Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Takoluka posted:

Let's just say, using standard Virtual Console pricing, that Final Fantasy Adventure is $4.99 and Secret of Mana is $7.99. At approximately $12, that would leave the third title at $28.

SD3 is a never-before Western-released SNES game. They didn't just pull out an existing ROM and touch it up like Earthbound Beginnings or Star Fox 2. From what we can tell, this is new work. On top of that, the average clear time is about 25-30 hours, maybe more depending on who you are. I think that's worth a $30 price tag. $1/hour of solid RPG entertainment is pretty reasonable, I think!

There are also like three sets of stories going on in tandem and you can only see the full story of one per playthrough. It is a really big game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
Here's the bad revolution/wii mockup I made back then and tried to pass off as real via... 4chan? I think:

I was very much of the mind that yes this is what the new interface will look like, super cluttered and very not legible on a SDTV. Still some people went through the tiny amount of effort (GIS match for the projector picture) to debunk it :P

I was so sure they were just going to call their online marketplace the "Nintendo Store" too! I think I was trying very hard to base it off of some kind of home console/hybrid successor of the DS...

Edit: I was trying to remember what site eventually picked it up because one did, and now I remember it was featured in an article rounding up the many mockups that people made; it felt like everyone had something cooked up.

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 31, 2020

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
Is there, a new switch! coming? in 2021

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

John Wick of Dogs posted:

One nation controls the salt, one nation controls the iron, we couldn't think of a third thing the other nation controls in this game, but you can't make a shape with only two sides

the third one controls the war

also skyward sword is great minus Fi, please Nintendo, let me turn Fi off or disable her in Hero mode or something, thanks!

WANT THEM JOYCONS

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
I have to say, Capcom Arcade Stadium is seriously a great package and something I didn't know I wanted until now. Yeah it's "just" arcade games at a glance but really it's so much more than that; there's lots of configuration options for both the game display on a per game level, stuff like CRT filter options, along with stuff like difficulty dip switches, and there's also full detailed manuals for each of the games that goes over the mechanics and controls.

The big thing for me is the score and special challenges that have you attempting to rank online in a single credit; I thought the 1943 special challenge was a neat surprise. You have a class ranking too that you earn points towards levelling just by playing the games, which unlocks customization options for now just the game backgrounds when playing in direct mode, but also the cabinets themselves when playing in the first person presence mode.

Speaking of which, when you play a game in that first person presence mode the buttons and sticks on the cabinet all move, but my favorite thing is when you insert a quarter you get this nice chonky coin insertion sound to go alongside it and if you play in this mode you are actually putting in a virtual quarter into the slot!

So far, my only gripe is that Capcom did not create Dragon Spirit otherwise I'd have no gripes than maybe not doing the ROM type switch per game instead of globally. Seriously, I feel like Namco has done something on this level before but these days they're just making GBS threads out 8-bit ports, what happened to them, man.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Wamdoodle posted:

The closest thing I can think of are the NAMCO Museum Vol. 1-5 on the PSX which gave you a little 3d Museum to walk around and see the original arcade flyers and little easter eggs. The SNK collection is probably the closest to the Capcom one. Arcade roms and their accompanying NES rom to go with it if there is one plus flyers but no fancy online ranking but still good, imo.

That reminds me I still need to get the SNK collection! And yeah it was the PSX Namco Museum entries; I remember a friend showing me that stuff and I thought that was cool even then. They should take a page from what Capcom's doing here and give it another go because Namco's got a great library too and at this point they could probably venture into some of the stuff they were releasing in the 90s now instead of just sticking with the golden oldies.

hatty posted:

How are the screen flipping options? I have a flip grip and would love more games I can play with it

That was the first thing I checked and I'm happy to report you get full control over the orientation! My Flip Grip is super happy :v:

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
If I give my (real good IRL) friend my nintendo account login can he play my copy of Miitopia on his switch with my saved data? We've been having a good time hanging out and he's been watching me play but today I am super tired from work and just cannot and if he wants to play for a day instead it'd be cool to let him

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

grieving for Gandalf posted:

if you have the subscription and upload your save data, yeah.

He said he'd be fine to just wait a day, but this is good to know. thanks!

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Stux posted:

interesting you completely ignore quake 3 on dreamcast which destroys your entire argument

It had keyboard and mouse support which were widely available at the time and why yes I did have both

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
EMMI, you say? Hmmm.... Where... have I.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTcOOzD-JQs

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
This is good news! Hell yeah. Good stuff!

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Butterfly Valley posted:

Just chiming in to say Chris Pratt as Mario can gently caress right off

Also can't wait for DUDE, Bananas, lmao or whatever

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Feels Villeneuve posted:

man I wanted astral chain 2

I have to be the only person who got suckered by the astral chain joke

No I was right there with ya. Here's hoping someday

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Feels Villeneuve posted:

vendor-3 (rude) in smash when

October 5th!

Mega64 posted:

They're charging an unknown amount more just for N64 and Genesis.

I'll probably pony up the extra cash though, if only so I can double my F-Zero game collection on my Switch.

I might go for it but I will probably buy some of those N64 controllers, pair them to my PC and then never actually use them with the switch.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
Introducing Nintedlasso

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
Nintendo has taken to incremental upgrades but in extremely slight increments that gracefully transition into just being a full-blown Switch Dua in 2030.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
Question for anyone else playing Dungeon Encounters: does anyone have any spotify recommendations for music since this game did not include a soundtrack beyond two songs?

