Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

death to america
:d2a:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Curlyswooper

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Lousy Smarch weather.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

AOCIA posted:

Enjoying a nice breeze through the screen door...in December....in Michigan.
Had all the windows open because it was getting too hot inside with some family over. In Ohio.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

yippeekiyaymf posted:

I feel like we have been in the longest running disaster movie that doesn’t have one focus - plague, tornadoes, hurricanes, blizzards, fires.
Yup. With a "gain" knob very slowly being turned up.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

SirPablo posted:

Waiting for a wildfire to sweep from Colorado to New York.
It won't make it through the great lakes States. It hasn't stopped raining in a year.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Now that climate change has impacted McMansionland maybe we will take it serio...sorry, couldn't complete that sentence.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Eh, they look big with an unnecessary number of rooflines. Thats basically the broad brush for "McMansion"

Edit: Took a tour around the neighborhood on street view and there's a lot of smaller houses in there, so not exactly a mcmansion development. Can't blame people for assuming mcmansion area when all you can see are curving streets and cul de sacs, though.

stealie72 has issued a correction as of 17:21 on Dec 31, 2021

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Not sure anyone is celebrating.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

SirPablo posted:

Those pets were no angels.
They are now. :smith:

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Sharkie posted:

my heart is singing like a gospel choir and i have over 1000 confetti party poppers and i'm going to pop one for each house that burns
Oh, sorry. Carry on.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Relevant Tangent posted:

I am going to enjoy it. Snow makes all the outdoor tourist stuff even prettier.
I was taking a photography class during a DC winter when it snowed (99 maybe?) and got some absolutely fantastic shots of the soldiers in the Korean War memorial. Looked like they were on patrol on a snowy night.

Plus getting a day off because there is 2 inches of snow rules. Assuming now that the feds have discovered WFH this is no longer a thing.

Winter in DC>>Summer in DC

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

500excf type r posted:

Growing up in CT 30+ years ago I can recall ice skating on farm ponds in November and December and now you are lucky if they're frozen enough by February if ever

Planet X posted:

I definitely have this, especially as a cross country skier and snow lover.

Paradoxish posted:

I used to love winter hiking and now it's like well I guess I'll go out to the trail and stomp around in the mud
:smith::respek::smith: :smith: :smith:

I live in the Lake Erie snow belt in OH and haven't taken my XC skis out at all in 2 years, got out once the year before that on some lovely slush, and a couple times the 2-3 years before that. Growing up in WNY, I could choose when I went out because there was a decent base all winter. The lighted XC ski trail near me is now just a "winter night hike trail" that is mostly mud. It's loving depressing.

OTOH, at least we're not getting hurrinadoes and firestorms in Great Lakes, and don't seem to get blizzards anymore, so. . . yay?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Rynn posted:

Yep. In NWPA the ground stays soggy and the trees and plants aren’t drinking like they would in spring/summer so all that rainfall just collects. I have a shallow well and that water table is so high, I could touch the top of my well water with a broom.

Without cold weather to freeze the ground and a snowpack it just accumulates and makes a swamp everywhere. Imagine how it’ll be a decade from now.
Yeah, same in NE Ohio. I don't think the ground has been dry in more than a year, and trees are getting blown over from their roots because the soil is so swampy.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Actually I think you'll find it's the humans that are drooling everywhere like rats. We are in the deers way
While this is true, deer are also garbage and it boggles my mind that there is an entire hunting culture set up around them.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Femur posted:

I had a coworker brag about hunting boars with bows and arrows before. But than i found out boars like just burrow in some hole and they just smoke the whole family out. They hun in nort texas they showed me.
SA used to have a guy who was in charge of slaughtering dozens of boar that were destroying his brother's farm in either Texas or Louisiana. After a while, he started killing them with a spear through their heart/lungs because it wouldn't make them scatter as widely as shooting them did.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

it's okay how cold can record lows even be in a place as balmy and pleasant as the great lakes?
My weather knowledge is limited to one college course and what I read in here, so I'm happy to be told im a moron, but having spent 38/45ths of my life in the great lakes, this doesn't seem all that unusual?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Slider posted:

stocked up and ready for the impending coldapocalypse. may all the great lakes freeze over so we can build high speed ice rail between regions. amen
It will just be destroyed when they thaw because its 50 and raining the next week.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
I'm not quite sure why the extremely cursed State of Ohio is being saved.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
My first thought of "Man, sledding on a piece of plastic is a young man's game" made me feel about a million years old.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Perfect.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Perry Mason Jar posted:

You're leaving out a lot of rules!
What else is there, other than the one about yellow snow?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The tarp is on your car for like 12 hours
Seriously, is this a bit, or have you never actually seen snow?

