicide watch, with 24/7 lights on in the cells, and this was deemed too cruel lol standard jail policy in the US was determined to be too cruel by actual nazis

in america, they would have locked them in solitary for 2 decades with no human contact, all the lights on, no real clothes or bedding or anything like books, and/or exposed them to relentless sexual violence

the US is the most insanely hosed up fascist hellhole, its really something.

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice
you know what else is super cool about america? how a bunch of chud states turned down free meals for children lol proudly too

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

jetz0r posted:

Remember when all the leaders of the Ferguson BLM protests committed suicide?

And how a bunch of leaders of the 2020 George Floyd protests also decided to shoot themselves in their burning car, or lynch themselves?

Anyways, you see that new show on Netflix?

yeah and i also remember liberals crying for more cops and more money for cops and PLEASE WE LOVE COP DICK AND COP BALLS

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Orange Devil posted:

The first wave RAF ofcourse did somehow manage to abuse all that freedom in prison to coordinate a collective suicide by shooting themselves in the base of the neck at an angle that is physiologically very unlikely...

im just trying to reiterate out how nazi the US is dude, im not trying to rehabilitate nazis or glorify postwar west germany or some poo poo. my point was that the german state considered these people very dangerous, and spent tons of money persecuting them, and they still didnt come close to the kind of repression thats routine, for normal people all the time, in every single us detention facility

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Coolness Averted posted:

Not including photos to dox myself, but my company is celebrating a big anniversary. They put out an email about the merch store full of 'limited time swag' available on the company intranet. So I take a look at the anniversary stuff and they actually expect staff to pay for it.

They've done a bunch of weird stuff like IT requests also go through a 'store' interface and PPE comes from a vending machine -neither of which require employees to actually pay for anything, it's just the framework. So I assumed that's what the anniversary merch store was, but nope they legit seem to think employees wanna spend 40 bucks on a hoody with the company's logo or 30 for a high end lunch box.

lol if you haven’t worked for a place where this was implicitly required, and management “noticed” if you didn’t participate

I really hope gen z destroys a lot of this

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

MLKQUOTEMACHINE posted:

poo poo like this reminds me of that quote from the Iranian cleric about how Americans have no real heroes, only brands and their mascots.

the only part he got wrong is that we’re not allowed to, it’s not really a choice

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

tokin opposition posted:

Lol how are we supposed to do that? The boomers are all senior management now, then the sellout Xers under that.

idk man, ive been pointing out boomer crimes for years now and all it gets me is scolding from willa et al

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

anybody who knows me knows i JUST LOVE LIBERALS

wanna KISS them

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

3D Megadoodoo posted:

One time I was reading a novel (based on real events I think) written by a communist, describing young German boys fighting in the resistance against the Nazi regime, and the people sitting opposite me kept giving me looks. I surreptitiosly checked if my pants were split at the crotch, and tried to peep my reflection in the window to see if I had maybe toothpaste all over my chin or something.

When I got to my stop and put the book in my bag, I realized the cover image was basically just a big-rear end Nazi emblem (when viewed from any distance).

what was the book

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

"It's Not What You Think" by Rudolf Shimmler

late but ty

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Biplane posted:

Halo: the fall of Reach

ty

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Facebook Aunt posted:

Their test costs $2500 per embryo. They aren't actually doing anything to improve the embryo, you just pay them to test all your embryos and they'll tell you which ones are losers. So people who were already doing massively expensive IVF can make it even more expensive to make sure the implant the best ones. If, like her, you produced 16 apparently viable embryos this would cost $40,000 to help pick out the best one.

How is this supposed to improve the birth rate exactly?

america has determined that only rich people get help with fertility issues, this is by design

i know two people who are having kids and theyre both medical doctors. not one person in my extended family or friends is having kids. you just...cant. like in california it's a laughable proposition unless you have homeowning parents or family wealth or a really lucrative career. state government seems fine with it!

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Zündschnüre by Franz Josef Degenhardt

that is one hell of a swastika you werent kidding

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Dr. Killjoy posted:

I think she did worse in polling afterwards

if you’ve ever worked customer service the phrase “Are you calling me a liar?” or variations of such signals that you are dealing with some of the worst individuals you can encounter

i have a boss who asks complicated questions but says "yes or no, [question]" first, and then gets angry when the responder doesnt respond with yes or no first. "i asked you a yes or no question"

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Shame Boy posted:

Yeah well how am I supposed to make well-informed executive decisions if I have to think huh??

this is the same person who unironically hit me with "do you know what they say about assumptions? they make an rear end out of U and ME" when i told him i had made an assumption about a customer ticket that seemed reasonable at the time. also called me a motherfucker for losing some timesheets. LOL love small business owners baby!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Facebook Aunt posted:

Quiet quitting is like that, but without even telling managers that you're doing it because you've lost hope that better things are possible.

lol more like "you dont tell managers this because they will retaliate against you". managers love retaliation, its part of why they got into manager poo poo. a manager's brain tells them to fire somebody who was 1 minute late despite being warned, because its a threat to their authority or some insane nonsense.