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

lets hang out posted:

Good news every 10 floors you get another battle track

Hmm I'm tempted to turn the music back on... do the tracks feature more than one instrument?

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
Dungeon Encounters has been a wild ride so far, if you're at all into dungeon crawling and some old school wizardry I highly suggest giving it a go.

A treasure mouse reached into my pockets so hard it took half a million gold from me and I only had 80k. but it's OK now everything gets entombed or eaten!

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

lets hang out posted:

I started getting the big movement upgrades around F40 or whatever and then just stopped doing the rpg part and spent hours exploring the bottom half of the dungeon instead. Now I have a bunch of weapons that are like 50 times stronger than what I had before, it's ridiculous lol

I also, and this is a real spoiler for the very bottom floors but also a helpful tip, dropped one of my guys into a pitfall on F92 or so and he "fell for an eternity" and is now wandering -somewhere- in this 99 floor dungeon, and I'll probably never find him again, so my advice is don't walk into pitfalls at the bottom of the dungeon.

Oh yeah that, totally already happened to me with my entire opening party, lol. There was a one-way teleporter on like floor 38 that went to 92 and then another one to 97 where they fell through a hole and I lost them all. I spent some time tonight getting the rest of the wanderers and then right after I was able to find them again. I forget exactly where the ability to see pitfalls is, I believe it was between floors 40 and 60.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Welp, just one more week until we can finally stop complaining about the price and play N64 games on the Switch :toot:

I might complain about N64 controller stock once or twice until I get one!

You know, I really liked the N64 controller. I like the button coloring and placement, that neat little slightly-recessed red start button, those nice spree-looking blue and green buttons, the little chonky yellow C buttons. The middle prong with the stick and trigger that eventually became the basis for the Nunchuck design. The left prong, which was included exclusively and solely for the best game on the system, Mischief Makers. The bottom port that can give you access to things like rumble, saving your game, transporting your poke-prisoners into the gladiatorial arena that is Pokemon Stadium, and probably more that I'm forgetting though it doesn't matter as the NSO version doesn't have a working port. I fondly remember first using one to play Mario 64 over at a friends house shortly before getting one for Christmas. The rest is a blur, except for Mischief Makers and Quest64. Goddamn, I really hated Quest64.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Zurtilik posted:

OH gently caress AND MYSTICAL NINJA!

I would've added it to my above post but work won't let me edit posts for some reason ahhhh!!!

It's a feature; the more birds that bless this page the better.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Willo567 posted:

GIVE US SIM CITY SNES FOR FUCKS SAKE

But we aleady have the superior SimAnt!

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

6 days left until I'm rocking some F-Zero X and Ocarina of Time FISHING ONLY on the Switch! :toot:

I swear I come from a different timeline where Ocarina of Time didn't have fishing because I sure don't remember it! Was it like Link's Awakening?

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

There's only one place for it, and it's in Lake Hylia. You can't do it from the start, but I forget what you have to do to unlock it.

I love it so much, that it bugs me a lot that BOTW has zero fishing that doesn't involve bombs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P73Y2tA_J30

Well you can shoot them with an arrow or just... dive in there and catch them with your hands yeah that was a bit disappointing.

At the very least I have a legitimate reason to go replay OoT now!

EDIT: Watching the video and yeah I'm pretty sure 12-13 year old me decided I 100% the game without ever touching that. What a silly child I was

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
Jeez I just realized in the whole Mario sports pantheon there is no "Mario Fishing". Talk about a missed opportunity! Could even do some party-style speed fishing minigames with the joy-cons.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Stux posted:

wow yeah like some kind of "mario party" thaht had fishing minigames... can you imagine???

That'd be cool! Yeah they should make a Mario party game.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Chronojam posted:

Shinespark fishing is what Nintendo needs to deliver to the hands of waiting fans

wanted to replace funky mode with stux but alas we're out of time

also forgot the fish apparently whoops

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
They should have gone bigger and make everything a Nintendo64-style controller port

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

repiv posted:

Bring back the controller ports from the original Xbox that were electrically just USB, but physically huge

There ya go, something like that. I never get the orientation mixed up on those. USB-C is a good step in the right direction but now I can't find the port in the dark! It needs to be motions hands outward with emphasis BIGGERT.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
Any Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit speedrunners out there? I'm curious

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
"And here comes coffee table skip"

*picks up the cart and throws it across the room*

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

flavor.flv posted:

I have Rally-X and Mappy on my switch already :dadjoke:

I love it

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
I like using the screenshot button to quickly take pictures of locked doors and treasure chests that I can't open so I can easily remember to come back to them later. I would not do this if I had to drill down into a lovely sub-menu every single time. Thanks for reading!

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
I'll have fun with them but until I get one of those wireless N64 Controllers I'm Definitely Going To Feel Like Half The Magic Isn't There.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
They need to stock more than 6 controllers on the store site at a time so I can loving buy one yes I'm mad

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Lol, nope. Just gets the MODE button.

Also you can get third-party, six-button, Bluetooth ones that are functionally identical for $20AUD cheaper.

Also, just tried the wired controllers that come with the Genesis Mini... They do in fact... NOT work! Boo! Hiss!

Oh well lol

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
I'm playing the N64 games

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
I have named link "50 bones" in honor of this momentous occasion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
Woohoo got an N64 controller finally!