I guess it would "work" if you get a dusting and can just sort of flick the tarp off your car.

Edit: Because this

shame on an IGA posted:

because the tarp holding 8" of snow across a roughly 6' x 20' surface weighs north of 1500 lbs, is why

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

hifi posted:

the russians used a tarp.
This didn't get enough love, and I appreciate you.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Why don't they simply build the entire city out of hurricane-proof buildings?
Because then you're in Omaha, and nobody wants that.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

tater_salad posted:

I think we need to name storms after musical genere pulled from a hat.

Hurricane NWA will make landfall on Tuesday

Or

Hurricane Ramstein will be category 5.
With apologies to Henry Rollins:
Hurricane The First Four Black Sabbath Albums

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
It's currently 56゚ warmer than it was 32 hours ago. And 32 hours from now it's going to be 35゚ colder. This is fine.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Koirhor posted:

Wouldn’t want to be a dustbin in shaftesburry tonight
No one knows what its like/to be a dustbin/in shaftsbury

Hopefully there are no hooligans about.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

TACD posted:

https://twitter.com/MCatrillo/status/1508497137889431556?s=20&t=eFLWVWE0E37UL1R1jdrq3Q

3 people dead but no update yet on if this guy managed to retrieve his charger
Yeah, the Swift rear-ending the other semi like 9 seconds in does not seem particularly survivable since the drivers side of the cab gets obliterated.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Holy poo poo that's rad.

Also it's 71 and there's still snow that fell yesterday on the ground. But I live in the Great Lakes, so this is a thing that happens.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Good soup! posted:

I'm just so tired of all this weather!?!;;;;;
Everyone complains about it but nobody does a drat thing about it.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Zerg Mans posted:

how do you people remember this
Because we used to have four channels and this was on every ad break all summer? :corsair:

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Eight hundred

Five eight eight....

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Unf. I've been mainlining nostalgia like heroin in the past couple years and ended up watching several hours of 80s and 90s holiday commercials last December. They were like a nice warm blanket.

More on topic- The Great Lakes are enjoying some lovely 40 degree swings in our daily highs. I guess at least we aren't going to boil to death like texas.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Y'all never had a grandpa that was convinced that only Mercurochrome would stop the germs. . .

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

bi crimes posted:

i was told i would have 50 years of a mild warming and gentle sea rise
You have.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
There's only harm reduction.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Fascists cooking the poors alive in their homes today in Columbus.
Nah, just the corrupt energy companies that bought out the state government.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

1glitch0 posted:

Guy Fieri's Malibu Fire sliders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
From the other side of this, I work with multiple organizations that help people that have fallen off the straight and narrow.

It costs society from tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars to get a single person back on track, whether that's because they were in jail, because they were addicted, because they dropped out of school, or just because some unfortunate poo poo happened to them. And this is to help them maybe scrape out a meager life. Maybe. Tens of thousands of your tax and philanthropic and tax dollars, all because we had to be assholes to poor and dumb people.

Our society just does not give a flying gently caress what happens to any one of us, and thanks to our birth being poisoned by a bunch of Calvinist bullshit and/or it being too hard to face the actual truth of the matter, everyone pretends it's your fault and you deserve to spend 20 years trying to put your life back in order because you got drunk one time and were late for work so you got fired and couldn't make rent and you got evicted and all your stuff got thrown on the lawn and none of your friends would help you get it, and you couldn't afford a uhaul, and now you're living in your car with a few possessions because you've sold or bartered everything that's got any value to stay alive and...

Also, it's hot as gently caress and nobody cares about climate change and even if we fix everything else we're all going to boil to death.

Eat arbys.